Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's "11.22.63" (Hulu, premieres 2.15.16)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's "11.22.63" (Hulu, premieres 2.15.16)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Stephen King's "11.22.63" (Hulu, premieres 2.15.16)

Originally Posted by slop101
He had cancer, but I don't recall seeing him die. Must have missed it. I think they garbled the time passage from when he first went into the closet, to when he finally went for his big mission. Seemed like just a day or two, which I guess it was much longer.
Spoiler:

It did seem like basically an overnight time passage, but they definitely show him dead.

The only complaint I had on this format was the artificial extending of events, I know that's par for the course, but having things constantly get in the way of obtaining information just kind of got old -- even if it was "The past" working against them. The whole "Past" thing had a big Final Destination vibe to it, but was fun especially in the finale.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-15-16 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

One thing that never made sense in this series:

Spoiler:
Why did Bill buddy up with Lee Harvey Oswald considering he was beating Marina? He blamed the main character for not stopping it to the point of pointing a gun at him. But Lee was the one doing the beating.
Old 04-16-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
"Replay" is my favorite book of all time. I've recommended it to a bunch of friends and they all loved it.
I really like that book. I've been waiting for a movie version of it for a long time.
Old 04-16-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PatD

Spoiler:
Why did Bill buddy up with Lee Harvey Oswald considering he was beating Marina? He blamed the main character for not stopping it to the point of pointing a gun at him. But Lee was the one doing the beating.
Yeah, that didn't make sense.

Semi-related to that

Spoiler:
I wish the finale had been longer and Jake checked in the unaltered future to see if Bill was still alive
Old 04-17-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Thanks, redcon1 and dstrauss. No Kindle version, but I ordered it and should have it in a couple of days.
Finished Replay today. Fantastic book!
Old 04-19-16, 08:33 PM
Banned

Will this have a Blu-ray release? Reading the book now. epub version.
Old 10-04-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Wasn't perfect, but got most of it. And I'm a mess. They danced.
Me too. Well dpnr ending and was exactly the same as the book.

Originally Posted by Chuckle
Will this have a Blu-ray release? Reading the book now. epub version.
It does and it's worth a look.
Old 11-04-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Wow. Just got Hulu a few months ago, and got around to watching this today. Incredible little piece of fiction. Had to keep reminding myself this is all fabricated, and not some kind of historical drama. Messes with you when they're using true events in a fictitious way.

Was this show a one-and-done? Will there be another season where he tries again? I'm alright with it either way.
Old 11-04-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

It’s one and done. If you liked that, I suggest checking out the book, it goes way more in depth with his life in the past.
Old 01-01-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

So, I was cleaning out my closet this morning and wound up back in 2016, so I binge-watched this ...

Read the book a few years back and really liked it ... one of King’s best in recent memory.

Mixed emotions on the series though:

The Yellow Card Man was a waste in this version, should have either cut him out or give him his purpose back. Additionally, Kevin J. O’Connor was horribly miscast.

I liked the adding of Bill as a sidekick. As has been said, a necessary evil considering the story-telling devices. Clever way to get him out of the way once he was added.

Originally Posted by PatD

Spoiler:
Two reasons: Bill was falling for Marina (I really thought they were going to say one of the babies was his) and saw this as a way to get close to her without Lee’s suspicion. Second, it got him closer to Lee to keep an eye on him.

Honestly, binge-watching may not have been the best way to watch this. By episodes 6-7-8 it was getting a bit tedious. I think seeing Jake fail and go back again would have been more interesting than one run through.

The Past pushes back by doing things like ... tripping you and putting boxes on stairs. No, The Past doesn’t push back, it is just a jokester/bully. Really, most of The Past pushing back was pretty awful. However, I have never heard it proposed that him meeting Sadie was the ultimate way for The Past to push back.