Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Boardwalk Empire (S5E08) -- Series Finale -- "Eldorado" -- 10/26/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the Final Season of Boardwalk Empire after tonight's finale?
Yes, Season and Finale were good
32.61%
No, felt rushed. Needed more than 8 episodes
43.48%
Season was Meh, but Finale was good
4.35%
Season was good, but finale was meh
13.04%
No, I want a season 6!!!
6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

After a shakeup, Nucky looks to relocate to Manhattan from Atlantic City. Margaret impresses Nucky and a grain-company stockholder; Luciano tends to unfinished business while establishing a mob commission; Willie shares underworld details with his boss, the U.S. Attorney; Nucky visits Gillian at the hospital. In 1897, Nucky copes with a family crisis, while making a deal with the Commodore that will settle his future.

Written by Howard Korder & Terence Winter; directed by Tim Van Patten.

Read more: Listings - BOARDWALK EMPIRE on HBO | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3HHJGfXpV

Episode 8 of 8

Finale is 65 Minutes.
Old 10-26-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Boardwalk Empire (S5E08) -- Series Finale -- "Eldorado" -- 10/26/14

Wow, can't wait to see the finale. This deserved more seasons.
Old 10-26-14, 09:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the predictions were dead on.

Nice job wrapping stuff up for the most part.

Last edited by MrX; 10-26-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blaster1 View Post
Wow, can't wait to see the finale. This deserved more seasons.
It did or at least a few more episodes. I still loved the way it ended.
Old 10-26-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I didn't like the season much at all : this was by far the worst of the five, but for me it really hasn't been the same since the end of Season 2. Felt way too rushed to tie up all the story threads. Entire story lines like Chalky's got condensed down to a skeleton outine, I could have easily watched more Eli & Van Alden -- give me a spin-off dammit!
That ending was too easily predicted, but still it was a very good finale. Finally all those insufferable flashbacks paid off in the finale scene. The scene between Nucky and Gillian at the asylum and the one between Capone and his son were really well done. I liked how they wrapped up Margret as well.

Were those cops trying to arrest Nucky in that final scene?
Old 10-26-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The final season only had 8 episodes? I thought this was one of HBO's most popular shows.
Old 10-26-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

That ending was a lame cop out and really makes me frustrated about the series as it's clearly not what we was intended from the get go, but what we got due to the episode cut.
Old 10-27-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it kind of disappointed.
Old 10-27-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That ending was predicted long ago, but I still liked it. I'll really miss this show.
Old 10-27-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Finally all those insufferable flashbacks paid off in the finale scene.
But it wasn't worth all of this season's flashbacks. They seriously could've just done an eighth of the amount of flashbacks with the same results.

But yeah, over all a disappointing season/ending to a fantastic show.

I did like how the very end could be interpreted either of two ways; either with Nucky ending up dead, or surviving the shooting.
Old 10-27-14, 12:43 AM
Banned

Kind of agree with most posters although I voted for overall satisfaction. I could have used a full season with a bit slower pacing to wrap up the story lines and liked the characters, but I'd rather have them go out a bit rushed than to overstay their welcome. Could see a lot of different possibilities for endings for Nucky apart from what we got, but it still ended up pretty well. I was thinking that they might perversely leave Mickey the only one of the main cast of hoods (apart from the historical characters) still standing at the end.

Hate to say goodbye to many of the characters, but that was true of several of the distinctive characters who never made it to the final season. Maybe the slightly rushed feel to the season gives a clue as to what a six-episode final season of Deadwood would have looked like if Milch had accepted HBO's offer instead of holding out for a full season...and the alternative of two-part miniseries to wrap up the story would have been even worse.

Also consider the shows that meandered around or declined in later seasons (True Blood, Dexter, even Sopranos and to some extent Deadwood, etc.). I think five seasons is just about the optimal length for most cable series to be able to tell an entire saga. As Terrance Winter pointed out, they got 56 hours to explore the story arcs of the characters over the prohibition era, and think how some people complain about movies such as Once Upon a Time in America, Das Boot, and others for being 'too long.'
Old 10-27-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it. I think 8 episodes was appropriate and the flashbacks added a lot of depth to Nucky's character.
Old 10-27-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But it wasn't worth all of this season's flashbacks. They seriously could've just done an eighth of the amount of flashbacks with the same results.

But yeah, over all a disappointing season/ending to a fantastic show.

I did like how the very end could be interpreted either of two ways; either with Nucky ending up dead, or surviving the shooting.
???? It's pretty clear that he was dead. Shot numerous times in the chest, then in the head.

I really enjoyed the whole season (including flashbacks) and the finale, though it did feel rushed. I really felt bad for Gillian. I know she was pretty bad, as an adult, but seeing her as a kid and knowing what was coming was really tough.
Old 10-27-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the way they tied in Gillian's story was brilliant. It has been said before but completely brilliant casting of the younger versions. Gillian was insanely good. Nucky as an adult was excellent as well. I liked the final season quite a bit.
Old 10-27-14, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

The excellent younger casting pretty much ruined any sort of surprise that it was Tommy. I mean, who didn't see that one coming?

But yeah, we could have done without the stupid flash back to the brothers flushing a fucking toilet.
Old 10-27-14, 02:57 AM

Who were the 2 guys at the end who were yelling at Nucky as he lay dying?

Were they Luciano's hit men there to 'tie up loose ends'?

Also, it was unclear what happened to Eli's son who got left with Luciano..I thought they were going to come back to renegotiate to get him back, it seemed like more was supposed to happen after they lost him the first time but then it never got revisited...
Old 10-27-14, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the finale was kinda boring and obviously predictable. I do like how they tied it all together to show how Nucky was mostly a good man trying to do the right thing, but was just a little too greedy and things snowballed. He made his bed, and eventually was forced to lie in it.

I just didn't feel much emotion towards this finale as I do most shows I like, which could have something to do with the predictability of it. I do have to laugh that the one character I ended up sympathizing the most with was Al Capone. They actually made me feel bad for the guy, lol.
Old 10-27-14, 04:37 AM

Fitting end for nucky, tommy avenging the dad and his grandma.

Good finale and an enjoyable series overall.
Old 10-27-14, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Who were the 2 guys at the end who were yelling at Nucky as he lay dying?

Were they Luciano's hit men there to 'tie up loose ends'?

Also, it was unclear what happened to Eli's son who got left with Luciano..I thought they were going to come back to renegotiate to get him back, it seemed like more was supposed to happen after they lost him the first time but then it never got revisited...
The two guys at the end were feds. It was meant to be ironic since had he not been afraid and hesitated about walking towards them, they might have thwarted his murder. And Eli's son was released by Luciano in the last episode. They showed him going back to work all disheveled and learning about Maranzano's assassination from his boss' secretary.
Old 10-27-14, 05:18 AM

I liked it, and a decent ending to the show. Could've been worse, screen could've went black to a 1930s cover of Journey's Don't Stop Believing. I didn't see it coming, that it was Tommy. Totally forgot about that kid. I guess the fast forward in time was the only way this would've been possible. I liked the series, and if there were more episodes, I wouldn't want them to show what happens next, but what happened in those years that got skipped thru. This would've made a fine season 6, and season 5 would've been those years skipped thru.
Old 10-27-14, 07:33 AM

I was also expecting some kind of epilogue, of who die when and where etc.., never came.. oh well.
Old 10-27-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it, and I thought the flashbacks were well done and meaningful. There could of been a bit less of them, but it wasn't a big deal. I'm surprised that I didn't feel emotional at all when Nucky got shot, but I definitely felt a bit sad for Al.
Old 10-27-14, 09:04 AM

Wasn't Tommy in Wisconsin for like a decade? How would he even have any contact or knowledge of what happened? Harrow certainly wouldn't have approved how this turned out.
Old 10-27-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Watched this last night and here are my thoughts:

1) In light of the big picture - it makes no sense that Jimmy's son would come back and shoot Nucky:
* The boy was 'saved' by Richard and his wife/GF and brought to live with his sister in the mid west (what a way to throw away all the good work Richard was trying to accomplish - by having the son come back as a two bit hoodlem and boy willing to kill another man Logic would dictate that he would be raised by a good family away from crazy Gillian's side of the story - and hear the truth from Richard's family)
** The boy was being raised in a brothel by his Grandmother who had Rosetti and gangsters living there. There was a massacre in the brothel and he witnessed it. (If anything he should grow up resenting his Grandmother for raising him there and endangering him)
***His Grandmother murdered a stranger and pretended it was his father (why would he feel anything for this woman?)

2) What happened to Nucky's "wife" ? - she lost the baby..and I guess we should not care about his relationship with what seemed to be a loving woman who wanted the best for him..

3) I am not sympathetic to Gillian. Gillian had a good life - she was ambitious, and wanted the 'good' 'adventurous' life. Her story is akin to rich people complaining at the end of their lives that "money is not everything." (Thanks - I'm sure you didn't feel that way when you were having a good time.. but now you see that life is not a bowl of roses..and we want us to feel sorry for you.. tell that to the guy / gal who has the same problems as you but no money)
* It is sad that she was taken advantage of by the commodore.. but she became his wife, cared for him, had no problem taking the money, spending the money, living the social life, and if it was so bad and she wanted to leave ** she could have walked out the door one morning never to return and 'sail the world'
*** We saw countless women on this show who had no other option but to stay at home and get beaten and sexually assaulted by their drunken deadbeat husbands (Gillian had options)

4) at the trading places stock market scheme - Let's short the stock and in 5 minutes we will make millions of dollars. I am in finance... and they were moving quite a bit of shares in a very analog market - it takes a bit of time to match orders with the buyers and sellers at that volume and with such market swings (The stock dropped 82%!!!).. I have to assume that this is an established Grain company like General Mills is today (Kennedy says its book value is worth 2x the price at one point - people use grain to make FOOD!!) so this was a bit over the top and contrived. Would have served the story better if Nucky luck ran out on this scheme and he lost his shirt.

5) If you want to have a "I got too greedy" story - Then finish the story with Nucky's wife.. did she leave him and show him losing the love of his life to ambition, and the rest of the story will fill in from the past 7 seasons (the wake of death and disrepair to those around him and himself).
* Oh and how about having him 'Arrested' and having everything catch up to him? (isn't that supposed to be justice in America?)

Overall - having him shot by someone who just shows up out of the blue to avenge the death of someone he hardly knew (mother and father, and crazy grandma) makes no sense.. and I would say there are probably a lot of people out there who want Nucky dead for his 'sins' but this was not well thought out.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 10-27-14 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. The kid was fucked up by all that he witnessed despite Richard's attempt to save him. Keeping his identity secret until the end means that we don't know how he ended up in Atlantic City but we know that it was with the intention of killing Nucky. The one thing that's clear is that he loved his grandmother despite all that she had done. Richard would have done everything to keep him away from Gillian but that doesn't mean that his sister would have done the same thing.

2. This is where I'm disappointed. Mabel's backstory prior to this season was that she gave birth to the baby and Nucky found her caring for the dead infant a week after his death. Later, she committed suicide over the loss of the child. I can see leaving the suicide out but not the caring for a dead infant part.

3. I don't think you need to be sympathetic. The whole point of Gillian's flashback is that giving her to the Commodore was Nucky's first sin and ultimately what led to his fate.

4. They had been talking about this for a couple of episodes but I agree that it seems contrived. I wouldn't get too hung up on it since it was meant to tie up the Kennedy storyline.

5. Again, she committed suicide shortly after the death of the child. He was already ambitious before he met her so I don't think her death changed anything.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.