Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Strain (S1E11) -- "The Third Rail" -- 9/21/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Strain (S1E11) -- "The Third Rail" -- 9/21/14

Episode 11 / Production #111 -"The Third Rail" (Airs September 21, 10:00 pm e/p) -Setrakian leads Eph, Fet and Nora in the hunt for the Master's lair. Left behind at the pawnshop with Mariela, Zack risks his safety for Mariela's sake. Teleplay by Justin Britt-Gibson and Chuck Hogan; directed by Deran Sarafian.

Episode 11 of 13

Going to be out most of the day tomorrow, so starting this thread a little early.
Old 09-21-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E11) -- "The Third Rail" -- 9/21/14

Shit, that still looks creepy as hell! The side profile does make him look child-like, so I'm under the assumption that
Spoiler:
Yosef Sardu may have looked like a giant "child" before being possessed.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-21-14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"This is a...good idea?"
"Well, we're about to find out."
LOL
The UV flash-bang idea is recycled from Blade II, it isn't in the book at all, I'm assuming they added it to give the show a little more visual style.

"Epic fail."
And that's going to date this show already.

"I could rig up a fog machine too, really get them dancing!"
I love Fet. Though for once, Eph is right, that's not a bad idea.

If they aren't careful, Nora's mom is going to trigger one of Setrakian's weapons.

Dear God, another DOP! I though most TV shows consistently had one, what's the deal? And what's with the Orange and green pallet?

"I'm not playing, brah!"
Seriously? How stereotypical can you make the character's dialogue?

That baseball bat in the mouth was a Savini-style kill.

What the hell happened to the hacker? I thought Fet convinced her not to go last episode? Or she wandering around in vampire-infested NYC not caring what happens?

I keep seeing ads for American Horror Story, are they still shouldn't 35mm for that new season?

Suburbanite control freak that I am, the breakdown of social order is one of my worst nightmares. What are you going to do with a stolen TV when there isn't any electricity though?

So is Dutch's thing finished? The phones are back up now?

Can I have Gus's hairline? Fuck my genetics.

"I hope I'm represented by more than my wallet and my watch."
Harsh, but accurate.

The tunnel sequence, probably by design, was reminiscent of The Stand.

Gus encountering his mother, though it could've been more effective had we invested more, actually worked pretty well. That's a horrific thing I think most of us can imagine. He has no idea what's going on, but he seems to have completely accepted that anyone infected is lost.

"You were saying?!"
So, asshole, for once YOU'RE wrong!

"Congratulations on the vampire apocalypse!"
Hey, someone actually said it! I like the darkness of the Fet characters. Lots of stories would play with the whole "apocalypse forces responsibility on someone" idea, but there's a real malevolence to it here, how Fet likes to "exterminate" things and is almost evil because of what's happened. They're lucky he's on their side. You could almost call it anti-intellectualism in contrast with Eph, but of course now it's Fet's street smarts which are actually useful. Interesting dichotomy, though standing arguing about it while surrounded by vampires with dwindling daylight isn't real intelligent.

Budget was kind of showing with that electrocution effect.

Dear God, there's a vampire in there, forget the fucking iPhone product placement! So the vamp conveniently disappeared until the expendable character needed to be killed, completely ignoring Zack?

Great, a crawlspace. A claustrophobic's worst nightmare. Because the monsters, social breakdown, and loss of loved ones and body horror weren't enough. And of course, we must show each character doing it individually! And one must get stuck! Kind of an interesting way to try to do a set piece on a TV budget though. God, I'm not going to sleep tonight! Nora had the damn sense to stay and help, more than can be said for Eph. I know it's her voice, and maybe it's because I'm a raging claustrophobe, but I'd help hem through. God, I'm still shuddering.

The Master crawling on the ceiling is a great visual. Shame that the makeup still looks freaking terrible. The red eyes are nice. Why must villains monologue? Why? The guy has weapons which can hurt you, just kill his ass.

"I am a drinker of men."
If you're a screenwriter, and you write that line, your software should delete your hard drive.

Spoiler:
Someone who's read the book, remind me, doesn't the Master escape while being burned by sunlight as a plan fails at the end of the first book? I remember a big set piece, but I don't remember the details. My adventure finding that audiobook remains a fool's errand.

Where the hell was Setrakian when The Master was crushing Eph's trachea?

The UV grenade works! Cool! Awesome thing to have in a vampire apocalypse!

Creeping up on mother and having her turn out not to be a vampire was a little cheap.

"Of course he tricked you!"
Did you miss the part where he said "this will be a trap?"

"Why did you ignite the light bomb?"
So save you? Since you were having a heart attach and he was going to rip out your throat? "Thank you" might be nice.

So after the only way in was that hole in the wall, now they're wandering about?

You know, for a guy who just chastised him for walking into a trap, you were about to walk into one yourself.

"Unhand me!"
Has anyone used that expression since Shakespeare died? Do the screenwriters have any frame of reference for how people talk beyond pulp novels?

So, something finally HAPPENED in this episode and the narrative is actually moving, though the Zack subplot way ultimately nothing more than filler. That said, nice attempt to show off the show's production values and some directorial flourishes of the characte s doing things besides sitting around arguing, even if the budget does, ahem, strain a bit. Hogan has written a couple of episodes now, unlike GDT, he doesn't have a feature he's working on, so maybe he can be a bit more involved with Cuse from day-to-day. I imagine del Toro probably can't involve himself very much, he's a busy-ass man. And frankly after the pilot, maybe he should leave it to TV directors anyway. It looked like Dutch was back in the preview for next week. Maybe she'll be part of the team, unlike the book. Perhaps FX insisted on some eye-candy ?

Spoiler:
In the book, Gus hooks up with the vampire hunting squad, it looks like he'll be doing the same on the show next week.
Old 09-22-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My boy Gus getting himself some action! Literally.

"You here for the rent, puto?!" There's some big plans for Gus coming up.

The Master looked dope, and he's vain as hell, because have you seen the giant rings he wears? Dude likes his bling. He may also be huge but has that speed as the crawling upside down on the walls looked awesome.

We're down to the final TWO episodes of the season and GDT will be back to direct those, so it should go off for the season finale(s).

BTW, get to your library and use an interlibrary loan service and see if you can get the audiobook for all 3 novels. That's what I did. I'm currently listening to The Fall in the car and I have Night Eternal on deck.
Old 09-22-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chaos on the streets ADR is still really pissing me off. It was unbearable during the scene when they were leaving the pawn shop.
Old 09-22-14, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is impossible to take that face seriously. It's just so hilariously not intimidating at all.
Old 09-22-14, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It is impossible to take that face seriously. It's just so hilariously not intimidating at all.
Yeah, it's pretty terrible.
Old 09-22-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

It seems like this show is becoming more and more lackluster with each new episode.
Old 09-23-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

The part of this episode that really bugged me is that they left the UV lights on while they were just walking around in the tunnels. Didn't they establish in the gas station episode that they only got about a 20 min charge? I'd sure as heck want to save the batteries for vamp killing. I thought the episode was ok. Mariela really got on my nerves this episode. I hope they really pick it up in the next two episodes.
Old 09-23-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Grandma needs her cigs to keep her under control. Son plays with weapons pretending to stab the bad guys. The team enter the sewers to fight ninja turtles but only find a bat.

So if the master has a few hundred slaves why not send them all to attack the group. The sewers might as well be a death trap.
Old 09-23-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Grandma needs her cigs to keep her under control. Son plays with weapons pretending to stab the bad guys. The team enter the sewers to fight ninja turtles but only find a bat.

So if the master has a few hundred slaves why not send them all to attack the group. The sewers might as well be a death trap.

The Master doesn't just blow his wad like that.
Old 09-23-14, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it made no sense why the vamps in the sewers didn't just attack them en masse and overwhelm them, especially after the master became aware of their presence. There were hundreds, if not thousands of them down there, and it's a confined space. I also don't understand why Zach had to be left alone with Mrs. Martinez. Why was Nora so goddamn important to the mission that she couldn't stay behind to babysit? And the worst bit of all: Eph hears Kelly's voice and immediately abandons the mission and runs off after her like a moron. Did he expect to find her alive and uninfected just wandering around the sewers? Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing everyone killed off except Setrakian, Fet and Gus. They are the only ones that aren't completely annoying.
Old 09-23-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
BTW, get to your library and use an interlibrary loan service and see if you can get the audiobook for all 3 novels. That's what I did. I'm currently listening to The Fall in the car and I have Night Eternal on deck.
The libraries around have all three, but I'd like to own them. The first and third were released on CD, and the first two are on iTunes. The second did get released on CD by Blackstone Audio, but only for libraries, and since it sells to libraries, it's about $80, and I'm not paying that. I'd rather have all three in a uniform format. I've been combing eBay to see if an library anywhere is selling it off, but no luck so far.
Old 09-24-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Being this close to the end of the season I'll stick with it. But even as a huge fan of the books I'm going to be considering dropping this one. It just too uneven. That "Creatures Of The Night" episode was one the best things I've seen on TV all year but then there's episodes like this that go into SOA level absurdity. The Master honestly looks like a constipated Clash of Clans goblin, not intimidating at all.
Old 09-24-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Kid going out for cigarettes? I'm having a hard time dealing with how stupid all of these characters are.
Old 09-25-14, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Kid going out for cigarettes? I'm having a hard time dealing with how stupid all of these characters are.
I knew there would be some type of foolishness when the dad left him the keys.
Old 09-25-14, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I knew there would be some type of foolishness when the dad left him the keys.
Any time a kid appears in a show where there's no real reason for one I assume the writers will manufacture faux drama involving the kid. I have rarely been disappointed.
Old 09-25-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Is the kid autistic? Or has he been idolizing Carl?
Old 09-25-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why in the hell did they leave him alone with her when they knew how bad her dementia had become? Surely Nora could've stayed? Setrakian and Fet are the only one who were actually useful anyway, they should've gone down, maybe take Eph as backup, and leave Nora with her mother. And after all of the screaming and ratting, she waited patiently for him to go and get the smokes?
Old 09-25-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
We're down to the final TWO episodes of the season and GDT will be back to direct those, so it should go off for the season finale(s).
Season or SERIES? I thought this was a contained 13 episode, one season series. Is it going to have another season?!

One of the main reasons I watched was because I thought it was "one and done". This is what turned me off about THE KILLING after they promised only 13 episodes. Part of the reason I like AHS because I can ditch a season and pick up the next.
Old 09-25-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Season or SERIES? I thought this was a contained 13 episode, one season series. Is it going to have another season?!

One of the main reasons I watched was because I thought it was "one and done". This is what turned me off about THE KILLING after they promised only 13 episodes. Part of the reason I like AHS because I can ditch a season and pick up the next.

Well, the The Strain is three books, so it made sense that if the ratings were good enough FX would keep going and they did by renewing it for a second season. Also, from the some of the previous posts, the show will be extended to 5 seasons. I guess they will tell the story contained in 3 books in those five seasons.

To answer your question: Yes, there's a second season coming.
Old 09-25-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The libraries around have all three, but I'd like to own them. The first and third were released on CD, and the first two are on iTunes. The second did get released on CD by Blackstone Audio, but only for libraries, and since it sells to libraries, it's about $80, and I'm not paying that. I'd rather have all three in a uniform format. I've been combing eBay to see if an library anywhere is selling it off, but no luck so far.
Check them out and rip them to iTunes.
Old 09-25-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why in the hell did they leave him alone with her when they knew how bad her dementia had become? Surely Nora could've stayed? Setrakian and Fet are the only one who were actually useful anyway, they should've gone down, maybe take Eph as backup, and leave Nora with her mother. And after all of the screaming and ratting, she waited patiently for him to go and get the smokes?
Was anyone else expecting the mother to complain about the kid getting the wrong brand of cigarettes?

Originally Posted by rfduncan

I understand where you're coming from. I'm very hesitant to start watching a new series that heavily depends on a gigantic plotline that needs multiple seasons to play out in a satisfying way.

But at least you know The Strain has a definitive plan with an end in sight (even now). 3 more 13 (or so) episode seasons (after the already confirmed season 2) doesn't seem like a big stretch. And worse case scenario - if it gets cancelled early, you can always read the books and find out what would've happened.
Old 09-25-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
Yeah it made no sense why the vamps in the sewers didn't just attack them en masse and overwhelm them, especially after the master became aware of their presence. There were hundreds, if not thousands of them down there, and it's a confined space. I also don't understand why Zach had to be left alone with Mrs. Martinez. Why was Nora so goddamn important to the mission that she couldn't stay behind to babysit? And the worst bit of all: Eph hears Kelly's voice and immediately abandons the mission and runs off after her like a moron. Did he expect to find her alive and uninfected just wandering around the sewers? Honestly, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing everyone killed off except Setrakian, Fet and Gus. They are the only ones that aren't completely annoying.
I actually like what they did with Gus this week as they finally had him in kick ass mode. Of all the main characters, Eph is my least favorite by far, especially when he pulls out his "I'm the head of the CDC" card.

Book readers, at what point in the first novel are we at? I read the books a long time ago and don't really know which point we are at.
Old 09-25-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Book readers, at what point in the first novel are we at? I read the books a long time ago and don't really know which point we are at.
Technically, still in the first book, but they've already pulled some elements from the second book into the series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.