Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Manhattan Love Story (ABC) - Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-30-14, 02:47 PM

Received 997 Likes on 674 Posts

"Pilot" - "Manhattan Love Story," premiering TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 (8:30-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network, is an innovative new romantic comedy based on a simple premise: the way to maintain relationships - with a lover, a spouse, a co-worker, a friend or a family - is by keeping a majority of thoughts to one's self. Dana (Analeigh Tipton) and Peter (Jake McDorman), who navigate the complicated terrain of building and maintaining a relationship, are the heart of the story. Throughout the series, the audience will hear Dana and Peter's inner thoughts, offering a fun and revealing look at the differences of men and women as this couple traverse the highs and lows of dating.

In "Pilot," the audience is introduced to Dana and Peter: young, single and attractive making their way in the big city. Dana grew up in a small town with her sights set on New York romanticizing about the life and love it had to offer while Peter, by contrast, grew up there and feels like he has been there and done that when it comes to life in Manhattan. Dana is determined to succeed in New York in both business and love, while Peter is perfectly content to go on dating his way through it. While it is the streets of New York that offers this duo a first glimpse of each other, it's family and friends who conspire to set them up. The audience will go along for the ride as they venture on their first date and hear exactly what they really think of each other.

Filmed in New York, "Manhattan Love Story" stars Analeigh Tipton as Dana, Jake McDorman as Peter, Nicolas Wright as David, Jade Catta-Preta as Amy, Chloe Wepper as Chloe and Kurt Fuller as William. The series was created and is written by Jeff Lowell ("Drew Carey Show," "Spin City"). Peter Traugott, Jeff Lowell, Robin Schwartz, Rachel Kaplan and Jon Liebman are executive producers. Michael Fresco directed the pilot. "Manhattan Love Story" is produced by ABC Studios. This episode carries a TV-PG,D,L parental guideline.

Read more: Listings - MANHATTAN LOVE STORY on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3EpWzJwyA
Old 09-30-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Manhattan Love Story (ABC) - Series Thread

Well this show is going on the cancelled list soon but I actually liked the female lead. I'll stick around for the next 3 weeks or however long it gets before the plug is pulled.
Old 09-30-14, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of liked it more than I expect to, as well.

Kind of funny how the female character is the complete opposite of the one in the preceding show. I had to laugh at how inept she was at technology. And I actually liked the male lead since he was in Greek.
Old 09-30-14, 08:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Trenton NJ and when I turned the TV on this show started. I had no idea it even existed. I liked it, both leads are charismatic and have chemistry. If they gave the show a chance I think it could be good, but of course it will be cancelled when it doesn't bring in stellar ratings in its first season.
Old 09-30-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
I kind of liked it more than I expect to, as well.

Kind of funny how the female character is the complete opposite of the one in the preceding show. I had to laugh at how inept she was at technology. And I actually liked the male lead since he was in Greek.
I'm also a fan of Jake McDorman and I liked him and the female lead in this show. But I have a bad feeling it won't last long.
Old 09-30-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the female lead. Overall, a pretty good premiere. I'll enjoy it for the one season it'll last.
Old 09-30-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surprised by this one. It was fresh.
Old 09-30-14, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 286 Likes on 230 Posts

Felt as fresh as Happy Endings, but I liked that show, so I'll stick with this until it's canceled.
Old 09-30-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good comparison.
Old 10-01-14, 07:46 AM

It's too bad this is buried behind Selfie. I think a lot of people won't watch because that show is so over-hyped and not very good.
Old 10-01-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
Loved the female lead. Overall, a pretty good premiere. I'll enjoy it for the one month it'll last.
Fixed
Old 10-01-14, 08:35 AM

Received 997 Likes on 674 Posts

I wish this chick didn't cut her hair. I liked it better when it was long.
Old 10-01-14, 10:49 AM

Glad to see I wasn't the only one pleasantly surprised by this. Quite enjoyable, actually.
Old 10-01-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh ...... once was more than enough.
Old 10-01-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny, after watching it the first thing that I thought was that I really liked the female lead. Guess I wasn't alone. Have no real desire to go back for more.
Old 10-02-14, 12:03 AM

I expected pretty much nothing from the show, but I'm a fan of both the leads and I have a soft spot in my heart for romantic comedies. I'm glad I checked it out because I loved it! This will be my Trophy Wife of this year because it's offbeat and I know it will hurt when it gets cancelled. I'm in as long as it airs, though.

I'm glad everyone else was drawn to Analeigh Tipton, as well. Some of you may remember her as the babysitter with the crush on Steve Carrell in Crazy Stupid Love.
Old 10-05-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 262 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Highfire View Post
I'm glad everyone else was drawn to Analeigh Tipton, as well. Some of you may remember her as the babysitter with the crush on Steve Carrell in Crazy Stupid Love.
Yeah, I thought she was really good in that and she's the reason I decided to check this out. I liked the first episode--hopefully this gets a chance to gain an audience.
Old 10-05-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
It's too bad this is buried behind Selfie. I think a lot of people won't watch because that show is so over-hyped and not very good.
Selfie was 100x better than this pile.

And Selfie sucked too.
Old 10-05-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First comedy to make me really laugh since Fraiser. Hope it hangs around.
Old 10-07-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Too many snarky wisecracks and too contrived. The female lead was good, though. That apartment they live in is easily worth $10 million in Manhattan. I'd watch again if there's nothing else on at the same time but I wouldn't bother recording it.
Old 10-07-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay so I'm officially in love with Analeigh Tipton. That didn't take long.

I'm still liking this show. I actually laughed out loud when Dana fell off of the stool trying to avoid the kiss. My favorite new show of the season easily.
Old 10-07-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another good episode.
Old 10-08-14, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Too many snarky wisecracks and too contrived. The female lead was good, though. That apartment they live in is easily worth $10 million in Manhattan. I'd watch again if there's nothing else on at the same time but I wouldn't bother recording it.
I was kind of thinking the same thing when I was watching the show. But I'll suspend my disbelief on that part and other shows have done similar things.

Overall, I have liked the two episodes that have aired.
Old 10-08-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 150 Likes on 126 Posts

Just watched the first episode, laughed a number of times, and was pretty smitten with the female lead. I still may like A to Z a little better, but I'll keep watching this one as well.
Old 10-08-14, 11:38 AM

Another cliched show. So tired of shows trying to be so self aware with dialogue that reflects that and so clinging to the relationship aspect on top of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.