Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 01:24 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Originally Posted by DJariya
If so, Why don't you subscribe to Hallmark's streaming channel Feeln?

https://www.feeln.com/prices-membership

It's only $6/month and most of Hallmark's Christmas movies are on there. New and Old.
Feeln is a great streaming service this time of year. They have a lot of Christmas movies. Mostly made-for-TV stuff.

They don't have any of the recent Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. But they have a lot of the "classic" Hallmark movies that are playing on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel. Some of my annual favorites like:

Angels Sing (Harry Connick Jr, Connie Britton, Willie Nelson)
Silver Bells (Anne Heche, Tate Donovan)
A Season for Miracles (Carla Gugino)
Fallen Angel (Gary Sinise, Joely Richardson)
November Christmas (John Corbett, Sam Elliott)
A Dog Named Christmas
Christmas in Conway (Andy Garcia, Mary-Louise Parker)
One Christmas Eve (Anne Heche)
Christmas with Holly (Eloise Mumford)
A Christmas Visitor (William Devane, Meredith Baxter)
The Christmas Card
The Christmas Blessing (Neil Patrick Harris, Rebecca Gayheart)

I usually DVR and watch these movies every year, so it's great to have them ready to stream (with no commercials).
Old 12-06-16, 01:50 AM

Angels Sing (2013) has become one of my favorite movies. It has an excellent cast and some great holiday music. If you haven't seen it yet, you should definitely check it out.

It'll be playing on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries this Friday at 3pm.

It's available for streaming at Feeln, or you can buy it at Amazon Video for $6.99 (HD). It also usually shows up in Vudu's annual Christmas sale.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_4LG9YUTfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-06-16 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-06-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Feeln is a great streaming service this time of year. They have a lot of Christmas movies. Mostly made-for-TV stuff.

They don't have any of the recent Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. But they have a lot of the "classic" Hallmark movies that are playing on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel. Some of my annual favorites like:

Angels Sing (Harry Connick Jr, Connie Britton, Willie Nelson)
Silver Bells (Anne Heche, Tate Donovan)
A Season for Miracles (Carla Gugino)
Fallen Angel (Gary Sinise, Joely Richardson)
November Christmas (John Corbett, Sam Elliott)
A Dog Named Christmas
Christmas in Conway (Andy Garcia, Mary-Louise Parker)
One Christmas Eve (Anne Heche)
Christmas with Holly (Eloise Mumford)
A Christmas Visitor (William Devane, Meredith Baxter)
The Christmas Card
The Christmas Blessing (Neil Patrick Harris, Rebecca Gayheart)

I usually DVR and watch these movies every year, so it's great to have them ready to stream (with no commercials).
great list, thankyou! I recorded them all, all of them but Dog Name is upcoming...
Old 12-06-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Christmas Cookies is worth watching just to see all the delicious-looking cookies and gingerbread men.
Old 12-07-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Tonight's new movie on the Hallmark Channel is My Christmas Dream at 8pm. It replays Sunday at 2pm and Thursday at 10pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/my-christmas-dream

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K8cYTqXPbPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I watched this the other day. McKellar was good, but it was otherwise not so good. Very formulaic, and not much chemistry between the leads.
Old 12-07-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a head's up, FYI has gotten into the act of airing Christmas movies. I saw a couple on there last night.
Old 12-09-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched a pretty old one called A Season For Miracles (1999) with a gorgeous young Carla Gugino as the lead. And a very young Mae Whitman ('Ann' from Arrested Development. "Her?")
There were several other 'name' actors in supporting roles (Laura Dern, Patty Duke, Kathy Baker, Lynn Redgrave).

I liked it. The acting and overall production was better than average for these movies.
Old 12-09-16, 02:17 AM

Hallmark Christmas movies are on sale for $4.99 each at Vudu.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#featured...n-to-Christmas
Old 12-09-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I was waiting for that sale since I started using Vudu. I got Charming Christmas and The Best Christmas Party Ever. You can't beat that price for the HD versions of these movies. Btw, I am still waiting on a reply back on the Wrong digital copy code I got for A Wish for Christmas, I sent them everything they wanted to try and fix the problem, but they havent gotten back to me yet.
Old 12-09-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I was waiting for that sale since I started using Vudu. I got Charming Christmas and The Best Christmas Party Ever. You can't beat that price for the HD versions of these movies. Btw, I am still waiting on a reply back on the Wrong digital copy code I got for A Wish for Christmas, I sent them everything they wanted to try and fix the problem, but they havent gotten back to me yet.
VUDU's customer service is notoriously slow and unresponsive. They used to have a guy hanging around their forums that would fix problems but I think that way ended.
Old 12-09-16, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Btw, I am still waiting on a reply back on the Wrong digital copy code I got for A Wish for Christmas, I sent them everything they wanted to try and fix the problem, but they havent gotten back to me yet.
I run into that problem all the time. Vudu replies to your first email asking for additional information, then when you respond they never follow-up.

The best way to fix problems at Vudu is to call their customer service line. They're usually quick and courteous.

(888) 554-VUDU (8838)
Old 12-10-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dashing Through the Snow, with Meghan Ory: Ory was adorable and the storyline was okay, but the male lead was pretty bland and I didn't see any reason why Ory's character would fall in love with him. Even the little montage where she was remembering their trip together was mostly him frowning or looking like a block of wood. The FBI side story was amusing, but the payoff for it wasn't very good. The ending felt rushed.

A Snow Globe Christmas, with Alicia Witt and Donald Faison: Not that good. The story didn't grab me at all--in fact it was kind of boring. Faison was a nice change from the bland actors who usually play the male leads in these movies, but I didn't feel like he and Witt had any chemistry.
Old 12-10-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight on Hallmark is A Nutcracker Christmas, with Amy Acker.
Old 12-12-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A Dream of Christmas was entertaining. I think it's a new movie. A woman glibly tosses out a comment she wished she wasn't married and an angel happens to be standing by, granting her wish. It's not a concept I generally endorse or like, but they made the wife more likable than usual in the scenario.

I got suckered into watching A Christmas Mystery on ION. It's not a Christmas story at all and the only holiday sighting is a small tree in the background. I realized this about an hour into the plot. It's not a terrible movie or anything, but mostly a warmed-over mystery they might have had on Murder She Wrote. It does star one of the actresses from The Magicians, which is why I gave it so much rope.
Old 12-12-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Loved Nutcracker Christmas.

Moving story with the Christmas setting. Plus I thought Amy Acker gave an emotional and beautiful performance as a young dancer who's life is turned upside down after the death of her sister.

I thought this was one of the stronger Hallmark movies that didn't rely on the cheese factor.
Old 12-12-16, 02:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Finally watched Trading Christmas and loved it.
Old 12-13-16, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Tonight on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, the new movie premiere is Love Always, Santa at 9:00 PM.

http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysterie...e-always-santa

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdzB_VB2R0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Love Always, Santa - starring Marguerite Moreau. Pretty good. I've always had a thing for Moreau. The male lead was good and his publisher (or agent?) friend was funny. The kid was cute.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Love Always, Santa is a sweet movie. It clips along at a swift pace and the likable cast delivers, including the little girl. It balances the romance with Christmas themes very well.
I've only seen a handful of Hallmarks, but was looking for something new and tried watching the two channels. I'm not familiar with Moreau, but I liked this movie quite a bit.
Old 12-13-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Moreau is probably best known for being the girl hockey player in the Mighty Ducks movies, and for being in the movie Wet Hot American Summer.
Old 12-13-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't seen those, but maybe I should.
Old 12-16-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just watched last week's new title, Sound of Christmas. Completely predictable plot arc, but still charming and watchable. I don't watch The Librarians so I was unfamiliar with Lindy Booth.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qb-R8U9AMlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-16-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I haven't seen those, but maybe I should.
And the indie film Easy if ya wanna see, um, Marguerite's Moreaus
Old 12-16-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Tonight on Hallmark is A Nutcracker Christmas, with Amy Acker.
This is the first Amy Acker project in many years that didn't fully work for me. I guess they wanted to cast a male lead with dance experience but Amy didn't have any romantic chemistry with him at all. That wasn't the dealbreaker but their romance fell flat.

The story wasn't bad, I just didn't think it was all there emotionally in the second half. Sympathy for Amy's character was undercut by her brutally dumping her boyfriend in the first place.
Old 12-17-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today I watched Operation Christmas, starring Tricia Helfer. It was really good. A good reminder of the sacrifices made by military families--especially at this time of year, but with an uplifting outlook. Helfer is excellent, as always. She really does a great job showing the conflicted feelings of her character. This is her best Christmas movie.

Old 12-17-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the first Amy Acker project in many years that didn't fully work for me. I guess they wanted to cast a male lead with dance experience but Amy didn't have any romantic chemistry with him at all. That wasn't the dealbreaker but their romance fell flat.

The story wasn't bad, I just didn't think it was all there emotionally in the second half. Sympathy for Amy's character was undercut by her brutally dumping her boyfriend in the first place.
I just watched an older Acker film, Dear Santa, and liked it, though there was a bit of character undercutting there as well.

I've watched like five of these this season, and Dear Santa had both the "Santa letter writing" and "threatened community service" devices that were used in two of the other movies.

Originally Posted by Paff
And the indie film Easy if ya wanna see, um, Marguerite's Moreaus
You guys are terrible!

*adds title to watch queue*

Last edited by davidh777; 12-20-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
You guys are terrible!

*adds title to watch queue*
Hey, we're even. As a fan of Marguerite, I'll probably watch this sappy Christmas movie based on your recommendation.

Our local minor league hockey team was a Mighty Ducks of Anaheim affiliate (before they became just the Ducks), so when the second film in the series was released, she came down for a promotional gig and also to take a penalty shot on our mascot in between periods. So that's where I first saw her. My favorite part about her in the Ducks movies is how in the first film, she's this gangly tall girl who's way bigger than her teammates, but by the third film, she's now this petite girl dwarfed by the same male co-stars. Shows you how the growth spurts happen so differently for boys and girls.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.