Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

2015 Superbowl commercials discussion thread...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2015 Superbowl commercials discussion thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Re: 2015 Superbowl commercials discussion thread...

Originally Posted by tommyp007
The only problem I have with the Hardees commercials is that the burger you get is nothing close to the burger advertised.
As opposed to...

They aired a regional Jack in the Box commercial for some new garlic butter burger which looks sooo good in the commercial, but we know how that goes.
Old 02-02-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
You have five Carl's Jrs in Washington state.

https://www.google.com/search?redir_...87102&devloc=0

I being in California, in the Southern part, have a lot of Carl's Jrs to pick from.
But no commercials and none of those are near me. Wonder why we don't get the commercials.
Old 02-02-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As opposed to...

They aired a regional Jack in the Box commercial for some new garlic butter burger which looks sooo good in the commercial, but we know how that goes.
Posts like these remind me that Falling Down really is a great movie.
Old 02-02-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I was in a small town at lunch time and all they had recognizable was a Hardees. I had never been to a Hardees before, and 20 years later I have not gone to another one. Worst burger I have ever paid for.
The Hardees of today is actually a completely different chain than the one of 20 years ago. They were acquired by Carl's Jr in 1997 and the menu was overhauled to me more similar to theirs
Old 02-02-15, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I was in a small town at lunch time and all they had recognizable was a Hardees. I had never been to a Hardees before, and 20 years later I have not gone to another one. Worst burger I have ever paid for.
The Hardees of today is actually a completely different chain than the one of 20 years ago. They were acquired by Carl's Jr in 1997 and the menu was overhauled to be more similar to theirs

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 02-02-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought these were all pretty lousy. I enjoyed the Liam Neeson, Pac Man, Budweiser puppy and Pierce Brosnan ones. Other than that though I thought they were pretty awful.
Old 02-02-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea I don't know what those guys are on about Hardees or Carl's Jr is the place where food does look like the ads far more than any other chain. After that upgrade they did to their menu its like fancy diner more than fast food. Least presentation wise anyway it's still fast food.
Old 02-02-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yea I don't know what those guys are on about Hardees or Carl's Jr is the place where food does look like the ads far more than any other chain. After that upgrade they did to their menu its like fancy diner more than fast food. Least presentation wise anyway it's still fast food.
Very true. Their burgers are fantastic these days.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The Hardees of today is actually a completely different chain than the one of 20 years ago. They were acquired by Carl's Jr in 1997 and the menu was overhauled to be more similar to theirs
The menu is completely different, for the better. However, the restaurant dining area, more often than not, still looks straight out of 1983.
Old 02-02-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yep, the dining rooms are still antiquated at Hardees. I haven't had lunch/dinner at one in ages, but their breakfast is awesome.
Old 02-03-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of these commercials were meh. Pac Man, Pierce Bronsan and Brady Bunch were OK.

But Sorta Greg reminded just how good Bryan Cranston is in that role. And the blonde actress was great as well. I loved it. Watched it 5 times already.
Old 02-03-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The only one I thought was fun and clever was the countries drafting different animals and foods. It ended up being a commercial for avocados.

As the ratings have gone up for the Super Bowl in the past few years, the commercials have gotten lamer. It was a lot more fun when Internet companies were blowing millions on the game.
Old 02-03-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The only one I thought was fun and clever was the countries drafting different animals and foods. It ended up being a commercial for avocados.

As the ratings have gone up for the Super Bowl in the past few years, the commercials have gotten lamer. It was a lot more fun when Internet companies were blowing millions on the game.
Not only that, it was an ad for Mexican avocados! Buy California!

The F2P mobile games seems to be the new internet company. Amazing to me how much whatever-game-that-is blows on those Kate Upton commercials, much less one airing during the Superbowl. But we got that gem of a Liam Neeson commercial from Clash of Clans, so there's that. I'm surprised no Candy Crush...
Old 02-03-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

What's funny is that a lot of those companies spend a ton of money to get people to buy shit like pistachios and avocados. But generally speaking, nobody gives a fuck what brand they buy, no matter how good the commercial.
Old 02-03-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not only that, it was an ad for Mexican avocados! Buy California!

The F2P mobile games seems to be the new internet company. Amazing to me how much whatever-game-that-is blows on those Kate Upton commercials, much less one airing during the Superbowl. But we got that gem of a Liam Neeson commercial from Clash of Clans, so there's that. I'm surprised no Candy Crush...
The Clash of Clans company made $892m in 2013 which went up to an estimated $1.8b in revenue in 2014 for Clash of Clans alone. The company has 150 employees and apparently pulls in nearly $5m/day in revenue.
Old 02-03-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The whole time my friends and I were saying that this year's crop of commercials were just sad and depressing and seemed to try and make us feel like bad people.

Enjoyed Liam Neeson and Ted 2 the most, kind of chuckled at the first draft ever and it was neat seeing Bryan Cranston. Otherwise it felt like a bust.
Old 02-04-15, 10:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Nationwide and others seem to believe that making people tear up was the way to go. They were clearly wrong.
It's one thing to make people tear up over something sappy, like a puppy dog being rescued or the dad sending his daughter away for college. It's manipulative, for sure, but at least it's in a feel-good sorta way and some people eat that sort of thing up.

But Nationwide's ad was just depressing. They weren't tugging at your heart strings, they were punching your aorta in the balls. That just seems like a ill-conceived tone to try to pull off when people are stuffing their faces with hot wings and nachos.
Old 02-04-15, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
But Nationwide's ad was just depressing. They weren't tugging at your heart strings, they were punching your aorta in the balls. That just seems like a ill-conceived tone to try to pull off when people are stuffing their faces with hot wings and nachos.
And it doesn't even make any sense. If something like that happens, how is insurance gonna help? Are they gonna replace your kid? Just dumb.
Old 02-04-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Clash of Clans company made $892m in 2013 which went up to an estimated $1.8b in revenue in 2014 for Clash of Clans alone. The company has 150 employees and apparently pulls in nearly $5m/day in revenue.
Yeah, the advertising for freemium games not just in the Super Bowl but on TV on a regular basis is insane. I have no desire to play a game in which anonymous people destroy me because they spend real money on it.

They supposedly spent $40 million on the Game of War ad campaign. I wonder how much of that Kate Upton got. As an actress in those ads, she's a great swimsuit model.