Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

I think if you want to know what other work Hallmark actors do you just do a little research on imdb. It's not difficult.
Old 08-28-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I think if you want to know what other work Hallmark actors do you just do a little research on imdb. It's not difficult.
I use Wikipedia, but it just seemed un-Hallmark not to self-promote to their audience.
Old 09-04-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have an idea when we might see a digital sale of the Hallmark Fall movies on Vudu or Amazon?
Old 09-04-21, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

New releases tend to come out in October, so that could be the next sale as well.
The following users liked this post:
Bluelitespecial (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I hear that this year the Hallmark Channel is going to have a movie that stars a former child sitcom actor that plays some corporate exec type that has to travel to a small town on a business trip. When she first gets there, she has a few passive aggressive verbal exchanges with one of the local handymen while they both try and hide their mutual attraction for each other. Once they acknowledge their attraction for each other, the ex boyfriends shows up in town. Eventually, after talking and wining about her romantic feeling to multiple towns people for about an hour of the movie, the girl will decide to stay in the small town and forego her corporate job and all of luxuries that came with it so she can enjoy the less stressful small town life.
PhantomStranger (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Hollywood is on the verge of using AI-generated text for their screenplays. One of the companies I think could use this tech easily enough would be Hallmark. You feed the computer hundreds of Hallmark screenplays and bam - a cookie-cutter screenplay. I hear it's already happening for many news articles.
Old 09-25-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Watched a few new ones.

Raise a Glass to Love had one of my favorites, Laura Osnes, as a sommelier, so that was kinda interesting and different.

Roadhouse Romance had country singer Lauren Alaina, and while she’s a good singer (I remember her from American Idol, she did a couple songs in the movie, and coincidentally she just released an album , she’s not really an actress. I realize Hallmark’s demographic is to lean heavily into the country-music scene (and this had some bonus military deployment!), but it’s wearing a little thin on me, and this one was just OK. Kinda refreshing to have a heroine who’s not a size 0. (For the record, Osnes also is a singer, which they emphasized in her first movie or two, but she’s a singing stage actress, so it’s a little different.)

Her Pen Pal came out earlier this year, and I liked it quite a bit. Good comedy, Paris setting, chemistry between the leads (both unfamiliar to me).
Old 10-03-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This weekend’s film is Love Strikes Twice, which stars Katie Findlay, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this film. It helps that I am a big fan of Katie Findlay, but the film was also a pleasant watch. I think this film will have a long shelf life on the Hallmark channel.

There is nothing particularly original about the film (woman wakes up from an accidental bump to her head and ends up back in time allowing for a do-over of some key moments in her past), but there was just something about this film that drew me in. I think it is worth a watch.
Old 10-05-21, 03:53 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Good Witch 5 Film (Bundle) - $7.99

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...Bundle-/755145

Good Witch's Garden: Good witch Cassie Nightingale has finally found a home at stately Grey House and a blossoming relationship with handsome police chief Jake Russell when mysterious stranger Nick Chasen arrives.

Good Witch's Destiny: As Cassie's birthday approaches, disturbing parallels are discovered between Cassie and her great aunt, who disappeared years before on her birthday.

Good Witch's Charm: Good witch Cassie Nightingale has her hands full juggling her job as mayor and new motherhood so she is looking forward to a planned family vacation. However, a crime wave in town and a reporter threaten the plans and even cause her to consider stepping down as mayor.

Good Witch's Family: Cassie Nightingale and her family receive a visit from Abigail, a mysterious young woman who claims to be Cassie's cousin after discovering her name on a family tree website.

Good Witch's Wonder: Cassie is helping to plan her stepson's wedding when she takes in a mysterious woman who has drifted into town.
Old 10-12-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fall Harvest Sale is now on Vudu. I haven't decided on what I want yet but I'd Recommend "Love, Fall, and Order" for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Old 10-12-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just watched Sweet Autumn, which was fine, and Love on a Limb and Follow Me to Daisy Hills were about the same. I didn’t care for Falling for Look Lodge, though.

I recently caught up with Sweet Carolina with Lacey Chabert, Sweet Pecan Summer, and Journey of My Heart. The last two had leads who were new to me, cute and WOC. Journey felt like it was working hard to recognize native Alaskan culture, which is a good thing, but the device of “native guide shows city slicker to prized secret location” was just used earlier this year! The dude was also unfamiliar to me, but I’m pretty sure he could make a living as Dwayne Johnson’s voice double,
Old 10-12-21, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally gave "Baby, It's Cold Inside" a watch, I believe it premiered in May. Awesome setting, filming around a hotel made of ice added a truly unique touch for a Hallmark production. Decent story and great location scenery made it a real winner. Starring Jocelyn Hudon, who I hadn't seen before.
davidh777 (10-12-21)
Old 10-17-21, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just watched an older Halloween-themed one called October Kiss with Ashley Williams. Like Sweet Carolina with Lacey Chabert, it uses the theme of “Will these kids ever like me?”, but this one was much lighter than the Chabertt drama. Some good funny moments too.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Finally gave "Baby, It's Cold Inside" a watch, I believe it premiered in May. Awesome setting, filming around a hotel made of ice added a truly unique touch for a Hallmark production. Decent story and great location scenery made it a real winner. Starring Jocelyn Hudon, who I hadn't seen before.
This one has been on my DVR for forever, so you inspired me to watch it, and I liked it. The “villain” in it was pretty… cold.
Old 10-18-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

When do the new Christmas movies start to air?
Old 10-18-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
When do the new Christmas movies start to air?
This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!
Sonny Corinthos (10-19-21)
Old 10-18-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Lol at your reaction David! Yeah, my DVR is about to get really crowded if I do not start watching the Holiday films from Hallmark, UP, and Lifetime almost as fast as they hit the airwaves. It is a good thing that I go into tv film watching mode this time of year, but yes...it will look like rush hour on the streets of Los Angeles when you have up to 5(!!) originals on one weekend. I think at most we will only get 2 Hallmarks (on Sat and Sun, with the exception being the Friday kick-off), at most 2 from Lifetime (I think just Sat and Sun, but I forget if Lifetime likes to mix it up and air original Holiday films on Friday or Mondays), and I could swear we just get 1 Holiday original from UP. So yeah, perhaps there might be a weekend or two where up to 5 films are new to record and that is kind-of nuts.

When it comes to the non-Holiday films I am still having fun watching what airs each Sat/Sun (Sundays for Hallmark Movies & Mysteries films). I already sung the praises of the Katie Findlay film, the UP film Calling for Love just aired and was actually pretty good. Others have mentioned the Hallmark film involving the Pecan farm, which was good and received bonus points for a cast that was a wee bit different than you would normally see in most Hallmark films. I loved that Sweet Pecan Summer starred Christine Ko and the mother I most recently remember from the Disney show Andi Mack.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-18-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-18-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is another. I think the channel is called GAC (which I think stands for Great American Channel or Great American Country) and they are planning to run their own Christmas movies. The one I caught had what appeared to be familiar faces from the Hallmark productions.

Now that the broadcast networks have almost entirely abandoned Christmas programming, cable channels are rushing to fill in the gaps.
Old 10-20-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Lol at your reaction David! Yeah, my DVR is about to get really crowded if I do not start watching the Holiday films from Hallmark, UP, and Lifetime almost as fast as they hit the airwaves. It is a good thing that I go into tv film watching mode this time of year, but yes...it will look like rush hour on the streets of Los Angeles when you have up to 5(!!) originals on one weekend. I think at most we will only get 2 Hallmarks (on Sat and Sun, with the exception being the Friday kick-off), at most 2 from Lifetime (I think just Sat and Sun, but I forget if Lifetime likes to mix it up and air original Holiday films on Friday or Mondays), and I could swear we just get 1 Holiday original from UP. So yeah, perhaps there might be a weekend or two where up to 5 films are new to record and that is kind-of nuts.

When it comes to the non-Holiday films I am still having fun watching what airs each Sat/Sun (Sundays for Hallmark Movies & Mysteries films). I already sung the praises of the Katie Findlay film, the UP film Calling for Love just aired and was actually pretty good. Others have mentioned the Hallmark film involving the Pecan farm, which was good and received bonus points for a cast that was a wee bit different than you would normally see in most Hallmark films. I loved that Sweet Pecan Summer starred Christine Ko and the mother I most recently remember from the Disney show Andi Mack.
Yep, as has been obvious from my watches, I’ve been trying to clear up the DVR before this weekend, plus puck off some off the fall movies I missed. So lots of “Harvest” titles, and lots of Jill Wagner.

Fortunately I’ve found a few on Comcast on Demand, which means no DVR space and fewer commercials to skip through.

Currently watching the new one, Advice to Love By, with Brooks Darnell, who I really liked in A Winter Getaway.

There is another. I think the channel is called GAC (which I think stands for Great American Channel or Great American Country) and they are planning to run their own Christmas movies. The one I caught had what appeared to be familiar faces from the Hallmark productions.

Now that the broadcast networks have almost entirely abandoned Christmas programming, cable channels are rushing to fill in the gaps.
I just looked that up: Great American Country channel, and yeah, Jen Lilley, Jessica Lowndes (not my favorite), and more. I’m going to record the first one and see how it is.
Old 10-24-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tis the season where aspiring fashion designer Lacey Chabert drinks from a finger bowl while queen Jane Seymour gleefully looks on.

Just like Black Friday shopping hours, feels like these Hallmark "Countdown to Christmas" movie premieres begin earlier each year.

Old 10-25-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

We watched Boyfriends of Christmas Past on Saturday. Very good movie. We will most likely watch it several times between now and Christmas.
Old 10-25-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven’t watched the weekend ones yet, but cleared a few more off the DVR.

The 27-Hour Day with Autumn Reeser was pretty good. Taking the Reins with Nikki DeLoach was just ok. It certainly doesn’t help that I have little interest in steeplechase, but the action scenes were about as dull as I’ve seen. Not that Hallmark is known for their sports action, of course. Unusual that the live interest was an ex-spouse rather than an old flame.

In My Dreams was ok, and a little disappointing for a HOF movie. I like Kat McPhee, and the fantasy concept was kind of interesting, but it just fell a bit flat for me.
Old 10-25-21, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think Hallmark should have held off until after Halloween. It just feels too early for Christmas. Last year I was practically burnt out on their movies by the time Christmas actually rolled around.
Old 10-26-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still think Hallmark should have held off until after Halloween. It just feels too early for Christmas. Last year I was practically burnt out on their movies by the time Christmas actually rolled around.
I’m ok with the current schedule. They were only one week ahead of Halloween, and anyone who doesn’t want to start watching yet doesn’t have to. They repeat stuff often enough that you can still catch up later.

I do think it’s their brand to start a little early to get ahead of a lot of other media.
Old 10-26-21, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm excited to see that the Nine Lives of Christmas is getting a sequel.
Old 10-26-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw a commercial of theirs the other day where kids are trick or treating and ring the doorbell. The door opens and the whole house is done up in christmas. The people who answer the door are wearing Hallmark Xmas sweaters and the tagline was something like "this is how we do halloween".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.