DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624518-schitts-creek-s-eugene-levy-catherine-ohara.html)

Norm de Plume 01-10-15 03:34 PM

Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara

This one is for us Canucks. I don't think it's airing on an American channel, but these days one can view almost anything, anywhere. I don't generally watch fictive shows, but I'm going to give this a try. I'm an enthusiastic viewer of CBC's hilarious Mr. D, which will be entering its 4th (?) season.

Here's a summary of the premise:

When a filthy rich video store magnate Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy), his soap star wife Moira (Catherine O'Hara), and their two kids - über-hipster son David (Dan Levy) and socialite daughter Alexis (Annie Murphy) - suddenly find themselves broke, they are forced to live in Schitt's Creek, a small, depressing town they once bought as a joke.

With their pampered lives now abandoned, they must confront their new-found poverty and discover what it means to be a family, all within the rural city limits of their new home. SCHITT'S CREEK is a character driven, half-hour single-camera comedy co-created by Eugene Levy and Dan Levy.
Anyone else going to tune in to this?

Axeramm 01-10-15 10:15 PM

Re: Schitt's Creek (premiering Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 on CBC)

Comcast is going to show it on the new Pop channel I think it's called which is the old TVGN.
It changes over next week i think.

Norm de Plume 01-14-15 03:55 PM

Did you catch it, Axeramm? Here the first two episodes ran back-to-back. I found it uninspired, obvious, and marginally amusing at best, but I will give it one or two more episodes before turning my back on it.

The tiny town where it is filmed (Goodwood, Ont.) we sometimes drive through on the way to or from the cottage (secondary route). I recognized the railroad tracks and the building that serves as the diner, but I have no idea where the motel is.

Axeramm 01-14-15 09:30 PM

Apparently it isnt airing until mid Feb on the Pop channel here. At least that is what I thought it said the last time i saw a promo for it.

Norm de Plume 01-14-15 09:38 PM

I see. Well, give it a look anyway. Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

Mr. Salty 01-15-15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 12363882)
I found it uninspired, obvious, and marginally amusing at best, but I will give it one or two more episodes before turning my back on it.

Well, in the show's defense, you aren't into fictive entertainment.

I've only watched the first episode and liked it enough to stick with it for a while. I love Levy and O'Hara, and Chris Elliot in small doses.

This is kind of a high-concept show, so I suspect it'll take a few episodes to find its groove.

Norm de Plume 01-15-15 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 12364785)
Well, in the show's defense, you aren't into fictive entertainment.

Generally I'm not, no, but as I wrote above, I find CBC's Mr. D very funny and entertaining. It's one of the only fiction shows I watch. But humour is intensely personal. One either laughs or one doesn't. I chuckled maybe once or twice during the two-episode stretch of Schitt's Creek. Here's a clip of an early Mr. D episode. More laughs in this 2 minutes than in 60 minutes of Schitt's.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0fn_vAhu_Lw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've only watched the first episode and liked it enough to stick with it for a while. I love Levy and O'Hara, and Chris Elliot in small doses.

This is kind of a high-concept show, so I suspect it'll take a few episodes to find its groove.
I will watch it a bit longer, hoping it gets better. I also like Chris Elliot, but I found him downplaying his usual zaniness.

Norm de Plume 01-21-15 02:53 PM

I gave up on this show for good mid-way through last night's third episode. I just don't want to waste my time on something that offers me such scant entertainment value. Bafflingly, the show is critically acclaimed.

Ky-Fi 02-05-15 07:55 PM

Huh, just read a summary of this, and was looking forward to it--but you've got me worried, Norm. I love Levy and O'Hara (and Elliott), so I had high hopes. I'll give it a shot next week.

Norm de Plume 02-05-15 09:50 PM

Yeah, check it out, Ky-Fi. You might love it. I seem to be in the minority. It has gotten quite a few good notices and high viewership in Canada, which leaves me completely perplexed.

Ky-Fi 02-05-15 10:18 PM

Yes, I've loved those guys since SCTV and through the Guest movies, so I'd THINK I would like it, but you never know. I believe it airs at 10pm on Feb 11 on the Pop channel in the US.

Keith6601 02-06-15 07:22 PM

I can't decide what I feel about the show overall. Levy and O'Hara are incredible but the kids are just meh and bring down any scene they're in for me. I need to watch the latest episode but I don't think I'll give it much longer as it seems the kids are becoming more of the focus instead of the family overall so my enjoyment will drop.

Mr. D on the other hand is one of the funniest shows in a long time in my opinion.

Norm de Plume 02-06-15 10:34 PM

I don't care for the characters of the children either, but I also don't find Levy and O'Hara all that great. The son is obviously gay, but no allusion to that (e.g. boyfriends) was made up to the end of the third episode (when I stopped watching), and I find the daughter isn't depicted in enough of a "demanding princess" light.

Best thing about the show is its punning title.

TerryW 03-04-15 03:14 PM

Huge SCTV, Levy, O'Hara and Elliot fan here and absolutely love this show. Levy is on fire in classic exasperated mode as he deals with all the morons and schitt going on in this town. I'm pleading with people to watch this in hopes it'll get picked up for at least a second season.

Bill Needle 09-02-15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 12413409)
Huge SCTV, Levy, O'Hara and Elliot fan here and absolutely love this show. Levy is on fire in classic exasperated mode as he deals with all the morons and schitt going on in this town. I'm pleading with people to watch this in hopes it'll get picked up for at least a second season.

I am finally getting around to watching this and four episodes in I love it.

Bill Needle 09-02-15 04:11 PM

Oh, and according to 20 seconds worth of internet research, it was in fact renewed for a second season to air in 2016.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-02-15 05:10 PM

Too bad it won't be in HD on Directv

dex14 03-16-16 07:03 AM

The second season is starting to air on Pop tonight, 3/16/16, with two episodes.

Norm de Plume 03-18-16 06:07 PM

Re: Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherina O'Hara

This crap won the Canadian Screen Awards for best comedy show.

Coral 03-18-16 06:15 PM

It's not a half-bad show.

What I like about it is that the humour is subdued. They don't try too hard.
And with this premise, I thought it would hit all the comedy cliches of fish-out-of-water, and also rehash the "Green Acres" feel - but it's managed to avoid a lot of that. The characters aren't totally one dimensional.

And it's nice to see some SCTV alumni in this as well.

Astrofan 06-02-16 08:30 PM

Though it gets little attention here, the season finale was one of the sweetest I've seen in years. Wonderfully written by Daniel Levy who gets to full use of the characters they've all created and the knowledge of the actors' abilities developed during two years of working together.

I don't care if anyone has a negative thought, as one who watched SCTV from the first time it was ever on American television--and knew that the SCTV boys could kick the comedy crap out of most of the SNL guys anyday--this was excellent TV.

Bill Needle 06-02-16 11:30 PM

I think the show is outstanding. A very funny show that is extremely well written and performed. The main cast of characters are fantastic, and even though their "fish out of water" theme has been done a million times before this feels fresh. And the supporting characters have something more to offer than merely to deliver a punch line and disappear. The comedy ranges from broad to subtle quite seamlessly, and does not rely on gross-outs or put-downs for its humor. Yes, it isn't like a typical network sitcom with predictable beats and canned laughter to tell you where the jokes are, and thank goodness for that.

Can't wait for season 3.

Pointyskull 12-12-16 01:04 PM

I just discovered this show a few weeks ago and just finished up both seasons.
Fun stuff, certainly not revolutionary or groundbreaking, but fun nonetheless.

Daniel Levy is really great on this show. And anytime I can get a Chris Elliott fix, I'm in...

Bill Needle 12-12-16 07:48 PM

Well good news then: it's coming back for season 3 in January.

Norm de Plume 12-12-16 09:35 PM

And the good news for me is that Mr. D is still going strong.