Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Crisis In Six Scenes (Amazon) -- c: Woody Allen -- 9/30/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-13-15, 09:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Amazon Studios has signed Woody Allen to write and direct his first television series.

The “Untitled Woody Allen Project,” a half-hour series, has received a full season order from Amazon, with episodes to be written and directed by Allen. The series will be available exclusively on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

“Woody Allen is a visionary creator who has made some of the greatest films of all-time, and it’s an honor to be working with him on his first television series,” said Roy Price, vice president of Amazon Studios. “From ‘Annie Hall’ to ‘Blue Jasmine,’ Woody has been at the creative forefront of American cinema and we couldn’t be more excited to premiere his first TV series exclusively on Prime Instant Video next year.”

Added Allen, “I don’t know how I got into this. I have no ideas and I’m not sure where to begin. My guess is that Roy Price will regret this.”
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/wood...on-1201403742/
Old 01-13-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
re: Crisis In Six Scenes (Amazon) -- c: Woody Allen -- 9/30/16

Wow
Old 01-13-15, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, wow. I can see Allen's style working quite well on the small screen if done right. Also, I assume this'll affect his movie output -- which has been pretty consistent (and frequent) since the 70s.
Old 01-13-15, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it.
Old 01-13-15, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Yeah, wow. I can see Allen's style working quite well on the small screen if done right. Also, I assume this'll affect his movie output -- which has been pretty consistent (and frequent) since the 70s.
Hmmm... That's a good point. In a perfect world he'll be able to adjust his schedule to do this and a film. If the order for the show is 10 episodes, they can schedule it to shoot like a film. Have all the scripts prepped and ready to go (like how The Knick's production was done), and essentially film a 5 hour movie. He can maybe take 6 months each for the show and movie.
Old 01-13-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very interesting. I'll definitely check it out. His movies play great on the small screen anyway. And his writing style is quick and clever for TV.
Old 01-13-15, 10:48 AM
Banned

"My Stepdaughter, the Car"?
"Stepfather Knows Best"?
"Make Room for StepDaddy"?
Old 01-13-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a Sexually Dysfunctional New Yorker Who Doesn't Understand the Intricate Complexities of Human Relationships and I Like Bergman films and Dostoyevsky Novels?
Old 01-13-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
"My Stepdaughter, the Car"?
"Stepfather Knows Best"?
"Make Room for StepDaddy"?
"How I Met Your Mother, Part II"
Old 01-13-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I really hope he does something out of the box, like a show about an aging Jewish man who is frustrated creatively but finds inspiration when he develops a mentoring relationship with a barely legal but sexual adventurous blonde.
Old 01-13-15, 03:16 PM

Allegedly....
Old 01-13-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I really hope he does something out of the box, like a show about an aging Jewish man who is frustrated creatively but finds inspiration when he develops a mentoring relationship with a barely legal but sexual adventurous blonde.
"That's what I like about these ingenues; I get older, they stay the same age."
Old 01-13-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
"How I Met Your Mother, Part II"
How I Met Your Mother .... And Your Grandmother
Old 05-15-15, 11:34 AM

DEADLINE: How do you reconcile your avoidance of computers and iPads, when you signed on to create a TV series for Amazon’s streaming service?
ALLEN: I don’t even know what a streaming service is; that’s the interesting thing. When you said streaming service, it was the first time I’ve heard that term connected with the Amazon thing. I never knew what Amazon was. I’ve never seen any of those series, even on cable. I’ve never seen The Sopranos, or Mad Men. I’m out every night and when I come home, I watch the end of the baseball or basketball game, and there’s Charlie Rose and I go to sleep. Amazon kept coming to me and saying, please do this, whatever you want. I kept saying I have no ideas for it, that I never watch television. I don’t know the first thing about it. Well, this went on for a year and a half, and they kept making a better deal and a better deal. Finally they said look, we’ll do anything that you want, just give us six half hours. They can be black and white, they can take place in Paris, in New York and California, they can be about a family, they can be comedy, you can be in them, they can be tragic. We don’t have to know anything, just come in with six half hours. And they offered a lot of money and everybody around me was pressuring me, go ahead and do it, what do you have to lose?

DEADLINE: So you said yes…
ALLEN: And I have regretted every second since I said OK. It’s been so hard for me. I had the cocky confidence, well, I’ll do it like I do a movie…it’ll be a movie in six parts. Turns out, it’s not. For me, it has been very, very difficult. I’ve been struggling and struggling and struggling. I only hope that when I finally do it — I have until the end of 2016 — they’re not crushed with disappointment because they’re nice people and I don’t want to disappoint them. I am doing my best. I fit it in between films, so it’s not like, no film this year, I’m doing Amazon. It’s a job within my usual schedule. But I am not as good at it as I fantasized I might be. It’s not a piece of cake; it’s a tough thing and I’m earning every penny that they’re giving me and I just hope that they don’t feel, ‘My God, we gave him a very substantial amount of money and freedom and this is what he gives us?’

DEADLINE: But haven’t you just voiced the anxiety and insecurity that fueled your entire creative career?
ALLEN: I hope it’s just the anxiety again, but this is hard. I’m like a fish out of water. Movies I’ve been doing for decades, and even the stage stuff, I know the stage and have seen a million plays. But this…how to begin something and end it after a half an hour and then come back the next time. It’s not me.

DEADLINE: You really regret that deal?
ALLEN: Oh, it’s amazing how you can regret. I haven’t had a pleasurable moment since I undertook it."
deadline.com/2015/05/woody-allen-cannes-interview-irrational-man-1201427066/
Old 05-15-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many shocking admissions there that I don't know where to begin. I will admit that I'm sold now just out of curiosity to see what he comes up with.
Old 05-15-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

He has that much anxiety, depression, regret, and trepidation over this project?

It'll be genius. Guaranteed.
Old 05-15-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 01-25-16, 05:15 PM

Weird...

EXCLUSIVE: Back at the last Cannes, Woody Allen revealed to Deadline that the deal he made to create a TV series for Amazon was haunting his every step. He’s in a much better place now. In fact, Allen has set the principal cast for the six half-hour-episode series that will take place in the 1960s, and it certainly is unexpected.

Allen, who wrote the scripts and will direct, has set Elaine May and Miley Cyrus to star alongside him. I don’t know a lot more than this, as Allen is shrewd offering information on his projects. It begins shooting in March. He previously worked with May in Small Time Crooks, and this is the first time he has worked with Cyrus.
http://deadline.com/2016/01/woody-al...es-1201690130/
Old 01-25-16, 05:44 PM

I'm becoming convinced that this whole thing is a Nathan for You bit.
Old 03-16-16, 12:04 PM

Woody Allen’s first foray into television has expanded its cast.

Joining previously-announced cast members Miley Cyrus (who was recently photographed on set), Elaine May, Rachel Brosnahan, and John Magaro are The View cohost Joy Behar, comedian Lewis Black, Becky Ann Baker (who plays Hannah’s mom on Girls), Wings actress Rebecca Schull, Margaret Ladd, David Harbour, Christine Ebersole, and Mighty Aphrodite actor Michael Rapaport.

Aside from the project’s cast, little is known about Allen’s debut as a television creator since the six-episode series was announced in January 2015. Last year, Allen expressed doubts about the project during an interview with Deadline.

“I don’t even know what a streaming service is; that’s the interesting thing,” Allen said regarding the series, which will premiere exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. “They offered a lot of money and everybody around me was pressuring me, go ahead and do it, what do you have to lose? And I have regretted every second since I said OK.”

Production on the Untitled Woody Allen Project began in New York earlier this month, with Erika Aronson as executive producer and Helen Robin producing.

Amazon is also set to distribute Allen’s next film, an untitled 1930s romantic comedy, theatrically for three months this summer, followed by an exclusive digital release for Amazon users on Prime Video. The film was shot in 2015 in New York and Los Angeles, and features an ensemble cast that includes Steve Carrell, Kristen Stewart, Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Corey Stoll, and Parker Posey.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/16...-series-amazon

Old 08-08-16, 08:23 AM

Old 08-08-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Crisis In Six Scenes (Amazon) -- c: Woody Allen -- 9/30/16

I'm wondering if Allen was being facetious in his comment about regretting the series, -I really haven't read much beyond the initial announcement.
Old 08-08-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice to see Woody in front of the camera again.
Old 08-08-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh i think Woody was being sarcastic with his early comments.

Really glad he's in front again.
Old 08-08-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been done. It was called
Spoiler:
Seinfeld

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.