DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - S: Kemper, Creator: Tina Fey (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624757-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-netflix-season-1-thread-s-kemper-creator-tina-fey.html)

astrochimp 03-07-15 08:33 PM

Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) S: Kemper, Burgess (created by Tina Fey)

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12416180)
Carol Kane is hilarious

So great to see her on TV.

I'm enjoying the show :up:

Troll the respawn Jeremy!

whotony 03-07-15 08:50 PM

Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) S: Kemper, Burgess (created by Tina Fey)

"The first seven episodes of the series were edited with the assumption they would be aired on NBC and adhered to a 22 minute time limit and included transitions for commercials. After the show was acquired by Netflix the episodes were reedited to remove commercial transitions and jokes that were previously omitted due to running time constraints were reinserted."

RichC2 03-07-15 08:58 PM

She absolutely nails the whole "15 year old in arrested development" thing on this show, her reactions are absolutely spot on and I can't picture anyone else in the role at this point.

Nth Power 03-08-15 08:57 AM

I'm a few episodes in and it's pretty great. Never cared much for The Office, but I've always liked Ellie Kemper. Good solid cast and definitely has the 30 Rock humor vibe, which I've missed.

RichC2 03-08-15 10:22 AM

Guess they cut down the actual opening song sequence by a few seconds:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WYNbp0u8WjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TerryW 03-09-15 06:29 PM

2 episodes in and this is not working for me. Loved Ellie on The Office but this is too much.

movieking 03-09-15 07:37 PM

I had my doubts after the first episode but having seen 7 episodes so far, I like it. I thought that there would be too much Krakowski, too much kids, too much Carol Kane, too much gay best friend, etc. But there hasn't been too much kids, Kane or Krakowski, and the gay best friend isn't as annoying as I thought he would be.

Dr. DVD 03-09-15 07:54 PM

So it gets better after the first ep.? Watched it today and found it pretty annoying, though Kemper did a great job.

RichC2 03-09-15 08:18 PM

It improves a lot around ep 4, had to find its groove.

Matt925 03-09-15 09:19 PM

I wasn't feeling the pilot, but by episode 2-3 I started really enjoying it. Only watched the first four so far, but I can tell I'm going to go back and rewatch everything. There are some really sharp rapid fire jokes in this show.

Troy Stiffler 03-10-15 02:15 PM

I wish 30 Rock went on for the next 20 years. It's my favorite show ever. I didn't know this was being made. So it was really a treat to find out about this show.

This show has the same surreal elements as 30 Rock. I'm liking it. I really look forward to more episodes.

RichC2 03-10-15 02:34 PM

I wish I didn't finish all 13 episodes in like a day.

Nth Power 03-10-15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12418938)
I wish I didn't finish all 13 episodes in like a day.

I've been resisting the urge to binge watch all the episodes. I don't want it to be over.

It was good to see Dean Norris out of the Dome.

and I still get a kick out of the name Xanthippe Lannister Vorhees. :lol:

tonyc3742 03-10-15 08:58 PM

This is a great show. I'm halfway through :( and just started watching.
Never watched 30 Rock, if it's as good as this I'll have to start.

writer106 03-10-15 09:02 PM

So far I've watched nine episodes. I want to finish up before the end of the week. I'm enjoying the show. A good cast was put together. Xanthippe has grown on me a bit.

dolphinboy 03-10-15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson (Post 12419433)
This is a great show. I'm halfway through :( and just started watching.

I'm a big fan of this show, but 30 Rock had a pretty long run and is certainly a better show than this and I can't imagine anyone liking one and not really liking the other. They are very similar.

windom 03-10-15 09:57 PM

Haven't seen the show but I'm hearing the show is kind of racist. True?

whotony 03-10-15 10:04 PM

I think that's what Steven A. Smith says.

Joking aside, who told you that and what is their definition of racist?

Troy Stiffler 03-10-15 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson (Post 12419433)

Now that it's ended, and I've watched it over and over, I can say that 30 Rock is my favorite show ever. Much like the way people can watch Seinfeld or MASH over and over, I never tire of 30 Rock.

windom 03-10-15 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 12419490)
Joking aside, who told you that and what is their definition of racist?

I think I first saw it mentioned on Twitter. Found the following articles on the matter:

http://netflixlife.com/2015/03/09/un...tive-american/

https://medium.com/@emmieodea/the-un...m-4465102f3173

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/unbre...-american.html

whotony 03-10-15 10:47 PM

Eh, that's just something for people to get riled up about.
My only issue is that Jane Krakowski is on that show.
Can't stand her.

One trick actor.

RocShemp 03-10-15 11:43 PM

I just finished the season and want more. When is season 2?

Rypro 525 03-11-15 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12419487)
Haven't seen the show but I'm hearing the show is kind of racist. True?

I take it some aren't thrilled about a white socialite originally coming from a Native American background & it being shown in flashback

RocShemp 03-11-15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12419594)
I take it some aren't thrilled about a white socialite originally coming from a Native American background & it being shown in flashback

Yup. Although the main complaint is that said white socialite is played by a white actress. Apparently it's only funny if the character were played by a Native American. :shrug:

I wonder how pissed they must've been when the show casually mentions in another flashback that
Spoiler:
her great grandfather (on her father's side) was white.

DJariya 03-11-15 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12419562)
I just finished the season and want more. When is season 2?

Most likely sometime in 2016.