Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Old 05-16-24, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 863 Likes on 724 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The news is already at least 2 days old, but folks on-line are freaking out a bit that Lacey Chabert will stop doing Hallmark films (especially Christmas Hallmark films) because she will be starring in a Netflix Holiday film called Hot Frosty (to air this year). It is being noted that this was a big get for Netflix given her cachet in the Holiday film space, and I agree.

I want to be the guy to tell folks to relax, she is not leaving Hallmark, but who really knows? At least it sounds like she might become more of a free agent and star in Netflix and other streamers Holiday films vs just jumping over to GAC (which I do not think will happen).

I think she only does 2-3 Hallmark films in a years time, so if she decided to star in 3 Holiday films, but each film is from a different network/streaming service, I could live with that.
Netflix obviously threw a ton of money at her to get her away from Hallmark, even if it may be non-exclusive. You can kind of tell she's been downshifting her schedule the past couple years at Hallmark anyway as they attempt to bring in younger, cheaper faces for their channel. She's nearing the age when it will get harder and harder to sell her as a romantic lead for their audience.

More interesting to see will be if she ever does anything for Hallmark's direct competitor, Great American Channel.
Old 05-17-24, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

Unless Lacey has some type of exclusive contract that says she can only work on Hallmark movies I don't see this as a big deal. She still does voice work in cartoons as well.
Old 05-17-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts

I agree that this is really not that big of a deal, but I also understand why a lot of folks on-line paused at the news to consider Lacey's future at Hallmark. Her last three Hallmark films (the Haul Out The Holly films, and the Scottish Christmas film, which was a Party Of Five mini-reunion) did pretty darn well for Hallmark so folks clearly want to see much more of Chabert in Hallmark films but as Phantom already noted, you see Netflix throwing lots of money at her and bending to her time schedule (I imagine she is very busy throughout the year) and you start to think hmmm...is something up when it comes to her future at Hallmark.

I will double down that unless she privately shares the same views on marriage as Candace Cameron Bure (who is very much against marriage that is not only between a man and a woman) that she is unpoachable by GAC. Maybe if Candace had not gone so public with her views they had a chance, but I think there is now a snowballs chance in hell that we see her in a GAC film in the next 2-3 years.

I will say that this news just acts as a good reminder that another batch of Holiday films will be upon us soon enough (well, we are still many months away, but it is hard to believe that in around 4 months the Countdown to Christmas will right around the corner, so to speak), and boy do we need them as this years batch of films have been meh at best, with quite a few just being not good at all. Not even great background viewing films, just a film that you can skip with no regrets even if you try to catch all the films like I do.

Maybe blame it (the blah like films this year) on the strikes, but we have had better films at this point in the year from years past (the Wedding Veil films, and I remember looking forward to the latest Wedding March film). This years Austen experiment was a mixed bag, but surprisingly enough some of those films were better than the love in National Park films we have been getting lately from Hallmark.

Anyway, to repeat myself for the umpteenth time in this thread, I still try to watch them all and derive some enjoyment out of even the bad films, but yeah...a lot of duds this year. I seem to remember in years past there was more activity around commenting on Hallmark Originals throughout the year, but this year not so much. I think it is a combo of folks are busy watching lots of other stuff, and that many of the films are not really worth writing home about, lol.

ETA: The really frustrating thing about some of these films is that I love the cast, Tyler Hines and Katherine Barrell in a film, sign me up! However, the film they were in turned out to be not all that memorable and was one of the just okay at best films of the year.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 05-17-24 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-25-24, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

I'm not wild about Lacey fooling around with Netflix. But yeah, it'd be much worse if it were GAC, which aggressively poaches away the Hallmark talent. Hallmark really leaned on Lacey after the departures of Lori Loughlin and Candace Cameron Bure.

I've still been recording the films but haven't watched any in the last couple months because I retired and no longer WFH in front of the TV lol. I'll have to figure out how to keep up with them.

I was watching heavily earlier this year but didn't get around to updating the thread. I thought Austen Month was a mixed bag. The convention one and the time-travel one were the best, while the Sense and Sensibility seemed kind of pointless since there are so many versions of that already.

I also dug into some old ones just to check them off. I finally watched all the Loves Comes... series, which were fine. Katherine Heigl obviously turned out to be the big name in the first two, and she was fine, but I thought some of the later storylines were more interesting, albeit in a soapy way. I also watched a bunch of CCB Aurora Teagarden mysteries, which were also fine, and I liked Lacey and Brennan Elliott in the All of My Heart series (I think I had only seen the first).

I also burned through a season and a half of The Way Home, which I liked, but I still haven't finished it because of my watching drought. And I thought the double-length Karen Kingsbury's The Bridge was quite good, with Katie Findlay, who was also good in the recent comedy Love Strikes Twice.
Old 05-26-24, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 863 Likes on 724 Posts

Not sure how well GAC is doing, they barely even run their own movies. The channel outside of the holiday season is an endless block of Perry Mason, Murder She Wrote and Columbo reruns these days.
Old 06-04-24, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

GAC made a big deal about their Easter movie with Hallmark alum Laura Osnes, but I missed it and it didn't seem to be repeated. They always repeat everything a jillion times, but maybe this one was too seasonal. Or maybe they are reworking their strategy. They certainly seemed to spend a lot of money on talent, and their movies generally aren't that good, even by these standards.

New Hallmark sale on Fandango/Vudu around a travel theme. The good news is that it includes two of the final four Signed Sealed Delivered movies I want. These are never on sale--I only bought the first eight because they were in cheap four-packs, and regular price is $10-13, which I've balked at paying. Maybe the others will pop up in a sale too.
The following users liked this post:
mk1 (06-04-24)