DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Married with Children, Bud Bundy spin-off/reboot coming (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/622264-married-children-bud-bundy-spin-off-reboot-coming.html)

Jory 09-11-14 03:43 PM

Married with Children, Bud Bundy spin-off/reboot coming

The Bundys are coming back to television! E! reports this morning that a new take on "Married... With Children" is in the works with plans for a spinoff series to follow the life of David Faustino's Bud Bundy and, presumably, his new family.

Sony Pictures Television is said to be in the pitch process for the series at the moment with no confirmation as of yet as to who else might return.

"Married... With Children" was created by Ron Leavitt and Michael G. Moye and premiered in 1987, running an impressive 11 seasons. It stars Ed O'Neill as Al Bundy, the begrudging patriarch of a modern-day dysfunctional family with Katey Sagal playing his wife, Peggy, Christina Applegate his daughter, Kelly and Faustino his son, Bud.

"Married... With Children" follows rebooted series like "Girl Meets World" and the upcoming "Full House" as part of an ongoing wave of nostalgia-fueled small screen fare.

(link)
Mixed feelings. Married with Children is the only sitcom I've ever loved, but they attempted four spin-offs in the past that failed miserably. (Two were backdoor pilot episodes that never even got a series.) On the other hand, David Faustino's short-lived web-series Star-ving (which I think can still be watched for free on Crackle) was a pretty hilarious attempt to out-debauch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I just hope that the presence of Al, Peg, and Kelly won't be limited to occasional cameos.

dex14 09-11-14 03:49 PM

Re: Married with Children, Bud Bundy spin-off/reboot coming

This is the original E! article. http://www.eonline.com/news/578158/c...-sagal-reveals

No where does it say they are doing a spin off. All that was said was:

"We're going to do something with Dave maybe. I don't know if it will be in character," she spilled. "But I don't really know. I don't know what that's going to be. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak on that at all. So I should probably stop talking about it right now!"

Edit: I see the Coming Soon aritcle links to the Hollywood Reporter, which makes it more official than sourcing E!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...f-works-732268

Shannon Nutt 09-11-14 05:27 PM

It's not the worst idea in the world. I could see it working.

Mike86 09-11-14 05:33 PM

I used to like Married With Children but honestly its aged terribly in my opinion. I don't know that I'd bother with this if anything actually happens.

devilshalo 09-11-14 06:09 PM

Grandmaster B: the series?!

clckworang 09-11-14 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12230817)
I used to like Married With Children but honestly its aged terribly in my opinion. I don't know that I'd bother with this if anything actually happens.

I completely agree. I find it hard to watch now.

Mike86 09-11-14 07:22 PM

I dunno it just doesn't have the same charm to me as it used to. I enjoy the cast and all that but I just think the series is too over the top for its own good most of the time and it reeks of the 90s (not in a good way).

Sweet Baby James 09-11-14 08:08 PM

Al Bundy will always be the man. I start my day watching a couple of episodes on TBS before heading off to work.

robin2099 09-11-14 09:11 PM

I completely agree. I find it hard to watch now.
I completely disagree. I've been watching it on TBS and still think it holds up pretty well in terms of the laughs.

Charlie Goose 09-11-14 10:23 PM

Remember the lingerie episode where some old man was wearing ladies' underwear, and the entire world exploded and everyone upon it died?
25+ years later, it seems more quaint than shocking.

Jory 09-11-14 10:37 PM

^ I still found it hilarious when I revisited the show recently. :lol: Timing is everything.

Skip to 15:40:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c8bTi39GqBo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Original Desmond 09-11-14 11:13 PM

Please NO !

Jackskeleton 09-12-14 02:05 AM

Hell yeah, I'll be up for this. I still think it was a tragedy that this show didn't get a proper send off. It practically built Fox along with the Simpsons.

My Other Self 09-12-14 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 12231338)
Hell yeah, I'll be up for this. I still think it was a tragedy that this show didn't get a proper send off. It practically built Fox along with the Simpsons.

I was young, but I remember watching some of the final season when it was originally airing.

I think what dates the show is how cheap it was shot. But the comedy itself is still very funny to me. I'd watch this.

GoldenJCJ 09-12-14 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12231370)
I think what dates the show is how cheap it was shot. But the comedy itself is still very funny to me. I'd watch this.

Oh it was terribly cheap and the audience at times was insanely obnoxious but a lot of that adds to the charm. I remember watching an episode where the Bundy's were holding off an angry mob at their door and Katey Sagal started saying her lines, had to pause while the audience went apeshit, and then repeated her lines again once the audience settled down. :lol: They didn't seem to have the budget for multiple takes or decent editing to hide the repeated part of dialogue but it was still great.

There was plenty wrong with the show, Kelly bordering on retardation near the end, the "cousin Oliver" they brought in for a time (and then just as quickly dropped), etc. but overall it had some pretty solid humor throughout.

TheKing 09-12-14 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12231393)
Oh it was terribly cheap and the audience at times was insanely obnoxious but a lot of that adds to the charm. I remember watching an episode where the Bundy's were holding off an angry mob at their door and Katey Sagal started saying her lines, had to pause while the audience went apeshit, and then repeated her lines again once the audience settled down. :lol: They didn't seem to have the budget for multiple takes or decent editing to hide the repeated part of dialogue but it was still great.

There was plenty wrong with the show, Kelly bordering on retardation near the end, the "cousin Oliver" they brought in for a time (and then just as quickly dropped), etc. but overall it had some pretty solid humor throughout.

That wasn't a budgetary decision, that was what the show was about. The audience was a part of the show. To me it's the best studio audience for any show ever. You knew it wasn't canned on that show. If something got seriously flubbed, they would do another take. But they weren't trying to hide the fact the audience was there live, they pushed it as far into the forefront as they could.

Original Desmond 09-12-14 05:42 AM

My main problem with this is Faustino doesn't deserve any more stardom. He has done FUCK ALL since the show ended. Look at what the rest of the cast has done.

Sweet Baby James 09-12-14 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 12231460)
My main problem with this is Faustino doesn't deserve any more stardom. He has done FUCK ALL since the show ended. Look at what the rest of the cast has done.

There aren't too many roles for an adult man that is 5 feet tall.

RichC2 09-12-14 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 12231525)
There aren't too many roles for an adult man that is 5 feet tall.

Yeah, Seth Green took them all.

fuzzbox 09-12-14 09:15 AM

As a MwC and Parker Lewis fan, I found Star-Ving hilarious, and would love to see more Faustino again. Unfortunately, that show would never fly on TV. With the right writers, this could have potential. Sadly, there are not a lot of great writers in hollywood nowadays.

Mike86 09-12-14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12231393)

I think the show was at its best during the first four seasons or so. It was right around the time when Steve left and Jefferson got brought into the picture when the show started to go downhill a bit in my opinion. I realize that the humor was intentionally over the top and the show was supposed to look cheap/corny and the Bundy's were supposed to be essentially a white trash family but I dunno. The humor in a lot of ways just hasn't really held up I think and the cheapness of the show along with the styles of the time it was made in I just think has made it not stand up to time. There are certain elements about it I like and Ed O'Neil as Al a lot of times was on the top of his game on the show but it just isn't as enjoyable to me as it once was.

fumanstan 09-12-14 04:25 PM

Seven was made the show jump the shark :sad:

Giantrobo 09-12-14 05:06 PM

I'm shocked at the support for this. :lol:

Damfino 09-12-14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12232229)
Seven was made the show jump the shark :sad:

At least they had the sense to give him the Chuck Cunningham treatment.

robin2099 09-12-14 06:23 PM

[QUOTE]Hell yeah, I'll be up for this. I still think it was a tragedy that this show didn't get a proper send off. It practically built Fox along with the Simpsons.[QUOTE]

Agreed. I wonder if Ed would even come back to cameo in this. They talked about a TV movie before but he said he had no interest after they cancelled the show with no send off.