Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Freak Show (S4E12) -- "Show Stoppers" -- 1/14/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
American Horror Story: Freak Show (S4E12) -- "Show Stoppers" -- 1/14/15

Chapter 12 / Production #412 - "Show Stoppers" (Airs January 14, 10:00pm e/p) - Dandy gives the Twins troubling information about Chester. Maggie vows to prove her loyalty to Jimmy. The Freaks enforce their harsh code of justice. Written by Jessica Sharzer; directed by Loni Peristere.

Episode 12 of 13
Old 01-15-15, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Horror Story: Freak Show (S4E12) -- "Show Stoppers" -- 1/14/15

yaaawwn. I have no idea why I'm still sticking to this. It's really ending on a wet fart. They really took all the worse things about Coven and just dumped them into this season.
Old 01-15-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they even bother to map out this season's plot before they started shooting? This season has been all over the place, random characters introduced and killed off. Seems like no direction, or overarching storyline which should be a must for a self-contained season.

That said, this episode had a few cool moments like the lady being sawed in half (that magic trick always makes you think what if that really happened.) Most of the time I just watch this show now and yan and not care what ends up happening.
Old 01-15-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really liked these last few episodes. I did like that the freaks got revenge on Stanley. I was annoyed with Desiree being happy over Maggie's death. Yes, Maggie was no saint, but the freaks aren't any better and Maggie was the main reason they found out the truth about Ma Petite.

I was surprised there was another connection made to another Asylum character in the Massimo's flashback.
Old 01-15-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I've only watched this season and "Coven."

Did "Murder House" and "Asylum" both have these plot vomit storylines, where it's like a mash-up of several different storylines crammed into a short season?

So much of "Coven" felt like it should have been a longer, multi-season series instead of a single storyline (The Coven and their "Seven Wonders" to select a new leader, the witch hunters, the Voodoo stuff, yadda yadda yadda) and this season feels the same, though it doesn't quite have the frentic, million things going on at once thing "Coven" did. But this season we have the drama at the Freakshow, Twisty the Clown, Dandy the serial killer, the freak hunters, and an unhinged ventriloquist magician. These mesh a little better than all of the stuff going down at once during "Coven" but it's still sort of overwhelming and there isn't a lot of time to breathe.
Old 01-15-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ For me, I'm ONLY watching this season because S1 was so fantastic... S2 was a bit misguided but still very good. S3 and S4 suck.
Old 01-15-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've only watched this season and "Coven."

Did "Murder House" and "Asylum" both have these plot vomit storylines, where it's like a mash-up of several different storylines crammed into a short season?

So much of "Coven" felt like it should have been a longer, multi-season series instead of a single storyline (The Coven and their "Seven Wonders" to select a new leader, the witch hunters, the Voodoo stuff, yadda yadda yadda) and this season feels the same, though it doesn't quite have the frentic, million things going on at once thing "Coven" did. But this season we have the drama at the Freakshow, Twisty the Clown, Dandy the serial killer, the freak hunters, and an unhinged ventriloquist magician. These mesh a little better than all of the stuff going down at once during "Coven" but it's still sort of overwhelming and there isn't a lot of time to breathe.
Season 1 is quite focused. Season 2 starts with the "way too much going on" but actually runs out of plotlines by the end of the 10th episode (which should have been the season finale), they spend the next 3 episodes overly slowly closing everything out. Asylum was a little difficult to get into initially, but once I did, I think it's the best overall season of the series. Season 2 had one utterly unnecessary aspect though that bogged it down
Spoiler:
aliens
Old 01-16-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish NPH had been on the show the whole time. He's just killing it in the role. I would've liked to have seen more.

I also enjoyed the Freaks angle & having Danny Huston back.
Old 01-18-15, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Like this season of AHS, and feel last week's episode was probably the best yet.

I'm a fan of Todd Browning's classic film Freaks (1932), and liked the obvious homage to that in "Show Stoppers", i.e.

Spoiler:
making Stanley a "freak" because of what he had done to them...just like what happened to the evil woman in the Freaks film...

However, as much as I like this season, it's definitely my least favorite season of AHS. My main issue with Freak Show is that there's no supernatural element to the show, which is something that IMHO is very important when it comes to horror films; the only thing that came close was when that supposed real-life character who had the face in the back of his head came to the Freak Show in ghostly form - however, it wasn't clear if this was a dream by the sideshow performers, or if it actually happened..

Conversely, the first three seasons of AHS were archetypal horror stories:

First season: Haunted house; Ghosts

Second season: Mental institution; Mad scientist; Angel of Death; Serial k.

Third season: A school for witches w/supernatural powers; a Frankenstein-type creature; undead ageless demon/ghost
Old 01-18-15, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

A homage would be better if it wasn't name dropped as you are slowly going through it. It really lost a lot of meaning to me when it was done in such a fashion. To add to that, they really just jammed in and didn't transition into how the freaks just did a hard left in wanting to kill Elsa so shortly after being all one-of-us as they turned stanley into a freak.
Old 01-18-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Did they even bother to map out this season's plot before they started shooting? This season has been all over the place, random characters introduced and killed off. Seems like no direction, or overarching storyline which should be a must for a self-contained season.

That said, this episode had a few cool moments like the lady being sawed in half (that magic trick always makes you think what if that really happened.) Most of the time I just watch this show now and yan and not care what ends up happening.
I quit watching this season halfway through but I have seen the first three seasons. I always got the impression Murphy plotted out the first six or seven episodes before each season began. After that each season always felt like the writers were making things up as the season went along with no concrete plan. It's even noticeable in the first season which everyone thinks of as AHS's best.
Old 01-18-15, 02:40 PM

I will admit. I stopped watching. There is no interest on my part and if it comes back for a new season, I am not too sure I will even try.