TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons of Anarchy (S7E13) - Series Finale - "Papa's Goods" - 12/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Re: Sons of Anarchy (S7E13) - Series Finale - "Papa's Goods" - 12/9/14

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty good final episode. I looked at Jax's final killing spree and suicide at the end was his last gift to his sons so they won't have to live in his shadow anymore. Basically the Teller family is now starting from scratch. But Jesus, talk about Jax being a drama queen for his last hoorah. Big car chase and then riding into Vic Mackey's truck. at the ending with the bread and blood.

One thing I'm curious about, why did Jax murder Weller's character? I tbought he was a friend to the MC.
He was the rat.
Old 12-10-14, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was expecting a Thelma & Louise ending for Jax, I would have liked it much better if he had been hemmed in front & back by police & then jumped a barbed-wire fence on his bike.

Then he could eventually laid the bike down, gotten tangled up in the fence, been surrounded by a hundred cops & told that he was under arrest for not wearing a helmet.

In the final shot, Chibs' girl and/or the black detective could have been walking away from his cell until stopping at the sound of a tennis ball being repeatedly thrown against the wall.

Would have been much better if Chiklis had been wearing a Bugs Bunny mask while sighing until he spotted the flashing lights and yelled. Then Venus's head could have popped up from his lap to peer above the dashboard.

Kinda disappointed that Sutter didn't go whole-hog symbolic and flash forward to Abel riding back into Charming about 14 years later wearing a cut and Papa's rings (the ones he was fingering in the back seat). Since Sutter wasn't holding back on the obvious, figured that scene got shot but edited out so that they could get their full money's worth for the rights to the opening Springsteen/E-Street song.

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-10-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:22 AM
Banned

Inquiring minds want to know: What were the crows saying to each other at the end?

Why wasn't the AfterShow conducted in front of a live audience instead of being in a hermetic environment with the "live audience" kept outside to be interviewed by Chucky? Or were they finally allowed to actually be in the presence of the gang (had to change channels due to the disorganized, chummy feel of the entire thing...seemed that we were eavesdropping more on an informal wrap party type of reunion rather than having something designed with fans in mind. So much so, in fact, that Sutter just ignored one fan's question to comment on "Chucky's" new look and then apparently forgot the fan's question for a moment. Lots of awkward pauses, rambling, random silliness from cast, etc. The whole vibe felt like an insular type of thing that was meant for the cast and not an audience. Talking Dead (with its own flaws) has a much better sense of appreciation for the fans & appealing to them. Not too interested in Bastard Executioner.

Sutter was much better as Otto than as a host of a (non-) event like this.

It was funny hearing Sutter's non-explanation about the homeless lady (my prediction about the Log Lady appearing wasn't as far off as I thought) when he said that he just wanted to leave some mysteries up to the viewers to attach their own meanings. Thanks, Kurt, for supplying that convenient explanation for ALL the incongruous & implausible events over the past seven seasons. "What inconsistencies? We were just intentionally leaving a lot of things fuzzy for the sake of the viewers to allow the show to breathe."

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-10-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:39 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

jesus christ was there no "jesus christ!" exclamations? lots of "brotha" and "i love you" but can't remember a "jesus christ". anyone have the will power to trudge through that to verify?

see y'all in the Justified final season threads.
Old 12-10-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chiklis almost let out a "Jesus Christ".

This ep. had many LOL moments: the DA's facial expressions as she put 2 and 2 together on Jax's plans, that horrible car chase, the bird's (crows) eye view of Jax running from the cops, and the ass/face grinding. Wow.

For a minute there, I thought the Sons were gonna burn the tats of Jax and he was gonna roam the country or meet up with Nero. I think I was hoping for anything other than the obvious conclusion we got.
Old 12-10-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From reddit

Nero and Wendy start raising sheep on the farm... Launches "Mano" His own line of organic wool cardigans for the modern upscale urban gentleman
Old 12-10-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I kept expecting Nero to do something to Wendy and the kids as a result of what Jax did to his mother. Nero was an interesting character with a backstory that was never really touched on, so you never knew what he was capable of. Of course, it went to waste. Maybe that is prequel material. Smits is a hell of an actor so I welcome it.

You know what makes no sense. If Jax was going to off himself anyway, why kill Unser? He could have cleaned up the mess first and then taken care of his mother. Unser taking him out would have been a better ending as the entire show revolved around Unser's dual morality between the police and the club.
Old 12-10-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mother-fucker.... The one bit I wanted was never even addressed. What they hell was going on with Jax's leg? My guess is they had a scene last episode where Jax stepped on a nail but they cut it because they wanted to work in another music video.

I wish Jax got away, grew a beard, and headed off to the woods to live like a hermit so people around him would stop getting killed. He then gets a job in a lumber yard and they cut to woodland-Dexter handing him a hard hat and says "Here... we can't have anything bad happening to you."
Old 12-10-14, 02:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so is Nero's kid still waiting at his school waiting to get picked up to go to the ranch?
Old 12-10-14, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
so is Nero's kid still waiting at his school waiting to get picked up to go to the ranch?
Whose kids are more important here huh?
Old 12-10-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nero had a kid?... lol
Old 12-10-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to get alcohol poisoning, rewatch the episode and take a shot everytime there's a loud, leather-smacking man hug.
Old 12-10-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FYI - FX is showing last season's Justified late Wed nights (or more like early Thurs am). Looks like 2-3 shows each week.

Sorry for the offtopic, but it seems like this crowd overlaps with that show quite a bit so I thought I'd post here.
Old 12-10-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would of been better if at the very end Jax whispered "Jesus Christ" at the same time Chiklis did while "Jesus Christ Pose" was playing in the background. But I guess that would of been too subtle for Sutter.

It's finally fucking over! Jesus Christ!

The sad thing is, even though I hate watched this show for at least the last 3 seasons, I'd still watch another show from Sutter. What the hell is wrong with me?
Old 12-10-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty good final episode. [...]

One thing I'm curious about, why did Jax murder Weller's character? I tbought he was a friend to the MC.
No wonder you liked it. You weren't even watching!
Old 12-10-14, 07:11 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
It's finally fucking over! Jesus Christ!

The sad thing is, even though I hate watched this show for at least the last 3 seasons, I'd still watch another show from Sutter. What the hell is wrong with me?
Prepare yourself -- bastard executioner
Old 12-10-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

His wife is signed on to make an appearance. Maybe she can be his first beheading.
Old 12-10-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Did anyone watch the After Show? I know it aired at almost Midnight ET, so probably not many of you watched it live.

Kurt Sutter hosted again. I at how hammered he was. He mumbled a lot. I thought it was pretty insightful in some respects & had some good interviews with some current and former cast members. I liked seeing Shawn Ryan from The Shield appear on tape talking about Sutter. But, there was a lot of self praise from Sutter and Hunnam, who pretty much talked to each other the entire hour. They did bring in some other members of the cast later on like Jimmy Smits, Drea and Dayton towards the end. Katey, Theo Rossi, Flanagan and Kim Coates weren't there.

and wow, the show actually ended on time. The toast at the end was a nice touch.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-10-14, 08:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the finale of this show should have been Jax v Clay. That's what it was always about. They killed off Clay too soon, or, to be more truthful, the show was drawn out way too long.

This particular ending was ridiculous even by Sutter's standards. The symbolism was about as subtle and nuanced as a jackhammer up your asshole.

Quite frankly I lost track of the rationale behind these characters actions seasons ago. I didn't know why they were motivated to do what they were doing, and quite frankly I didn't care. I hate watched more seasons than I enjoyed, and it ended with a whimper of a fart, leaving a shit stain on my sofa.
Old 12-10-14, 09:22 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
the finale of this show should have been Jax v Clay. That's what it was always about. They killed off Clay too soon, or, to be more truthful, the show was drawn out way too long.

This particular ending was ridiculous even by Sutter's standards. The symbolism was about as subtle and nuanced as a jackhammer up your asshole.

Quite frankly I lost track of the rationale behind these characters actions seasons ago. I didn't know why they were motivated to do what they were doing, and quite frankly I didn't care. I hate watched more seasons than I enjoyed, and it ended with a whimper of a fart, leaving a shit stain on my sofa.
Jax should've killed Clay in Season 4 in the hospital when he held the knife to his throat. They could've done the Tara/Gemma stuff in that same season culminating in Tara/Clay dying in the same episode. Opie could've died in beginning Season 5 as he did. Pope could've been the scapecoat for Tara. Did not need 7 seasons.
Old 12-10-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Jax should've killed Clay in Season 4 in the hospital when he held the knife to his throat. They could've done the Tara/Gemma stuff in that same season culminating in Tara/Clay dying in the same episode. Opie could've died in beginning Season 5 as he did. Pope could've been the scapecoat for Tara. Did not need 7 seasons.
Good episode overall I guess. It was a little disappointing and unsatisfying though as a series finale. They can't all be Breaking Bad.

The thing I hated the most was stealing the final scene from one of my all time favorite movies; George Romero's Knightriders.
Old 12-10-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I must be in the minority cause I thought that was an awesome finale. I've got no issues with it at all.
Old 12-11-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by nasesco417
Whose kids are more important here huh?
I was still waiting to see what happened to Opie's kids...

Seriously though, the worst thing about this finale was that it was so boring. Blech! Good fucking riddance. At least now I know to stay the hell away from Sutter's next show. What a fucking hack.
Old 12-11-14, 03:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fandango
From reddit

Nero and Wendy start raising sheep on the farm... Launches "Mano" His own line of organic wool cardigans for the modern upscale urban gentleman
I could see Nero doing a variation of "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercials.

Originally Posted by TGM
The symbolism was about as subtle and nuanced as a jackhammer up your asshole.
Nice shout-out to Juice. Or to Marilyn Manson.

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The thing I hated the most was stealing the final scene from one of my all time favorite movies; George Romero's Knightriders.
Gee, thanks, Dep. Grinch, for spoiling the upcoming re-watch of Knightriders on blu-ray. Haven't seen it since the 80's on VHS and only remembered the basic premise...until NOW. Merry Christmas to you, too!
Old 12-11-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I was still waiting to see what happened to Opie's kids...

Seriously though, the worst thing about this finale was that it was so boring. Blech! Good fucking riddance. At least now I know to stay the hell away from Sutter's next show. What a fucking hack.
All of this. I know The Shield has set the bar so high for finales for me, but this was a joke. The whole season was a joke. All these extended episodes just to show Jax going on a rampage and being an asshole. I already knew that

I guess Charming will be OK with every gang except SAMCRO dead.

I would have much preferred a pissed off SAMCRO execute Jax for everything he did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.