Reload this Page >

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 2/4/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 2/4/15

Old 02-05-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fresh off the Boat (ABC) - Series Thread - premieres 2/4/15

I enjoyed the pilot and the episode that aired last night. I agree with others, Constance Wu is the highlight of the show and I also like the child actor playing Eddie. I grew up in the 90s and I like the setting and that is show is based on Eddie's experiences. I also remember tons of people in my town had those mini-vans.
Old 02-05-15, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Yeah, getting those Asian F's was the worst.
Your & Djariya's comments re: this cracked me up. I'm not going to repeat the "Asian F's" outside of the house, but I will share with my wife.

Having taught public school for 30 years, I did run into quite a few Caucasian moms with the same syndrome. Thankfully, my mom (also a teacher) was a bit more lax, and dad was just happy I wasnt' dragging home a pregnant girlfriend.

I'm gathering that there is some amount of validity to the Tiger Mom stereotype, just as there is some truth to a lot of the redneck stereotypes from my culture...
Old 02-05-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 159 Posts

I enjoyed the second episode much more than the pilot. I'm sticking with this show. The mom's statement that "Academic scholarships it is for her family" and the whole idea of hiding something when they said "I love you" made me

Heck, at least is much better than "All American Girl" but that's not saying much.
Old 02-05-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post

Heck, at least is much better than "All American Girl" but that's not saying much.
It's interesting, there's an article on Vulture from Eddie Huang that recalls a conversation he had with Margaret Cho where she basically tells him that she got pulled in all different directions regarding the show trying to appeal to everyone.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/eddie...-boat-abc.html

All-American Girl 13was America’s first Asian — specifically, Korean-American — sitcom, but it got canceled after one season. Asians like myself ate our hopes and dreams by the grain burnt at the bottom of a seasonal stone bowl, vowing to one day return.

“They have no idea what they’re doing, but they’ll have opinions about everything you’re doing,” she warned.

“It’s as bad as everyone says, huh?”

“It’s worse. When I did it, I was just happy to be there, and every time they told me I was too Asian, not Asian enough, too fat, too skinny, I listened. You have to fight them at every step.”

“Why does anyone even sign up for this Hollywood High School bullshit? It’s not like there aren’t other ways to tell stories.”

“Because you CAN do it. You’ve been irreverent everywhere you’ve gone, just don’t change now. You go to Hollywood and you go be the same person you’ve been the whole time. I believe in you, and to be honest, we need this.”
Not that I find Cho funny at all.
Old 02-05-15, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I got 2 Bs on my report card once and my Mom tore my head off.
On a related note: anyone watching Child Genius on Lifetime? It's a quiz competition for kids but more reality-based, showing all the behind the scenes with the kids prepping. There is a "Tiger Mom" on the show and she is just so overbearing. But the funniest part is her American-born son, who just constantly rolls his eyes at her. It's sort of a similar dynamic to this show.
Old 02-05-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Your & Djariya's comments re: this cracked me up. I'm not going to repeat the "Asian F's" outside of the house, but I will share with my wife.

Having taught public school for 30 years, I did run into quite a few Caucasian moms with the same syndrome. Thankfully, my mom (also a teacher) was a bit more lax, and dad was just happy I wasnt' dragging home a pregnant girlfriend.

I'm gathering that there is some amount of validity to the Tiger Mom stereotype, just as there is some truth to a lot of the redneck stereotypes from my culture...
My daughter gets straight A's and my son get's straight B's but I don't say shit. My wife, on the other hand, always has to. I had enough of that shit growing up and I'm not going to put my kids through it. They get enough of that from their mom. My mom bags on me for not saying shit to my son.
Old 02-06-15, 09:12 AM

I think the kid is a good actor, the little boys are adorable, but the writing/script just blows it all out. I found nothing funny about this, and too many things on the fence of being racist. What I really didn't get was, why was D.C. so much better then Orlando?? is it because Florida is a southern state, and we hate hicks? Or the Capital is more of a melting pot. I just don't get this show, was offended for the most part, bored for the rest. BTW: The father actor is stiff, unfunny, and just stupid.
Old 02-06-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

My Mom tried watching it and she honestly didn't care for it. Barely got through episode 1 and got through half of episode 2. She said it was just so-so and not really worth her time. She never watches 30 minute comedies anyways, so even though it had some stuff she could relate to, she just didn't find it funny enough.
Old 02-06-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
My Mom tried watching it and she honestly didn't care for it. Barely got through episode 1 and got through half of episode 2. She said it was just so-so and not really worth her time. She never watches 30 minute comedies anyways, so even though it had some stuff she could relate to, she just didn't find it funny enough.
Pics of your mom, or GTFO.
Old 02-06-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Pics of your mom, or GTFO.
Wrong forum.
Old 02-06-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found the pilot to be funnier than the second episode. Both were very entertaining. I'll keep watching.
Old 02-07-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you noticed the show said they lived in DC Chinatown. When they moved to Orlando there were no other Asian people at all pretty much.
Old 02-07-15, 06:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
If you noticed the show said they lived in DC Chinatown. When they moved to Orlando there were no other Asian people at all pretty much.
I don't think people realize that this whole fish out of water thing racially could even be a matter of miles:
When I was growing up in the mid-80s', I went from going to elementary school in Chinatown (NYC) that was like 99.99% asian, to a junior high school in Brooklyn that had like 3 asian students in it. Let's just say nothing brings white/black harmony than picking on the asians

On the plus side, it helped me develop my "Don't f**k with me" stare that helped ever since

Otherwise, favorite scene is still Constance Wu fighting to buy chinese groceries in the flashback in the first ep. Heck, I was in Flushing Queens (another one of the Chinatowns in NYC) last night, and was happy just surviving through the crowd to buy a pound of roast pork!

Edit: Also wanted to add on the lunch thing - in addition to my mom cramming noodles into a thermos (to keep it warm), I've also had lunches where several fried dumplings were jammed into there too.

Last edited by greydt; 02-07-15 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I don't think DC Chinatown (it's basically in the center city - right next to the arena) is anything like NYC Chinatown, but whatever. I won't nitpick that.

I think it's okay so far.
Old 02-09-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

I think the point is that they went from a place where they were surrounded (at least somewhat) by other Chinese people, and now they're in a place where there are none. That's why the anecdote someone posted earlier about growing up in CA during this time period is moot... there are a lot of Asians in CA, HI, etc., and this is obviously different.

I will say that I found it odd that the one black kid who seemed a little friendly at first became the bad guy in the first episode. Why even go there with this show? I also thought it was odd they just went to the neighbor's house to play with his hoop when he wasn't even there.

I liked the reaction to the straight A's (school is too easy!) and then the Chinese Learning Center. And the reaction in the principal's office when their kid got in trouble.

Did they attach the name to this show afterwards or something? Nobody here is "fresh off the boat" at all.
Old 02-09-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I will say that I found it odd that the one black kid who seemed a little friendly at first became the bad guy in the first episode. Why even go there with this show? I also thought it was odd they just went to the neighbor's house to play with his hoop when he wasn't even there.

Did they attach the name to this show afterwards or something? Nobody here is "fresh off the boat" at all.
Regarding these two points, the title of the show is the same as the name of the book that it's based on. His parents would be considered FOB's too. And I'm pretty sure the situation with a black kid is based off of stories mentioned in the book as well (I haven't read the book, but recall it being mentioned in random interviews and articles, although I could be wrong).
Old 02-09-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they sanitized it for television, but the parents seem pretty much assimilated to me. Part of it is that they already know English well. The dad opened up a steak house, for crying out loud, and the mom is rollerblading with the neighbors trying to fit in. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what the term means or something.
Old 02-09-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
His parents would be considered FOB's too.
If you had an accent or you weren't born here (doesn't matter if you lived here most of life) you were called a FOB in the most derogatory sense. Within the Asian community there was that invisible line. Those that immigrated here sometimes hated those born here and considers them less than Asian because they can't speak their country's language. I sometimes pretend not to understand to see if these motherfuckers talk behind my back.
Old 02-09-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe they sanitized it for television, but the parents seem pretty much assimilated to me. Part of it is that they already know English well. The dad opened up a steak house, for crying out loud, and the mom is rollerblading with the neighbors trying to fit in. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what the term means or something.
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
If you had an accent or you weren't born here (doesn't matter if you lived here most of life) you were called a FOB in the most derogatory sense.
Yeah, basically this. The "fresh" part isn't really taken literally, at least in my circles down here in Southern California; it's just anyone that immigrated over and still has an accent and at exhibit some level of the culture. Eddie in the show getting Chinese food for lunch, the mom being super cheap, the CLC stuff all strikes me as fobby behavior. Although here, my friends and I never really took it like a serious insult growing up and joke about it more then anything.
Old 02-10-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interview with Constance Wu who plays the mom.

http://time.com/3696111/fresh-off-th...-constance-wu/

I like her response to the very first question -

TIME: Given how historic the show is, how do you make sure that Jessica is portrayed responsibly and doesn’t become a stereotype?

Constance Wu: Stereotypes are only dangerous when they are used as the butt of the joke, and our writers have taken great care to never write a single joke that is based upon a stereotype. The fact that this is the first show in 20 years that has Asian leads— carrying a story instead of supporting a white person’s story — takes away that burden of stereotypes. What makes a stereotype harmful is when it’s a one-dimensional person.

I think the reason people have been quick to throw the stereotype criticism on us is because there will always be people who are laughing at the wrong thing. Some people are like, “Oh, stereotypical accent!” An accent is an accent. If there were jokes written about the accent, then that would certainly be harmful. But there aren’t jokes written about it. It’s not even talked about. It’s just a fact of life: immigrants have accents. Making the choice to have that is a way of not watering down the character and making it politically correct. It’s choosing authenticity over safety, and I think that’s bold. The people who are going to laugh at the alleged stereotypes are the same people who are going to laugh at their Chinese waiter in the restaurant next door for very coarse, uneducated reasons.

We’re not writing the show to placate the idiots. So to anybody who accuses us of utilizing stereotypes, I would challenge them to point them out when they’re used as humor tools, because they aren’t. And I would challenge people to see if those alleged “stereotypes” are really there, or if they’re just the truth of the actual Jessica Huang, who is a real living and breathing woman in Orlando.
As well as this -

Could you talk about the show’s balance of relatability and specificity?

I think you honor the universality of it by honoring the specificity. There are going to be people who are like, “Wait a second, my family doesn’t do that.” Or, “My Asian supermarket doesn’t do that.” Great! That means we’re actually not doing stereotypes because you’re saying to us that your family doesn’t do that. You can’t please everybody, and you don’t want to, because that’s when things becomes watered-down.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-10-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the show, and she's definitely the best part, but maybe I just need another lesson in semantics. Is it not a stereotype if it happens to be true (even if they're playing it for laughs because it's a stereotype)? For example, the Asian focus on studying/schoolwork, or how "cheap" the mom is with everything, or the stinky/odd Asian food. All those happened in real life, but they're funny (I presume) because they deal with Asian stereotypes (which I think is fine). Or am I off base?
Old 02-10-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 159 Posts

I liked both episodes tonight. The first one for its use of ODB in order to illustrate Eddie's "struggle" to fit in. I think Constance Wu is the star of this show (great voice) but the rest of the family are pretty good too.

"I didn't know Asians like karaoke." and "Taste the rainbow." made me

The second one was okay but the whole family competition of who's richer draws similar recollection of my family growing up. Plus I did the opposite from Eddie's cousin growing up; I was first into Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilot and Pearl Jam before getting into Hip Hop.

I like the show, and she's definitely the best part, but maybe I just need another lesson in semantics. Is it not a stereotype if it happens to be true (even if they're playing it for laughs because it's a stereotype)? For example, the Asian focus on studying/schoolwork, or how "cheap" the mom is with everything, or the stinky/odd Asian food. All those happened in real life, but they're funny (I presume) because they deal with Asian stereotypes (which I think is fine). Or am I off base?
This is my definition of stereotype that has to do with a perception or belief about a type of people or things but in a oversimplified manner. In this case, the stereotype of Asian people as being smart in Math or Science is a stereotype because even though you might know a lot of Asians that are good in those subjects, it does not apply to all of them.
Old 02-10-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think most stereotypes stem from some truth; that's how they develop and catch on. I took her point as simply being that the jokes in the show isn't set up for people to laugh at the accent, or laugh at all the schoolwork directly, but the real life circumstances that stem from it.

Of course, the quip about karaoke in the first episode tonight is kind of counter to that given it seems to specifically be a "of course asians love karaoke!" bit.
Old 02-10-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I haven't watched last night shows yet but I said this after the first two.....

It was awful.
So not funny.

Who is there to like on this show?
Not the mom.
Not the two other kids, one of which they call Emily.
Not the Dad, who looks like he had a stroke with the weird eyebrow being stuck up higher on one side all the time.

Definitely not the older son.
He's just a little punk.

The rap music thing is done better on the Goldbergs because
it plays as more of a gag then it does here.

Plus the rap music is bad.

The show simply wasn't funny.
Old 02-10-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed both episodes. The first episode was great on the subplot of Jessica trying to make a friend and then being told not to be friends with Honey because of the other neighbors. Second episode was also very good with the visiting relatives and the grandmothers watching the OJ trial and then it was a funny OJ trial reference with the repo guy.

As said before, Constance Wu is the best part of the show. The child actors are great. I haven't been a big fan of the actor playing the father, but I think he improved in tonight's second episode. He was great at playing a man trying to compete with others, but also trying to hide things from his competition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.