Reload this Page >

Younger (TV Land) -- S: Sutton Foster, Hillary Duff -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-07-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trailer:

TV Land's Newest original "Younger," stars Tony(R) Award winner Sutton Foster ("Bunheads") Hilary Duff ("Lizzie McGuire"), Debi Mazar ("Entourage") and Miriam Shor ("GCB"). The single-camera project, which is written, executive produced and directed by Darren Star ("Sex and the City"), is based on the novel "Younger" by Pamela Redmond Satran. Patricia Field, who worked with Star on "Sex and the City," will be a costume consultant on the production.

"Younger" follows 40-year-old Liza (Foster), a suddenly single mother who tries to get back into the working world, only to find out it's nearly impossible to start at the bottom at her age. When a chance encounter with a 20-something guy at a bar convinces her she looks younger than she is, Liza tries to pass herself off as 26 -- with the help of a makeover, courtesy of her best friend Maggie (Mazar). Armed with new confidence, she lands a job as an assistant to the temperamental Diana (Shor) and teams up with her new co-worker and fellow 20-something Kelsey (Duff) to make it in the career of her dreams.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Debi Mazar as Maggie
Hilary Duff as Kelsey
Miriam Shor as Diana
Sutton Foster as Liza

CREW INFORMATION:
Darren Star as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
Pamela Redmond Satran as BOOK
Just saw the trailer for this last night during the premiere of Hot in Cleveland. Looks pretty good. I like Sutton Foster from Bunheads and it's from the creator of Sex and the City and Beverly Hills 90210. I'll check this out in January.

The trailer almost looks like a movie. I saw it has a 12 episode order.

Last edited by dex14; 03-31-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Younger (TV Land) -- S: Sutton Foster, Hillary Duff -- Series Thread

I'll give this show a chance when it premieres.
Old 11-09-14, 06:14 PM

...and Hilary Duff? I'm in.
Old 11-09-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a fan of the showrunner's other stuff, but this looks pretty good. Loved Sutton Foster in Bunheads, so I'll definitely check this out.
Old 02-25-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pilot is free on Amazon.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
Loved Sutton Foster in Bunheads, so I'll definitely check this out.
Yep, and I'm a fan of her Broadway work.
Old 03-31-15, 08:32 AM

Re: Younger (TV Land) -- S: Sutton Foster, Hillary Duff -- Series Thread

Premieres tonight, 3/31/15. Two episodes.
Old 03-31-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad Sutton Foster is getting another show, she was great on Bunheads.
Old 03-31-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sutton Foster is just so damn appealing. This felt like a continuation of Bunheads, which is a good thing. The premise is pretty ridiculous, but I thought the first episode was a lot of fun, with some snappy dialogue.
Old 04-01-15, 07:58 AM

I love this show! I caught the pilot on demand last week and I couldn't wait to see the second half.

This is filling the void of "Hindsight" for me, as far as 40-something nostalgia for your 20s is concerned.
Old 04-01-15, 09:31 AM

Solid start,,glad sutton has found another TV gig, she's very appealing.
Old 04-01-15, 01:51 PM

at the reaction to the bush
Old 04-02-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This was great. I really liked the 2 episodes. Hard to believe this is only a 30 minute show. It feels like it should be 1 hour per week.

Sutton Foster is so damn charming. The premise for this is absurd as hell, but she is so damn likeable and can make even an absurd premise like this fun.

I really liked Hillary Duff as her colleague as well. It's hilarious seeing how Liza is a 40 year old woman and she damn clueless on modern trends like Twitter and social media.

at how they really geared this towards cable using words like shit and even using the word bush in the locker room scene. That was hilarious at the reactions.
Old 04-02-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This was great. I really liked the 2 episodes. Hard to believe this is only a 30 minute show. It feels like it should be 1 hour per week.

Sutton Foster is so damn charming. The premise for this is absurd as hell, but she is so damn likeable and can make even an absurd premise like this fun.

I really liked Hillary Duff as her colleague as well. It's hilarious seeing how Liza is a 40 year old woman and she damn clueless on modern trends like Twitter and social media.

at how they really geared this towards cable using words like shit and even using the word bush in the locker room scene. That was hilarious at the reactions.
Yeah...the use of the word shit and having that woman comment about her bush in the locker room made me say to myself, this is a TV Land show, I thought language was a no-no, but I guess they are now okay with dialogue and language that would be found on the basic cable outlets. Of course, I now wonder if this was originally first shopped to the basic cable channels like TNT and VH1, and they passed on it before TV Land stepped in and agreed not to tone down the dialogue.

I just wish I could get TV Land in HD, fortunately, my bedroom TV is an led not a plasma like my LG in my living room, so the PQ was basically the same as what it was when I watched shows on a tube tv back in ye olden days. Standard def programming on a plasma is hideous.
Old 04-03-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recorded this but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Sutton Foster (who is an amazing musicaltheatre performer) is rapidly becoming one of my favorite TV actors as well. She was so damn appealing in Bunheads that I knew I'd watch this.

If there are any gratuitous scenes of her running around in her underwear like there was in one episode of Bunheads I won't complain, of course.
Old 04-04-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was better than expected. The @aol.com to @gmail.com was funny.
Old 04-04-15, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
I recorded this but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Sutton Foster (who is an amazing musicaltheatre performer) is rapidly becoming one of my favorite TV actors as well. She was so damn appealing in Bunheads that I knew I'd watch this.

If there are any gratuitous scenes of her running around in her underwear like there was in one episode of Bunheads I won't complain, of course.
there was some underwear in a locker room in the pilot. no running around.

i was a little thrown off presenting someone in their 40's as that clueless to modern trends like trimming ones nethers and twitter. 40's = gen x and we shave our grey bushes and tweet just fine while listening to our grunge music and ace of base thanks.

i wish this was longer than 30 mins. i think it could be something great at 60.
Old 04-07-15, 08:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

fucking love this show!

just watched the first 2 eps. back to back and fucking loved them!! set it to record from now on. only 12 eps. S1? no fucking way. i just loved everything about the show, the implausibility, the likability of Sutton Foster, making Hilary Duff tolerable. these first 2 eps. were perfectly scripted. very fun and light and genuinely funny. a little heart thrown in for good measure doesn't hurt one bit.

this is a great show that deserves more attention and all the accolades it hopefully will receive.

being created by Darren Star, the creator of my only soap-like shows i ever watched in Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place, doesn't hurt either.

can't wait for more and so glad i didn't miss the boat on this one!!
Old 04-11-15, 12:40 PM

more people need to check this show out!
Old 04-21-15, 10:03 AM

Renewed: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/21/younger-renewed
Old 04-21-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the ratings are a bit of a mess for TV Land, but it's doing very well on Hulu and Nick at Night. They know they have something, they just don't know how to sell it right quite yet.
Old 04-22-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Three episodes in and enjoying it. Sutton Foster is awesome, of course, but Hilary Duff looks really great, especially considering the train wreck these days that is Miley Cyrus (her sort-of-successor on Disney Channel).
Old 04-22-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the characters on the show for the most part (minus her boss who is played a little too comically "misunderstood") but the premise is already wearing a bit thin for me.
Old 04-30-15, 05:44 PM

Anyone know why this is not on tvland on demand? It used to be...
Old 05-30-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you check Nick at Night on demand? It actually seems more popular on there ratings wise.

This show would really be much better as a 44 minute program, it's fine as it is now but they actually have some pretty interesting people and things going on and everything just seems rushed in 20 minute snippets.
Old 06-02-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Did you check Nick at Night on demand? It actually seems more popular on there ratings wise.

This show would really be much better as a 44 minute program, it's fine as it is now but they actually have some pretty interesting people and things going on and everything just seems rushed in 20 minute snippets.
I actually agree, in that the ability to flesh out certain aspects of the show would be beautifully done in a forty-four minute program. Bunheads, actually, might be the perfect example of this, oddly enough. The balance between comedic elements and the heavier "moments" was done masterfully there, and a similar touch would work wonders here. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love the show. So much so that I want to see more.

The scene in the eighth episode (I just finished this one) between Liza and Charles illustrates this perfectly. I could have easily watched another fifteen minutes of their interplay, which speaks volumes to how well it was done in the short time they had.

I am thrilled this got a second season... One of the best to come out in recent memory.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.