DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Why is CBS showing new shows on Thanksgiving? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/623727-why-cbs-showing-new-shows-thanksgiving.html)

madcougar 11-24-14 03:56 PM

Why is CBS showing new shows on Thanksgiving?

I thought most networks ran classic holiday fare on Thanksgiving and not new episodes of their shows.

My Other Self 11-24-14 03:57 PM

Re: Why is CBS showing new shows on Thanksgiving?

I was wondering the same thing. When I saw ads during football yesterday I was kind of surprised.

DRG 11-24-14 04:31 PM

This isn't a new thing for CBS. I remember one Thanksgiving they had new episodes of Survivor and CSI, back when CSI was still a hot show.

DJariya 11-24-14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 12312876)
I thought most networks ran classic holiday fare on Thanksgiving and not new episodes of their shows.

Because they aren't mailing it in on a Holiday and want to counter program NBC NFL Football with new original episodes of their Thursday shows.

emachine12 11-24-14 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12312924)
Because they aren't mailing it in on a Holiday and want to counter program NBC NFL Football with new original episodes of their Thursday shows.

Which caters to the group of people who would rather cozy up on a couch & watch TV instead of stand in a line on a cold evening waiting to buy things.

Some people just don't watch football so having new programming draws them from other lazy networks.

bluetoast 11-24-14 07:34 PM

I remember Friends having a new Brad Pitt episode on Thanksgiving 2001, but that was a bigger deal at the time. Obviously that's NBC, but same general idea.

PhantomStranger 11-24-14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12312924)

Bingo, it's called counterprogramming. CBS understands their older audience for the most part.

Patman 11-24-14 07:36 PM

Or most likely CBS is playing catch-up with their Thursday shows due to the 8 weeks of NFL games earlier this fall.

Count Dooku 11-24-14 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 12313120)
Or most likely CBS is playing catch-up with their Thursday shows due to the 8 weeks of NFL games earlier this fall.

This. Combined with the realization that people don't stop watching TV just cuz it is T-day.

madcougar 11-25-14 09:19 AM

No skin off my back since I don't watch live television anymore, but it seemed unusual to me.

majorjoe23 11-25-14 11:28 AM

It kind of surprises me the number of cable shows that are skipping shows this week. I could understand if it's a Thursday show, but FX is skipping Sons of Anarchy and American Horror Story (Tuesday and Wednesday) and Showtime isn't airing Homeland and The Affair Sunday.

PhantomStranger 11-25-14 01:02 PM

So many people travel on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Goat3001 11-25-14 01:08 PM

I, for one, disapprove of CBS' war on Thanksgiving.

Spiderbite 11-25-14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 12314013)
I, for one, disapprove of CBS' war on Thanksgiving.

Oh shit. Fox News' talking heads just exploded.

Eddie W 11-25-14 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12314006)
So many people travel on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

So they skip the shows this week in case the viewing public forgets to set their betamax recorders? I guess I don't get why so many networks base their programming decisions as if people really watch TV shows when they air.

JeffTheAlpaca 11-25-14 04:36 PM

It won't matter since they will be NBC's bitch and 49ers vs Seahawks will triple the ratings of those CBS shows!

writer106 11-25-14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12313876)
It kind of surprises me the number of cable shows that are skipping shows this week. I could understand if it's a Thursday show, but FX is skipping Sons of Anarchy and American Horror Story (Tuesday and Wednesday) and Showtime isn't airing Homeland and The Affair Sunday.

During the first season of American Horror Story, they did air an episode on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. But back then they scheduled all 12 episodes to air consecutively.

I remember back in the 90s, FOX used to air new episodes of Wednesday shows before Thanksgiving.

Count Dooku 11-25-14 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W (Post 12314179)
So they skip the shows this week in case the viewing public forgets to set their betamax recorders? I guess I don't get why so many networks base their programming decisions as if people really watch TV shows when they air.

Because the programming exists to get people to watch the commercials.

madcougar 11-26-14 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12314246)
It won't matter since they will be NBC's bitch and 49ers vs Seahawks will triple the ratings of those CBS shows!

Tripple? I will take that action!

hdnmickey 11-26-14 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 12313695)
No skin off my back since I don't watch live television anymore, but it seemed unusual to me.

Same here. As long as the DVR doesn't take the night off, I'm good.

fumanstan 11-26-14 11:16 AM

Well they're not airing Big Bang Theory it seems...

davidh777 11-26-14 11:17 AM

CBS's demographic would seem to lend itself to family TV watching on the holiday.