Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Strain (S1E08) -- "Creatures of the Night" -- 8/31/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Strain (S1E08) -- "Creatures of the Night" -- 8/31/14

Episode 8 / Production #108 - "Creatures of the Night" (Airs August 31, 10:00 pm e/p) -After discovering the potency of ultraviolet light against the strigoi, Setrakian gains a new and unlikely disciple. A quick trip to a Brooklyn convenience store turns into a deadly all-night siege. Teleplay by Chuck Hogan; directed by Guy Ferland.

Episode 8 of 13
Old 08-31-14, 08:28 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E08) -- "Creatures of the Night" -- 8/31/14

I didn't think there was a new episode today, glad there is
Old 08-31-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Rick Baker sighting...

Uh oh...
Old 08-31-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Holeeee sheeee-yit! Is that the episode you all have been waiting for?!

After Jim was already infected (and they knew it), why not send him for the truck?

Despite his constantly shifting accent (none, Eastern block, Irish, none), Fet is definitely my favorite character.
Old 08-31-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Rick Baker sighting!
He has a cameo?

"Bullets rarely harm them."
Yes, but he was limping afterwards, wasn't that a silver-filled bullet?

So the cabby randomly decides to leave them when they have money? Don't get me wrong, getting the hell out of there was intelligent, but if he was dumb enough to bring them, you'd think he'd have stayed for money.

The Walking Dead did nearly this exact storyline in season one too, is the episode which is Die Hard meets Dawn of the Dead in miniature now done by all series which want to show off how big their budgets are?

"We're burglars now?"
Well, you are aiding and abetting a felon. At this point, that wouldn't be your biggest worry now, would it?

I say this every week, but the digital cinematography and production values continue to be impressive as hell, as are the set pieces. This show seems to have a new DP every week or two, and they've almost all been ASC, CSC, or BSC.

Still not fixing the cringe-worthy dialogue.
"This battle is over before it even began."
It's already begun. Hence the vampires outside.

"The credit card is good."
Um, why are people going about their business like nothing is happening? Have you it heard about the bloodshed and chaos outside? Though frighteningly enough, I work retail, and unless you can get to the TV in the break room, your phone is your window to the outside world. That going down is pretty scary.

Yes, that's right, wander around a public place and tell everyone you hacked the whole of New York City. Surely that's an intelligent decision. Then you can go to jail as a martyr for your cause.

"It's a crazy old man with a blood sword!"
I'm not a stereotype of English people! And did you not see the figure with human blood on its mouth bleeding white? THAT doesn't bother you any?

"I have to count this first!"
Your minimum wage job is worth dying for? You just saw demons get decapitated and you're worried about money?

"I need a plug!"
If all of this stuff is down, why is there still electricity?

"Then why'd you just lock is in?"
You're seriously not getting this?

"Is that old man joking?"
No, you dumb bitch. Have you not seen them react to sunlight and shoot phallic stingers out of their blood-covered mouths. What do you think they are, drunk cosplayers? What you did was part of a strategic plan and now you're an accessory to the goddamn apocalypse. Anarchy 101, when you tear something down, you'd better be sure about what you or up in its place. In 24 hours, "power to the people" won't be for the people.

"From Home Depot."
LOL.

Has Setrakian been doing nothing but pawning silver and making bullets and nails for years? How does he have this many?

Fet is the only intelligent enough to be accepting what's going on straight away. "What are the rules?" Thank you. That is the correct question to ask.

"A little less volume please?"
A second who you were bragging about it. Funny, that.

Now that the show is finally in motion, it's moving along at a brisk enough pace that the flaws are much more tolerable. Hopefully it lead into the next season nicely.

"I'm making a list of everything you're stealing!"
"I'm leaving!"
Are your guy seriously not get this?

That's a long-ass extension cord.

"When will you decide to believe me?!"
Seriously, after what you've seen, your ass should be taking every minute thing he says as gospel.

Nice touch with he milk, first time that wasn't annoying.

How did no one figure out that Jim had been bitten? You saw the stinger hit him, do you need a diagram?

Incidentally, I know no one cares, but I have solved the audiobook mystery. The second book on CD was outsourced as a library exclusive, so you can only get it if you're willing to pay the price of a library, which is upwards of $80. Just wonderful. I have search is flagged on eBay for the ISBN number, but so far no luck. Such as excitement in my life . Still no explanation as to why iTunes doesn't have the damn third one. Don't they know they the world revolves around my wants and needs? I want to reread these now that the show has started.

Not sure you could just randomly transplant the wheels to another car of a different size and shape, but hey, at least it constitutes actual action. Gruesome surgery scene. Figured it wouldn't work though. Jim was a goner. Is he even in the books?

"You killed the others, it was a solution for them."
"That was different."
No, it wasn't. I hate to be callous though. If it was my friend, God knows is probably be in even worse denial. Simple cliche, but an eerily effective one.

There's a real darkness to Fet, he's awfully matter-of-fact about this. They're lucky he's on their side. I get the sense this opened a really dark door in him.

Offering an alcoholic a drink and not knowing it. Kind of spooky. Are you at some point planning on telling him that this is partially your fault?

So the credit card machines in the store don't work, but the ones at the pumps do? What?! The premium gag as nice :biggrin:.

How many silver bullets do they have? There must be a limit to them. I don't suppose the store had one of those whatchamacallits that'd let you connect a plug to a car battery to charge the lamps?

Ah! The city is in a state of mass panic, but there isn't any traffic? Amazing.

Overall, this was a pretty kickass episode even if it did basically amount to time-filler. This show has now dispensed with the exposition, and the flaws are a lot easier to swallow now that it's moving. I'll never get used to they final credit where Technicolor now does things digitally. Alas, the future is here. Anyway, glad that this show has finally improved enough to be worth following.
Old 09-01-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode. It didn't really move the story along, but it was enjoyable as hell and that's good enough for me.

Getting Vasiliy Fet in with the rest of the group is going to really pep things up. Glad Abraham will have someone who he can releate to now.
Old 09-01-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This series has really picked up. It got off to a slow start, but it's making up for it now.

It's fun to see vampires portrayed as ugly, evil soul-suckers (literally!). It would be even more shocking if we hadn't seen similar ones in Blade II.

Not to say there's not room for both types, though. I do love me some Spike and Erik.
Old 09-01-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Fucking awesome episode. The standoff at the gas station was exciting and scary.

Poor Jim. Removing one worm didn't do the trick. Setrakian should have just decapitated him to really piss off Eph.

I guess the poor Indian guy behind the counter turned into crispy fried Tandori vampire meat. I was when he was keeping a tally on what was stolen.

I'm liking Vaseline Fet. Pretty badass character.
Old 09-01-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Rick Baker sighting...

Uh oh...
Yeah I caught that cameo.
Old 09-01-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Decent episode. I got kinda annoyed near the end of the gas station standoff when the majority of the characters started acting like morons.

I think Fet and Abraham are the only two that aren't total idiots on this show. I enjoyed most of the episode but I find it laughable that Eph is still trying to find a medical cure for this when it is obvious that there is none to be found.
Old 09-01-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't get why the characters battle with morals and ethics. That latina is the worst.

Poor Apu getting fried.
Old 09-01-14, 08:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Pretty much this seasons "bottle episode" last night, but a decent one at that. Now they have a posse (with hacker girl). Caught the Rick Baker sighting immediately...silver ponytail and all.
Old 09-01-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Despite his constantly shifting accent (none, Eastern block, Irish, none), Fet is definitely my favorite character.
His accent does slip every other scene. They should have just changed him into a normal New Yorker if they wanted that actor.

This episode is what I think most people were expecting when they thought vampire apocalypse in NYC. They really dragged out the opening storylines needlessly, I still have no idea why so many episodes were devoted to following a few survivors of the plane.

I was a little surprised they didn't make more of a push to save that clerk, but he seemed pretty dumb to ignore what was happening.
Old 09-01-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Apparently, everyone's stopped being scared of worms trying to attack them. Samwise bites the bullet so of course the thing to do is to crouch next to the bleeding corpse and start weeping.
Old 09-01-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So credit cards don't work inside, but they work at the gas pumps. I'll have to remember that during the next apocalypse.
Old 09-01-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

i just finished watching this and it was fun as fuck. It was the "Assault on Precinct 13" episode. What a cock tease, though, I was expecting some Vampire-Vampire Hunters! Oh well, next week for sure in addition to The Master. The Rick Baker cameo was cool. I'm really starting to like the Euro hacker broad. She's sexy.

Seriously, you complainers, just hit up the fucking library and check out the 3 books already.

I really do like that the show takes no prisoners.

Bye Sam.
Old 09-01-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The hacker, exterminator and epipen's group all ending up within a half block of each other struck me as a little top convenient. I'm surprised the city jail wasn't right there so what's his name could join the crew too.

Also, the plan at the end seemed a little odd. Creating a big fire to destroy the vamps, I guess? It seemed like a lot of danger when rushing the truck with the lamps and weapons probably would have been quicker.

Han, it's tough to address your 80 paragraph post point by point, but old dude said if the slug hits bone it causes them more pain. Plus, I would assume that was silver.

As for the cabbie, she gave him the cash and said "Wait here." Since he already had his fare, he had no good reason to stick around.

As for why there's still electricity, the attack seemed to be on satellites controlling phones and TV, not on the grid.
Old 09-01-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love how the hacker from "Citizens for Liberty" has done this for the "the people" to take a shot at the big corporations, then promptly takes a huge payday for it. Fight for the little guy, yeah! This'll show them to give power the people who're dying because their communications are cut off . Great thing to do for your poor downtrodden.
Old 09-01-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy hell that was awesome. As a fan of the books I was about an episode away from dropping the series but these last two have really picked up steam. Really fun episode.
Old 09-02-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So credit cards don't work inside, but they work at the gas pumps. I'll have to remember that during the next apocalypse.
That was my big "come on" moment in this one.

It would have been easier to believe that he could cut the hose, and, even without power (and a likely auto-shutoff) the gas would go everywhere. Anything but the credit card.

This show is dumb as hell with the specifics. But it's so much fun to watch shit hit the fan.
Old 09-02-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That was my big "come on" moment in this one.

It would have been easier to believe that he could cut the hose, and, even without power (and a likely auto-shutoff) the gas would go everywhere. Anything but the credit card.

This show is dumb as hell with the specifics. But it's so much fun to watch shit hit the fan.
It was mine as well. But it did give us a couple great lines about waiting for approval, and finally, approved! One with accent and one without.
Old 09-02-14, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought it was funny that he kept calling the attendant Apu.

Old 09-02-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Credit Cards weren't completely not working. The system was running slow causing them to sometimes work and sometimes not.
Old 09-02-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's when the store was powered. Then the transformer on the pole was destroyed leaving them without power. Thus the confusion on why the gas station pumps had power.

Look, it was a nice episode and all, but WHAT THE HELL, SHOW?! WHEN ARE WE GOING TO TOUCH BACK ON THAT CUSTODY HEARING?!!?!
Old 09-02-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm surprised they killed off Astin. I guess they didn't want to keep the "is he or isn't he a traitor" storyline going.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.