Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 2/4/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 09:00 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 2/4/15

ABC announced the premiere date today for new half hour comedy "Fresh Off the Boat." Inspired by Eddie Huang's best-selling memoir by the same name, "Fresh Off the Boat" will be sampled twice in ABC's Wednesday night comedy block on WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 4 at both 8:30 and 9:31 p.m., followed by its time slot premiere on TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 10 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET). It's 1995 and 11-year-old hip-hop loving Eddie Huang (Hudson Yang) has just moved with his family from Chinatown in Washington D.C. to suburban Orlando. They quickly discover things are very different there. Orlando doesn't even have a Chinatown -- unless you count the Huang house. Eddie's dad, Louis (Randall Park), has dragged the family to the 'burbs to pursue his version of the American dream, opening Cattleman's Ranch Steakhouse, a struggling western-themed restaurant. Louis thinks that the best way to get customers in the door is to hire a white host to greet them and make them feel comfortable. Eddie's mom, Jessica (Constance Wu), has agreed to the move, but she finds Orlando a strange place -- from the rollerblading stay-at-home moms, to the hospital-like grocery stores, to the fact that the humidity has ruined her hair. Inspired by a true story, "Fresh Off the Boat" stars Randall Park as Louis, Constance Wu as Jessica, Hudson Yang as Eddie, Forrest Wheeler as Emery and Ian Chen as Evan. Eddie Huang provides the voice over narration.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Constance Wu as Jessica Huang
· Forrest Wheeler as TBA
· Hudson Yang as Eddie Huang
· Ian Chen as TBA
· Randall Park as Louis Huang

CREW INFORMATION:
· ??? as DIR (Pilot)
· Eddie Huang as BOOK/PROD
· Jake Kasdan as EP
· Melvin Mar as EP
· Nahnatchka Khan as CRTR/EP
Read more: Listings - FRESH OFF THE BOAT on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3QmxHmxRu

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mOutgc-GG6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-04-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Series Thread - premieres 2/4/15

I'm gonna check it out. I wonder if some Asians will react negatively to it how some Blacks are reacting to "Black-ish".
Old 02-04-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

AV Club's review: http://www.avclub.com/review/fresh-b...family--214465

They say the 1st episode is the weakest of the 3 they've seen. I've been to BaoHaus, didn't realize the guy was famous
Old 02-04-15, 01:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

i think i love the wife. might have to give it a shot with a few episodes
Old 02-04-15, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just glad that we're in a post-racial society, what with "Fresh Off the Boat" & "Black-ish."

Trailer is actually pretty funny even if the stunning wife is a poster child for stereotypical "Asian" speech. The pic at the top makes her look like someone who should be starring as the princess in one of the endless sting of "dynasty" films about feuding warlords...which, come to think of it, sounds like I'm engaging in some kind of stereotype.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-04-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Just glad that we're in a post-racial society, what with "Fresh Off the Boat" & "Black-ish."
The word "fob" was an actual racial slur back in the 80`s here in Ca. Not so much now but when I was growing up and you heard someone call an Asian a fob you knew you were going to get into a fight.
Old 02-05-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The pilot wasn't particularly good, but the second episode was better. Neither were particularly hilarious or anything, but the show is interesting to me as someone also born here in the US to Taiwanese parents so everything about fitting in while growing up is fairly relatable to me.

The accents annoy the shit out of me though.
Old 02-05-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I watched the first episode last night. It was okay. Being Thai Chinese, I did relate to the scene where Eddie brought Asian food to school, much to the dismay of his classmates. That happened to me once as well back in the third grade. My classmates were a little weirded out with me eating rice and meat as opposed to a ham and cheese sandwich or PB & J.

It was cute seeing his two younger brothers fit in a lot better than him, especially the one who got a girlfriend.

I could see this being somewhat offensive to other Asians who nit pick the hell out of stereotypical portrayals.
Old 02-05-15, 09:56 AM
Banned

Didn't know that about "fob", MrHan. Thanks for the info.

Will give the show a try based upon fumanstan's & DJariya's (qualified) recommendations. Like to see other cultures represented (maybe why we enjoy foreign films so much...appreciating both the differences & the similarities of various cultures/people). And thanks for the input about the accents being annoying from someone who has been there.

Re: the reaction of the schoolkids to Asian food...those kids were lucky they didn't have to eat in our cafeterias. Those "worms" looked yummy compared to the mystery meat we encountered a lot.

I never had a problem with any specific foods kids brought, but I do remember my stomach turning at some of the eating habits. I think I threw up in my tray one time after seeing one kid...well, I won't go into it.

A little off-topic here, but how would you feel, DJariya, about seeing some Asian pirates included in Black Sails? I'd welcome some more diversity there.

Also off-topic, but I will have to say, as an admirer of feminine beauty of all cultures, that Asian beauties are unparalleled, IMHO.
Old 02-05-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i kinda liked this show, will tune in again, had some laughs.

i liked the mom and the kids not so sure on the dad role...

also like that its set in 1995.. could definitely be a bit edgier, but this would pair nice with the goldbergs, i guess it will get its shot on Tuesdays now to see if it can hold up without Modern Family
Old 02-05-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Off to an okay start -- a 2.5 rating for the first half hour, then a 2.4 for the second. Despite the Modern Family lead-in, Wednesday is now under the shadow of Empire which is just an absolute monster right now. (4.6 demo rating, 11.5m viewers).
Old 02-05-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I didn't really like it. The first episode was definitely weaker than the second. The mom is hot though.
Old 02-05-15, 11:21 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I real wanted to like this show. I thought the previews leading up to it were pretty funny.

BUT

That pilot last night. The annoying fake accent that the mom has. You couldn't find a Chinese actress that actually has a real accent? I couldn't get past the fact that it felt like the actress was an Orange County princess, every time she spoke I kept imagining her saying: "like, oh my God!" the whitest way possible.

The cafeteria scene, now let me preface this by saying I'm white but amongst all my friends I have more Asian American friends then any other race or nationality. But that shit didn't happen in the schools I went to in So Cal in the 80's and there was Asians galore! Maybe because this is set in Florida shit like that happened there, but, well, Florida. If anything (in So Cal), the fish out of the water in that scenario was the black kid.

The show runner or the creator clearly has an ax to grind. What should have been funny (maybe?) fell flat and came across as racist. I really wanted to laugh but couldn't cause the intended jokes just felt awkward, my wife and I were looking at each other like WTF? Maybe that's the point of the show, maybe it's not supposed to be a comedy. Terrible asian accents by the actors, unfunny jokes. I'm sure it will all make sense later on when I catch the complete series on DVD years in the future. Till then, I'm out.

If you guys want to watch a funny show tune into the Goldberg's. Now that shit is funny.
Old 02-05-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I grew up in Irvine with a large community of Asians, but I still experienced confusion and "eww's" eating Chinese specific foods, or chatter about using chopsticks. Being racist didn't come to my mind at all; judging by my facebook feed, a lot of friends/relatives are saying they can relate.
Old 02-05-15, 11:54 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I like the mother's droll humor.
Old 02-05-15, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I grew up in Irvine with a large community of Asians, but I still experienced confusion and "eww's" eating Chinese specific foods, or chatter about using chopsticks. Being racist didn't come to my mind at all; judging by my facebook feed, a lot of friends/relatives are saying they can relate.
I suffer from chopstick envy.
Old 02-05-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're probably going to hear more complaining from Weeaboos than people of actual Asian ancestry.
Old 02-05-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hal9000
The cafeteria scene, now let me preface this by saying I'm white but amongst all my friends I have more Asian American friends then any other race or nationality. But that shit didn't happen in the schools I went to in So Cal in the 80's and there was Asians galore! Maybe because this is set in Florida shit like that happened there, but, well, Florida. If anything (in So Cal), the fish out of the water in that scenario was the black kid.
As an asian in central Florida with a family in the restaurant business, can confirm there weren't a ton of Asians and anything different got picked on. And there is definitely some funky Chinese food out there.

There will be more outrage based on the fact that Randall Park is playing a Taiwanese than anything else.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-05-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The second episode was definitely better than the Pilot. Got more laughs. Constance Wu was the highlight. I liked how Jessica took care of those dine and dash kids. Jessica not being satisfied with Eddie's performance in school despite his good grades reminded me a lot of my Mom back in the day. I got 2 Bs on my report card once and my Mom tore my head off.

Regarding Jessica's accent, I think she's an immigrant from Taiwan rather than a Taiwanese born in America.
Old 02-05-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this doesn't absolutely prove the validity of all of the material from the show, it is based on personal experiences by Eddie Huang
Old 02-05-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
The second episode was definitely better than the Pilot. Got more laughs. Constance Wu was the highlight. I liked how Jessica took care of those dine and dash kids. Jessica not being satisfied with Eddie's performance in school despite his good grades reminded me a lot of my Mom back in the day. I got 2 Bs on my report card once and my Mom tore my head off.

Regarding Jessica's accent, I think she's an immigrant from Taiwan rather than a Taiwanese born in America.
She has obviousness in her fake accent due to how well she says her actual words. It doesn't bother me, as having to listen to my extended family on a sitcom would drive me bonkers.
Old 02-05-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those not aware Eddie is the narrator.
Old 02-05-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I got 2 Bs on my report card once and my Mom tore my head .
Yeah, getting those Asian F's was the worst.

In regards to the lunch thing I always felt I had to fit in. I felt weird bringing rice to school. We made our mom make us sandwiches.
Old 02-05-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Jessica not being satisfied with Eddie's performance in school despite his good grades reminded me a lot of my Mom back in the day. I got 2 Bs on my report card once and my Mom tore my head off.

Whenever my Chinese friend feels lazy she calls herself a "B-sian".

Old 02-05-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I think Randall Park played Kim Jon Un in the Interview.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.