DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Black Sails (Starz) -- Season 2 Thread -- 1/24/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624792-black-sails-starz-season-2-thread-1-24-15-a.html)

DJariya 01-24-15 03:52 AM

Black Sails (Starz) -- Season 2 Thread -- 1/24/15

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...c4&oe=5564E076

In the Season 2 premiere, Flint and Silver go before the crew to face judgment; Vane revels in his new position on the island; Max confronts Bonny; and Eleanor is faced with a new threat.

10 episode 2nd season

Starz already renewed the show for a 3rd season, which will air in 2016

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ICxxHmKmVcE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PhantomStranger 01-24-15 02:45 PM

Re: Black Sails (S2E01) -- Season Premiere -- "IX" -- 1/24/15

I liked the first season. I thought the episodes could have been cut a little shorter, many of them felt strained after nearly an hour.

The first season Blu-ray set looks incredible, one of the ten or fifteen best-looking discs ever produced. Pure eye candy.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/01/07/blac...lu-ray-review/

DJariya 01-28-15 11:59 PM

Finally watched the season premiere tonight. Did anyone else watch this yet or is this still sitting unwatched waiting for comments?

As I mentioned in the binge watching thread last weekend I binged the last few episodes of season 1 and recorded this on Saturday night. Finally had the time to watch it tonight.

Anyways, good start. The Pirate attack and massacre was a pretty gruesome way to start things. Good Special FX with the Pirate ships. I think the show ended season 1 with a lot of momentum, especially after Flint's ship got attacked along with the mutiny. It sucked that they killed off Gates in the season 1 finale. He was the voice of reason of Flint's ship. Creekdipper would lose his mind though with the amount of F bombs dropped in this episode. :lol: I recall he tore apart this show last season for it's inaccuracies, especially with the dialogue.

Anyways, things are really taking shape and this is starting to feel like the Pirate show that it was supposed to be. Seeing Long John Silver and Flint work together was kind of fun.

I had a feeling that Max and Anne Bonny would finally hook up. After Eleanor dumped Max, she was flirting a lot of Bonny.

There's still a lot of story to follow, so you can't really half ass watch this while surfing the net and reading your Ipad. If anyone here dropped the show in season 1 and was hoping to skip the episodes they missed to watch season 2, you can't do that unfortunately. You would miss a lot of plot that transpired.

VHS? 01-29-15 12:06 AM

After seeing it pimped at SDCC I couldn't wait for it. It finally arrived and I loved it.
Finally season 2 arrives and while it's just the 1st episode, I can see this is going to be an exciting season.

John Silver is not to be trusted but the sly devil he is, there's always a trick.
I could tell from last season that somehow Max and Anne Bonny would get a little closer.

I cant wait to see how Flint gets his command back.

creekdipper 01-29-15 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12379554)
Creekdipper would lose his mind though with the amount of F bombs dropped in this episode. :lol: I recall he tore apart this show last season for it's inaccuracies, especially with the dialogue.

Well, you were almost right, DJariya. :) When the episode started, I was thinking how much better things were going...and then Flint let fly with three in one sentence. And Eleanor was even worse. Perhaps people in those days did describe things gone badly as being a "f***-up", but just doesn't seem to match the setting.

See, here's the thing. I don't remember being upset so much for other inaccuracies, although there were probably some discussed (the worse problem was the pacing...as some reviewers have said, some of the episodes seemed padded when they were land-bound...and this in a 8-episode season!). But every time they start up sounding like every other current Hangover-clone with the 21st-century swearing, it just takes me right out of the atmosphere that they are trying so hard to construct.

I've seen the rationale given with Deadwood...that using the actual cursing of the day would make those characters seem like Yosemite Sam (literally). And I've heard the arguments going "Who knows exactly how they swore in those days?", yada yada. But it still just seems jarring when you've seen movies such as Tom Jones, Barry Lyndon, the Sharpe's series, etc. When someone says, "This is a show designed to appeal to modern audiences who are used to the swearing & can relate to it" (or some explanation along those lines), that, to me, just seems to be treating the audience as though the viewers are too stupid to be able to "relate" to an 18th-century setting unless the characters sound "modern."

So, yeah, I find it extremely disappointing (more -ohbfrank- than :hairpull:) that they've continued to go in this direction. It makes me think that there will ever be much hope for realistically-done period adventure shows/films unless they are "dumbed down" for audiences. It's as incongruous as the Bob Hope westerns, pirate, & costume drama comedies, but those were supposed to be incongruous. I'm not against having the pirates speak coarsely and with swearing, but wouldn't it seem more clever & interesting to hear some creative swearing done in 1700's vernacular? That would push the writers to be more creative, but is that a bad thing?

I'm sad when I think of future classics being remade with scenes such as Capt. Ahab yelling, "Have you seen the f***ing white whale?" because audiences can't relate to the scenes/characters otherwise. :(

Btw...I've agreed with your other comments as well as the other posts about the show picking up steam & being promising. I just wish that that the dialogue writers didn't bang a big gong every ten minutes to remind me that I'm watching 2015 actors pretending to be 1700's pirates. I wouldn't be any more surprised if Max told Anne Bonney to "chillax" or if our new captain Ned broke out into a Gangnam-style dance. I know it's a minority opinion, but I'm sure others feel that the dialogue detracts rather than adding. I guess it's good that a lot of fans appreciate it (there's always Capt. Blood, Black Swan, Sea Hawk, etc. for those of us who don't).

Some other shows (Outlander, for instance) do a better job with the dialogue, IMHO. Even The Knick seems more authentic, and that's set in far later times.

creekdipper 01-29-15 03:36 AM

With that off my chest (blame DJariya for prompting the tirade), I do like the plot points & new characters introduced. Lots going on in the first episode. Now if they can only continue & not get bogged down with the politicking & subplots that threatened to derail the first season.

creekdipper 02-01-15 01:12 AM

Black Sails (S2Ep02)--"X"--1/31/2015

Lots of action (on land & at sea). New plot developments (especially with Capt. Ned Lowe). Rackham, Bonney, & Max sort things out. Eleanor needs help from an old beau. Flint & Sliver connive together. Flashbacks add to Flint's backstory.

Seems that they're making up for the lagging Season 1 episodes. Guess they felt they had to lay out the whole complex tale, but all of the subplots slowed things down. Not a problem this season (so far).

They were remiss in having so few f-bombs with so many missed opportunities (especially Eleanor). That's why I have to downgrade this episode to a B+. -wink-

DJariya 02-01-15 01:23 AM

Re: Black Sails (S2Ep02)--"X"--1/31/2015

Thanks for posting. Was out tonight.

creekdipper 02-01-15 01:25 AM

You'll like it, DJariya. One of the best episodes yet. Maybe THE best episode yet.

Didn't mean to usurp since you're the man re: BS posts. Wish more people were watching (or posting).

If the show keeps getting renewed, I wonder if they'll ever pair up Anne Bonney with Mary Read as happened in history. Or maybe they'll turn Max into the Mary Read character. Like to see a movie about Bonney & Read. 2015 seems like the right time for a feature about the most famous (infamous?) female pirates, although Cutthroat Island may have soured that premise, and the POTC franchise may have worn out the pirate genre altogether.

DJariya 02-01-15 03:07 AM

:thumbsup: yes, just finished watching it. Agree with you solid episode. This is finally turning into the R rated and gritty Pirate show it was meant to be.

Good to see Billy Bones back. Was getting a little unsure about his status since he's been MIA for like 3 episodes going back to last season.

-eek- Holy crap Ned Low is a freaking psychopath. That beheading and then the subsequent murder was pretty gruesome. Eleanor has a problem there. Why was Charles Vane so laid back during that whole ordeal? It's pretty obvious he has a thing for Eleanor.

:lol: at how Silver was trying to win back the trust of the crew.

Good to see Flint getting his command back. Dufresne was totally out of his element trying to command the ship and then oversee the raid.

;) Glad to see Max and Anne Bonny kiss and make up.

creekdipper 02-01-15 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12382346)
Why was Charles Vane so laid back during that whole ordeal? It's pretty obvious he has a thing for Eleanor.

:lol: at how Silver was trying to win back the trust of the crew.

I think Vane was trying to emphasize just how much Eleanor needs him. Also, he might have wanted to wait until the fight was on more favorable terms (but I still think the first theory takes precedence).

Was hilarious watching Silver's attempts (although they seemed to be working eventually).

And I almost spewed my drink when my wife drolly commented, "Glad to see someone taking up for the goat."

DJariya 02-07-15 08:09 PM

Black Sails (S2E03) -- "XI" -- 2/7/15

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...ff&oe=5596E340

Flint encounters a problem upon returning to Nassau; an unlikely source provides Eleanor with help; Rackham tries to repair his reputation; Vane discovers a surprising prize.

Episode 3 of 10

VHS? 02-08-15 12:22 AM

Re: Black Sails (S2E03) -- "XI" -- 2/7/15

Well that demise came a little quicker than I had thought it would.
I would have liked to see a few more episodes with someone other than Flint and Vane doing battle.

creekdipper 02-08-15 03:12 PM

Great power chart but (as VHS? pointed out) already outdated.

Nice episode...I feared it was going to devolve into one of those talky episodes (all exposition, no action), but Vane saved the day.

Loved the early scene in which Silver reads "Last item..." followed by the crew stomping. How quickly things turn in this world. :lol:

Josh-da-man 02-08-15 06:45 PM

I'm thinking that Max may turn out to be Mary Read. Anyone else feeling that?

mugwump 02-08-15 08:00 PM

I almost gave up on this after the long slog that was last season but so far I'm liking the pace of this season much better.

VHS? 02-09-15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12389787)

It seems that way, with her hooking up with Anne Bonny past few episodes and all.

creekdipper 02-09-15 06:34 AM

I posed the same thing after last episode, VHS & Josh. It certainly looks as though it might be going in that direction, although wasn't Mary Read the one who married Rackham in real life?

(Edit: Never mind...just looked it up & seems that she married one of the crew but not Cap'n Jack.)

Well, at least it seems that the three have managed to work out their differences for the time being. :shrug:

I usually like rich back stories, but am I alone in feeling that the show drags when showing Flint flashbacks (and the current-day sort-of relationship with his former lover)?

barelypure 02-09-15 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12389787)

Maybe, 1 thing arguing against it is Mary was English and Max isn't portrayed that way.

I did have to go read about the whip marks on Anne's back. I had forgotten she had been whipped for adultery with Jack.

DJariya 02-09-15 09:46 PM

:thumbsup: Great episode.

That duel between Vane and Ned Low was awesome.

:lol: at Vane coming out with Low's head. That was a lot sooner than expected. Loved how Eleanor got aroused and jumped Vane's bones soon after.

Looks like Vane and Flint are going head to head soon.

dalbowski 02-10-15 01:22 AM

Hey Flint, the fort will still be there, the gold may not.

barelypure 02-10-15 09:22 AM

I wonder if they will show Calico Jack deposing Vane as captain once they get their ship.

Will Jim Hawkins appear after Captain Flint gets the gold?

creekdipper 02-10-15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by barelypure (Post 12391324)
I wonder if they will show Calico Jack deposing Vane as captain once they get their ship.

Will Jim Hawkins appear after Captain Flint gets the gold?

:lol:

If that happens, hope they license Led Zepp's "Black Dog" song for end credits.

DJariya 02-14-15 08:26 PM

Black Sails (S2E04) -- "XII" -- 2/14/15

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...9f&oe=558D9614

Flint lays down the law to Vane; Eleanor makes an important decision; Rackham sees what Max can do; and Silver reconnects with an old matey.

Episode 4 of 10

DJariya 02-21-15 07:33 PM

Black Sails (S2E05) -- "XIII" -- 2/21/15

http://www.starz.com/PublishingImage...11_900x506.jpg

Miranda endeavors to save the island; Eleanor sees old wounds reopened; Rackham is on the scent of a secret; and Vane is forced to take matters into his own hands.

Episode 5 of 10