Reload this Page >

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Old 11-25-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 278 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Peacock streams all three channels and has select movies available for streaming on demand. Also the new movies are available to watch the day after they air. I watched Haul out the Holly this afternoon and the sequel is on right now. It kind of reminds me of Christmas with Kranks
Old 11-25-23, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit are people this annoying who have to deal with HoAs in the suburbs?
Old 11-26-23, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 761 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Holy shit are people this annoying who have to deal with HoAs in the suburbs?
I consciously avoid moving to any neighborhood which has an HOA if that answers your question.
Old 11-26-23, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats just my random thought watching Haul out the Holly: Lit up. I've lived in the suburbs my whole life but never in a subdivision. I can't imagine being a part of an HoA and dealing with these types of people portrayed in this movie. As far as the movie it's cheesy and I'll agree it feels like Hallmark's attempt at making comedies.
Old 11-26-23, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Amazon Prime video has a deal for Hallmark Movies Now. 2 months for 75% off. $3 total. Perfect short-term deal for me.

I started watching a 2022 movie last night. "Time for him to come home for Christmas". Stars Teen Wolf star Holland Roden. Was that ever talked about in this thread? I only watched about 30 minutes before bed.

I kind of like it so far. And Roden is really beautiful. One of my guilty pleasures of watching these Hallmark movies is they always cast some really gorgeous women as the leads.

I still have DirecTV also, so I am able to still watch the 1st run movies. Reminds me, I need to DVR "A Merry Scottish Christmas" with Lacey Chabert and Scott Wolf. Anyone seen it yet?
Old 11-26-23, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 964 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Amazon Prime video has a deal for Hallmark Movies Now. 2 months for 75% off. $3 total. Perfect short-term deal for me.

I started watching a 2022 movie last night. "Time for him to come home for Christmas". Stars Teen Wolf star Holland Roden. Was that ever talked about in this thread? I only watched about 30 minutes before bed.

I kind of like it so far. And Roden is really beautiful. One of my guilty pleasures of watching these Hallmark movies is they always cast some really gorgeous women as the leads
I opined about it last year. Agree about the attractive women.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Time for Him to Come Home for Christmas is the latest in the (unrelated) ďtime forĒ series, and I generally like the dramas. I liked how this one had an unfolding mystery, and Hannah Roden and Tyler Hines (bearded again) made a good team. One of the better ones Iíve seen this year.
Old 11-27-23, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

It's been a while since I've indulged in one of these types of movies, but Mom is a fan of them so we all watched one after our big Thanksgiving meal.

It was a Netflix production from 2019 called Holiday in the Wild, starring Kristen Davis and Rob Lowe. The two leads are perhaps a step up, celebrity-wise, from the typical cast of these DTV Christmas movies. Davis plays "Kate," an about-to-be-divorced woman who goes on safari and meets a charming pilot, "Derek," played by Lowe. They end up at a wildlife sanctuary where Kate--a veterinarian--pitches in to help save a baby elephant and falls in love with the people and the animals and eventually Derek. The exotic setting aside, it's a pretty typical romance plot with some conflicts in the final act that get smoothed over very quickly for the feel-good ending we expect. Some of it was actually filmed at an elephant sanctuary in South Africa, so that's cool. According to Wikipedia, the baby elephant was mostly a life-sized puppet, which I didn't even realize until reading about it afterward, so good job by the effects people. I never watched Sex in the City, but was aware of Kristen Davis from all the publicity. She was 55 when this movie was filmed and still looking gorgeous. She and Rob Lowe (who was 56 when this came out) are both aging very well.

Old 11-27-23, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Dash of Christmas 4.25 out of 5 (Great American) - I think this may have already been covered earlier in the thread. A sweet, no-frills romantic Christmas movie starring Laura Osnes. She's a second-tier star in my eyes but delivers a really attractive performance as a businesswoman who learns how to bake under a handsome chef. Nice cast, nice script.

Checkin' It Twice 3 out of 5 (Hallmark) - Kevin McGarry is one of Hallmark's biggest male stars and does his best in this light dramedy about a minor league hockey player. The last ten minutes really let this movie down in a completely unbelievable development. There's an insane romantic resolution. Otherwise a solid Hallmark production.
Old 11-28-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christmas Time Capsule 3 out of 5 (UPtv) - Only really watchable thanks to lead Emily Alatalo, who checking her credits appears to have dived headfirst into Christmas films after a scattered career in indie films. Tortured premise about lifelong friends having to drive back home together because the guy has decided to propose to another girl and his best friend realizes she's going to lose him, unless she finally admits her feelings to him. Unfortunately this is a story where the male lead is almost as important as the female star but they cast a guy who just isn't a strong actor for the role. There are a couple elements in the screenplay I don't think Hallmark would allow.
Old 11-29-23, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have about a dozen of these stacked up on the DVR, so I figured I'd pick off some quick deletes and save Lacey Chabert etc for later.

A Heidelberg Holiday didn't impress me from the ads, and it was forgettable. An American artist (Ginna Claire Mason ) goes to Germany to sell her stuff in a market and meets a local artist (Frederic Brossier ). Nice scenery, meh leads. Delete.

Navigating Christmas was a little better, with Chelsea Hobbs as a recent divorcee who takes her son to stay at a lighthouse for the holidays and meets the widower owner (Stephen Huszar). Predictable ending, but not bad. Delete.

In Holiday Hotline, Emily Tennant flees from London to Chicago to escape a failed relationship and takes a job on the turkey hotline (where people call with their prep problems--I think it's a Butterball thing). She strikes up a conversation with one customer (Niall Matter) who, it turns out, she has already met--and gotten off on the wrong foot with--in real life. You can see where this is going, but I liked how they were having phone conversations, and the director placed them in the same room together to reflect the directness of the conversation. The hotline was an interesting setting, the relationships felt like they meant something, and there were several funny lines. It's up there with Santa Summit as my favorite this year so far, and the first one I haven't deleted so I can watch it again.

(I've started bolding my titles because I find it helpful when others do it.)
Old 11-29-23, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,485 Posts

I finished Time for Him to Come Home for Christmas yesterday. Liked it even though the premise is too built on coincidences. I really liked the chemistry between Holland Roden and Tyler Hines. With the goatee Hines almost looks like a slightly older Grant Gustan with facial hair.

Roden is really beautiful. Never watched her on Teen Wolf, which I guess is her main show of notoriety.
Old 11-29-23, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In Holiday Hotline, Emily Tennant flees from London to Chicago to escape a failed relationship and takes a job on the turkey hotline (where people call with their prep problems--I think it's a Butterball thing). She strikes up a conversation with one customer (Niall Matter) who, it turns out, she has already met--and gotten off on the wrong foot with--in real life. You can see where this is going, but I liked how they were having phone conversations, and the director placed them in the same room together to reflect the directness of the conversation. The hotline was an interesting setting, the relationships felt like they meant something, and there were several funny lines. It's up there with Santa Summit as my favorite this year so far, and the first one I haven't deleted so I can watch it again.
Butterball does have an emergency phone line around Thanksgiving if you need help preparing turkeys and other things. I think it's run out of Minnesota.
Old 11-30-23, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Santa Maybe (GAC) stars Aubrey Reynolds as a ballet company manager who butts heads with a new hire who used to torment her in high school. He tries to win her over as her secret Santa, and we’ve got, yes, ANOTHER You’ve Got Mail scenario! Reynolds is cute and appeared in a Hallmark movie last year about a woman who travels to Ireland to investigate what appears to be a portrait of her. The rest of the acting is pretty bad, though, and it just has that cheap GAC look rather than the Hallmark shine. Also the title is a play on the song but kind of a stretch to fit this movie. On the other hand, I’ve done a fair amount of arts admin work myself, so I probably enjoyed that part of it too much.

Catch Me if You Claus was shown on Thanksgiving, which I assume is a prime slot. Italia Ricci is a newscaster looking for her first big break while Luke McFarlane may be Santa Claus breaking into her house. Broad comedy and a light caper made for an ok experience.
Old 12-01-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haul Out The Holly: Lit Up 3.5 out of 5 (Hallmark) - A fine sequel to last year's best Christmas comedy with most of the same cast. I loved the first one, so I guess you'd consider this a slight step down in quality. It's hard duplicating the exact magic of a good comedy but another winner starring Lacey Chabert. I kind of wish they had leaned more into the ensemble cast they brought back but it's a small complaint. I wonder if we'll get a trilogy...

Christmas By Design 4.5 out of 5 (Hallmark) - I've started seeking out Rebecca Dalton's Christmas projects as she keeps starring in reliable vehicles suited for her talents. This tale of a working designer from the city returning to her small home town has a formulaic approach which works stunningly well. Lots of small character building moments that tie nicely together and a romance which hits every beat perfectly.
Old 12-01-23, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just watched Haul Out the Holly 2 as well, and agree it was a step down from last year, though still fine. There was one scene
Spoiler:
(snowball ambush)

that I found pretty funny.

Holiday Road was also pretty good. We've seen so many "couple on a forced road trip" movies, and this group journey was a little different, with some emotional moments as well.

Vudu has rebooted their Hallmark sale, with a number of 2022 movies added. They also hide some of the cheap bundles at the end.

Old 12-03-23, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Our Christmas Wedding 4 out of 5 (Great American) - This is a sequel to a Christmas film from last year which I don't remember all that well, but did catch. They keep the same cast with characters switching places in the narrative as now the couple who planned the wedding last year are getting married themselves. The two female leads are great in this flick, though the Christmas season is mostly an afterthought in the narrative.

Mistletoe Connection 5 out of 5 (UPtv) - Excellent chemistry between the two leads in this finely executed Christmas romance, which to be fair features a formulaic premise of a businessman falling for the owner of a Christmas gift store...which his company is foreclosing and demolishing. I think I recognize star Jessica Sipos from a couple Lifetime thrillers and the role suits her like a glove. The two lead characters bond over their shared love for all things Christmas. A very comfortable

Holiday Road 2.5 out of 5 (Hallmark) - An ensemble comedy led by recurring Hallmark lead Warren Christie. Started out a little over the top for my tastes, though it did nicely settle into a steady groove. The Chinese couple who couldn't speak English were the funniest characters. The problem here for me is the ensemble, which only works sporadically together. There is a poignant moment near the end which is sweet. This movie is background viewing at best.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-04-23 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-04-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A World Record Christmas 4.25 out of 5 (Hallmark) - Just about the best possible movie considering the subject matter, featuring a tight script and great cast. Nikki DeLoach and Lucas Bryant star as a married couple handling a young autistic boy. It never felt like an afternoon special and there are several incredibly sweet moments. Nikki DeLoach rarely lets me down and I will always have a huge soft spot for Lucas Bryant considering his role in Haven. About the only weakness is Christmas feels like a complete afterthought and this movie could have been set anytime of year. Is this something I'd ever watch again? Probably not but everything gels so nicely together.

Laughing All the Way 2 out of 5 (Lifetime) - A famous actor returns to the comedy club he started his career at and falls for the owner's writing assistant. I'm not sure how invested Lifetime still is in these Christmas movies. The results are increasingly tepid and falling behind other channels. Supposedly a comedy but there just isn't much funny material in it. Not much of a Christmas movie at all with random side characters (a male cousin and sister) inserted into the action I guess to serve as sounding boards for our two romantic leads, who I don't recognize at all.
Old 12-05-23, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christmas In Maple Hills 4 out of 5 (Great American) - Another romantic Christmas movie starring Emily Alatalo, far better than Christmas Time Capsule she starred in for UPtv. Nice story with flashbacks to her grandmother during the World War II era. The male lead is a real pro, having been a recurring star for Lifetime and Hallmark before. Classic Hallmark formula nicely done.

The Santa Summit 2 out of 5 (Hallmark) - Ensemble comedy with no recognizable stars, which I think was either filmed without a script or heavily improvised given its chaotic energy. Basically they threw a ton of characters into Santa outfits and expected magic to happen, which doesn't always work for my tastes. These ensemble movies don't really work when you only like a couple characters out of 7.

A Tiny Home Christmas 1.5 out of 5 (UPtv) - Weird story of two former reality co-hosts who broke up getting back together. Being set in December is the extent of the narrative's connection to Christmas. Eminently skippable and probably worth avoiding.

In other news, Great American has made a terrible decision to run a countdown timer on screen all day whenever a new movie is making its premiere that night. Almost impossible to ignore when watching on larger screens.

Old 12-06-23, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Christmas Island has Rachel Skarsten (The Royal Nanny) as a go-getter pilot who lands a sweet private gig then gets weather-grounded on the titular island, where she meets Christmas aficionado Andrew Walker. The female pilot and grounding reminded me a lot of Come from Away, and the movie is charming with good leads.

A Paris Christmas Waltz (GAC) stars Jen Lilley and Matthew Morrison (Glee) as dance partners, and it's a pretty standard dance movie. It's nice to see Morrison again, but Lilley's stuff has been just OK the last couple years, including her last couple Hallmarks. I loved her in Winter Love Story, and I don't think she's regressed as an actor, but maybe the material just isn't as good. Nothing wrong with this one, but not that memorable either.

My first rewatch of the season was Holiday Hotline. I generally watch all these by myself but will rewatch some of the better ones with the wife, and she seemed to like it.
Old 12-06-23, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 261 Likes on 218 Posts

Christmas Island has Rachel Skarsten (The Royal Nanny) as a go-getter pilot who lands a sweet private gig then gets weather-grounded on the titular island, where she meets Christmas aficionado Andrew Walker. The female pilot and grounding reminded me a lot of Come from Away, and the movie is charming with good leads.

A Paris Christmas Waltz (GAC) stars Jen Lilley and Matthew Morrison (Glee) as dance partners, and it's a pretty standard dance movie. It's nice to see Morrison again, but Lilley's stuff has been just OK the last couple years, including her last couple Hallmarks. I loved her in Winter Love Story, and I don't think she's regressed as an actor, but maybe the material just isn't as good. Nothing wrong with this one, but not that memorable either.

My first rewatch of the season was Holiday Hotline. I generally watch all these by myself but will rewatch some of the better ones with the wife, and she seemed to like it.
Winter Love Story was indeed great, I had to google, and that is the one where she teams up with Kevin McGarry to promote her book, a rock-solid move.

I am looking forward to Christmas on Cherry Lane, because of the Good Witch reunion of Catherine Bell and James Denton being in the same film. If only this film was somehow connected to The Good Witch films. Still, it should be fun and also stars Erin Cahill, another great Hallmark regular actress.

Holiday Hotline was good, but it helps that I always like it when the lead actress in this film pops up in other Hallmark, or Hallmark type films.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 12-06-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the setting a lot in A Paris Christmas Waltz. Christmas in Paris is always a great romantic setting.
Old 12-07-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lacey crushing the ratings of course.

Hallmark Countdown to Christmas - 2023 Ratings - The TV Ratings Guide

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I loved the setting a lot in A Paris Christmas Waltz. Christmas in Paris is always a great romantic setting.
Yeah, the scenery is reason enough to watch a lot of these.
Old 12-08-23, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 261 Likes on 218 Posts

I am starting to agree with the podcasters I listen to that this year we have only seen a handful of better than average Christmas films. World Record Christmas, Mystic Christmas, Biltmore Christmas, Holiday Hotline, Where are you, Christmas?, and a small number of titles that have slipped my memory at this second. We are in a lull, where most of the films (including those from UP, GAC, and Lifetime) are just meh at best. It is telling that I feel the quality of those Reel One Entertainment produced films I see on Freevee, and Peacock are films I would consider as good as some of the stuff premiering on the Hallmark channels the past couple weekends.

I will say that I miss the continuation of the Kelly Rowland Liddle Family films. Due to the strikes, Merry Liddle Christmas Vacation has been pushed back to 2024. It is noticeable that they are not airing a film such as the Liddle series on Lifetime this year.

For the first time in a long time I am at a point where I will just flat out miss seeing some of the 2023 originals that have aired and will still be airing between now and Christmas. I could blame it on the glut of films, but that is not true. I record most/all the originals airing between Thursday and Monday (Hallmark airs a film on Thursdays), but now if I start it up and I am at least 15-20 minutes into the film and it is not really grabbing my interest, I simply let it run in the background if I really am busy doing something else in my apartment, or I just rely on the rundown of the film from a podcast like Deck The Hallmark to catch me up. It is telling that other than 1 or at most 2 films they have recapped that I did not finish, I have not felt the need to play catch-up.

It has led to some relief on my end, as I am not scrambling as hard as I used to after I have a weekend such as this past one, where I visited my brother's cabin in Oakhurst (near South Gate of Yosemite) for a few days and ended up with a backlog of originals to catch up on. If I just end up deleting some of them because they are just taking up cloud drive space on my DVR, I can live with that.

I used to really go hard at trying to catch every dang film and watch not more than a few days (at most) after it first aired.

I bet a lot of folks are in the same boat I am.

I still love watching these Holiday Originals and just a few posts above this one I noted that I am excited about at least one film airing this weekend, so maybe it was an anomaly that this past weekend I did not feel the urge to catch up on what aired, and as we are about 2 weeks away from Christmas, a potential gem or above average film or two has yet to air this weekend, or the weekend after.
Old 12-08-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the problems is we now have literally hundreds of Christmas films made in the Hallmark mold over the past 5 years. There is only so much you can do with that formula within the confines of 80-90 minutes given television's limited budgets. The budgetary issues are especially noticeable on some of the lesser UP, Lifetime, and Great American films. I saw one Christmas film on UP which had like 40% of the running time take place within an SUV.

Some of my favorites in the past have used "fantastical" premises but those usually cost more.
Old 12-08-23, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watch all the Hallmarks and I watch the GACs with the stars I like. I ignore UP and Lifetime unless someone recommends one. Iíll watch Netflix etc streamers that look interesting. Right now Iím continually trying to clear these movies and football off my DVR.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.