DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Horror Story (S4E13) -- Season Finale -- "Curtain Call" -- 1/21/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624745-american-horror-story-s4e13-season-finale-curtain-call-1-21-15-a.html)

DJariya 01-21-15 04:31 PM

American Horror Story (S4E13) -- Season Finale -- "Curtain Call" -- 1/21/15

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...de&oe=5562C631

SEASON FINALE - Chapter 13 / Production #413 - "Curtain Call" (Airs January 21, 10:00pm e/p) - The Freaks rebel against new management. Dandy prepares for his debut performance. Elsa arrives in Tinseltown. Written by John J. Gray; directed by Bradley Buecker.

Season Finale tonight. This was renewed for a 5th season back in October. However, seems like this has taken a nosedive interest-wise here.

Astrofan 01-21-15 06:18 PM

Re: American Horror Story (S4E13) -- Season Finale -- "Curtain Call" -- 1/21/15

I've always liked this series, but I stopped watching this season around the 4th episode. Had its usual cleverness, but there was something too grim for me to move forward. I will, however, check out the 5th season when it airs.

writer106 01-21-15 10:30 PM

It was good to see one character get what was coming to them.

windom 01-21-15 10:34 PM

It seems like they forgot that Elsa had fake legs below the knee. She was in short dresses showing her legs and they looked pretty real even if she had stockings on. Plus her knees bent pretty well when the cop pushed her to the ground.

Pretty good finale for an average season though. I would have liked to have seen Pepper watching Elsa on TV though.

onebyone 01-21-15 11:39 PM

That finale was all over the place and surely full of flaws if I want to think about them, but alas, it was a lot of fun.

I am going to miss Jessica if she truly isn't coming back for more. I guess we will be in for a lot of changes next season.

Jackskeleton 01-22-15 01:15 AM

Jesus, that was fucking boring. It's like they love to make the freaks just really shitty people.. cause, you know, they're "just like us"

It's probably something the writers are doing intentionally. Because the dialogue they wrote wasn't backed up by character's actions in showing them as really not that freakly. Every episode was brimming with the message that freaks are good people just being persecuted by the world but then they go ahead and backstab and murder one another. Apparently freaks stick together only when they aren't trying to kill one another.

to wrap up the whole freak show with a killing spree 30 minutes into this only to give us a shit ton of unwanted Elsa song and dance.. yeah. Ugh. If they were going to do the out-of-time-music, at least they could keep that theme going for every episode. Not just drop it like one of their poorly planned out plot points.

At least it's over now.

Paff 01-22-15 02:23 AM

Actually, I thought this was one of the better AHS season finales. Sadly, that's not saying a lot. They left a little story remaining (unlike past seasons, especially Asylum) and tied it up at the end. I could have dealt without the Elsa-singing-a-modern-song bit they failed miserably with earlier in the season, but I like how she chose to end things. Angela Bassett finally got some screen time, and showed why she was the best thing about Coven. She really was under-utilized in Freak Show. And at least it did not end on a reality TV-style competition like Coven did.

mnementh 01-22-15 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by writer106 (Post 12371958)
It was good to see one character get what was coming to them.

I was hoping Dandy would get tortured. Drowning's too quick.

writer106 01-22-15 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 12372087)
I was hoping Dandy would get tortured. Drowning's too quick.

I was also thinking that he would have been tortured when he started to feel drugged. I thought they would have turned him into another meep like they did with Stanley. I also had to wonder about Dandy's lackey cop, but the writers probably forgot about that. There some Dandy fans on twitter that were pissed that he was killed. Before the finale, I figured he would have killed most of the freaks. The freaks had no idea that in many ways he was worse than other characters like Elsa and Maggie.

I also thought the freaks were pretty shitty at times. The only freak that wasn't shitty at all was Ethel. It was good to see her in the last few minutes of the finale.

writer106 01-22-15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone (Post 12372007)
That finale was all over the place and surely full of flaws if I want to think about them, but alas, it was a lot of fun.

I am going to miss Jessica if she truly isn't coming back for more. I guess we will be in for a lot of changes next season.

I'll miss her too. But if Kathy Bates or Angela Bassett return, the show could do well with one or both of them as leads.

mike7162 01-22-15 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by writer106 (Post 12372226)
I'll miss her too. But if Kathy Bates or Angela Bassett return, the show could do well with one or both of them as leads.

Agreed - Angela Bassett's acting style is perfectly suited for the show and I just love Kathy Bates.

Josh-da-man 01-22-15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by writer106 (Post 12372224)

I also thought the freaks were pretty shitty at times.

Yeah, did drug and gang-rape that girl in the first episode, which was pretty fucking heinous, but that was immediately forgotten, and the girl even ended up joining the freak show. Not sure what the hell I'm supposed to make of her arc. Drugged and raped. Falls for one of her rapists. Mutilated by her father (who was also possibly sexually abusing her as well). Joins the freak show that gang-raped her. Gets murdered by a sociopath.

cleaver 01-22-15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12372575)
Yeah, did drug and gang-rape that girl in the first episode, which was pretty fucking heinous, but that was immediately forgotten, and the girl even ended up joining the freak show. Not sure what the hell I'm supposed to make of her arc. Drugged and raped. Falls for one of her rapists. Mutilated by her father (who was also possibly sexually abusing her as well). Joins the freak show that gang-raped her. Gets murdered by a sociopath.

Flipper guy was the only one that was having sex with her, the rest of them just did freaky freak stuff in the foreground while that was going down.

bralph 01-23-15 07:38 AM

My DVR cut off the last 15 minutes even though it recognized that the show was 1:17. Strange. If someone could provide a recap in spoilers, I would appreciate it. I actually enjoyed the first half of the finale, but once it moved to Elsa in Hollywood I lost interest.

joe_b 01-23-15 08:25 AM

^ Here ya go.

Spoiler:
The network wants Elsa to do a live Halloween special, but she refuses to perform on that night due to the Edward Mordrake curse. Then the president of the network tells her that gossip columnist Hedda Hopper has obtained the snuff film of Elsa having her legs sawed off and will be going public with the story. He also mentions that Hopper had a detective trace her trail back to Jupiter, FL and discovered she used to run a freak show, which is a violation of her morality clause. He then informs her that most of the freaks where found murdered eight years prior. At this point, Elsa knows her life in Hollywood is finished. She agrees to perform on Halloween as a form of suicide.

She goes on live and starts performing "Heroes" by David Bowie. We cut to Des and her husband (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) walking on a city street after taking their two sons trick-or-treating. She looks inside a store window and sees Elsa's show on television. We then see Jimmy sitting at home, also watching the broadcast. A pregnant Dot and Bette come and sit on the couch by him, implying they are now married. The twins decide to shut off the program.

Edward Mordrake (along with Twisty the Clown and a few other victims) shows up at the studio to claim Elsa. She stops performing and asks to be taken. Everyone in the studio just thinks Elsa is talking to thin air. Mordrake realizes she wants to be killed and stabs her with his blade, but tells her she doesn't belong with his group. After collapsing on-air, Elsa wakes up in the freak show tent. She is reunited with Ma Petite and all the other dead freaks. Ethel appears and Elsa asks her if she will be punished for her sins. Ethel tells her everyone acts out the role they were born to play in life and Elsa will suffer no consequences. Elsa then prepares to take the stage again to perform "Life on Mars" to a full house. The screen cuts to black just before she starts singing.

starseed1981 01-23-15 09:18 AM

Like Coven the last half of this season was just all over the place. It wasn't bad but I really wish that they'd focus on a cohesive narrative like they did in Murder House. And thank goodness we weren't subjected to two Jessica Lange singing sessions in the same episode. That was actually the scariest part for me.

bralph 01-23-15 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12373350)
^ Here ya go.

Spoiler:
The network wants Elsa to do a live Halloween special, but she refuses to perform on that night due to the Edward Mordrake curse. Then the president of the network tells her that gossip columnist Hedda Hopper has obtained the snuff film of Elsa having her legs sawed off and will be going public with the story. He also mentions that Hopper had a detective trace her trail back to Jupiter, FL and discovered she used to run a freak show, which is a violation of her morality clause. He then informs her that most of the freaks where found murdered eight years prior. At this point, Elsa knows her life in Hollywood is finished. She agrees to perform on Halloween as a form of suicide.

She goes on live and starts performing "Heroes" by David Bowie. We cut to Des and her husband (Malcolm-Jamal Warner) walking on a city street after taking their two sons trick-or-treating. She looks inside a store window and sees Elsa's show on television. We then see Jimmy sitting at home, also watching the broadcast. A pregnant Dot and Bette come and sit on the couch by him, implying they are now married. The twins decide to shut off the program.

Edward Mordrake (along with Twisty the Clown and a few other victims) shows up at the studio to claim Elsa. She stops performing and asks to be taken. Everyone in the studio just thinks Elsa is talking to thin air. Mordrake realizes she wants to be killed and stabs her with his blade, but tells her she doesn't belong with his group. After collapsing on-air, Elsa wakes up in the freak show tent. She is reunited with Ma Petite and all the other dead freaks. Ethel appears and Elsa asks her if she will be punished for her sins. Ethel tells her everyone acts out the role they were born to play in life and Elsa will suffer no consequences. Elsa then prepares to take the stage again to perform "Life on Mars" to a full house. The screen cuts to black just before she starts singing.

Thanks. Doesn't seem like I missed much.

EdTheRipper 01-24-15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12373401)
Like Coven the last half of this season was just all over the place. It wasn't bad but I really wish that they'd focus on a cohesive narrative like they did in Murder House. And thank goodness we weren't subjected to two Jessica Lange singing sessions in the same episode. That was actually the scariest part for me.

I never finished Coven, but I agree about the second half of this season. I binged most of them off of the DVR over the past couple of weeks. The season started really strong and then just fell apart.

taffer 01-24-15 06:47 PM

I just binge watched the whole season this week. I think I am done with this show. I loved Murder House. I liked Asylum (apart from the alien nonsense). I did not like Coven at all. I liked the first four episodes of Freak Show primarily because of Twisty, but the season fell completely apart once his story was done. At this point, I don't think I am going to watch next season. I feel like I am done with this show completely.

Troy Stiffler 01-24-15 08:19 PM

Edward Mordrake return is enough for me to take a look.

The Questyen 01-24-15 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 12375104)
I just binge watched the whole season this week. I think I am done with this show. I loved Murder House. I liked Asylum (apart from the alien nonsense). I did not like Coven at all. I liked the first four episodes of Freak Show primarily because of Twisty, but the season fell completely apart once his story was done. At this point, I don't think I am going to watch next season. I feel like I am done with this show completely.

This is pretty much exactly my feelings.

taffer 01-24-15 11:40 PM

Did anyone else think of Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure every time Dandy was on-screen? I don't know if it was intentional, but they seemed practically like the same character. Both are a rich spoiled man-child with toys and stuff, and something about the whole Dandy story just seemed kind of Tim Burton-esque.

Troy Stiffler 01-25-15 10:12 AM

I didn't care of the last two seasons. Asylum was awkward, but still enjoyable. Season 1 is still the best.

However, I have high hopes for it. I think that Jessica Lange said she won't be back. She was good. But her departure will freshen up the cast a bit. And the show could do whatever it wants. It's a brand new story. It could completely reinvent itself next season.

So I wouldn't give up on it.

ericmylad 01-25-15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 12375278)
Did anyone else think of Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure every time Dandy was on-screen? I don't know if it was intentional, but they seemed practically like the same character. Both are a rich spoiled man-child with toys and stuff, and something about the whole Dandy story just seemed kind of Tim Burton-esque.

http://grouchymuffin.com/wp-content/...5-photo-GC.jpg

joliom 01-25-15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 12375219)
This is pretty much exactly my feelings.

Mine too.