Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol (FOX) -- Season 14 Thread -- Premieres 1/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
American Idol (FOX) -- Season 14 Thread -- Premieres 1/7/15

**SEASON PREMIERE, PART ONE** - "AMERICAN IDOL XIV" - (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p- Dolby Digital 5.1

SUPERSTARS MADE HERE ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF "AMERICAN IDOL XIV" WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7, ON FOX

Part Two of the Two-Night Season Premiere Event Airs Tomorrow, Thursday, January 8, at 8:00 PM ET/PT on FOX

Everyone's favorite singing competition returns for its highly anticipated 14th season. The fun begins when host Ryan Seacrest and returning judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr., travel to Nashville, TN, to discover the city's best talent. This season promises to deliver the most talented group of singers yet and, as always, it's up to the viewers to root and vote for their favorite contestants, ultimately crowning the next AMERICAN IDOL. Don't miss the auditions from Nashville in the all-new "Auditions #1" Season Premiere, Part One episode of AMERICAN IDOL XIV airing Wednesday, Jan. 7 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ID-1401) (TV-PG D, L)

Host: Ryan Seacrest

Judges: Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, Harry Connick, Jr.

Read more: Listings - AMERICAN IDOL on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3OBi5j7pm

37 episode 14th season. They are cutting the show to 1 night per week when it hits the live shows.

I don't know if anyone even cares about AI anymore, but I figured 1 thread should be made.

I stopped watching when Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj joined the show. I watched a few auditions and they were just terrible judges. I just found it too difficult to keep up with this and other shows I enjoy more. Plus, this will be competing with The Voice around February and I still like The Voice, but I cannot keep up with 2 singing competition shows in 1 season.

The last season I watched in it's entirety was when Phillip Phillips won. That's when I got super burned out of singing competition shows. I still like The Voice as I said, but I am reaching a tipping point with 2 cycles per season.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-07-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: American Idol (FOX) -- Season 14 Thread (Final season?) -- Premieres 1/7/15

I'll watch because the wife still loves it. I'm so burned out on singing shows, but I do like this panel of judges.
Old 01-07-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Guy who asked Lopez to dance was one of my favorite things ever on this show.
Old 01-08-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That whole scene, with him at first trying to be a gentleman by the way he held her, to Harry and Keith playing while he sang was just amazing. It was surprisingly touching.
Old 01-08-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

J-Lo's admission about not being able to pick guys (for relationships) was kinda hilarious.
Old 01-08-15, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I'll watch because the wife still loves it. I'm so burned out on singing shows, but I do like this panel of judges.
The judges are the main reason I'm tuning in this season. I liked them last season too. The Marian and Nikki season was terrible.
Old 01-08-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
The judges are the main reason I'm tuning in this season. I liked them last season too. The Marian and Nikki season was terrible.
I'll agree... I didn't think it would work at first (and certainly it wasn't enough to make me stick around last season... who won again?) but they do seem to have good chemistry, even if it's probably all scripted.
Old 01-08-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I finally knocked the last few weeks of season 13 off my DVR.

I thought the dancing guy was a little creepy--just me, I guess.

I didn't get the raves for the I Can't Make You Love Me guy. He sounded offkey to me.

I like the judges as well, and as a jazz/standards fan, it's nice (and surprising) to have Harry Connick Jr. there. I was amused by this exchange:

Contestant: I can't wait to meet Nikki and Mariah!
Other person: Heads up: It's Keith Urban, J-Lo, and Harry Connick Jr.
Contestant: Who is it?
Other person: Harry Connick Jr.
Contestant: And who?
Old 01-08-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Fox is finally putting full episodes of American Idol online at various outlets, including their own web sites.
Old 01-08-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

no bad. I am in for the rest of the auditions.
Old 01-16-15, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They let in some terrible singers for the New York auditions...

Either Harry is smoking crack, or the producers have lessened the talent requirement just for cannon fodder for the Hollywood week episodes.
Old 02-12-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts

Last edited by Count Dooku; 02-12-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Wy'd you remove your question?
Old 02-13-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts

I figured it out as I watched more of the show.
Old 02-13-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I loved it during the auditions when Harry told one of the contestants it seems fake to sing with a country accent if you don't normally have one. All the while Keith was listening, tight-lipped.
Old 05-11-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Next season will be the actual final season

http://deadline.com/2015/05/american...15-1201424278/
Old 05-11-15, 09:39 AM

I just saw the news. I'm not surprised ,ratings have been dipping and interest in some of the winners as dwindled. I've watched this season and it has been lackluster at times and Tyanna shouldn't have been voted off a couple of weeks ago. She is much better than Jax.
Old 05-11-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been a good run. The first 5-6 seasons were the best.
Old 05-11-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by writer106
I just saw the news. I'm not surprised ,ratings have been dipping and interest in some of the winners as dwindled. I've watched this season and it has been lackluster at times and Tyanna shouldn't have been voted off a couple of weeks ago. She is much better than Jax.
I never get into who is voted off because it's not just about best singer, it's about demographics. Who do the people who vote like more? My wife thought I might be upset when Tyanna was voted off as I kept noting how I like her voice the most, but no. There's been something to like about all of the contestants for weeks now. And I don't really love any of them. Tyanna has a voice I like, but she's young and Jordin Sparks notwithstanding, probably doesn't have a lot to say musically at this point.

Also, as much as I love Harry being willing to talk about the music of being a singer, it does get irritating when he talks to a musician and says, "You have to be in the pocket, do you know what that is?" The ones who play music are the last people who need to have him say things like that, but he actually said that to Clark.

I suspect I'll actually miss AI when it's gone. Not because I think the people coming off the show are idols, but because I like having a weekly show where I can hear (and see) some music. I wish it were fewer songs from 30-60 years ago that the contestants have absolutely no connection to, but there you go. When AI goes, I lose some weekly musical performances (with only The Voice remaining to my knowledge).

Also, I miss X-Factor. I read the valid comments here about it being overproduced, but it put out some excellent performances IMO. X-Factor has at least one act still going strong (Fifth Harmony). Who knows? Maybe something else will eventually rise to take AI's place.
Old 05-14-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No comments on the finale? I still enjoy AI but I guess the show has run it's course. I was rooting for several of the singers (Joey Cook being my favorite) and Jax was the last one standing until she got knocked out of the final showdown. I think this was the first time I had no interest in the final 2 and didn't watch. I did speed through the results show, watched a few duets and the judges number which was good. The highlight for me was simply seeing Nicole Kidman in the audience. Then they announced a winner between two singers I could care less about and I'm a fan of the show. I did enjoy the season up until this week. Still, looking forward to next year and sad to see it go.
Old 05-14-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
I was rooting for several of the singers (Joey Cook being my favorite) and Jax was the last one standing until she got knocked out of the final showdown. I think this was the first time I had no interest in the final 2 and didn't watch. I did speed through the results show, watched a few duets and the judges number which was good. The highlight for me was simply seeing Nicole Kidman in the audience. Then they announced a winner between two singers I could care less about and I'm a fan of the show.
I agree, I thought the finale was very anti-climactic once it was down to two bland white guys. I barely noticed those guys all season long and they were the last 2 standing? Lame.

I did like some of the celebrity duets because it is always cool seeing the contestants geek out a little to perform with one of their idols.