DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/624518-schitts-creek-s-eugene-levy-catherine-ohara.html)

RichC2 03-31-20 10:57 PM

Re: Schitt's Creek -- S: Eugene Levy, Catherina O'Hara

Very sweet setup to the last ep(s)

Double_Oh_7 04-08-20 11:13 AM

No posts yet about the finale? I thought it was well done, glad they kept it simple with just the wedding.

RichC2 04-08-20 11:16 AM

Yeah I liked it, it was fitting, though it seems like it should have been a two parter.

Found the transition from wedding to morning after weirdly jarring, and a lot of it felt a bit rushed which is weird for a show as leisurely as this one. But they kept the schmaltz down which was smart.

Coral 04-08-20 11:20 AM

It was a very well done finale.

I like that they didn't drag it out with a 1 hour special going over every aspect of the upcoming changes, and adding extra drama and syrupy crap. They kept it simple and bitter-sweet.

Deftones 04-08-20 10:30 PM

Moira's wedding outfit :lol:

I liked that it was simple but felt like Alexis got short changed. But her dress. :drool:

Weird that Chris Elliot wasn't more involved in the retrospective.

Count Dooku 09-21-20 02:01 PM

I just started watching this on Netflix on Friday before the big Emmy wins on Sunday, and I have not read the thread to avoid spoilers.

But I have a question about the premise.

What does it mean that they bought/own the town?

Is that just a throwaway thing to explain why they ended up and stayed there? At the end of Season One, they almost sold it.

I mean, it does not cost them or make them money to own the town. They don't possess any property. They don't have any power.

It is up for debate if the residents are nice and somewhat deferential to these odd outsiders because they own the place or just because that is the kind of people they are.

Bill Needle 09-21-20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13809611)
I just started watching this on Netflix on Friday before the big Emmy wins on Sunday, and I have not read the thread to avoid spoilers.

But I have a question about the premise.

What does it mean that they bought/own the town?

Is that just a throwaway thing to explain why they ended up and stayed there? At the end of Season One, they almost sold it.

I mean, it does not cost them or make them money to own the town. They don't possess any property. They don't have any power.

It is up for debate if the residents are nice and somewhat deferential to these odd outsiders because they own the place or just because that is the kind of people they are.

My recollection is that when they were still living high and had plenty of money to squander Johnny (Levy) bought the town as a jokey birthday gift for David (er...Levy) due to the town's name, which they found amusing. I believe the town was available - presumably via Roland Schitt (Elliott) - because the were in financial straights, but I can't recall if that was really discussed or sort of glossed over.

But yeah, I don't recall that "owning the town" amounted to anything other than they could sell the town (as came up early on).

RichC2 09-21-20 04:57 PM

They glossed over it, but that would have been a burdensome explanation - apparently there are a lot of different aspects to owning a town, in this case they probably own the land that's been leased out for development.

It doesn't seem likely they own it the same way as their inspiration

movieguru 09-21-20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13809669)
My recollection is that when they were still living high and had plenty of money to squander Johnny (Levy) bought the town as a jokey birthday gift for David (er...Levy) due to the town's name, which they found amusing. I believe the town was available - presumably via Roland Schitt (Elliott) - because the were in financial straights, but I can't recall if that was really discussed or sort of glossed over.

But yeah, I don't recall that "owning the town" amounted to anything other than they could sell the town (as came up early on).

Yeah, it was never clear what "owning the town" meant on the show. They don't seem to generate any money from owning it. The only benefit they seem to have is that they get two hotel rooms which they can use to establish their residence. If the town was worth anything wouldn't the Feds/IRS have taken that as well?

Coral 09-21-20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13809817)
Yeah, it was never clear what "owning the town" meant on the show. They don't seem to generate any money from owning it. The only benefit they seem to have is that they get two hotel rooms which they can use to establish their residence. If the town was worth anything wouldn't the Feds/IRS have taken that as well?

We don't know if Johnny was based Canada or the US, so if the Feds/IRS seized his assets (and not the Canadian government) - I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be for them to take ownership of a Canadian town.

cultshock 09-22-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13809859)
We don't know if Johnny was based Canada or the US, so if the Feds/IRS seized his assets (and not the Canadian government) - I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be for them to take ownership of a Canadian town.

Yeah, I was never 100% clear about what happened, but assumed that they were based in the US and the town is in Canada (wait, is it supposed to be in Canada though?) and thus out of reach of the IRS. And wait, are the Roses Americans, Canadians, both? Thanks, now I'm more confused about the concept than I used to be when I wasn't thinking about it too deeply. :lol:

Count Dooku 09-22-20 12:51 PM

I'm on Season 3 and it's never been cold on the show, so I don't think it could really be in Canada, but I think it is more like Springfield where the clues they drop about the location don't make any sense.

Coral 09-22-20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13810170)
I'm on Season 3 and it's never been cold on the show, so I don't think it could really be in Canada, but I think it is more like Springfield where the clues they drop about the location don't make any sense.

They purposely kept the country vague, but Dan Levy admitted that Schitt's Creek is a town in Ontario.
Orphan Black did the same thing, although they did make references to suburbs around Toronto (ie. "Scarberia" - which is slang for Scarborough) and then eventually mentioned Toronto and Canada in the last season.

The lack of winter weather isn't really an indication of the location. It's like Corner Gas... set in Saskatchewan but there's only been 1 episode where there was snow or cold weather.

Count Dooku 09-22-20 11:41 PM

Fair enough about the show being set in Ontario, but I'm on Season 3 and they've never had a cold day yet on the show. Not bloody likely!

spainlinx0 09-23-20 09:26 AM

I always assumed they were somewhere in the US even though it's a Canadian show. They're always talking about their NY/LA lives so it would be weird that they happened on a random town in Canada to buy.

Coral 09-23-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13810604)
I always assumed they were somewhere in the US even though it's a Canadian show. They're always talking about their NY/LA lives so it would be weird that they happened on a random town in Canada to buy.

Many Canadian business moguls and entertainers move to the US. Johnny could've known about the town when he lived in Ontario or came across it when he was looking at further expanding the business into near-by markets. He could've bought Dildo, Newfoundland - which seems to have gotten more popular due to the internet.

dex14 10-03-20 12:09 PM

Season 6 was supposed to drop on Netflix in a few days, but they released it early:

davidh777 10-03-20 01:32 PM

I watched the whole series over the summer, 1-5 on Netflix and 6 on Comcast on demand. Loved it. Hilarious and often touching, and great (if sometimes annoying) characters, I’ll do a rewatch sometime.

dex14 10-14-20 06:05 PM

Wrapped up the final season today now that it is on Netflix.

This was just a great series. It can be rare for a comedy to actually have growth of its characters without turning into caricatures of themselves. This show accomplished very good character development. I'm glad it got all Emmy recognition this year. It was well deserved.

The 45 min documentary that is on Netflix is good too. A nice farewell.

Norm de Plume 10-16-20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13810504)
Fair enough about the show being set in Ontario, but I'm on Season 3 and they've never had a cold day yet on the show. Not bloody likely!

I didn't watch past the second episode of S1, so I don't know a lot of what's being discussed here. Apparently they filmed solely during the warm months for whatever reason. The show was produced by CBC, which would never finance a show set in the U.S. It seems it was mostly filmed in Goodwood, Ontario, which is hilarious if you've ever driven through the place; it's no more than an insignificant blip on a map, and not even picturesque.

CPA-ESQ. 03-15-21 01:28 PM

I just finished watching the whole series on Netflix. I can see why it won so many awards for the last season.

The characters really grow and develop - I think it ended the series very nicely.

I would say if you can't get into the show after the first 3-4 episodes - bail - but if you like the family dynamic, mannerisms, etc... then stick with it - the show does not do anything crazy and depart from this (nor is there any odd filler seasons, or plots that develop and get 'forgotten' about next season. etc.

jpcamb 03-15-21 02:26 PM

I also have to say ignore the tone and such of the first episode as it bears such little resemblance to the rest of the series. I almost did not get past the first episodes but have to say it's one of my favorite shows.

Giantrobo 03-15-21 02:34 PM

I recently started seeing clips being posted on FB and I'm sorry I missed this series live. It has been added to my "Binge" pile. :up:

Bill Needle 03-15-21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13906019)
I recently started seeing clips being posted on FB and I'm sorry I missed this series live. It has been added to my "Binge" pile. :up:

Well worth it. Plus, it is a high quality show that you can watch with anyone, from your beer drinking buddies to grandma and the kids. It is in rarefied air in that respect.

spainlinx0 03-15-21 07:36 PM

I have watched this show quite a few times now. I think this show also gets better on multiple viewings. I remember when I first saw the second season being a little letdown. Now, nope, it’s a good season. They all have their gems, and it gets stronger from there.