DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S1E10) -- "Revenge of the Rogues" -- 1/20/15 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624722-flash-s1e10-revenge-rogues-1-20-15-a.html)

DJariya 01-20-15 02:25 PM

The Flash (S1E10) -- "Revenge of the Rogues" -- 1/20/15

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/...13b-117730.jpg

http://www.seat42f.com/wp-content/up...mo-photo-2.jpg

Prison Break Reunion!!!

"Revenge of the Rogues" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

WENTWORTH MILLER AND DOMINIC PURCELL ("PRISON BREAK") TEAM UP AGAIN AS CAPTAIN COLD AND HEAT WAVE CHALLENGE THE FLASH TO AN EPIC BATTLE - Leonard Snart AKA Captain Cold (guest star Wentworth Miller) returns to Central City with a new hotheaded partner in tow - Mick Rory AKA Heat Wave (guest star Dominic Purcell). The duo plan to steal a multi-million dollar painting, but Cold has another agenda while in town - to set a trap for The Flash. Snart and Mick kidnap someone close to The Flash and threaten to kill them unless The Flash shows up for a battle of fire and ice. Barry tells Joe (Jesse L. Martin) he isn't sure he should take on Snart again after the casualties that happened the last time they fought. Meanwhile, Barry asks Dr. Wells (Tom Cavanagh), Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) and Cisco (Carlos Valdes) to help him double his training efforts so he's ready for the Reverse Flash when he returns to Central City. Iris (Candice Patton) deals with the aftermath of Barry's confession, and Cisco makes the CCPD a new shield.

Nick Copus directed the episode written by Geoff Johns & Kai Yu Wu (#110). Original airdate 1/20/2015.

Episode 10 of 23

DJariya 01-20-15 02:40 PM

Re: The Flash (S1E10) -- "Revenge of the Rogues" -- 1/20/15

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...natural-762522

In case you missed it, The Flash was renewed for a 2nd season. Duh

Libby 01-20-15 03:29 PM

favorite new tv show! looking forward to the next chapter not surprised it was renewed very well done for its rookie season! network must have a lot of faith having a 23 episode order.

The Valeyard 01-20-15 11:32 PM

Thought this was a pretty meh episode. Didn't like the way Miller and Purcell decided to act as their characters. Felt campy to me.

Looking forward to the build up to Firestorm.

the_dude8 01-20-15 11:36 PM

So what is Cold storm's sister power?

Xiroteus 01-21-15 01:12 AM

I really enjoy this series, even with that said, the police could have just shot those guys, Flash can move before they can blink, they have NO powers, they would not be hard to beat.

bacigalup 01-21-15 07:57 AM

This Silver Age cover came to mind after watching this episode:

http://i57.tinypic.com/28uprgg.jpg

MysterioMan007 01-21-15 08:24 AM

I wasn't feeling this one, either. It was a nice throwback to Prison Break to see the Scofield boys together again, but ultimately the casting distracted me a little from the episode itself.

SmithsGuy 01-21-15 11:35 AM

This was fun but the guys did seem to be playing their Prison Break characters eh?

Was surprised that they didn't mention that Professor Stein was missing since the explosion? (I had figured that was when Firestorm was formed? Perhaps not.)

Deftones 01-21-15 12:04 PM

so what was the comic book in the backpack? i couldn't catch it. maybe a bit of foreshadowing to a future character?

1998Nole 01-21-15 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12371211)
so what was the comic book in the backpack? i couldn't catch it. maybe a bit of foreshadowing to a future character?

It was Space Ghost. I was surprised it was not an easter egg

PhantomStranger 01-21-15 12:25 PM

They only showed the cover for a split second, I think it was a Space Ghost? comic or something. I guess they didn't want to raise questions if they flashed an actual DC Comics cover (Marvel would obviously be taboo). I think we were supposed to get the idea that Barry grew up a comic book reader, leading to his easy acceptance of all the codenames and his superpowers.

I did like how they had the police force quickly accept the Flash's heroics, even if the fight was staged a little oddly. I think Eddie does turn bad in the long run, they are setting him up for a tragic fall when Iris realizes she loves Barry.

Viewers need to suspend their disbelief when the Flash fights almost anyone below Superman's class. Yes, his speed would pretty much defeat everyone but the most clever villains. Fights should take two seconds. Flash is not Batman, a human fighting by hand. They have been pretty good at showing Barry's inexperience costing him "points" in these battles, even if he ultimately prevails. Barry got whipped when he came up against someone with similar powers.

The Valeyard 01-21-15 12:35 PM

The whole battle was disappointing. Especially after they hyped it as a "knockdown, drag out Superman II fight in the streets." A sniper should have pegged either one of them before they destroyed more property.

Jason 01-21-15 04:55 PM

Man, that was some corny-ass comic book dialogue from the freezy-burny boys. Fun, but after getting the real storyline going with the Reverse Flash this sort of felt like filler. It was interesting during the training session when Dr. Wells looked like he might get out of the chair to rescue Barry. I wonder if the others noticed?

Kind of surprised the Flash went from Public Enemy #1 to their beloved savior overnight. Thought that public menace Flash would be the dramatic tension between Eddie, Iris and Barry. I really like the dynamics of the Barry/Joe relationship. Father figure, boss, and buddy. An interesting combination they seem to be pulling off pretty well. Glad it was renewed for a full second season.

Orbi-Wan Techno 01-21-15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12371251)
They only showed the cover for a split second, I think it was a Space Ghost? comic or something.

Definitely Space Ghost...

Orbi-Wan Techno 01-21-15 06:12 PM

I would have dubbed the bad guys this week the Icy-Hots...

flashburn 01-21-15 06:39 PM

Kind of disappointing, as I was expecting a lot more with the Prison Break teamup episode. I didn't mind how cheesy they were, but like Jason said, it felt like a filler episode. Also, the fight was just terrible, why couldn't he just run over to them and take their guns real quick? It's such a bummer that the writing can be so sloppy with regards to the Flash using his powers, because the rest of the time this show is pretty great.

mikehunt 01-21-15 06:48 PM

the cold guy wearing the parka all the time, even when not using the cold gun, was kind of lame. Although it did make him look like a realistic version of the comic drawing so it's forgivable

Xiroteus 01-21-15 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 12371779)
Kind of disappointing, as I was expecting a lot more with the Prison Break teamup episode. I didn't mind how cheesy they were, but like Jason said, it felt like a filler episode. Also, the fight was just terrible, why couldn't he just run over to them and take their guns real quick? It's such a bummer that the writing can be so sloppy with regards to the Flash using his powers, because the rest of the time this show is pretty great.

I really do enjoy the show. There was no reason he could not have just taken the guns while they were blinking. Flash basically needs powers that challenge his own. Regular guys with guns just does not cut it.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12371280)
The whole battle was disappointing. Especially after they hyped it as a "knockdown, drag out Superman II fight in the streets." A sniper should have pegged either one of them before they destroyed more property.

I had the same thought. They are just normal guys with power guns with no armor. NOT that hard to take out.

RocShemp 01-21-15 08:32 PM

I had fun with this episode. Yeah, the showdown wasn't epic and there are a million ways to take them out but the comics pull this shit all the time so I forgive it.

RocShemp 01-21-15 08:35 PM

As other have said, it was Space Ghost.

Deftones 01-21-15 08:36 PM

ah ok. so no potential characters for the future. that would've been a cool easter egg had they don that.

PhantomStranger 01-21-15 09:58 PM

Alex Toth, Space Ghost's creator, did design the Super Friends. A possible hint? My life would come full circle if Apache Chief shows up.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20090711195241

will travel 01-22-15 01:42 AM

The Captain Cold-Heat Wave supervillain team up was everything I hoped for.
They made a good combo. Cold had a decent plan.
Nice showdown with Flash with good Special FXs.

Nice to see the Rathaways and mention of their son. Who appears in the next episode.

Cameoes from Lisa Snart and Martin Stein.

A Shout out to Hudson University. Dick Grayson went to college there in the pre-crisis days.

starseed1981 01-22-15 09:28 AM

Loved Prison Break so it was great to see the Scofield brothers together again. Outside of that I really think Barry needs a new love interest or something. He just comes off as some lovelorn puppy right now.