Reload this Page >

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Old 12-28-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Has anyone watched the Hallmark series When Calls the Heart? As far as series from Hallmark goes I really like Signed Sealed Delivered the tv show and the movies. I was think of checking out my local library to see if the DVDs of When Calls the Heart are available.
Old 12-28-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 285 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Has anyone watched the Hallmark series When Calls the Heart? As far as series from Hallmark goes I really like Signed Sealed Delivered the tv show and the movies. I was think of checking out my local library to see if the DVDs of When Calls the Heart are available.
It is a bit awkward to admit this but I guess I am a Heartie because I have seen all the episodes/movies (usually extended episodes) of When Calls The Heart. It helps that I am a big fan of Erin Krakow's Hallmark work in the films she has starred in.

The show is perfect to watch with the family and at times has some nice tense moments (like the scene where a robbery is foiled...not sure which season that happened in but it was part of a larger story line that more or less worked). Nothing I just revealed will spoil things for you...as a dude who watches the show I say go for it.
Old 12-28-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really have enjoyed the Erin Krakow movies I have seen which made me kind of curious about When Calls the Heart. I'll probably check for the dvds at my local library. I'm a little confused by the movie collection dvd sets, are they seasons sets but is each movie a double episode?
Old 12-28-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Before Rocky Mountain Christmas aired, I watched a couple of older Lindy Booth movies (Christmas Magic, The Sound of Christmas). Then I watched one of the 99-cent Lifetime movies that were on sale at Amazon (Twelve Trees of Christmas). I picked it because it also had Lindy Booth, and it turns out it also has the same male lead as Sound of Christmas.
Old 12-28-17, 05:53 PM

Received 523 Likes on 375 Posts

I haven't seen it. But you can watch Seasons 1-4 on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80036407
Old 12-28-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
It is a bit awkward to admit this but I guess I am a Heartie because I have seen all the episodes/movies (usually extended episodes) of When Calls The Heart. It helps that I am a big fan of Erin Krakow's Hallmark work in the films she has starred in.

The show is perfect to watch with the family and at times has some nice tense moments (like the scene where a robbery is foiled...not sure which season that happened in but it was part of a larger story line that more or less worked). Nothing I just revealed will spoil things for you...as a dude who watches the show I say go for it.
Speaking of Erin Krakow I finished watching her new movie, Engaging Father Christmas.It was interesting for a Hallmark movie in that there was little romantic tension, as her character was already in a committed relationship when the film starts. The drama came from her hiding a family secret about her past from someone stalking her. It's enjoyable because the cast is excellent and Erin Krakow delivers as lead.

I also will speak up for When Calls the Heart. If you enjoy Hallmark productions, it's a decent family series with strong leads. You probably have to enjoy the period it's set in.
Old 12-29-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Jill Wagner vehicle, the awkwardly titled "Karen Kingsbury's Maggie's Christmas Miracle," offers a sweet if hamhanded plot about a lawyer with a child afraid of getting back into romance.

It's always interesting to see which male lead is paired with the female star, because most of the time the romantic male lead is decided by the female star in these Hallmark productions. It's one of the leads from Killjoys on Syfy, though he's appeared before in Christmas movies. They pair up well as a romantic couple in the movie.
Old 12-31-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christmas Connection is an incredibly sweet movie. The plot gets a little unbelievable near the end, but that just comes with the territory. A journalist and airline attendant fall in love when she gets stuck in Chicago. The third lead character is an adorable eight-year-old, the kid is perfect in the role.
Old 12-31-17, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Christmas Connection is an incredibly sweet movie. The plot gets a little unbelievable near the end, but that just comes with the territory. A journalist and airline attendant fall in love when she gets stuck in Chicago. The third lead character is an adorable eight-year-old, the kid is perfect in the role.
I agree. I really enjoyed that movie. And the little kid was great.

They do a pretty good job of selecting child actors and writing young characters that aren't annoying. There's only been one kid that I hated. My Christmas Dream with Danica McKellar. The little boy in that movie grated my nerves. I was hoping someone would lock him in the closet for the rest of the movie.
Old 12-31-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts

The Jill Wagner vehicle, the awkwardly titled "Karen Kingsbury's Maggie's Christmas Miracle," offers a sweet if hamhanded plot about a lawyer with a child afraid of getting back into romance.
Sponsored by Ruth's Chris Steak House
Old 01-01-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Romance At Reindeer Lodge - This is a fantastic Christmas movie with strong casting, despite a little clumsiness in the final act's romantic arc and an underwritten male lead's character development. I loved the isolated Vermont setting and story. I plan to buy this movie once it becomes available.

Christmas Encore - A struggling actress tries out for a local theater production. I generally look for things to like about these Hallmark Christmas movies but I didn't enjoy this one at all. This script was clearly written without Christmas elements and then repurposed at the last minute.
Old 01-01-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With Love, Christmas - A weak Christmas movie about a potential office romance involving a Secret Santa. There is little chemistry between the leads, which I'll blame solely on the stiff male lead. There is no believable reason for the woman to fall in love with him.
Old 01-02-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Bramble House Christmas - This is one of those touching Hallmark productions for an emotional reveal in the plot I won't spoil. I didn't think I would like this movie based on the initial scenario that gets it started - a man investigates a single mother that has mysteriously inherited $100,000 from his estranged father's estate. The kid is a little annoying at first but sees less and less screen time. The leads are nicely paired and there are a couple of different supporting characters with their own interesting storylines.
Old 01-03-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since Saturday is the premiere of Hallmark's Winterfest movies. I wouldn't mind seeing this new movie, maybe I can find it on youtube. Katrina Bowden looks like some good new blood for Hallmark movies.

NYC-based copy editor, Alex, is sent to Ridgeline Resort, an extreme sports outpost, to write a story for a travel writing competition. At first, she fails at everything – much to the chagrin of Cole, an extreme sports enthusiast who thinks this city girl should head back to New York. But when Alex offers to assist Cole with his local arts festival, he reluctantly obliges to be her guide as she faces her fears doing one extreme sport after the next. Stars Katrina Bowden and Thomas Beaudoin.
Old 01-04-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Katrina has been toiling in Lifetime movies of late.
Old 01-04-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 285 Likes on 237 Posts

I know I keep crossing the streams by talking about Lifetime films in the Hallmark thread, but this year Lifetime really delivered, and their trick to get folks to watch each Christmas film twice by putting out a Director's Cut that actually enhanced the movie...mission accomplished. As it is, Snowed Inn Christmas has become an instant classic I will watch every year much like I do with Hallmark's wonderful Trading Christmas (which is a DVD Talk favorite).

Snowed Inn has a solid number on IMDB and some nice reviews.

Also, I am so happy, happy that Hallmark Originals continue starting this Saturday, because as far as I am concerned they can produce hundreds of original films and I will try to watch them all.
Old 01-04-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do mean there is a director’s cut? Did they show their movies cut down on tv, than longer versions were available online to view or purchase?
Old 01-04-18, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I know I keep crossing the streams by talking about Lifetime films in the Hallmark thread, but this year Lifetime really delivered....
I think my favorite "first time watch" this year was a Lifetime flick from 2015 called A Gift Wrapped Christmas. It was a really charming movie and the lead actress was fantastic. That one's definitely going on my annual list.

Snowed Inn Christmas has become an instant classic I will watch every year
I agree. I wish I could spend Christmas in a bed & breakfast like that. But I guess watching the movie every year will have to do.
Old 01-05-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What do mean there is a director’s cut? Did they show their movies cut down on tv, than longer versions were available online to view or purchase?
They first air the movie in a normal two-hour slot and then the next day/week they air a slightly longer, less cut version that runs over the normal two-hour slot. It's a marketing gimmick.

Christmas Festival of Ice - I really wanted to like this 2017 Christmas movie because Taylor Cole stars and she remains the classiest thing about it, but it just didn't hit home with me. This is about the least romantic Christmas movie of Hallmark's new 2017 slate, with a completely underwhelming romance that is barely acknowledged until a kiss comes out of nowhere at the end. The leads share little romantic chemistry and it's played like a friendship for most of the movie.

The story is more about Taylor's character yearning to leave the legal profession to become an ice sculptor. Why I didn't like it is that the Christmas angle feels tacked on and unnecessary to the central drama. This script feels like a random winter movie that Hallmark decided to make into a Christmas movie.
Old 01-05-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Romance At Reindeer Lodge - This is a fantastic Christmas movie with strong casting, despite a little clumsiness in the final act's romantic arc and an underwritten male lead's character development. I loved the isolated Vermont setting and story. I plan to buy this movie once it becomes available.

Christmas Encore - A struggling actress tries out for a local theater production. I generally look for things to like about these Hallmark Christmas movies but I didn't enjoy this one at all. This script was clearly written without Christmas elements and then repurposed at the last minute.
Sorry I missed Reindeer Lodge. I watched Mistletoe Inn, which sounds similar, but is a comedy with Alicia Witt and was OK.

I thought Christmas Encore was pretty good and didn't notice the repurposing. The play WAS A Christmas Carol, though.

A Bramble House Christmas - This is one of those touching Hallmark productions for an emotional reveal in the plot I won't spoil. I didn't think I would like this movie based on the initial scenario that gets it started - a man investigates a single mother that has mysteriously inherited $100,000 from his estranged father's estate. The kid is a little annoying at first but sees less and less screen time. The leads are nicely paired and there are a couple of different supporting characters with their own interesting storylines.
I thought this was one of the better ones in the new crop.
Old 01-05-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
Sorry I missed Reindeer Lodge. I watched Mistletoe Inn, which sounds similar, but is a comedy with Alicia Witt and was OK.

I thought Christmas Encore was pretty good and didn't notice the repurposing. The play WAS A Christmas Carol, though.
I suspect the original script for Christmas Encore had the actress starring in a different, non-Christmas, play. They even had to have her play a female Scrooge to make it work.

Hallmark goes through dozens of romantic scripts each year since they make so many of these movies. Some of the better ones are taken and re-fitted for Christmas with minor changes.

I'm fairly sure the bigger names like Alicia Witt and Lacey Chabert pick the scripts for their own Hallmark projects.
Old 01-05-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think my favorite "first time watch" this year was a Lifetime flick from 2015 called A Gift Wrapped Christmas. It was a really charming movie and the lead actress was fantastic. That one's definitely going on my annual list.
It's one of my favorites as well. Meredith Hagner was great in it, and the kid was cute. When Amazon had their .99 digital sale, I had to grab that one.
Old 02-03-18, 02:29 PM

There's a new Lacey Chabert movie tonight. My Secret Valentine premieres at 9pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/my-secret-valentine

A young woman takes advice from the chalkboard notes that her mysterious house rental tenant leaves when a slick sales rep arrives with plans to buy her family’s prized winery. Starring Lacey Chabert and Andrew Walker.
Old 02-03-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the Love on the Slopes movie as Katrina Bowden is some good new blood for these movies. I wonder how many Lacey has done at this point? I got the Snowed In Christmas off of Vudu with Andrew Walker and Bethany Jony Lenz from one tree hill, it was quite good and felt very Christmas like beyond just being a romance movie.
Old 02-03-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 829 Likes on 611 Posts

I don't usually watch Hallmark Movies, but I watched One Winter Weekend with Taylor Cole a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.