DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and Jack McBrayer new Adult Swim Series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624583-triumph-insult-comic-dog-jack-mcbrayer-new-adult-swim-series.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 01-13-15 06:00 PM

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and Jack McBrayer new Adult Swim Series

Set your dvrs

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is getting his own sitcom, and he'll have former "30 Rock" actor Jack McBrayer to "poop on" on a regular basis.

Adult Swim said Saturday it will air "The Jack and Triumph Show" starting Feb. 20. McBrayer plays a grown-up child star of a "Lassie" type show with Triumph, the puppet created by former Conan O'Brien writer Robert Smigel, as his washed-up canine companion.

Smigel hides behind chairs and other furniture on the sitcom set to "play" Triumph, the Don Rickles-type puppet that first emerged on O'Brien's late-night NBC show in 1997.

McBrayer, who played the cheerful, innocent intern on "30 Rock," once appeared on an O'Brien segment being insulted by Triumph and it turned out to be one of the puppet's most successful segments, Smigel said.

Smigel said he's tried to keep Triumph fresh as a character by not overusing him through the years, making the sitcom possible. He said several networks expressed interest in the idea, but the Turner-owned Adult Swim committed to 20 episodes without a pilot.

http://seattletimes.com/html/enterta...insultdog.html

http://cdn.splitsider.com/wp-content...er_triumph.jpg

Deftones 01-13-15 06:12 PM

Re: Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and Jack McBrayer new Adult Swim Series

Wow. Awesome. Love this idea. :up:

Bill Needle 01-13-15 06:40 PM

Hopefully this will have a TV Funhouse vibe to it.

PhantomStranger 01-14-15 02:03 PM

TV Funhouse was hilarious, check it out on DVD. I have always wondered why we didn't get more of Triumph over the years.

Giantrobo 01-14-15 02:32 PM

I loved it when they were on Conan when he was in Chicago. They did a bit at that crazy food stand where people yell at you. :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/33zPlnhymCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike86 01-14-15 06:39 PM

I have mixed feelings on this. I like Triumph and Jack McBrayer a lot, but I could sort of see the Triumph character getting old if overused to be honest. It sounds different from the usual Triumph skits that air on Conan but I dunno. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

SPiRAL 01-15-15 12:41 AM

Can't wait for the show.
McBrayer's tan looks horrible in that pic. Did he take the Soulman pills ?

Rypro 525 01-15-15 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12363622)
I have always wondered why we didn't get more of Triumph over the years.

I thought there was a rights issue when Conan moved to TBS over what bits he could and couldn't use, & Triumph was one of them he couldn't.

Giantrobo 01-15-15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12364405)
I thought there was a rights issue when Conan moved to TBS over what bits he could and couldn't use, & Triumph was one of them he couldn't.

Triumph has been on Conan's TBS as seen in the link above. Maybe that changed.

RichC2 01-15-15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12364022)
I have mixed feelings on this. I like Triumph and Jack McBrayer a lot, but I could sort of see the Triumph character getting old if overused to be honest. It sounds different from the usual Triumph skits that air on Conan but I dunno. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

A lot of AS shows run for 11 minutes, that is the perfect allocated time slot for something like this imho.

Obi-Wan Jabroni 01-15-15 03:06 PM

Almost everything that airs on Cartoon Network all day long is broken up into 11-12 minute episodes.

Deftones 01-15-15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12363622)
I have always wondered why we didn't get more of Triumph over the years.

Well, several reasons. Smigel has said he doesn't want to overuse the character. The second was, once Conan moved to LA, it was difficult to get Triumph on the show because Smigel lived and worked in New York. If you see many of the recent times he has been on the show, they were things done in and around NYC.

PhantomStranger 01-15-15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12364405)

I think Triumph was one of the few things NBC didn't own from the original Conan run. That seems to have been a contracted property from Smigel.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-15-15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL (Post 12364363)
Can't wait for the show.
McBrayer's tan looks horrible in that pic. Did he take the Soulman pills ?

Maybe he was spending too much time in Hawaii in "The Getaway" episode for the Esquire Network.

robin2099 01-15-15 06:29 PM

If memory serves me correctly, NBC tried to say that Conan couldn't do a lot of the characters from late night because they were IP's of NBC. But after the Tonight Show debacle they eased up a little bit to avoid even more bad press for NBC and Leno.

Mike86 01-15-15 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12365028)
A lot of AS shows run for 11 minutes, that is the perfect allocated time slot for something like this imho.

Yeah I watch Adult Swim often so I'm aware that most of their shows are shorter. I just still think it could get old if it goes on too long. I'll check it out though.

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 12365341)
If memory serves me correctly, NBC tried to say that Conan couldn't do a lot of the characters from late night because they were IP's of NBC. But after the Tonight Show debacle they eased up a little bit to avoid even more bad press for NBC and Leno.

I think NBC has somewhat eased up since Conan's departure. After all its rather pointless since I don't think they've used any of the bits from Conan's shows since he left anyways so there'd be no reason other than spite to not let him use stuff that he created or was created for his shows. Still some bits such as Pierre Bernards's Recliner of Rage, Pale Force, and The Walker Texas Ranger Lever (he used it during his Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television tour so I assume he could still use it, unless it was different using it live compared with being on television) haven't made it to the TBS show. Even The Masturbating Bear rarely shows up.

Deftones 02-19-15 11:27 PM

Bump up. This premieres tomorrow. It is a half hour show.

PhantomStranger 02-20-15 01:09 AM

Hopefully it becomes a hit. Triumph appeared on The Tonight Show plugging this new series. He was in fine form.

grip 02-20-15 01:52 PM

FINALLLY! A rrrrrroll which REQUIRES you to suck....

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yW8S9brRUrk/hqdefault.jpg

PhantomStranger 02-21-15 01:54 PM

Triumph to Brent Spiner (Data on Star Trek): In a parallel universe, you still have a career.

That one had me on the floor.:lol::lol:

This pilot was okay, the hokey family sitcom spoof didn't really work for me. The bizarre D-list celebrity cameos were a little odd.

Troy Stiffler 02-21-15 02:34 PM

First episode: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-...ph-comes-home/

Bill Needle 02-21-15 03:36 PM

Not sure what I was expecting but I enjoyed it. Plus I caught the promo for Dr. Steve Brule's "Bag Boy" and watched that bit of awesomeness as a result.

Deftones 02-22-15 03:56 PM

wow. this was weird but funny. the cheesy sitcom thing with the laugh track was odd, but the other stuff was fantastic, like the autograph convention.

Groucho 02-22-15 04:00 PM

I would rather just have 15 minutes of the "on the street" bits and drop the sitcom filler.

Guru Askew 02-22-15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 12365341)

I noticed this was an NBC/Universal co-production so apparently they still own the rights.