DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Do you think any streaming services could potentially create their own TV network? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624550-do-you-think-any-streaming-services-could-potentially-create-their-own-tv-network.html)

dex14 01-12-15 09:26 AM

Do you think any streaming services could potentially create their own TV network?

Watching the GG last night, I started thinking about this, as I have yet to check out Transparent, or any Amazon Original Series.

Do you think that any of the streaming platforms could eventually move into buying their own network to air original programming?

I don't necessarily think this would work best for Netflix. But someone like Amazon could benefit from it.

Personally, I don't know anyone who buys Amazon Prime for the streaming aspect of it. It's just an additional bonus, IMO. I don't know why, but I never utilize it. Maybe they could branch out and create an Amazon Network that would bring a wider audience to their original content. Maybe they could do a first run on the streaming platform, and then air on the network. They could air movies and reruns of older original content in the gaps. Or they can rerun the shows that they have exclusive rights to add after they air.

Obviously subscription based services are their bread and butter now. They do have plenty of movies to keep people still interested in subscriptions. I have no idea about the logistics... just a thought.

spainlinx0 01-12-15 10:13 AM

Re: Do you think any streaming services could potentially create their own TV network

I'm the same as you when it comes to Amazon. If Transparent was on Netflix, I would have watched it already. I just always default to Netflix when I want to watch something.

Trevor 01-12-15 10:18 AM

Re: Do you think any streaming services could potentially create their own TV network

The better question may be why would they want to?

RichC2 01-12-15 10:26 AM

Amazon is apparently planning a free, ad-based version of Amazon Prime Instant, so that'll be their "TV Network" version. And it'll be available to everybody with Internet, not limited to any particular carriers or cable packages.

Their bigger issue is that the interface for Amazon Prime Instant is still pretty terrible on most platforms.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-...-report/385790

dex14 01-12-15 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12360741)
The better question may be why would they want to?

Maybe the money from advertisers would be better if they branched out? I'm not saying get rid of their streaming options. But adding more ways to get their content seen and increase profit.

Again... I don't see people clamoring to sign up for Prime to get Amazon's original content, so if they maybe branched out with a different business model, it would bring more attention to their programming.

dex14 01-12-15 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12360759)
Amazon is apparently planning a free, ad-based version of Amazon Prime Instant, so that'll be their "TV Network" version. And it'll be available to everybody with Internet, not limited to any particular carriers or cable packages.

Their bigger issue is that the interface for Amazon Prime Instant is still pretty terrible on most platforms.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-...-report/385790

This is kind of what I'm getting at. But taking it one step further and actually have it be provided by cable providers.

RichC2 01-12-15 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12360769)
This is kind of what I'm getting at. But taking it one step further and actually have it be provided by cable providers.

That'd sort of go against what they (Amazon / Netflix) are striving for and would be a step backwards. Both Amazon and Netflix could probably do it, but why.

dex14 01-12-15 10:41 AM

The thoughts I was having just came from the fact that I haven't checked out ANY of Amazon's original content. Why? I don't know. I have the ability to, but I don't. A lot of people are entirely unaware of Transparent. My main thing is just getting the content out there to be seen by as many as possible. Again, maybe they do run it first on their streaming service and then air on their network. I'm no business man. I know that these platforms were built for streaming and in a way this breaks everything they were built on. I'm not talking about this happening any time soon.

I don't really see this as an option for Netflix. But Amazon maybe... I just don't see them having the identity with the streaming platform.

Maybe another alternate (which is something already taking place), is just having the app available on all TVs. Once more people are accustomed to these new alternatives, their content will catch on.

RichC2 01-12-15 10:45 AM

Well most people that have Prime don't use Prime Video. Amazon has poorly designed apps out there on limited platforms, and it requires an upfront charge of $100 ($8/month sounds much better), even though that includes the awesomeness that is Amazon Prime Shipping.

So for now, imho, this is on Amazon. They have the content, now they need to deliver it. They're trying to with the Amazon Fire TV Sticks, but the sub-par Wifi on those things is causing issues for a lot of people. They were focused on creating a closed eco-system ("Fire") like Apple, but have slowly started to expand past that now that they realize Apple had their foot in the door early and was able to do that, Amazon wasn't.

Having a channel wouldn't help, it would be like an HBO, premium subscription channel and then they'd have to profit share with the cable companies. Or they'd have to run a nearly oblivious channel like IFC and Sundance. What they're doing is fine, they just aren't doing a great job of it.

Still my favorite thing they've done, NSFW:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sa4jvMBjC8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazon is trying different approaches, but they haven't found one that necessarily works just yet. IMO, they need to spin off the service, AmazonInstant.com or something with a solid interface and better dedicated apps. One that doesn't mix purchasable shows in with the free stuff, so I don't have to worry about giving it to my parents. Any way you look at it though, last night was a good night for Streaming services (Best Actor Drama, Best Actor Comedy, Best Series Comedy)

Mike86 01-12-15 12:13 PM

I'm sure if streaming services wanted to they could probably establish their own channel(s), but I think that would be kind of counter-productive to the streaming concept.

writer106 01-12-15 12:24 PM

Didn't Comcast or another cable company offer some kind of Netflix channel for awhile?

I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. I have Prime mostly because I order a lot of things from Amazon. Amazon Prime has a lot of the same titles as Netflix. Prime got the deal with Viacom to stream MTV, Nick, and Comedy Central shows after Netflix's contract expired in 2013. Their HBO deal is a plus, in my opinion. Amazon Prime has worked pretty well for me on my iPad and I got a Fire TV stick and Amazon Prime video has worked ok so far on that. I house sat for my parents last fall for a week and they have a Vizio smart TV. The Amazon app on that was awful.

As for the original programming, I remember when Amazon's first pilot season in 2013. The Zombieland TV series pilot was one of the pilots. I actually liked that the pilot the most. But it never got picked up and Alpha House was one of the pilots picked up. I didn't like the Alpha House pilot and I haven't given the rest of the series a chance. I mainly watched Transparent last fall because of Jeffrey Tambor. I was surprised by how good it was and I noticed early on that it was a favorite with critics. The Golden Globes wins for Transparent will definitely bring increased interest to Amazon's original programming. I think there is a chance that the upcoming shows Bosch and Hand of God will also increase interest.

Didn't Comcast or another cable company offer some kind of Netflix channel for awhile?

starseed1981 01-12-15 12:24 PM

Yes, but I don't know why they'd want too. Streaming services are the future. Network TV isn't quite the music industry but it's getting damn close.

dex14 01-12-15 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12360785)
Amazon is trying different approaches, but they haven't found one that necessarily works just yet. IMO, they need to spin off the service, AmazonInstant.com or something with a solid interface and better dedicated apps. One that doesn't mix purchasable shows in with the free stuff, so I don't have to worry about giving it to my parents. Any way you look at it though, last night was a good night for Streaming services (Best Actor Drama, Best Actor Comedy, Best Series Comedy)

Agree. This is probably the best option.

davidh777 01-12-15 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12360780)
The thoughts I was having just came from the fact that I haven't checked out ANY of Amazon's original content. Why? I don't know. I have the ability to, but I don't. A lot of people are entirely unaware of Transparent. My main thing is just getting the content out there to be seen by as many as possible.

Well most people that have Prime don't use Prime Video. Amazon has poorly designed apps out there on limited platforms, and it requires an upfront charge of $100 ($8/month sounds much better), even though that includes the awesomeness that is Amazon Prime Shipping.

I got Prime for the shipping and didn't use the video service for a long time, but now I use it fairly often--lots of TV, with spotty movie selection. I don't have Netflix or Roku so I can't compare apps--the ones on 360 and PS3 mostly do what I want them to do, but I often browse by web to feed my watchlist.

I've watched a few episodes of Alpha House and the nerd show, then I watched a few of their new pilots. So far nothing has grabbed me as a must-watch, though I might continue the '80s one with Paul Reiser when that produces more episodes. Haven't caught up with Transparent or Mozart in the Jungle yet.

dvd-4-life 01-12-15 12:36 PM

What about the other way around. Cable Companies or Direct TV starting their on streaming channel?

Even though Direct TV and Netflix are competitors,I wonder what would happen if they hooked up together(still separate companies) and shared their services with each other giving them even a bigger customer base.

RichC2 01-12-15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 12360918)
What about the other way around. Cable Companies or Direct TV starting their on streaming channel?

Even though Direct TV and Netflix are competitors,I wonder what would happen if they hooked up together(still separate companies) and shared their services with each other giving them even a bigger customer base.

This is already happening. Comcast has Streampix and they're part owner of Hulu (They own NBC Universal TV Group, who owns 32% of Hulu), Time Warner streams live feeds online, Dish is offering Sling TV soon.

ESPN 3 is ESPN's online only channel which offers a lot of college games and rugby, amongst other things. ESPN 1, 2 and ESPN U are also available as streams as long as you have a supported cable provider. Netflix is apparently available on some cable boxes in parts of the world.

dvd-4-life 01-12-15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12360929)
This is already happening. Comcast has Streampix and they're part owner of Hulu (They own NBC Universal TV Group, who owns 32% of Hulu), Time Warner streams live feeds online, Dish is offering Sling TV soon.

Plus Direct TV has a YouTube Channel.

writer106 01-12-15 03:11 PM

DirecTV has been making their own original programming for their Audience Network, for a few years now. I think the might launch a streaming service similar to Dish's Sling and they could include Audience Network in their lineup. If they went that route they would get more viewers for the original programming.

Abob Teff 01-12-15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12360678)
Personally, I don't know anyone who buys Amazon Prime for the streaming aspect of it.

I do. When I started it was a mix of reasons (the free book each month for my wife, streaming for me, and for the free shipping). Now I buy very little, my wife can never find a book she is interested in, and their streaming selection has dropped off severely (or is duplicated by Netflix). I can watch Netflix on all my devices whereas I can only watch Amazon on a few. The music addition was neat for a day or two (I'm not a big music person). If they added the unlimited books (instead of it being additional) I would probably keep it. I received my renewal notice today and am questioning if it is worth it.

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12360759)

A free ad-based version would be enough to cement me canceling my subscription. They do have a few (not many though) things that Netflix doesn't. I've been trying to hold out for the Chris Carter series.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12360764)
Maybe the money from advertisers would be better if they branched out? I'm not saying get rid of their streaming options. But adding more ways to get their content seen and increase profit.

Again... I don't see people clamoring to sign up for Prime to get Amazon's original content, so if they maybe branched out with a different business model, it would bring more attention to their programming.

The problem with your logic is that you are equating their programming to network programming. Network programming is a product. Amazon produced content is not a standalone product (though it could be). It is produced solely to sell their streaming service.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12360780)
The thoughts I was having just came from the fact that I haven't checked out ANY of Amazon's original content. Why? I don't know. I have the ability to, but I don't. A lot of people are entirely unaware of Transparent. My main thing is just getting the content out there to be seen by as many as people as possible ... Maybe another alternate (which is something already taking place), is just having the app available on all TVs. Once more people are accustomed to these new alternatives, their content will catch on.

This may make sense if the content was the product.

The one time charge is probably why I have stuck with it so long. One payment and I'm vested for the next 364 days.

Your point about their different approaches is, IMO, their biggest problem. Amazon Prime has no identity. Rather, it is a slop bucket. Tasty ingredients, but what the hell are they doing together?

Matthew Chmiel 01-13-15 01:31 AM

Amazon actually mailed me a physical letter the other week telling me to utilize their Amazon Instant Video service.

While pretty much every electronic device I own in my house has access to Amazon Instant Video, the UI is shit and the picture quality is garbage compared to what's available on services like iTunes, Netflix, or VUDU. I've rented actual paid content off the service with credit I've received from Amazon and their HD quality barely looked better than 480p.

In addition, all of their Prime pilots I've liked were never given series orders while shit like Alphas got a full season. Now granted Amazon has ordered a lot of garbage pilots, but there were some gems (like Those Who Can't that just got a series order two years later from TruTV of all places) that should've been picked up.

barelypure 01-13-15 08:10 AM

I watch Amazon thru Roku and the quality is pretty good.
As to someone starting their own network the WWE has done that and they're struggling to get subscribers even with a dedicated fan base. For $9.99 you get all of their programming, including the PPVs which run $50+ if bought through your cable provider. I don't think they've got to the 500,000 level yet and they're bleeding money. So for Amazon to step off that ledge when they're already losing money isn't a sound business venture IMO.

davidh777 01-14-15 01:23 PM

I watch Amazon on 360 and PS3 and the quality is fine, though some titles are better than others

Now that Transparent has made a larger impression on the market, a side question would be whether Amazon would ever offer it on physical discs like Netflix does with their big series. Yes, you're trying to get people to buy into the service, but the right distribution deal might actually bring in some cash. They could also do it on their own burning service, but it seems like the goal would be to increase exposure, and I think you'd want a partner to do that.

Draven 01-14-15 02:19 PM

As soon as the Amazon app for streaming works as well as the Netflix one does, I'll happily watch things there. As it stands it's pretty terrible and never worth the hassle.

RichC2 01-14-15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12363654)
I watch Amazon on 360 and PS3 and the quality is fine, though some titles are better than others

Now that Transparent has made a larger impression on the market, a side question would be whether Amazon would ever offer it on physical discs like Netflix does with their big series. Yes, you're trying to get people to buy into the service, but the right distribution deal might actually bring in some cash. They could also do it on their own burning service, but it seems like the goal would be to increase exposure, and I think you'd want a partner to do that.

Alpha House is already on blu-ray and dvd, I assume Transparent will be as well.

dex14 01-19-15 09:02 AM

So this is kind of what I was trying to get at initially; re: alternative plans of distributing their content. They will produce movies to screen in theatres, and then they will go to Prime. Different than Netflix's plan of producing films that will premiere on Netflix.

Amazon Studios said it will produce and acquire original movies for theatrical release and early-window distribution on Amazon Prime Instant Video starting in 2015.

According to Amazon, it expects to produce about 12 movies per year. Amazon said its original movies will premiere on Prime Instant Video in the U.S. just 4 to 8 weeks after their theatrical debut — versus up to a year for regular windowing.

The move by Amazon comes after Netflix also has launched a bid to enter into the movie sector, announcing plans to debut the sequel to “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” day-and-date in August 2015 and inking a four-movie deal with Adam Sandler.

The Amazon Original Movies creative development will be led by independent filmmaker Ted Hope. He co-founded and ran production company Good Machine, which produced such films as “Eat Drink Man Woman” and “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Earlier this month, Hope stepped down as CEO of Fandor, a streaming-video site specializing in indie and international titles.

“We look forward to expanding our production efforts into feature films,” Amazon Studios VP Roy Price said in a statement. “Not only will we bring Prime Instant Video customers exciting, unique, and exclusive films soon after a movie’s theatrical run, but we hope this program will also benefit filmmakers, who too often struggle to mount fresh and daring stories that deserve an audience.”

As with Netflix, Amazon Studios began with a focus on TV series although movies have been part of its plan since the beginning. Amazon’s “Transparent,” a half-hour dark comedy from Jill Soloway, won a Golden Globe for best TV musical and comedy series and star Jeffrey Tambor took home the trophy for best actor in a TV comedy.

Hope, whose title is head of production for Amazon Original Movies, commented, “To help carry the torch into the feature film world for such an innovative company is a tremendous opportunity and responsibility. Amazon Original Movies will be synonymous with films that amaze, excite, and move our fans, wherever customers watch.”
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...15-1201408688/