TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 30 Cast Announced

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 30 Cast Announced

Originally Posted by madcougar
Am I the only one who thinks it would be funny for team white collar to have a priest on it?
I misread that at first thinking you said the white collars had a priest on it and went through the list twice wondering which one he was.

Then I read it again and it was much clearer.
Old 01-22-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this concept when it was first presented at last season's reunion but I've done a 180 on it. I get what they're going for but it doesn't make sense. I feel that we've seen time and again that a person's real life job rarely dictates their Survivor game.

I think the idea was that they're hoping the white collar people will get by on smarts, the blue collar people will get by on working hard and the no collar people will get by on having good personalities... but I don't think it'll necessarily play out that way. A coconut vendor can be a douche, a hairdresser can be lazy and a Yahoo executive is probably pretty dumb.
Old 01-22-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who don't know, beard man (Max Dawson) is well-known amongst fans for teaching a course on Survivor at Northwestern for a while. I don't know why he decided to move on from being a prof, but I am assuming he wasn't tenure-track and he thought his current choice was more lucrative.
Old 01-22-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
For those who don't know, beard man (Max Dawson) is well-known amongst fans for teaching a course on Survivor at Northwestern for a while. I don't know why he decided to move on from being a prof, but I am assuming he wasn't tenure-track and he thought his current choice was more lucrative.
A class on Survivor? MysterioMan007's beard instincts seem pretty accurate.
Old 01-22-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Isn't a palm tree technichaly a coconut vendor?
"There's money in the coconut stand."
Old 01-23-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

30 seasons? Wow!

I thought it would have been cancelled a long time ago.
Old 01-23-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?

Shirin Oskooi (Yahoo Executive)
So Yahoo gets a plug but nobody else's company does?
Old 01-24-15, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underwhelmed. Of course the producers cast every season looking for contestants who are telegenic/interesting regardless of the 'theme' (although it also seems suspiciously like they also recruit some cannon fodder who will be immediately jettisoned in the early going).

They might as well just assemble the cast randomly and then look them over to see what sort of 'theme' they can shoehorn in since the whole concept will be abandoned as soon as one team becomes dominant & another starts being decimated. Happens every time (ever since the early seasons in which they actually allowed one team (out of only two) to get down to a single player.

Coconut vendor should be an early fan favorite for curiosity factor alone.
Old 01-24-15, 07:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I liked this concept when it was first presented at last season's reunion but I've done a 180 on it. I get what they're going for but it doesn't make sense. I feel that we've seen time and again that a person's real life job rarely dictates their Survivor game.

I think the idea was that they're hoping the white collar people will get by on smarts, the blue collar people will get by on working hard and the no collar people will get by on having good personalities... but I don't think it'll necessarily play out that way. A coconut vendor can be a douche, a hairdresser can be lazy and a Yahoo executive is probably pretty dumb.
Surely you're not suggesting that some of the Brains, Brawn, & Beauty contestants were interchangeable!
Old 01-24-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm still waiting for Brenden and Rachel to be cast. He could be white collar (studying cures for cancer, PHd candidate) and she could be blue collar (from her cocktail waitressing days)... I'm sure that would have gone over well with her

But, really, I would like to see them in a future season.
Old 01-25-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001

It's not some big secret that these divisions are mostly cosmetic. Jeff has pretty much said as much. He said last season they decided on the format and then cast around it and it didn't work nearly as well as they'd hoped. This season they put together the best cast they could have then figured out a way to separate them.

And I don't think anyone is saying that every player on every team is going to act and think exactly like their teammates. And nobody in their right mind should want that.
Old 01-25-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the usual Survivor breakdown: 14 white people, 4 minorities, equal number of males and females, at least 4 pieces of female eye candy and 2 male, and, of course, 2-3 obvious weirdos to stir the pot. After 30 seasons, their casting formula is beyond obvious.

Also, on a side note, how does "former talent agent assistant" make him white collar? Doesn't that make him unemployed? And even when he had that job, he was just a secretary. Sure they work in offices, but so do security guards and customer service operators.