Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Taboo (FX) -- from Ridley Scott, Steven Knight, Tom Hardy -- premieres 1/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Taboo (FX) -- from Ridley Scott, Steven Knight, Tom Hardy -- premieres 1/10/17

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Wow, thought this would get more conversation ....
I'm not willing to write it off yet. However, I'm thinking there was a reason this was launched in mid-January....
Old 01-13-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Taboo (FX) -- from Ridley Scott, Steven Knight, Tom Hardy -- premieres 1/10/17

Just watched the premier. I'm interested enough to give it a shot for the season.
Old 01-13-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Tom Hardy is quickly becoming the most overrated actor in the world today. His reputation far exceeds his ability.
Nope. Do not agree at all. I enjoy him in everything he does.
Old 01-14-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just watched this first episode and I was riveted. Great production values, with hints of the supernatural and madness. So what's so "Taboo?" Well,
Spoiler:
he banged his half-sister and they had a thing going for a bit.

I'll definitely be staying the course. Jonathan Pryce and that dickhead husband character are going to get theirs.
Old 01-14-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm assuming the Taboo is multiple things with the primary one being:

Spoiler:
That he and his half sister had that little black-haired kid together.

I'm looking forward to the eventual shift to the Pacific Northwest.
Old 01-14-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I'm assuming the Taboo is the dabbling into the occult (or whatever) and/or the acquisition of diamonds (mentioned in an earlier description) which has now cursed him and his family (e.g., the dead talking to him when he didn't want them to).
Old 01-17-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the second episode and it was great and a shame that it's only 8 episodes long. I saw one of the coolest brutal kills ever in this latest episode.
Old 01-17-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably ... No, definitely won't get this watched tonight. Hopefully a second episode spurs more conversation!
Old 01-18-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I watched the first episode, which was free on Vudu.

I totally missed the line explaining who the father of the bastard kid was. I thought the dead father sired the whelp. Guess I need to pay attention a little better.
Old 01-19-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Thought it was great.

We just need Eva Green, Timothy Dalton, Patti Lupone and Wes Studi added to the cast and it will be Golden.

They were successful in making Lola completely unattractive.
Old 01-19-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

After the second episode I'm hooked. Hardy is just too awesome. And I have no clue what's going on with the whole brother - sister insinuated incest thing.
Old 01-19-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I watched the first episode, which was free on Vudu.

I totally missed the line explaining who the father of the bastard kid was. I thought the dead father sired the whelp. Guess I need to pay attention a little better.
Maybe I need to rewatch episode one, but did they spell it out or just hint at it? I suspect he is covering somebody else's secret, not his own. I don't think (or maybe I'm just hoping) a show like this would be so blatant.
Old 01-22-17, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Maybe I need to rewatch episode one, but did they spell it out or just hint at it? I suspect he is covering somebody else's secret, not his own. I don't think (or maybe I'm just hoping) a show like this would be so blatant.
It's pretty spelled out. Interesting show. Definitely not a hand holder.
Old 01-22-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched episode 3 last night - BBC one gets these days earlier than FX, so that's odd. Yeah, it continues on with the darkness and it's extremely layered.
Old 01-22-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm liking the show so far. My only real problem is I can't understand what a few characters are saying because of the accent.

I also noticed that most characters have bad teeth. However, I have seen a few with perfect super white I just spent a lot of money at the dentist teeth. So I guess they missed a few actors when they dirtied up their teeth.
Old 01-22-17, 01:39 PM

I usually have no problems with accents, but some of the thicker accents combined with some lines whispered or mumbled makes them hard to make out.

I really liked the first two episodes. It'll be interesting to see where this show is headed long term. I was surprised to hear a good 4 or 5 f-bombs in episode 2.
Old 01-22-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by birdseye
I usually have no problems with accents, but some of the thicker accents combined with some lines whispered or mumbled makes them hard to make out.

I really liked the first two episodes. It'll be interesting to see where this show is headed long term. I was surprised to hear a good 4 or 5 f-bombs in episode 2.
Same here, and on this show I routinely have to rewind and activate closed captioning.
Old 01-23-17, 10:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Caught up with the first two episodes over the weekend. As others have said, very dark and layered. Had to rewatch several sequences because I either couldn't understand what was being said or just didn't follow along. Not sure I'd say I'm 'hooked' on it, but I do plan to tune in again over the next couple weeks to see where it goes.
Old 01-23-17, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Caught up with the first two episodes over the weekend. As others have said, very dark and layered. Had to rewatch several sequences because I either couldn't understand what was being said or just didn't follow along. Not sure I'd say I'm 'hooked' on it, but I do plan to tune in again over the next couple weeks to see where it goes.
Same with me. Not exactly 'hooked' but interest is still there.
Old 01-23-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
BBC one gets these days earlier than FX, so that's odd.
Not sure why you think that, since it's primarily a BBC series with major funding from FX. Wiki sez:

Taboo is a British television drama series first broadcast on BBC One in the United Kingdom on 7 January 2017 and in the United States on FX on 10 January 2017, created by Steven Knight, Tom Hardy and his father, Edward "Chips" Hardy and based on a story written by Tom.
Questions for those watching the US version:

1) How much is FX censoring, language-wise?

2) Are the FX episodes cut to fit the 1-hour time slot, or are they running long to include commercials?
Old 01-23-17, 11:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum

2) Are the FX episodes cut to fit the 1-hour time slot, or are they running long to include commercials?
1. Doesn't appear to be much in the way of censoring. There have probably been a handful of F-bombs uttered thus far.
2. Both episodes have ran long. Close to 90 minutes incl. commercials.
Old 01-23-17, 11:49 AM

Someone else can answer this. I don't pay attention to whether or not they get to drop an F-bomb or not

we are getting the long running eps.
Old 01-23-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

FX doesn't censor F bombs anymore, though they're usually the more declarative "FUCK!"s and not the "Wanna fuck?"

I think AMC and History have also eased up on censoring F-bombs.
Old 01-23-17, 12:49 PM

ok. put it in a spoiler. I don't know if this is based off a novel or not.

Is this a supernatural show?

spoiler please so as to not anger others. I can take it and still watch knowing...
Old 01-23-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stopgap
ok. put it in a spoiler. I don't know if this is based off a novel or not.

Is this a supernatural show?

spoiler please so as to not anger others. I can take it and still watch knowing...

There are elements of the supernatural and this is original material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.