Netflix is Losing Doctor Who, Nearly All Of Our Favorite BBC Shows

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

And I just got Netflix, dammit!

According to Bad Robot, come January 31st Doctor Who, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, and other popular BBC series will be riding a pitch black steed off of Netflix. And here I thought we were going to go a whole day without a sad Tennant in the rain gif:

Other BBC shows leaving the service include A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Coupling, Torchwood, Red Dwarf, Primeval, and Survivors, but there’s no need for total despair: it’s likely that these fan favorites might return after Netflix re-negotiates its contract with the BBC, and many of the shows will also be available on Amazon Prime in the meantime. If you really can’t abide a Doctor Who-less Netflix, you can also sign a fan petition to keep the show available for streaming.

Will you be attempting to binge-watch any of these shows before they exit Netflix left? Are there any particular episodes or series fans should check out if they’re short on time? Let us know in the comments below! We’ll all get through this together.

[Update—10:55AM ET 1/13/15] Maybe possibly good news? One Netflix-devoted website thinks this whole Doctor-Who-expiring-thing is just a power play and the contract with BBC will be renewed shortly. Check out more in our post on the story here.
Old 01-14-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Netflix is Losing Doctor Who, Nearly All Of Our Favorite BBC Shows

The quote includes an update saying it's a power play, so it should be all good.
Old 01-18-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Yes and no. Most of the shows are staying but some will be gone by February 1st.

Netflix Renews Deal for ‘Doctor Who,’ ‘Luther,’ More BBC Series

Fans of British television can rest easy. Following numerous reports that Netflix and the BBC were parting ways, the streaming service has clarified that many of its most popular Brit series are staying put.

In response to headlines that beloved series “Doctor Who,” “Luther,” the original “The Office” and more were going to be dropped from the service at the end of the month, a Netflix spokeswoman tells Variety that such reports were false.

Among the shows that will still be available on Netflix are classic and current “Doctor Who” series, “Luther,” “Top Gear” seasons 17 through 20, “Torchwood,” “Wallander,” “Keeping Up Appearances,” and the original “Office” and “House of Cards” series.

The deal in question did not involve series including “Sherlock,” “Happy Valley,” “The Honorable Woman,” “Call the Midwife” or other series not up for renewal. These series will remain on Netflix.

Here’s a list of BBC series staying on Netflix’s service:

Classic “Doctor Who”

“Doctor Who” seasons 1 through 7

“Copper” seasons 1 and 2

“House of Cards” trilogy

“Keeping Up Appearances” season 1

“Luther” seasons 1 through 3

“Monarch of the Glen” seasons 1 through 6

“North & South”

“Robin Hood” seasons 1 through 3

“The Buccaneers”

“The Office” U.K. seasons 1 and 2

“Top Gear” seasons 17 though 20

“Torchwood” seasons 1 through 4

“Wallander” seasons 1 through 3

Fans should plan to enjoy “Fawlty Towers,” “Blackadder,” “MI-5″ and “Red Dwarf” before Feb. 1 when they will no longer be available.
Old 01-20-15, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Fans should plan to enjoy “Fawlty Towers,” “Blackadder,” “MI-5″ and “Red Dwarf” before Feb. 1 when they will no longer be available.
My beloved Blackadder... Shame of Neflix!
Old 01-21-15, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oncease
My beloved Blackadder... Shame of Neflix!
Does this show get better? Because the first few eps. of S1 were not really that great. I heard it was like Monty Python, but it's just plain old sitcom humor so far. Should I jump head to other seasons before it's pulled from Netflix?
Old 01-21-15, 05:17 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Does this show get better? Because the first few eps. of S1 were not really that great. I heard it was like Monty Python, but it's just plain old sitcom humor so far. Should I jump head to other seasons before it's pulled from Netflix?
I never liked Season 1 of Blackadder. Season 3 was my favorite, maybe because it was the first one I watched. But Seasons 2 & 4 were also hilarious. Each season is completely different. So you can dump Season 1 and try the others.