Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Dogs -- US Remake (Amazon) -- created by Shawn Ryan

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 06:01 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mad Dogs -- US Remake (Amazon) -- created by Shawn Ryan

I loved the UK version, it starred some of my favourite english actors like Marc Warren and Max beesley

now i thought the show was great because of the actors and the performances. The story wasn't anything mega.

So the US remake will be interesting

Will it be another Office ? (i.e. good) or will it be a Coupling ? (beyond terrible) or will it be an inbetweeners ? (vastly inferior but watchable)
Old 01-22-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Mad Dogs US Remake

I did not see the UK version, but I loved the US (amazon) pilot I watched many months ago. Then last night I see a full season of 10 episodes up on amazon, and I'm thrilled. Watched ep. 2 & I'm totally digging it. It's the characters for me, which I find fantastic (esp. Michael Imperioli). I'm definitely in for all 10--nice work, amazon!

P.S. I see it's been over a year since that first post. Funny.
Old 01-22-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Mad Dogs -- US Remake (Amazon) -- created by Shawn Ryan

I am watching episode 3 right now. It is far-fetched at points, but intriguing.
Old 01-23-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm on episode 7 and IT IS far fetched. There are some seriously and highly improbable moments in addition to some seriously fucking cool moments to the show.

As of episode 7 I give it a 6 out of 10. I might as well finish it and see if it finishes strong.
Old 01-24-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

A lot of it is contrived as hell, but it's enjoyable enough. Some irritating bits here and there.
Old 01-24-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished it. The first few episodes were good but beginning with
Spoiler:
the meeting with the girl at the embassy
it went downhill quickly. The last few episodes were not very good.
Old 01-25-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Knocked this out today. Yup, the last few episodes were great - the middle sucked, though, and it made me want more episodes, because the last episode was fantastic.
Old 01-25-16, 11:59 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm on episode 3, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Man, these guys are dumb as hell. Reminds me of "Very Bad Things."
Old 01-25-16, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've watched the first three episodes. It's enjoyable enough. Nothing great IMO, but an easy watch. I'll most likely complete the season.
Old 01-25-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The UK series was great. The series finale was... odd. However I can't see Shawn Ryan keeping that finale if it ever gets to that point where they get a few seasons in and have to end it. It's just not his style at all thankfully.
Old 01-26-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I forgot I watched the pilot months ago because when I went to the episodes listing it was checked off as watched. I had to rewatch it 'cause I couldn't remember most of it. Damn, these guys are idiots.
Old 01-26-16, 11:35 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I forgot I watched the pilot months ago because when I went to the episodes listing it was checked off as watched. I had to rewatch it 'cause I couldn't remember most of it. Damn, these guys are idiots.
Yeah, I like it a lot, but I wish S. Ryan would have made it a little more gritty and a little less goofy. They all act so stupid it gets kinda grating, but I'm definitely glad it got made. I have 3 eps. left.

Edit: Finished it. LOVED the ending, although I would have been fine with
Spoiler:
Joel not killing the guy and just going into business with him.
Really glad Amazon got this show made.

Last edited by uteotw; 01-29-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Despite the stupid behavior of the characters at time this show is awesome

That dog scene tho

Got two episodes left
Old 02-08-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never wanted to physically harm a character as much as Steve Zahn's character.
Old 02-09-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

The first four episodes were a lot of fun and then the show became extremely bizarre. Way too much filler. In the end, I'm not sure the payoff was worth the journey.
Old 02-09-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
The first four episodes were a lot of fun and then the show became extremely bizarre. Way too much filler. In the end, I'm not sure the payoff was worth the journey.
That is how I feel. The first few were interesting, but the back half was bad enough that I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time.
Old 02-09-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I'll agree with the last 2 posts.

It started out decently and thought it was going to go somewhere interesting, but the second half sputtered away across the finish line. It's like they didn't know what to do and just threw a bunch of stuff at us. Did we really need Rochelle's inclusion?

And they definitely could've trimmed the show down to 8 episodes... maybe even 7. Stuff like the time spent in quarantine seemed kinda pointless.

Not horrible, but even though I didn't have high expectations - I was disappointed.

Last edited by Coral; 02-10-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 01:05 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The plot was far-fetched, for sure, but it kept my interest all the way through. I didn't notice much slowdown in the later episodes like others did.
Old 02-10-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echoing the same sentiments, I was loving the show at first - thought the Clark Johnson directed EP was amazing (episode 4) and then it just spiraled. I liked the way it ended but the show never got as interesting or as exciting as it was early on...and all the characters became more annoying as it went. Having the ghost/hallucinations was horrendous and it never really felt like a true Shawn Ryan show (he only wrote what....1 ep? Yeah he produced it but it didn't feel like HIS show). I'd probably give a second season a chance but hopefully they can dial down the obnoxious characters/dialogue/philosophy that really permeated the back half.
Old 02-11-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The plot was far-fetched, for sure, but it kept my interest all the way through. I didn't notice much slowdown in the later episodes like others did.
Agreed.
I loved this series.
Old 02-21-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Question for anyone who has seen both the UK original and the Amazon remake: Did this season of Amazon's version basically follow the first season of the UK version?

Someone asked me today if they condensed all 14 episodes of the original series into 10 Amazon episodes, or if Amazon stretched the four episodes of season one of the UK version into 10 Amazon episodes. Or did they, like, combine season 1 and 2 of the original into one 10 episode season. Does that make sense?
Old 02-22-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Question for anyone who has seen both the UK original and the Amazon remake: Did this season of Amazon's version basically follow the first season of the UK version?

Someone asked me today if they condensed all 14 episodes of the original series into 10 Amazon episodes, or if Amazon stretched the four episodes of season one of the UK version into 10 Amazon episodes. Or did they, like, combine season 1 and 2 of the original into one 10 episode season. Does that make sense?
I haven't, but each Series of the original show was 4 episodes long. The Amazon series seems to run parallel to the first two and the first episode of the third of the original show (9 episodes in all) based on episode descriptions.
Old 02-22-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks! I hate to nitpick, but S4 of the original was only 2 episodes.
Old 02-22-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Thanks! I hate to nitpick, but S4 of the original was only 2 episodes.
Good call, and man if this gets another season I hope they don't go with the original finale.
Old 02-29-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, so much for that. There will not be a second season. Shawn Ryan says Amazon wants more but don't want to use his story.

http://www.slashfilm.com/mad-dogs-season-2/

Wanted to report that a decision was made not to make any more episodes of Mad Dogs. We were lucky to be one the best reviewed dramas on Amazon, if not the best. A lot of critics got what we were going for, so thanks. Some Amazon employees told me that Mad Dogs, after only four weeks, already had better streaming stats than many other Amazon shows. So, thanks to the viewers for finding, embracing and binging the show. It’s been a blast to read your joy and shock on Twitter. That said, Mad Dogs was originally intended to be a closed 10 episode limited series. Many critics pointed out that this wasn’t the kind of concept destined for an extended multi-season run, and that’s right. But in order to get Season 1 made Amazon wanted to know that future seasons might be possible. Cris Cole and I said we thought there could be but we should have that conversation on if and how after the season was over. We had that conversation on Thursday with Roy Price and company. Cris and I laid out a story for Season 2 we believed in. Ultimately, Amazon didn’t want to make that story and we didn’t want to make the kind of story they wanted us to make, so… It made more sense to declare victory after ten episodes, which was our original plan all along anyway. Mad Dogs is extremely important to Cris and I and we can’t do the show any other way than to follow Cris’ vision. Ultimately, I think it’s better to leave it there, pure and unsullied, than to do a watered down version of the show. I’m so proud of our 10 eps and how they turned out, despite the many obstacles in our way. Want to acknowledge Ben Chaplin, Michael Imperioli, Romany Malco and Steve Zahn. What talent and chemistry! Want to thank all our writers, directors and especially our ridiculously hard working Puerto Rican crew. Especially want to thank Cris Cole who was a terrific collaborator. He stuck to his vision, morals and beliefs throughout. If you haven’t checked out Mad Dogs yet, I hope you will. It’s the full, complete crazy story we set out to tell over three years ago. Oops. A cat just walked in. Looks like I have to go. See you on the next one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.