DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherina O'Hara

Very sweet setup to the last ep(s)
Old 04-08-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No posts yet about the finale? I thought it was well done, glad they kept it simple with just the wedding.
Old 04-08-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I liked it, it was fitting, though it seems like it should have been a two parter.

Found the transition from wedding to morning after weirdly jarring, and a lot of it felt a bit rushed which is weird for a show as leisurely as this one. But they kept the schmaltz down which was smart.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-08-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

It was a very well done finale.

I like that they didn't drag it out with a 1 hour special going over every aspect of the upcoming changes, and adding extra drama and syrupy crap. They kept it simple and bitter-sweet.
Old 04-08-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

Moira's wedding outfit

I liked that it was simple but felt like Alexis got short changed. But her dress.

Weird that Chris Elliot wasn't more involved in the retrospective.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-08-20 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

I just started watching this on Netflix on Friday before the big Emmy wins on Sunday, and I have not read the thread to avoid spoilers.

But I have a question about the premise.

What does it mean that they bought/own the town?

Is that just a throwaway thing to explain why they ended up and stayed there? At the end of Season One, they almost sold it.

I mean, it does not cost them or make them money to own the town. They don't possess any property. They don't have any power.

It is up for debate if the residents are nice and somewhat deferential to these odd outsiders because they own the place or just because that is the kind of people they are.
Old 09-21-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I just started watching this on Netflix on Friday before the big Emmy wins on Sunday, and I have not read the thread to avoid spoilers.

But I have a question about the premise.

What does it mean that they bought/own the town?

Is that just a throwaway thing to explain why they ended up and stayed there? At the end of Season One, they almost sold it.

I mean, it does not cost them or make them money to own the town. They don't possess any property. They don't have any power.

It is up for debate if the residents are nice and somewhat deferential to these odd outsiders because they own the place or just because that is the kind of people they are.
My recollection is that when they were still living high and had plenty of money to squander Johnny (Levy) bought the town as a jokey birthday gift for David (er...Levy) due to the town's name, which they found amusing. I believe the town was available - presumably via Roland Schitt (Elliott) - because the were in financial straights, but I can't recall if that was really discussed or sort of glossed over.

But yeah, I don't recall that "owning the town" amounted to anything other than they could sell the town (as came up early on).
Old 09-21-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They glossed over it, but that would have been a burdensome explanation - apparently there are a lot of different aspects to owning a town, in this case they probably own the land that's been leased out for development.

It doesn't seem likely they own it the same way as their inspiration
Old 09-21-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
My recollection is that when they were still living high and had plenty of money to squander Johnny (Levy) bought the town as a jokey birthday gift for David (er...Levy) due to the town's name, which they found amusing. I believe the town was available - presumably via Roland Schitt (Elliott) - because the were in financial straights, but I can't recall if that was really discussed or sort of glossed over.

But yeah, I don't recall that "owning the town" amounted to anything other than they could sell the town (as came up early on).
Yeah, it was never clear what "owning the town" meant on the show. They don't seem to generate any money from owning it. The only benefit they seem to have is that they get two hotel rooms which they can use to establish their residence. If the town was worth anything wouldn't the Feds/IRS have taken that as well?
Old 09-21-20, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Yeah, it was never clear what "owning the town" meant on the show. They don't seem to generate any money from owning it. The only benefit they seem to have is that they get two hotel rooms which they can use to establish their residence. If the town was worth anything wouldn't the Feds/IRS have taken that as well?
We don't know if Johnny was based Canada or the US, so if the Feds/IRS seized his assets (and not the Canadian government) - I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be for them to take ownership of a Canadian town.

Last edited by Coral; 09-21-20 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
We don't know if Johnny was based Canada or the US, so if the Feds/IRS seized his assets (and not the Canadian government) - I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be for them to take ownership of a Canadian town.
Yeah, I was never 100% clear about what happened, but assumed that they were based in the US and the town is in Canada (wait, is it supposed to be in Canada though?) and thus out of reach of the IRS. And wait, are the Roses Americans, Canadians, both? Thanks, now I'm more confused about the concept than I used to be when I wasn't thinking about it too deeply.
Old 09-22-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm on Season 3 and it's never been cold on the show, so I don't think it could really be in Canada, but I think it is more like Springfield where the clues they drop about the location don't make any sense.
Old 09-22-20, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I'm on Season 3 and it's never been cold on the show, so I don't think it could really be in Canada, but I think it is more like Springfield where the clues they drop about the location don't make any sense.
They purposely kept the country vague, but Dan Levy admitted that Schitt's Creek is a town in Ontario.
Orphan Black did the same thing, although they did make references to suburbs around Toronto (ie. "Scarberia" - which is slang for Scarborough) and then eventually mentioned Toronto and Canada in the last season.

The lack of winter weather isn't really an indication of the location. It's like Corner Gas... set in Saskatchewan but there's only been 1 episode where there was snow or cold weather.
Old 09-22-20, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fair enough about the show being set in Ontario, but I'm on Season 3 and they've never had a cold day yet on the show. Not bloody likely!
Old 09-23-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

I always assumed they were somewhere in the US even though it's a Canadian show. They're always talking about their NY/LA lives so it would be weird that they happened on a random town in Canada to buy.
Old 09-23-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I always assumed they were somewhere in the US even though it's a Canadian show. They're always talking about their NY/LA lives so it would be weird that they happened on a random town in Canada to buy.
Many Canadian business moguls and entertainers move to the US. Johnny could've known about the town when he lived in Ontario or came across it when he was looking at further expanding the business into near-by markets. He could've bought Dildo, Newfoundland - which seems to have gotten more popular due to the internet.