DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S1E11) -- "The Sound and the Fury" -- 1/27/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624855-flash-s1e11-sound-fury-1-27-15-a.html)

DJariya 01-27-15 01:36 PM

The Flash (S1E11) -- "The Sound and the Fury" -- 1/27/15

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2015/01/2...47369_960w.jpg

"The Sound and the Fury" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

BROADWAY STAR ANDY MIENTUS GUEST STARS AS THE PIED PIPER - Dr. Wells' (Tom Cavanagh) former protégée, Hartley Rathaway (guest star Andrew Mientus), returns to seek revenge on his mentor after being affected by the particle accelerator explosion. Now able to manipulate sound waves, the brilliant Rathaway is a dangerous threat to both Wells and The Flash (Grant Gustin). Meanwhile, Iris (Candice Patton) is thrilled when she's hired by the Central City Picture News as their newest cub reporter. Unfortunately, her editor (guest star Tom Butler) pairs her with a veteran reporter, Mason Bridge (guest star Roger Howarth), who wants nothing to do with her. Cisco (Carlos Valdes) recalls his first day on the job at S.T.A.R. Labs when he met Hartley and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker). Joe (Jesse L. Martin) asks Eddie (Rick Cosnett) for a favor but asks him to keep it a secret from Barry. John Showalter directed the episode written by Alison Schapker & Brooke Eikmier (#111). Original airdate 1/27/2015.

Episode 11 of 23

Deftones 01-27-15 08:38 PM

Re: The Flash (S1E11) -- "The Sound and the Fury" -- 1/27/15

Royal Flush gang tease at the beginning? OK not a tease with a shout out. :up:

Woah, we see Wells use his super speed!

JuryDuty 01-27-15 09:10 PM

Guess there's no doubt now that Wells is Reverse Flash.

So I guess Barry and Iris are good friends again.

PhantomStranger 01-27-15 09:37 PM

They mentioned the Speed Force! Is Reverse Flash siphoning Barry's Speed Force to fix himself?

ddrknghtrtns 01-27-15 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12378398)
Royal Flush gang tease at the beginning? OK not a tease with a shout out. :up:

Woah, we see Wells use his super speed!

Hope they do more with the Royal Flush gang in the future.

TheBang 01-28-15 03:27 AM

Argh, I just can't accept it. Even with showing him have super-speed, I can't accept that it's as simple as Wells being the Reverse-Flash. There's gotta be a twist coming.

Xiroteus 01-28-15 04:47 AM

Now that is how you take away a weapon! Like how he should have done with Captain Cold etc....

There likely has to be a twist with wells.

ytrez 01-28-15 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12378438)
They mentioned the Speed Force! Is Reverse Flash siphoning Barry's Speed Force to fix himself?

I missed the mention of the Speed Force. Anyone got the quote?

~~ PAL ~~ 01-28-15 11:19 AM

It was near the very end. Wells told his futuristic computer (Gideon?) to crank up the Tachyon device he stole from Mercury Labs, and she/it reported that "Speed Force absorption at 35% and rising."

johnnysd 01-28-15 11:33 AM

Random thought:

What if Barry's mother is actually killed by Barry himself? maybe as a result of some type of typical comic book thing like where he becomes evil flash for a while, and Reverse Flash is trying to work towards preventing it?

OR

Reverse flash is trying to train up Barry so he can be able to beat Reverse Flash and save his mother

Just thinking of what the twist will be, and there definitely is a twist coming. I will leave the thread now as I am sure this will lead to tons of comic spoilers I do not want to read.

Draven 01-28-15 11:36 AM

FYI, I correctly recognized that Gideon is voiced by Morina Baccarin. She's getting all kinds of work these days.

I guess I have to give up my criticisms of all of the other ways the Flash could use his powers to stop someone. The man can dodge a bullet with ease but a random dude can raise his arm and activate a device before the Flash can even react? Ummm...

Also, the Pied Piper is a silly supervillain name (I know he was in the comics). Especially since he didn't really lead anyone anywhere.

I do want to say that right now I'm watching the show because of Barry and Wells. I like them as characters and their interactions with each other. The rest is just the stuff around that good stuff for me.

JuryDuty 01-28-15 11:51 AM

I still think that Wells as Reverse Flash HAS to kill Barry's mother. If Barry's mother doesn't die, Barry doesn't have the need to enter his profession, the drive to become The Flash. His life would take a completely different course. Without The Flash, the city is overrun by metahumans. Evil wins.

To Wells, it's clear that having Barry fulfill his calling as The Flash is penultimate. He'll do whatever it takes, even if it's wrong, to make Barry fulfill his destiny. And I think that includes killing his mother.

In Wells' mind, he's a hero if he saves the city by committing one sin. I believe the "twist" is that Wells is killing Barry's mother for Barry's own good.

PhantomStranger 01-28-15 01:14 PM

Would it change how people view these events if I told you the Flash is a well-known historical figure in the far future?

I think it's possible that Wells is the Reverse Flash at some point in his life, possibly in his own distant past or future. I don't think he's currently the Reverse Flash.

cleaver 01-28-15 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12378595)
Argh, I just can't accept it. Even with showing him have super-speed, I can't accept that it's as simple as Wells being the Reverse-Flash. There's gotta be a twist coming.

2 theories I've got is that Wells is either Eddie Thawne from the future or Barry from the future and an alternate reality.

PhantomStranger 01-28-15 03:17 PM

I'd be very shocked if they made Wells a future version of Barry. Wells did kill Simon Stagg in cold blood, which they haven't really touched on since.

Wolf359 01-28-15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 12378844)
I still think that Wells as Reverse Flash HAS to kill Barry's mother. If Barry's mother doesn't die, Barry doesn't have the need to enter his profession, the drive to become The Flash. His life would take a completely different course. Without The Flash, the city is overrun by metahumans.

In Wells' mind, he's a hero if he saves the city by committing one sin. I believe the "twist" is that Wells is killing Barry's mother for Barry's own good.

Except no particle accelerator explosion, no metahumans so he could have just stopped his experiment and not have to kill anyone.

whotony 01-28-15 10:55 PM

Jeez, Wells is not Barry from the future. That's just stupid and lazy story writing if it is.

When Mom was miurdered, don't forget there was a yellow and red streak zooming around
So clearly a fight between A Flash and A reverse Flash.
Anyway did anyone else notice that Flash's mask at his chin was seriously crooked while he was talking to Pied Piper.

I'm pretty sure we will come to see there is more than one person who is RF and maybe more than one
person who is The Flash.

I have not read a Flash book in 20 years so that is only a guess and not from comic knowledge.

Eric F 01-28-15 11:23 PM

I could have sworn tonight's villain was Sonar until he called himself Pied Piper. Sonar seemed the better fit.

JuryDuty 01-29-15 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 12379233)
Except no particle accelerator explosion, no metahumans so he could have just stopped his experiment and not have to kill anyone.

That's a good point...though he's pretty proud of his work...even his mistakes. Not sure if he'd stop that. He'd just rather have Barry around to clean up the mess. :lol:

cleaver 01-29-15 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12379115)
I'd be very shocked if they made Wells a future version of Barry. Wells did kill Simon Stagg in cold blood, which they haven't really touched on since.

It couldn't just be a future Barry, but it could have something to do with the Crisis reference in the future paper, like that Barry goes to a different dimension and that dimension's future Barry somehow goes back in time. This doesn't explain the mothers murder at all but it would explain Wells' interest in his disappearance in the future, his super speed, his desire to corral the speed force to get back to the future, his setting up the experiment to give Barry the super speed, him not wanting to kill Barry, and his resemblance to an older Barry.

RocShemp 01-29-15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 12379858)
and his resemblance to an older Barry.

In the comics, the first Reverse Flash, Eobard Thawne, was obsessed with Barry Allen and even had surgery to make himself look like Barry Allen. That would explain why Wells looks like he could be an older Barry Allen.

cleaver 01-29-15 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12379878)
In the comics, the first Reverse Flash, Eobard Thawne, was obsessed with Barry Allen and even had surgery to make himself look like Barry Allen. That would explain why Wells looks like he could be an older Barry Allen.

He does look more like the Eddie Thawne character 10 years in the future having had plastic surgery to look like Barry than Barry 10 years in the future. Plus he could be trying to use the speed force to replace Barry since he's disappeared.

Jackskeleton 01-29-15 12:44 PM

Zoom was more of the "make you better through tragedy" character and it does seem that Wells is fitting that role perfectly.

Cellar Door 01-29-15 01:05 PM

So they're locking up these supers in the detention cells at the lab and... are they in some kind of suspended animation? Or are Wells and the two scientists supposedly doing all the prison staff duties like feeding them and taking them to the restroom/showers and whatnot? Or are there other security staff there for that?

hdnmickey 01-29-15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 12379965)
So they're locking up these supers in the detention cells at the lab and... are they in some kind of suspended animation? Or are Wells and the two scientists supposedly doing all the prison staff duties like feeding them and taking them to the restroom/showers and whatnot? Or are there other security staff there for that?

I imagine that's something we're supposed to ignore. Like how he was able to grab the gauntlets off the Piper, but not grab the gun away from Cpt. Cold.

It's always amazing to me the nitpicking some people do with some shows, but then accept ridiculous things on others because they love the show.