Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

Old 09-29-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

Frozen is a super-hot property right now and ABC will milk it for everything it's worth on Once Upon A Time.
Old 09-30-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Agreed.

And, seriously, the worst thing about the Frozen nonsense is that it played too cutesy. The fun of this show was how it was always like a very warped fairy tale (Little Red Riding Hood as a werewolf, anyone?). The bulk of the episode felt too "safe", even for this show.
Well if they stick to how Frozen was originally written
Spoiler:
Elsa was written as the villain of the movie, but after hearing Idina sing "Let It Go" the producers & writers thought there should be more to it than "Elsa turns the town frozen because shes the villain"
Old 09-30-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Well if they stick to how Frozen was originally written
Spoiler:
Elsa was written as the villain of the movie, but after hearing Idina sing "Let It Go" the producers & writers thought there should be more to it than "Elsa turns the town frozen because shes the villain"
I know that. And since they already did their happy version (and, honestly, they did little to nothing with their mid-production epiphany), I'd have loved a dark and brooding version OUAT. Hell, add a double twist by making sweet Anna a manipulative sister who blames Elsa for everything and paints Elsa the villain. Anything to stand apart from what's already been done.
Old 09-30-14, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
In the overnight ratings, Once Upon a Time had 9.34 million viewers and a 3.4 in the 18-49 demo, levels not seen since early in S2.
In the Sunday final ratings, Once Upon a Time adjusted up to 10.2 million viewers and a 3.7 in the 18-49 demo, making the S4 premiere the highest rated episode since the S2 premiere!
Old 10-01-14, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
In the Sunday final ratings, Once Upon a Time adjusted up to 10.2 million viewers and a 3.7 in the 18-49 demo, making the S4 premiere the highest rated episode since the S2 premiere!
Guilty

I've never watched an episode of the show but tuned in with my kid for the Frozen connection (well, we watched Comcast on demand). I liked the way that was handled, but I sure didn't understand anything else that was going on. I probably won't keep watching, but who knows.
Old 10-01-14, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought it was a great episode. Although surprised they seemed to make such a straightforward sequel to Frozen since normally the show deviates considerably from book/movie versions of the characters/stories. I thought the CGI was some of the best the show has done.
Old 10-01-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very surprised if Disney didn't set some serious boundaries about what direction they would let OUAT use the Frozen property. For those thinking a darker storyline would be better, I think Disney would never have allowed it. Frozen is too huge and with sequels worth billions of dollars down the road at stake I doubt they'd want the characters to stray into a direction that would be at odds with the future movie storylines.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-01-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I would be very surprised if Disney didn't set some serious boundaries about what direction they would let OUAT use the Frozen property. For those thinking a darker storyline would be better, I think Disney would never have allowed it. Frozen is too huge and with sequels worth billions of dollars down the road at stake I doubt they'd want the characters to stray into a direction that would be at odds with the future movie storylines.

Just my opinion.
I was thinking the same thing. And will this be considered canon that affects animated theatrical sequels?
Old 10-01-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Just my opinion.
It also happens to be the correct opinion. Frozen is Disney's first new actual IP in years that has hit this level of success. Elsa is practically ensconced now alongside the traditional Disney princesses. You can bet the theatrical division only allowed Frozen characters on ABC with strict guidelines.
Old 10-03-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't see Frozen, and was getting bored by the show last season. Might be time to stop watching.