DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hannibal (NBC) -- Season 3 News, Castings etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624578-hannibal-nbc-season-3-news-castings-etc.html)

DJariya 01-13-15 03:49 PM

Hannibal (NBC) -- Season 3 News, Castings etc.

http://tvline.com/2015/01/13/hanniba...age-dolarhyde/

Richard Armitage has found a role into which he can really sink his teeth.
The Hobbit actor will join NBC’s Hannibal in Season 3 in the terrifying role of Francis Dolarhyde (aka The Tooth Fairy).
The main villian of Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon, one book in the series on which Hannibal is based, the hulking Dolarhyde is a serial killer with a set of chompers that would make the Big Bad Wolf a little envious — and a penchant for targeting entire households for slaughter.

Armitage’s gig is slated to last six episodes.

:thumbsup: That is dope casting there. Like Armitage.

Previous notes:

Gillian Anderson is now a series regular

http://tvline.com/2014/09/11/gillian...ular-season-3/

Michael Pitt will not be returning. The character is now recast with Joe Anderson as Mason Verger.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/19/hanniba...-recast-mason/

and Lawrence Fishburne will reportedly not return as a series regular.

No airdate for season 3 yet. But supposedly it will return around April or May, so expect Hannibal to air going into the summer like in season 1.

dex14 01-13-15 04:30 PM

Re: Hannibal (NBC) -- Season 3 News, Castings etc.

So, it seems they are moving up the originally planned timeline a bit then?

Deftones 01-13-15 06:10 PM

Oh, I didn't see there was a thread for season 3. i bumped the finale thread from last year. Awesome casting. :up:

Flatlander 01-13-15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12362680)
So, it seems they are moving up the originally planned timeline a bit then?

This is what I read on IGN:

While Season 3 isn't meant to play out as the the Hannibal TV series' "Red Dragon" season (that would be Season 4, if all goes according to creator Bryan Fuller's plan), Dolarhyde will be introduced in person this year. I write "in person," because Fuller has already stated (on Twitter) that the home invasion Marlowe murders that Will Graham was using as a teaching tool in the pilot episode were actually committed by Dolarhyde. So Dolarhyde coming in allows the show to circle back to that, for those wondering if that loose thread would ever get snipped.

Last summer, at the San Diego Comic Con, Fuller mentioned that Dolarhyde was coming in Season 3, and that he'd debut in Episode 8.

Strafe 01-13-15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12362603)
Michael Pitt will not be returning. The character is now recast with Joe Anderson as Mason Verger.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/19/hanniba...-recast-mason/

and Lawrence Fishburne will reportedly not return as a series regular.

Well that sucks! I recall enjoying Pitt's performance. And, hopefully Fishburne will return once a certain storyline appears.

hdnmickey 01-13-15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Strafe (Post 12362938)
Well that sucks! I recall enjoying Pitt's performance. And, hopefully Fishburne will return once a certain storyline appears.

Agreed on both accounts. I guess they can pull this off with Verger since Pitt would be really playing somebody else at this point anyway. Pre event Verger is vastly different than post even Verger.

Richard Armitage is an interesting choice. So short ;) Should be interesting to see how much different they go with his version of the Tooth Fairy given the other two on screen performances of the same character. They certainly have went radically different ways on that front before.

mwbmis 01-13-15 11:21 PM

I initially liked the Pitt casting as Verger, but I just didn't like the direction they took the character. Verger was obviously insane, but I thought they would play him as charming in public. Instead, they made him a loon all the time. He's a disfigured mess now so the casting change is not a big deal to me.

I wonder if Margo will start pumping iron in season 3.

Ringmaster 01-14-15 10:50 AM

I can't wait for this. Anyone know when the show starts again?

hdnmickey 01-14-15 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12363108)
I initially liked the Pitt casting as Verger, but I just didn't like the direction they took the character. Verger was obviously insane, but I thought they would play him as charming in public.

Maybe it's been too long since it aried, but I seem to remember some scenes where they had Verger with others and he was as charming as Hannibal. It was only when Verger was with those that already knew him where he was his true self.

mwbmis 01-14-15 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12363462)
Maybe it's been too long since it aried, but I seem to remember some scenes where they had Verger with others and he was as charming as Hannibal. It was only when Verger was with those that already knew him where he was his true self.

As a friend of mine put it, when he was hanging out with those kids on the tour he looked like a sex offender.

dex14 01-14-15 07:37 PM

The dog days are over for Hannibal‘s Will Graham — or at least the days of spending his free time surrounded solely by canines.

TVLine has learned exclusively that NBC’s acclaimed thriller is casting for the recurring role of Will’s wife Molly, a strong, vibrant thirtysomething who is not only unperturbed by her husband’s dark and occasionally tortured past — but has worked to help him overcome it.

Molly, who also happens to have a 12-year-old son named Walter, “understands that Will is a good man, and her love has allowed him to rebuild himself. But when Will is asked to return to the FBI, she also urges him to try and save lives, knowing what risks this entails.”

Fret not, though, Hugh Dancy’s addled profiler — last seen being literally gutted by Mads Mikkelsen’s titular sociopath — won’t be putting up an OK Cupid profile to kick off Season 3.

Molly — a role that is slated to span four episodes — won’t be introduced ’til Episode 8… an installment that will leap enough years into the future to allow for the transformation in Will’s personal life.

TVLine broke the news earlier this week that Season 3 will also introduce the murderous character of Francis Dolarhyde — to be played by The Hobbit‘s Richard Armitage — known to fans of Thomas Harris’ novels as The Tooth Fairy.
http://tvline.com/2015/01/14/hanniba...l-graham-wife/

Supermallet 01-14-15 07:50 PM

Interesting that Fishburne won't be a regular. I wonder if that means this season focuses more on Will Graham personally. Perhaps he continues the search for Hannibal after last season's finale, without the help of the FBI. That would especially make sense if season four covers the events of Red Dragon.

dex14 01-14-15 07:59 PM

Last I heard Fuller said the second half of season 3 will cover Red Dragon.

Josh-da-man 01-14-15 09:02 PM

If there's a time jump in episode eight, I wonder if that means Hannibal will be captured in episode seven or thereabouts, and they'll then adapt Red Dragon in the five remaining episodes.

And if Fishburne isn't going to be a regular, it might mean that Will Graham will take over the mentor role for Clarice Starling when they get to Silence of the Lambs. Will isn't featured in any novels after Red Dragon, and I can't imagine they won't want to keep Hugh Dancy around.

majorjoe23 01-14-15 09:48 PM

I think it's still up in the air if they'll be able to get the rights to Silence. MGM has the rights to the characters that originate in that book.

Josh-da-man 01-15-15 05:27 AM

http://www.indiewire.com/article/han...ollow-20140724

Sounds like they still don't have the rights to SOTL, but they're trying to get them, and if they can't they're going to do their own version of the story. When Miriam Lass was introduced, she seemed very Clarice-like. Maybe since they've given her a history with Hannibal, it would make the turn of events from the novel Hannibal with Clarice more believable.

From what I understand, the hold up for SOTL is that Lifetime has an option to make a Clarice Starling television series. The various producers only have the rights to certain characters from the novels. Hannibal has the rights to any characters that originated in Red Dragon, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising, while Lifetime has Silence of the Lambs (meaning they have exclusive rights to use Clarice Starling, Paul Krendler, and Jame Gumb but NOT Jack Crawford, Frederick Chilton, or Hannibal Lecter) while Hannibal has everyone but Starling, Krendler, and Gumb.

I'm not sure how closely any repurposing of SOTL could get to the plot of that novel. I know that the original script to SOTL, before MGM got the rights to the characters from DEG, was a direct adaption of the novel, but had to change the names of Lecter, Crawford, and Chilton.

CharlieK 01-16-15 12:33 PM

Well, shiiiiiiit....

"At the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, I asked NBC's Robert Greenblatt about Hannibal and he replied, " I thought we had said this publicly, maybe we hadn't... Hannibal's going to be back in the summer. It's a show we love. It's been critically acclaimed by a few of you in the room, if not many. We love it. We also love summer."

ign.com

starseed1981 01-16-15 12:34 PM

Dammit

DJariya 01-16-15 12:38 PM

I'm fine with it airing in the summer. There really isn't a great timeslot to put it in right now and it would get buried with the other competition. And I don't think NBC wants to bury it on Fridays again.

CharlieK 01-16-15 12:52 PM

Very good points, but ya see, I want my Hannibal now.

dex14 01-16-15 01:01 PM

Whatevs. Summer sounds better to me. Less on TV.

Deftones 01-16-15 02:12 PM

summer sucks, but is great because there is a such good quantity of programming then, it will stand out.

DJariya 01-22-15 12:13 PM

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/22/ha...son-3-trailer/

1st trailer for season 3. No embed link, so you have to see it on EW.com

sleepyhead55 01-23-15 03:53 AM

Here's the Hannibal Season 3 trailer from Youtube.

I'm excited for this to premiere during the summer. It looks like it'll be great watching Will hunt for Hannibal in Europe.

jackwalker 01-23-15 05:32 AM

the producers are more concern about the story script by writer.