DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Banshee (S3E05) -- "Tribal" -- 2/6/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625027-banshee-s3e05-tribal-2-6-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-06-15 04:13 PM

Banshee (S3E05) -- "Tribal" -- 2/6/15

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psa744c552.jpg

Episode 3.05 - Tribal
Debut: FRIDAY, FEB. 6 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT)

All hell breaks loose as Chayton (Geno Segers) and an army of Redbones invade Banshee, looking to avenge the Tommy’s death at the hands of Raven (Chaske Spencer), the Kinaho tribesman-turned-deputy. Holed up in the Cadi with Lucas (Antony Starr) and his deputies, Proctor (Ulrich Thomsen) is frustrated by his inability to attend to his ailing mother at home. As the assault reaches a fever pitch, Bunker (Tom Pelphrey) tries to prove to Medding (Afton Williamson) that he’s not the man he used to be.

Written by Adam Targum; directed by Ole Christian Madsen.

Episode 5 of 10

:banana: I cannot freaking wait for this tonight. Shit is going down.

and 2-3 days after it airs, we'll be hearing from slop101 on how BS and illogical this episode was. :lol:

blairwitchfan 02-06-15 10:24 PM

Re: Banshee (S3E05) -- "Tribal" -- 2/6/15

Brutal, man, Brutal.

Unclejosh 02-06-15 10:44 PM

Very sad. Loved Siobhan Kelly.

Josh-da-man 02-06-15 11:07 PM

R.I.P. Siobhan, off to that big fridge in the sky. Say hi to Nola for me!

Deftones 02-06-15 11:08 PM

Wow, that was tense as fuck. I think the writing was on the wall for that specific death this season. Seemed like they were headed that way so far.

They did the one thing I hate, where they aren't picking up the bad guys guns and using them. Yes, I know trusted weapons and such, but still, the attackers had plenty of automatic weapons. Grab a few of those and even up the odds a little. Plus, hood should've held onto one of those grenades instead of using both. No reason to use both on that truck.

Next week's preview looked unreal.

DJariya 02-07-15 12:04 AM

:( Shit, Siobhan That was a heart breaking scene, especially after she and Hood sort of made up. But, I agree the writing was sort of on the wall about her fate. That was some good acting by Starr in this episode. There was some really good character moments too.

This episode overall was intense as shit. Some great directing and music. It was literally Assault on Precinct Banshee. Chayton is one hardcore mother fucker. He was totally no holds barred. I do agree with Deftones about the weapons issue. They literally had dozens of automatic weapons laying around at their disposal after killing all those Indians that assaulted the precinct, but they chose to ignore them.

Interesting to note, the director of this episode Ole Christian Madsen, this show is his 1st American project. He already has several directing credits on the show. He did some great work here.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0535234/

Adken 02-07-15 02:08 AM

Crazy episode! You kinda had to see the whole "she knows the truth so she HAS to die!", but still sad to see her go.

dex14 02-07-15 08:22 AM

That really fucking sucks... Just brutal...

~~ PAL ~~ 02-07-15 10:03 AM

Sad to see Siobhan go, but the very beginning essentially foreshadowed her fate.

Was sort of expecting Burton to show up and get a few mop up kills, but it seems they decided to stay focused on Siobhan's death.

Proctor's lawyer was a fucking moron, but I guess they needed an excuse to let him out of the cell.

Ropes Pierre 02-07-15 02:54 PM

as everyone said, found it completely ridiculous they didn't pick up automatic weapons and use them. i don't think it would have made any difference to the final outcome, but maybe Siobhan might have had a chance if she had a gun and hunkered down somewhere.

i was actually upset as the end was coming. physically so. which i think speaks to how real and well acted this all was. i spoke before of how Siobhan really seemed to make hood happy, and realized this is not a show about happy endings. i didn't want to believe it would end like this, but it was sadly inevitable this episode.

i liked that there was no deux ex machina rescue. burton didnt come and single handidly mop up the redbones, the staties didn't save the day. hell they arrived moments too late to save siobhan which makes it all the sadder.

i also didnt take hoods face at the end as some "yeah badass ass kicking is coming", but how he continues to lose people he loves and has to give up more and more of his humanity and peace as time goes on in order to revenge himself.

i didnt see the coming attractions, but i dont know how the redbones aren't hunted to the ends of the earth by major law enforcement now. attacking a police station and killing a deputy should bring in everything short of the national guard.

i am still shaking.

Josh-da-man 02-07-15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre (Post 12388918)

i didnt see the coming attractions, but i dont know how the redbones aren't hunted to the ends of the earth by major law enforcement now. attacking a police station and killing a deputy should bring in everything short of the national guard.

Hijacking a military truck filled with weapons should have the feds swarming Banshee like a plague of locusts.

Though I suspect that guy running the military base is crooked, so I doubt that was an 'official' convoy, and the feds wouldn't know anything about it.

slop101 02-07-15 11:02 PM

Really didn't like them killing off Siobhan*. But I guess that sets up Hood's revenge.

*that name bothers me because who the fuck came up with that spelling, as it sounds nothing like how it's spelled.

dino88 02-07-15 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ (Post 12388757)
Sad to see Siobhan go, but the very beginning essentially foreshadowed her fate.

Yeah, I wish they didn't make it so obvious with the intro that she was going to die.

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12389204)
Really didn't like them killing off Siobhan*. But I guess that sets up Hood's revenge.

*that name bothers me because who the fuck came up with that spelling, as it sounds nothing like how it's spelled.

The Irish.

FuQ 02-07-15 11:57 PM

How on Earth is this only the 5th episode? This would have been a season finale for most shows. It is sad to see her go and it did piss me off they never picked up any of the weapons. What a great show!

starseed1981 02-08-15 11:33 AM

Holy fuck balls was that intense. Poor Siobhan. Someone needs to cast that actress really quickly.

I was honestly expecting Burton to show up dual wielding rocket launchers or something.

mcnabb 02-09-15 07:59 AM

I'm going to play alittle devils advocate with everyone here, and I think that this 'character death' trend we are seeing in TV drama's today a starting to have an anti-climatic effect.

I knew in the first 5 minutes of the episode someone was going to die, and most likely it was going to be Siobhan. So what happens you get so focused who is going to bite it, that it dillutes the effectiveness of the show.

I think any character death in any show should be shocking and you shouldn't see it coming, that is when it really hits you hard. But now with Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc, you watch a show like Banshee, and you are expecting it now.

barelypure 02-09-15 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre (Post 12388918)
as everyone said, found it completely ridiculous they didn't pick up automatic weapons and use them. i don't think it would have made any difference to the final outcome, but maybe Siobhan might have had a chance if she had a gun and hunkered down somewhere.

i was actually upset as the end was coming. physically so. which i think speaks to how real and well acted this all was. i spoke before of how Siobhan really seemed to make hood happy, and realized this is not a show about happy endings. i didn't want to believe it would end like this, but it was sadly inevitable this episode.

i liked that there was no deux ex machina rescue. burton didnt come and single handidly mop up the redbones, the staties didn't save the day. hell they arrived moments too late to save siobhan which makes it all the sadder.

i also didnt take hoods face at the end as some "yeah badass ass kicking is coming", but how he continues to lose people he loves and has to give up more and more of his humanity and peace as time goes on in order to revenge himself.

i am still shaking.

She gave her gun to Raven so he could hunker down somewhere. I suppose he dropped his gun after being shot and no one thought to pick it up.

And actually the State patrol did save the day. The redbones didn't stop attacking until they heard the sirens. Tho with all the ones killed in the basement I'm not sure how many were left.

One question, the redbone that hit Hood over the head, where did he go? He couldn't get out thru the basement and they never showed him leaving past Chayton. He was just gone.

barelypure 02-09-15 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12389204)

My daughter's middle name is Siobhan, in honor of our Irish heritage.

slop101 02-09-15 09:42 AM

I like that name, it's just the spelling that irks me.

Rex Fenestrarum 02-09-15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 12390138)
I'm going to play alittle devils advocate with everyone here

And I'll play Devil's Advocate with you: this is Banshee, a show with almost no connection to reality whatsoever. I mean, here's a small town in Pennsylvania with a higher per capita murder rate than Detroit. Despite being about the same size as Mayberry, the city is an inexplicable magnet for gangsters, jewel thieves and FBI agents. Said city hires a new sheriff, despite the fact that "sheriff" is an elected constitutional office in Pennsylvania (and most other states). And even though the show takes place in the modern day, no one in the city bothers to look him up online to see what the new sheriff looks like. An ex-con takes the place of the real sheriff in part because his hacker friend is able to create fake social media profiles and news stories about him online, despite the fact that the ex-con had just gotten out of a 15 year prison stint (was he allowed to have a "in case I need a fake Facebook profile picture" photo session in prison?). I live in a small suburb of Charlotte, and only one of my city's police officers has ever died in the line of duty, and that was of a heart attack. Yet Banshee goes through police officers like Hazzard County goes through police cars.

Point is, I like the show, but you can only watch it as if it were a graphic novel. Trying to make sense of any of it - not just goofs and anachronisms, but plotlines and TV tropes, too - is just a recipe for failure.

mcnabb 02-10-15 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 12390692)
And I'll play Devil's Advocate with you: this is Banshee, a show with almost no connection to reality whatsoever. I mean, here's a small town in Pennsylvania with a higher per capita murder rate than Detroit. Despite being about the same size as Mayberry, the city is an inexplicable magnet for gangsters, jewel thieves and FBI agents. Said city hires a new sheriff, despite the fact that "sheriff" is an elected constitutional office in Pennsylvania (and most other states). And even though the show takes place in the modern day, no one in the city bothers to look him up online to see what the new sheriff looks like. An ex-con takes the place of the real sheriff in part because his hacker friend is able to create fake social media profiles and news stories about him online, despite the fact that the ex-con had just gotten out of a 15 year prison stint (was he allowed to have a "in case I need a fake Facebook profile picture" photo session in prison?). I live in a small suburb of Charlotte, and only one of my city's police officers has ever died in the line of duty, and that was of a heart attack. Yet Banshee goes through police officers like Hazzard County goes through police cars.

Point is, I like the show, but you can only watch it as if it were a graphic novel. Trying to make sense of any of it - not just goofs and anachronisms, but plotlines and TV tropes, too - is just a recipe for failure.

If you read my comment it wasn't a dig at Banshee, it was more about TV in general these days and how everyone is just killing characters left and right, and it is sort of losing its effect.

I understand what makes Banshee entertaining, as you essentially have to take everything with a big grain of salt because nothing makes sense. I was just saying that I didn't feel the true drama of Siobhan's death because it was obvious she was proabably going to die in the first 5 minutes. And that is a result of every show jumping on the bandwagon these days and killing characters, so nothing is shocking anymore.

spainlinx0 02-10-15 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 12391251)
If you read my comment it wasn't a dig at Banshee, it was more about TV in general these days and how everyone is just killing characters left and right, and it is sort of losing its effect.

I understand what makes Banshee entertaining, as you essentially have to take everything with a big grain of salt because nothing makes sense. I was just saying that I didn't feel the true drama of Siobhan's death because it was obvious she was proabably going to die in the first 5 minutes. And that is a result of every show jumping on the bandwagon these days and killing characters, so nothing is shocking anymore.

I love Banshee, but I agree that it was very telegraphed from the opening scenes.

alfredog1976 02-11-15 11:51 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wQS6fufuIWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJariya 02-12-15 12:06 PM

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/02/ban...th-season.html

The Good News: Banshee renewed for a 4th season.

The Bad News: Only 8 episodes this time. WTF??? :mad:

EMMY®-WINNING SERIES BANSHEE TO RETURN
TO CINEMAX FOR ITS FOURTH SEASON IN 2016

NEW YORK, Feb. 12, 2015 – The hit action series BANSHEE will return to CINEMAX in 2016 for a fourth season of eight episodes, which will shoot in Pittsburgh, Pa., it was announced today by Kary Antholis, president, HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming. The Emmy®-winning show is currently in its third season, with episodes debuting Fridays at 10:00 p.m. (ET/PT). BANSHEE’s fourth season will be executive produced by Alan Ball, Greg Yaitanes, Jonathan Tropper, Peter Macdissi, Adam Targum and Ole Christian Madsen.

Returning cast and crew will be announced when they are confirmed.

BANSHEE’s third season launched last month to rave reviews. Yahoo! called the show “wildly witty,” and the Huffington Post described BANSHEE as “one of TV’s most reliable pleasures,” while the A.V. Club noted, “The BANSHEE team remains in full command of their instrument.” TV Guide has described BANSHEE as “addictively entertaining” and Grantland said the show is “a whole hell of a lot of fun.”

Debuting in Jan. 2013, BANSHEE stars Antony Starr (“Wish You Were Here”) as Lucas Hood, an ex-con and master thief who assumes the identity of the sheriff of Banshee, Pa., where he continues his criminal pursuits while enforcing his own code of justice.

In addition to Starr, season three stars include Ivana Milicevic (“Untitled Cameron Crowe Project,” HBO’s “Mind of the Married Man”) as Carrie Hopewell, a notorious jewel thief who lives in Banshee under an assumed identity with her family, which has recently learned of her criminal past; Ulrich Thomsen (“The Celebration”) as Kai Proctor, an intimidating, wealthy businessman who believes he is above the law; Frankie Faison (“The Good Wife,” HBO’s “The Wire”) as Sugar Bates, a powerful and wise former boxer and ex-con who is now the owner of the local watering hole; and Hoon Lee (“The Blacklist”) as Job, a dangerous transvestite computer hacker who assists Lucas and Carrie in their criminal enterprises.

In Sept. 2013, BANSHEE received a Primetime Emmy® Award for Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role.

Season three credits: BANSHEE was created by Jonathan Tropper and David Schickler; executive producers, Alan Ball, Greg Yaitanes, Jonathan Tropper and Peter Macdissi; producer, Robert F. Phillips.

dex14 02-12-15 12:32 PM

I guess they are compromising to let them get to that 5th season. So instead of doing 20 more episode, they'll do 16 (if they get that 5th season). They probably go way over their budget with the awesome episodes they've been delivering, so maybe they can trim it down a little bit and not add any additional filler.