TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park (S18E09) -- "#REHASH" -- 12/03/14

Old 12-04-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
South Park (S18E09) -- "#REHASH" -- 12/03/14

Part one, I guess.

Surprised no thread on this yet.
Interesting that there are no "comments" yet, on an episode about commenting on things...

Anyways, just like this whole season so far, hilarious episode and I fucking lost it when Randy started rubbing his clit.
Old 12-04-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: South Park (S18E09) -- "#REHASH" -- 12/03/14

I didn't have time to start a thread last night.

Still haven't watched it yet, but if Randy is in it then I already know its gold. This has been the best consistent season of the show in years.
Old 12-04-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't really care for this one very much.
Old 12-04-14, 11:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

The dinner conversation at the Marsh house after the concert was hilarious.

Loved the conversation between the guy on the bus and the Michael Jackson hologram
Old 12-05-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they really need to get lorde to do a real cameo.
Old 12-05-14, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 555 Likes on 479 Posts

I thought this episode was another winner. I've liked the little nods to continuity across the season.
Old 12-05-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I thought this episode was another winner. I've liked the little nods to continuity across the season.
This.
Old 12-05-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed the Randy/Lorde and Jackson parts. The Pewdiepie/Let's Play part wasn't that great, and that's coming from someone who regularly watches Let's Plays and Twitch, although not the Pewdiepie style.
Old 12-05-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I couldn't get into the episode. I don't think I laughed out loud at anything which is very rare for South Park.
Old 12-05-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 517 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
I couldn't get into the episode. Just about everything fell flat to me, including Randy as Lorde.
Yeah, same here. Far from the worst episode but my least favorite from this season. I liked the idea of having the kids be the "old folks" compared to Ike but the subject matter and execution wasn't great, IMO.
Old 12-05-14, 11:32 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I was dying watching this one. My step-son does exactly as Ike and the kids do. They absolutely hit the nail on the head.

As usual, Randy was gold.
Old 12-05-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeah, this was fantastic. Randy diddling his bean as Lorde made me fucking lose it.
Old 12-05-14, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I was dying watching this one. My step-son does exactly as Ike and the kids do. They absolutely hit the nail on the head.

As usual, Randy was gold.
What the what the? More than this episode, I'm utterly shocked by all these stories about how every kid is watching this. Insane.

I saw the episode - I was *completely* convinced this PewdiePie was a Matt&Trey creation... and I'm a gamer, same as everyone my age (30).

When I Googled to confirm it was a joke... yeah. I got the shock of my life.

Honestly? I suspect a lot of it has to do with skill - we were brought up on *hard* games. Crap, I did my once every five year replay of TLoZ, Link's Adventure, etc. just last month - hard! Man were they difficult games, and they were easy compared to some others. To imagine I beat those at age six or seven, tops?

Then, go play Skyward Sword. I don't think it's possible to die once unless you fall asleep playing. Or Assassin's Creed: Unity? Holy crap - I'm playing it now. The five star difficulty missions? I could sleep through and beat. The one-star? A freaking dog could put a controller in its mouth and finish them.

Then, toss kiddies playing those into Evil Within, or Forbidden Siren, or any number of truly difficult games of today? They're clueless.

So yeah, that's my theory on this.

Also, great episode... continuity this year rocks. Loved how she said, "At least it isn't cock magic" when confronting her husband performing live as "Lorde." Just awesome, all around.

Michael Jackson on the bus? This might have been one of the weaker eps this season, but that was by far the best scene outside of Cock Magic.
Old 12-05-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of LPers gain an audience because they show skill or creativity in a game, but for guys like Pewdiepie it's all about the persona he puts on. Also, a lot of kids today grow up watching their parents, older siblings and friends play video games so the idea of being entertained watching someone play a game isn't unusual.
Old 12-05-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 555 Likes on 479 Posts

Watching someone else play a videogame via YouTube clips or whatever is completely alien to me. The Millennials continue to sink our culture in new and unexpected ways.
Old 12-05-14, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
A lot of LPers gain an audience because they show skill or creativity in a game, but for guys like Pewdiepie it's all about the persona he puts on. Also, a lot of kids today grow up watching their parents, older siblings and friends play video games so the idea of being entertained watching someone play a game isn't unusual.
Definitely something I'll *never* comprehend. The few times I've been in such circumstances as having folks sitting around gaming, and not enough controllers/single player? It drove me freaking nuts. Either I want to play it, or do it when you're not with people/I'm not around.

I'd say perhaps it's different today wherein cutscenes/story takes up more time, but it doesn't matter - if you're sitting around having a blast playing, then why wouldn't *I* want to play... instead of watching you. I know a couple times an old girlfriend was deep into Final Fantasy 12 while we were dating. I found myself going, "Don't miss that item!" "Use that spell!" "Go over there!!!"

Maybe that says something about me personally, (and not necessarily a good thing, either) but c'est la vie, as they say. Actually going out searching for watching someone play a game, and you're not even with them as they play? Bonkers! Commentary? God Himself could play Assassin's Creed: Unity, offering up further Truth and prophecies as He did so, and I'd *still* have a hard time watching the video.

I dunno, this entire concept is just blowing my freaking mind. To see the most obscure of those PuddyPie (or whatever the hell he calls himself) videos gets millions of views in short weeks? Mind. Blown. *kapow* (blood&brain splatter) it's why I figured the whole thing was another SP joke ala Cock Magic - until yesterday, I had no bloody clue whatsoever that this "trend" even existed, period. Never heard about video game commentary videos, and I'm sorry I ever had to.

Watching the sort of pathetic joke PuddyPie amounts to? I weep for the future of our species. You've got radicalized ISIL-like nuts on one end, and PuddyPie fans on the other of the spectrum. In the one single example I tried watching? The loser does an entirely staged, fake scream of terror upon dying stupidly (and not in a survival horror, but a multiplayer FPS) - then spent 90 seconds repeating that scream continuously amid flashing/changing colors on the video. For an irrefutably fake act. And 3 million views for that video alone.

I. Weep.
Old 12-05-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 385 Likes on 315 Posts

That's crazy and I weep too about it. So okay, there are people who comment on people playing video games and apparently an audience for it, but how does translate into millions of dollars? Reminds me of the underpants gnomes and profit.
Old 12-05-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That's crazy and I weep too about it. So okay, there are people who comment on people playing video games and apparently an audience for it, but how does translate into millions of dollars? Reminds me of the underpants gnomes and profit.

Old 12-05-14, 05:39 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Believe me, I am in the same boat. I say to him frequently, why don't you just play it yourself? Which is met with puzzlement. I will never understand these younger generations (I am 32, even my own is confusing).

But, Trey & Matt really got it right this time. I could not help but laugh at how accurate this was. The episode prior, hit Magic: The Gathering on the head too. So these two really have their fingers on the pulse of these things.
Old 12-05-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts

people post these to youtube or twitch. ads on the videos generate revenue, which the people posting videos of get a small cut of.
Old 12-05-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 385 Likes on 315 Posts

OK. I guess with zillions of hits, those pennies add up. Good for him.

But, Trey & Matt really got it right this time. I could not help but laugh at how accurate this was. The episode prior, hit Magic: The Gathering on the head too. So these two really have their fingers on the pulse of these things.
South Park is a great way to showcase the millennials. And turn me into a grumpy old man.
Old 12-06-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Actually knowing that Pewdiepie is an actual person, and not just something they made up (I actually thought it was Trey Parker, the name Pewdiepie even sounds like something Parker and Stone would come up with) made the episode better.

Looked him up on Youtube and, Jesus titty-fucking Christ, that is some insipid shit. It's downright baffling that tens of millions of people will watch that shit.

It's sort of amazing that video games have become such a thing that kids can actually be entertained by watching other people play them.
Old 12-06-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Watching someone else play a videogame via YouTube clips or whatever is completely alien to me. The Millennials continue to sink our culture in new and unexpected ways.
Hey, I'm a millennial and I don't understand why half the shit on Youtube is as popular as it is.
Old 12-07-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice as the "democratization" of everything has been because of digital, it also means more crap than ever .
Old 12-07-14, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 374 Likes on 293 Posts

I didn't get it, probably because I have no idea what kids are into these days. Matt and Trey are my age (Gen-X) and they're more up on this shit then I am.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.