TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Helix (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/16/15

Old 01-16-15, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Helix (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/16/15

13 episode 2nd season

Episode 1 "San Jose" Synopsis:

In the second-season premiere, Drs. Peter Farragut and Sarah Jordan are joined by Kyle Sommer when they battle a new deadly virus on a mysterious wooded island.

Steven Weber also joined the cast in a major recurring part. Not that he needs the work. He's been on several current shows over the last year including Chasing Life, NCIS New Orleans, Murder in the First and Dallas.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p9j6su9AJlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I debated whether or not to do episode threads for season 2, but I think it's probably best to make this a 1 season thread. I may have other things going on Friday from time to time and might not have the time to do episode threads for this and 12 Monkeys, hence that's why they're season threads.
Old 01-16-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Helix (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/16/15

I couldn't take season one by about episode nine. There was some reaaaaally bad writing there. But I like the cast the commercials for s2 are intriguing. Someone care to spoil how they got out of the artic?
Old 01-16-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I couldn't take season one by about episode nine. There was some reaaaaally bad writing there. But I like the cast the commercials for s2 are intriguing. Someone care to spoil how they got out of the artic?
You made it further than me, I only lasted through about five episodes before pulling the plug on season one.

I will give Helix the season two premiere to get me interested. I don't expect it to be much better but some shows have been successfully revamped in their second season.
Old 01-16-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
They jumped forward in time 200 days. Jules, Alan's ex wife, turned out to be the daughter of Hataki and a silver eyed immortal. She disappeared from the artic and re-appeared somewhere in France. Alan went looking for her. Sarah, the young scientist with the brain tumor, was pregnant with Alan's baby.

They ended season 1 with Jules conducting a meeting with a bunch of her kind. Very vague open ended finale. Looks like season 2 is a completely new story arc.
Old 01-16-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thrilled that this show is back on the air, as it just clicked with me. Instead of letting it build up on the tivo, I usually watched it shortly after it first aired. I cannot quite articulate why I latched onto this show...but I always felt that there was enough forward momentum in each episode to keep things from becoming too dull. I am guessing that a big reason I enjoyed the show was how the cast interacted with each other. I have become quite the Syfy junkie the past couple of years.
Old 01-16-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This episode will have to really catch me to to keep going. I watched all of season 1, but I agree Starseed...the writing got pretty terrible/ridiculous and it was hard for me to finish the first season..
Old 01-17-15, 11:54 AM

Liked the first ep. I agree last season ended up getting very tired but this was like a breath of fresh air. Although I'm the kind of person who always likes the first act the best, when we see the set up and are introduced to new concepts.
Old 01-17-15, 12:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked it. Felt more polished... and fat blonde died last year, so it has got to be better.
Old 01-17-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, is this a new story? What's the relation with the first season?

I watched the entire first season, but yeah, was tired by the end.
Old 01-17-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed the first episode. Like the new island setting and the threat.

However, the one thing that threw me off was the 30 year time jump. So have 30 years passed since season 1? How come no one has aged? I get why Jules and Sarah haven't. The way the characters were talking earlier in the episode, it sounded like only a year passed since season 1.

That's really the only thing that confused me. I was surprised that Billy Campbell didn't appear until the last 2 minutes.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-25-15 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-17-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

However, the one thing that threw me off was the 30 year time jump. So have 30 years passed since season 1? How come no one has aged? I get why Jules and Jordan haven't. The way the characters were talking earlier in the episode, it sounded like only a year passed since season 1.

That's really the only thing that confused me. I was surprised that Billy Campbell didn't appear until the last 2 minutes.
I was practically lost, they didn't explain the time jump very well at all. It kind of worked out by the end, but I thought it was a fairly ho-hum opener.
Old 01-17-15, 10:55 PM

However, the one thing that threw me off was the 30 year time jump. So have 30 years passed since season 1? How come no one has aged? I get why Jules and Jordan haven't. The way the characters were talking earlier in the episode, it sounded like only a year passed since season 1.

We were seeing two different timelines. Only the Julia storyline took place 30 years later. Remember Jordan, Faragut2 and new guy brought the dead rabbit into the cabin? In Julia's timeline, it was just bones. San Jose guy also took Julia to see Faragut1, whose gravestone was in the ruins of the compound the cult was in.
Old 01-17-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Strafe View Post
We were seeing two different timelines. Only the Julia storyline took place 30 years later. Remember Jordan, Faragut2 and new guy brought the dead rabbit into the cabin? In Julia's timeline, it was just bones. San Jose guy also took Julia to see Faragut1, whose gravestone was in the ruins of the compound the cult was in.
Ok that makes sense. Didn't realize they split the story into 2 timelines. But, with Julia being an immortal it makes sense. I don't think they really made it clear.

So the events with Peter, Jordan and new guy are 1 year after season 1 with Alan still alive.

The events with Julia and San Jose are 30 years later and Alan is dead.

Got it.
Old 01-18-15, 11:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ok that makes sense. Didn't realize they split the story into 2 timelines. But, with Julia being an immortal it makes sense. I don't think they really made it clear.

I think they did a pretty good job of making the timeline difference clear, almost at "club you over the head with it" levels: the big "reveal" was when they made it seem like the the 3 doctors were about to stumble onto the masked man/Julia, but they entered into the same room but it was empty.
- the use of the bottled dead rabbit to show time advance was pretty cool and a nice "ah-ha!" moment to reveal the timeline difference
- plus afterwards they always used text on screen when they fast-forwarded/rewinded between the Day 1 and Day 10951 scenes so that you knew you were either in a Day 1 scene or a Day 10951 scene.
- plus they always showed the topography changes between the two timelines when they fast-forwarded/rewinded between the timeline scenes

Overall, really liking the season 2 set-up so far - the addition of the 30 year parallel timeframe adds a layer of "what in the heck happened" to it all, and interested to see how the two plotlines will ultimately intersect.

I had marathoned season 1 and not sure if that helps with overcoming the problems people had with it - I just find this show to be pulpy alt-science fun that always has some big "dun-dun-DUN" reveal at the end of each ep. I did like the claustrophobia of arctic base in the first season, and now the wild untamed island setting in second season.
Old 01-18-15, 02:17 PM

So we know Julia survives the season and Alan doesn't survive Season 30
Old 01-18-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ongoing dual time narratives is a storytelling technique most recently exploited by Lost, though that show did it masterfully.
Old 01-18-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by greydt View Post
I think they did a pretty good job of making the timeline difference clear, almost at "club you over the head with it" ...

- plus afterwards they always used text on screen when they fast-forwarded/rewinded between the Day 1 and Day 10951 scenes so that you knew you were either in a Day 1 scene or a Day 10951 scene.
They even added "30 years later" so you didn't have to do the math!

The first time they did the fast forward/rewind thing I couldn't figure out what the heck it was supposed to be. Then next time I got it.

The mere fact of choosing a narrative device to convey the passage of time is meritorious in my book. (Cough, Walking Dead, Cough)
Old 01-18-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy View Post
So we know Julia survives the season and Alan doesn't survive Season 30
I thought that was Peter's (the brother's) grave, not Alan's.

Edited correction: It was Alan.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-18-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Liked episode 2 a lot more than the premiere. Thought everything flowed a lot better and the storyline became a little more clear. Seems like Billy Campbell is relegated to more of a supporting role thus far.

That was an interesting reveal about Sarah still being pregnant for over 15 months with her immortality.

**Unrelated, I read a blurb about Jordan Hayes who plays Sarah. She's a Canadian actress from Montreal and apparently moved to Los Angeles for work before Helix hired her. Once she got hired, she had to move back to Montreal because Helix shoots there.

I'm curious about the 2nd timeline with Julia. If Alan isn't dead and didn't all of the sudden turn immortal, he would probably be in his late 70's and 80's (if he's still alive)

The narrative is interesting.
Old 02-01-15, 01:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No love for episode 3?

Starts off with an extended conversation during a handy, and ends with the creepy Julia/Hiroshi family reunion. Looooove this show
Old 02-01-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was some odd stuff going on in episode three. At first I didn't realize what was going on in the hospital bed.
Old 02-03-15, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by greydt View Post
No love for episode 3?

Starts off with an extended conversation during a handy, and ends with the creepy Julia/Hiroshi family reunion. Looooove this show
Yeah, we punted this show after the stoning. Interesting seeing Hiroshi, not-interesting - his visions, the plastic glove incident and most all else...
Old 02-04-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still reserving judgment ...
Old 02-04-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is one of the cult members an immortal?
Old 02-07-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show! So completely off the rails, but hard to look away. Tha Andy Griffith bit made me laugh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.