Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Man Seeking Woman (FXX) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 1/14/15 - S: Jay Baruchel

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-14-15, 07:56 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

FXX's newest comedy series, Man Seeking Woman, will air on FXX on Wednesdays at 10:30 PM e/p, starting January 14. A sweet and surreal look at the life-and-death stakes of dating, Man Seeking Woman follows naïve twenty-something "Josh Greenberg" (Jay Baruchel, How to Train Your Dragon) on his unrelenting quest for love. Josh soldiers through one-night stands, painful break-ups, a blind date with a troll, time travel, sex aliens, many deaths and a Japanese penis monster named Tanaka on his fantastical journey to find love. Starring alongside Baruchel are Eric Andre (The Eric Andre Show) as "Mike," Josh's confident and daring best friend; Britt Lower (Unforgettable) as "Liz," Josh's intimidating older sister; and Maya Erskine (Betas) as "Maggie," the ex-girlfriend Josh can never quite forget. Man Seeking Woman is based on Simon Rich's book of short stories, The Last Girlfriend on Earth. Rich created the 10-episode scripted comedy and also serves as Executive Producer/Showrunner. Jonathan Krisel, Andrew Singer and Lorne Michaels, and Broadway Video also serve as Executive Producers. Man Seeking Woman is produced by FX Productions.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Britt Lower as Liz
· Eric André as Mike
· Jay Baruchel as Josh Greenberg
· Maya Erskine as Maggie

CREW INFORMATION:
· Andrew Singer as EP
· Jonathan Krisel as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Lorne Michaels as EP
· Simon Rich as CRTR/EP/BOOK
Read more: Listings - MAN SEEKING WOMAN on FXX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3OnezJGat

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GTTzk69hFQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10 episode first season
Old 01-14-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Man Seeking Woman (FXX) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 1/14/15 - S: Jay Baruchel

Anyone know if this will be on Hulu?
Old 01-14-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Man Seeking Woman (FXX) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 1/14/15 - S: Jay Baruchel

The reviews are really strong. I'll be checking it out for sure. As for Hulu, I'm not sure current FXX shows are typically represented there.
Old 01-14-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The trailers for this looked interesting; I think i'll give it a record and watch tonight hoping that it's as good as You're The Worst.
Old 01-14-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interesting. Some funny parts. If it finds its feet, it could be good. I'll keep watching, at least for now.
Old 01-15-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The pilot on its own was funny. My problem with these type of high-concept comedies is that they become almost impossible to pull off over a season. I can promise you they polished this pilot over and over again until the final product. They won't be able to do that with later episodes.

Does anyone else get a young Woody Allen vibe from Jay Baruchel? Everything I see him in it appears he's playing how Woody Allen would act today if he was under 30.
Old 01-15-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought it was just ok; I found more humor in Baruchel's deadpan responses then the actual major gags, like the troll or Hitler, but did find all the congrats from getting a girl's number pretty funny at the end. If I could stick through all of Married, I can keep watching this
Old 01-15-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I was just in the wrong mood but this was a total miss for me. I didn't find any of he surreal situations to be funny at all, and it just seemed to be super weird for the sake of being weird.
Old 01-15-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was truly bizarre. If this is a typical episode, I'll be out soon.
Old 01-15-15, 07:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Maybe I was just in the wrong mood but this was a total miss for me. I didn't find any of he surreal situations to be funny at all, and it just seemed to be super weird for the sake of being weird.
agree wholeheartedly.
Old 01-15-15, 08:14 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This was pretty absurd. I don't really get the point of it. I like Baruchel... so I'll stick it out for a few episodes.
Old 01-15-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So only having seen a few of the promos for it I had no idea of the surreal nature of the show going in. I just knew it was a show with Baruchel and dating. Ok thousands of shows similarly themed but let's see how this show's spin is on the subject.

So while watching the episode upon first seeing the troll I think ok, maybe they have these live action cut ins or what have you into Baruchel's subconscious, but they'll cut back to reality shortly. But when it became apparent that the troll was in fact going to be in the scene much longer and everyone was going to act like it was normal and what not, I seriously was thinking this show won't last much longer for me. A little too much. But I was at least going to give it the whole episode.

About halfway through though I kind of got what they're going for. I think it's a new way to take on these TV tropes about dating, relationships and everything around them. The thinking in my opinion is hey let's take these things and situations we hyperbolically describe and turn the hyperbole into literal situations. So you get set up on a blind date and you're worried about what they look like. TV trope is that you're not attracted to them, and you might say to a friend, "man she was ugly as a troll." Ok, what if it really were a troll.

Your ex has a new BF, probably a decent guy that most people like, but to you, fuck him, you don't care that everyone else likes him, to you he's Hitler. Ok, what if it really was Hitler.

And so on... I read an article on Vulture I believe that described more of the surreal situations in later episodes and they all follow this concept and I'm interested to see them unfold.

Once the concept hit me I enjoyed the show much better and was able to be open about the angle they are taking about telling these situations we're used to seeing being told to us time after time on TV.

I still don't think everyone will get it or like it, which is totally fine. But I'll say to me it's at least a new and fresh take and I'll be interested to see how long I'll continue to think that.

Edit: In case anyone is interested here is the link to the Vulture article I referenced.

Warning it does contain very minor spoilers of a few situations forthcoming in the show, but probably more egregiously there's unnecessary and tired comments about race.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 01-15-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
So while watching the episode upon first seeing the troll I think ok, maybe they have these live action cut ins or what have you into Baruchel's subconscious, but they'll cut back to reality shortly. But when it became apparent that the troll was in fact going to be in the scene much longer and everyone was going to act like it was normal and what not, I seriously was thinking this show won't last much longer for me. A little too much. But I was at least going to give it the whole episode.

About halfway through though I kind of got what they're going for. I think it's a new way to take on these TV tropes about dating, relationships and everything around them. The thinking in my opinion is hey let's take these things and situations we hyperbolically describe and turn the hyperbole into literal situations. So you get set up on a blind date and you're worried about what they look like. TV trope is that you're not attracted to them, and you might say to a friend, "man she was ugly as a troll." Ok, what if it really were a troll.

Your ex has a new BF, probably a decent guy that most people like, but to you, fuck him, you don't care that everyone else likes him, to you he's Hitler. Ok, what if it really was Hitler.

I think you hit the nail on the head about what they were going for.
Old 01-16-15, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That's exactly what they were going for, it's sort of what's going on in his head, and a lot of that is very literal. It is almost a natural replacement for Wilfred, but isn't nearly as funny, not yet at least.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-16-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted to like this but it just didn't work for me. The biggest sin of all is it didn't make me laugh. Premise had promise but the execution isn't working in live action for me.
Old 01-17-15, 01:53 AM

Very interesting new show and I really liked it. Great explanation by rocketsauce too.

I thought the troll scene was going to be like a Shallow Hal moment, but that wouldn't have made sense since he didn't really know her yet.
Old 01-17-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A little bit like Birdman, wonder if Jay's character was mentally dain-bramaged or something...
Old 01-19-15, 03:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ready to check out after the troll scene, but the party cracked me up.

I'll stick with it for now.
Old 01-19-15, 04:24 PM

The party scene was really funny. So was the celebration after getting her number.
Old 01-19-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the Troll scene is a bit of a "WTF?" moment, but honestly it's the easiest way to introduce the way the show works since a troll is the most obvious thing.
Old 01-22-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed the second episode a lot more then first; I imagine a lot of that is knowing what to expect going on. I didn't care much about the priest stuff, but the entire war room sequence about what to text back was pretty funny.
Old 01-23-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got half way through the first episode, has potential but the extremity of the troll just didn't do it for me
Old 01-23-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the second episode was a big step up from the first as well. I liked how on board everybody in the war room was with sending her a dick pic.
Old 01-23-15, 11:35 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I bailed after 5 minutes. Hated the direction it was going. I love surreal humor in things like Better Off Dead, but this just beat me over the head with it in a way that made me cringe instead of laugh.
Old 01-23-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The surreal comedy does feel like an early Woody Allen film. I thought the first half of the second episode was pretty funny, especially the spoof of an exorcism.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.