DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Allegiance (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Scott Cohen, Hope Davis -- Premieres 2/5/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/625006-allegiance-nbc-season-1-thread-s-scott-cohen-hope-davis-premieres-2-5-15-a.html)

DJariya 02-05-15 02:31 PM

Allegiance (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Scott Cohen, Hope Davis -- Premieres 2/5/15

http://www.seat42f.com/wp-content/up...E-Cast-NBC.jpg

Alex O'Connor (Gavin Stenhouse, "Person of Interest"), a young idealistic CIA analyst specializing in Russian affairs, learns a shocking secret and his close-knit, affluent family is about to be split apart when its revealed that his parents, Mark (Scott Cohen, "Necessary Roughness") and Katya (Hope Davis, "The Newsroom," "In Treatment") are covert Russian spies deactivated decades ago. But today the Kremlin has re-enlisted them into service as they plan a terrorist operation inside the U.S. border that will bring America to its knees. Years ago, Russian-born Katya was tasked by the KGB to recruit American businessman Mark O'Connor as a spy - and the two fell in love. A deal was struck: As long as Katya remained an asset for Russia, and it was agreed that her services could be called on in the future, she would be allowed to marry Mark and move to America. After years in America building a happy life and without word from Moscow, they thought they had escaped. Now it seems that the new Mother Russia has one more mission - turning Alex into a spy. For these anguished parents, the choice is clear: Betray their country or risk their family. George Nolfi, John Glenn, Rashad Raisani, Avi Nir, Ron Leshem, Amit Cohen, Giyora Yahalom and Yona Weisenthal serve as executive producers.

This series is apparently based on an Israeli series. It was created by George Nolfi, who some of you may know was the writer and director of The Adjustment Bureau.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-8T6ALA4qmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It airs tonight after The Blacklist. Don't know how many of you heard of this new series or even have the time to watch it, but I'm throwing this up here to bring it to your attention.

stenix 02-05-15 04:38 PM

Re: Allegiance (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Scott Cohen, Hope Davis -- Premieres 2/

Sounds like it could easily be a sequel to 'The Americans'.
Will be interesting to see how it holds up against the Americans given how similar they seem to be.

writer106 02-05-15 05:05 PM

Re: Allegiance (NBC) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Scott Cohen, Hope Davis -- Premieres 2/

Originally Posted by stenix (Post 12387183)
Will be interesting to see how it holds up against the Americans given how similar they seem to be.

When I saw the previews for Allegiance, it instantly reminded me of The Americans. I will probably DVR this show and maybe read some reviews. Of course, there will be comparisons between to the shows. I have only watched season 1 of The Americans and I like it. I need to watch season 2 soon and I'll catch season 3 later on.

Dr. DVD 02-05-15 08:37 PM

Looks more like an Americans rip-off.

PhantomStranger 02-05-15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by stenix (Post 12387183)

This will likely be the training wheels version of The Americans. I don't expect much from a series on NBC.

csant 02-05-15 10:19 PM

I enjoyed it... not as much as the Americans but enough to tune in next week.

Goldberg74 02-06-15 08:04 AM

Never watched The Americans, but I did enjoy this show. I've liked watching Scott Cohen since The 10th Kingdom and Law & Order.

Quatermass 02-06-15 09:58 AM

I liked it and will watch again. I haven't ever seen The Americans or Homeland

RichC2 02-06-15 11:16 AM

So did they end up keeping the intro with the guy being burned to death or they nix it due to "poor taste" concerns?

PhantomStranger 02-06-15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12387885)
So did they end up keeping the intro with the guy being burned to death or they nix it due to "poor taste" concerns?

They kept it on the show. The scene actually looked out of place on the show, I bet it was inserted after the fact at the behest of an NBC exec wanting a strong teaser.

madcougar 02-06-15 01:52 PM

Big fan of Margarita Levieva... but I don't know if I'm big enough to watch this.

MikahC 02-06-15 09:52 PM

I liked the first episode. The biggest concern I had about the show (family member vs. family member) was addressed by the end of the episode, so I'm still interested enough to watch the next episode.

DJariya 02-06-15 10:06 PM

I actually liked the 1st episode. Yes, it's similar to the Americans, but I think they added a different enough spin to the material to not make it a complete rip-off. Mark, the husband, is American and Katya, the wife, is a Russian immigrant, but both worked as spies for Russia and are retired unlike Philip and Elizabeth who are pretending to be Americans. Plus this takes place in present time and doesn't have to rely on being a period piece.

Alex figuring things out after the whole Mikhail thing and being a potential adversary to them was interesting and as I said added a different spin.

randian 02-06-15 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12388560)
I guess the SVR is some kind of Russian terrorist organization.

SVR is Russia's foreign intelligence service. FSB is domestic intelligence, GRU is military intelligence.

DJariya 02-06-15 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12388032)
They kept it on the show. The scene actually looked out of place on the show, I bet it was inserted after the fact at the behest of an NBC exec wanting a strong teaser.

The burning scene with "Uncle Mikhail" was pretty important to the final sequence in the episode with Alex making a connection to his parents with the knee replacement parts. I doubt it was created after the fact. He even said there aren't too many Mikhail's living in New York with knee replacements. I did think it was a little contrived that he just happened to remember his Mom accidentally calling that man from the photo from his past "Mikhail" and then made the connection.

windom 03-06-15 12:57 PM

Canceled. "The Slap" will take its time slot. http://tvline.com/2015/03/06/allegia...-season-1-nbc/

I had been recording it but haven't watched. Maybe NBC will burn off the rest of the season on Saturdays?

RoyalTea 03-06-15 01:14 PM

I don't mind a show about someone with Sherlock Holmes style powers of deduction, but I thought Alex was borderline satire. The scene where he goes back to the dead guy's closet to smell a suit to figure out the laptop was being hidden in Philadelphia's City Hall made me roll my eyes enough to give up on the show on the spot.

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-06-15 03:07 PM

Bummed NBC pulled it. Yeah, it was a bit uneven, but we enjoyed it.

Goldberg74 03-07-15 06:41 PM

I watched and enjoyed the first two episodes and have the rest sitting on my DVR.

With all of the shows I watch, this wasn't a priority... guess I can just stop now.

LaxBandit 03-08-15 12:28 AM

I stuggled through the first two episodes - was thinking of dropping it but decided to give it another episode or two.
Was actually going to watch the third/fourth episodes later today but looks like I won't - glad I saw this news - saved an hour and a half or so.

Hopefully Margarita Levieva next appears on a show that lasts more than four episodes and one that I really liked.
Wouldn't mind her staying on the same network and same night even and return for a little story arc on the "The Blacklist".
Her character was one that they could bring back - she had a thing with the "Tom" character that wasn't resolved yet - I think.
In the mean-time having her appear in my dreams will have to do.

Patman 03-08-15 11:17 AM

Margarita was so much more interesting on this show than her stint on "Revenge", she needs more work, very easy on the eyes too.

OldDude 03-14-15 06:02 AM

If anyone cares, nbc.com is streaming the remaining episodes, one per week, released at 7 pm ET, Thursdays. Episode 6 is up now. Also on Hulu Plus, and it looks like a week's delay on Hulu.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-23-15 07:24 AM

The unaired episodes are also available on Directv on Demand too.