Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Strain (S1E07) -- "For Services Rendered" -- 8/24/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-24-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Episode 7 / Production #107 - "For Services Rendered" (Airs August 24, 10:00 pm e/p) - Setrakian, Eph, and Nora formulate a plan to track down the Master using Jim as bait. Eichhorst and Setrakian's pasts are revealed. At the Luss home, Neeva struggles to protect the children while encountering a mysterious stranger whose help she may not want. Teleplay by Bradley Thompson & David Weddle; directed by Charlotte Sieling.

Episode 7 of 13

Renewed for a 13 episode 2nd season, which will air Summer 2015

Previous Threads:

Episode 6
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...8-17-14-a.html

Episode 5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...8-10-14-a.html

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...8-03-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-27-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-20-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-13-14-a.html
Old 08-24-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Communications companies have been unable to reverse the cell phone and Internet blackout."
But apparently, it's easy to watch TV!

"Cell service unavailable."
Um, you just made a phone call, WTF?

What part of "start the car" are you struggling with? Are the monsters smashing on the windows not incentive enough for you to be anywhere else in the known universe?

"What the shit!"
I've never heard that expression in my life, but I guess you can't say "fuck" while you're showing someone being shot in the head.

"We've got video!"
Then why, pray tell, didn't you show it to the FBI last week, you moron?

Maybe you should start trusting Setrakian. Though what he's saying seems out there, he's been right about everything so far, he's saved your ass at least twice, and he seems to be the only one in the Vicky with a fucking clue what's going on.

"We will prevail!"
I have never met anyone who speaks like that. Was "we can do this" not good enough?

Evidently Stoll doesn't like wigs, or it's commonplace for people in NYC to wear hats indoors. Why not show Jim's wife the video that you talked about ten minutes ago? Oh, that's right. That'd make sense.

I know it's not the intention, and I'm hoping it's not meant to trivialize it, but I still find the concentration camp stuff uncomfortable. Nazis as evil vampiric monsters feels a little too pat.

"I'm a nurse!"
You're what, 17? My friend is a nurse, she spent four grueling years at a top nursing institution from which she graduated at 21 and still had a learning curve. Don't think you can cure vampirism from high school health class.

"Citizens for Liberty?"
Even if that was the name a cockamamie student rebellion group like one I'd probably would've joined if I'd had a political awakening in college like I should've, is there one with enough power to bring down the entire damn Internet and phone service? In the suburbs, maybe. New York doesn't have the security to handle it?

You know, I'm as suburban and whitebread as they come, but when I watched The Wire, though I had no actual experience at all, I found the manner of speech used by the characters completely believable, with an almost Elmore Leonard street-poetry style. "Get your bitch ass off the bench," however, does not sound like the way that he'd actually speak, and if it is, the actor can't deliver the line in a way which sounds like a real person.

Setrakian has balls to speak freely and directly to Eichorst. I'd never speak my mind to my boss at work for fear of losing my job, much less my life. Liked the stuff between him and Eichorst in the concentration camp quite a bit, though it was better than most of the other writing. Heavy-handed TV philosophizing, yes, but much better than most of the stuff going on in the main narrative.

"It's much easier to do nothing, isn't it? Safer?"
Liked that line. If there's one truth about life I've figured out recently, it's that nothing can be more dangerous than the wrong thing. At least you learn from fucking up. Of course it's a completely different thing since his life is on the line in the center of hell, but all the same, nice line.
"If God really existed, what do you suppose he would think of you?"
Very nice.

What the hell was Palmer's line to Eichorst supposed to mean? What'd he say?

The closed captions actually said "pissing in sink." Who wrote them?!

Really nice work from whoever choreographed the vampire movements.

"It's hungry!"
"Hungry for what?!"
That isn't self-explanatory to you?! Also, even if you aren't intelligent enough to see it burned by the sunlight which is nowejere to be found except where the plot requires it in the overlit house, do you not have the damn common sense to go outside?! Why stay in the house and barricade yourself in one room when you've seen a stinger coming out of her mouth? What goes through your mind?

"Who the hell is that weird-ass hunter? Must be part of the Ancient Ones' hit squad. Thought it might be Quinland, but now I'm not thinking so.

This episode slowed the already dragging pace of the narrative, but I really liked the flashback stuff this time, unlike last week, so I thought that brought it up considerably.

This digital cinematography and FX work continue to be top-of-the-line on the plus side. The nighttime scenes with the bleeding colors look stunning.
Old 08-25-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Strain (S1E07) -- "For Services Rendered" -- 8/24/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
"What the shit!"
I've never heard that expression in my life, but I guess you can't say "fuck" while you're showing someone being shot in the head.
Apparently you don't watch Archer.

Old 08-25-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really liked this episode. The ending was really good. Yeah it was kind of dumb overall but it was fun dumb.
Old 08-25-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

$8.50 for a taxi ride any where in New York? Come on, now that's over the line in believability in this show.
Old 08-25-14, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

at the dumbass cabbie freaking out and busting out the gun instead of starting the engine.

Entertaining episode, I liked the back story with Setrakian and Eichorst in addition to their little confrontation at the end.

Who the hell were those guys at the end? The poor Nanny's daughter. One little nick and she was fucked.
Old 08-25-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
"Communications companies have been unable to reverse the cell phone and Internet blackout."
But apparently, it's easy to watch TV!

"Cell service unavailable."
Um, you just made a phone call, WTF?

What part of "start the car" are you struggling with? Are the monsters smashing on the windows not incentive enough for you to be anywhere else in the known universe?

"What the shit!"

"We've got video!"
Then why, pray tell, didn't you show it to the FBI last week, you moron?

Maybe you should start trusting Setrakian. Though what he's saying seems out there, he's been right about everything so far, he's saved your ass at least twice, and he seems to be the only one in the Vicky with a fucking clue what's going on.

"We will prevail!"
I have never met anyone who speaks like that. Was "we can do this" not good enough?

Evidently Stoll doesn't like wigs, or it's commonplace for people in NYC to wear hats indoors. Why not show Jim's wife the video that you talked about ten minutes ago? Oh, that's right. That'd make sense.

I know it's not the intention, and I'm hoping it's not meant to trivialize it, but I still find the concentration camp stuff uncomfortable. Nazis as evil vampiric monsters feels a little too pat.

"I'm a nurse!"
You're what, 17? My friend is a nurse, she spent four grueling years at a top nursing institution from which she graduated at 21 and still had a learning curve. Don't think you can cure vampirism from high school health class.

"Citizens for Liberty?"
Even if that was the name a cockamamie student rebellion group like one I'd probably would've joined if I'd had a political awakening in college like I should've, is there one with enough power to bring down the entire damn Internet and phone service? In the suburbs, maybe. New York doesn't have the security to handle it?

You know, I'm as suburban and whitebread as they come, but when I watched The Wire, though I had no actual experience at all, I found the manner of speech used by the characters completely believable, with an almost Elmore Leonard street-poetry style. "Get your bitch ass off the bench," however, does not sound like the way that he'd actually speak, and if it is, the actor can't deliver the line in a way which sounds like a real person.

Setrakian has balls to speak freely and directly to Eichorst. I'd never speak my mind to my boss at work for fear of losing my job, much less my life. Liked the stuff between him and Eichorst in the concentration camp quite a bit, though it was better than most of the other writing. Heavy-handed TV philosophizing, yes, but much better than most of the stuff going on in the main narrative.

"It's much easier to do nothing, isn't it? Safer?"
Liked that line. If there's one truth about life I've figured out recently, it's that nothing can be more dangerous than the wrong thing. At least you learn from fucking up. Of course it's a completely different thing since his life is on the line in the center of hell, but all the same, nice line.
"If God really existed, what do you suppose he would think of you?"
Very nice.

What the hell was Palmer's line to Eichorst supposed to mean? What'd he say?

The closed captions actually said "pissing in sink." Who wrote them?!

Really nice work from whoever choreographed the vampire movements.

"It's hungry!"
"Hungry for what?!"
That isn't self-explanatory to you?! Also, even if you aren't intelligent enough to see it burned by the sunlight which is nowejere to be found except where the plot requires it in the overlit house, do you not have the damn common sense to go outside?! Why stay in the house and barricade yourself in one room when you've seen a stinger coming out of her mouth? What goes through your mind?

"Who the hell is that weird-ass hunter? Must be part of the Ancient Ones' hit squad. Thought it might be Quinland, but now I'm not thinking so.

This episode slowed the already dragging pace of the narrative, but I really liked the flashback stuff this time, unlike last week, so I thought that brought it up considerably.

This digital cinematography and FX work continue to be top-of-the-line on the plus side. The nighttime scenes with the bleeding colors look stunning.
I feel like there's nothing left for me to say.
Old 08-25-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm losing this battle. Now the writers aren't paying attention either.

HanShotFirst mentioned closed captioning. Did anybody else have problems hearing/understanding sections of dialogue? I had to rewind a few times. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my cable box to work with captions.

At least this episode ended on an upswing. I didn't see the cryptic ninja monster hit squad coming ... Or The last shot they took!
Old 08-25-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
at the dumbass cabbie freaking out and busting out the gun instead of starting the engine.

Entertaining episode, I liked the back story with Setrakian and Eichorst in addition to their little confrontation at the end.

Who the hell were those guys at the end? The poor Nanny's daughter. One little nick and she was fucked.
I wouldn't call a rocket powered spike to the brain "one little nick."
Old 08-25-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I wouldn't call a rocket powered spike to the brain "one little nick."
I know that. Was talking about the nick to her hand from vampire Mommy. She said she was okay, but Vampire Hitman didn't think so.
Old 08-25-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I know that. Was talking about the nick to her hand from vampire Mommy. She said she was okay, but Vampire Hitman didn't think so.
Hence the wink.

Since we are talking about it, that scene was a bit awkward in the editing. The nanny's daughter looked as is she were diving in front of the "tongue" like a soldier "taking a bullet" in a movie. The next cut is to Mommy Dearest flipping backwards as if the nanny's daughter grabbed its legs and flipped it backwards (think Kung-fu movies). Not sure if they filmed that a few different ways and cut two different approaches together or what ...
Old 08-25-14, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Hence the wink.

Since we are talking about it, that scene was a bit awkward in the editing. The nanny's daughter looked as is she were diving in front of the "tongue" like a soldier "taking a bullet" in a movie. The next cut is to Mommy Dearest flipping backwards as if the nanny's daughter grabbed its legs and flipped it backwards (think Kung-fu movies). Not sure if they filmed that a few different ways and cut two different approaches together or what ...
Yeah, that was confusing. It almost looked like the chick was swinging something but there was nothing in her hands.

Very poor editing.
Old 08-25-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked the Bloodpack coming in to save the day and the back story with Setrakian and Eichorst.
Old 08-25-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I liked the Bloodpack coming in to save the day and the back story with Setrakian and Eichorst.
Old 08-25-14, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I liked the Bloodpack coming in to save the day
There was a definite cool factor to that last sequence. I was pretty bored through most of the episode until they showed up. Then I wanted another ten minutes of show.
Old 08-25-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dave94 View Post
Yeah, that was confusing. It almost looked like the chick was swinging something but there was nothing in her hands. Very poor editing.
Yes, especially when you consider that the editor was credited as being in the ACE. As regards the hunter pack, in the book

Spoiler:
There are seven major vampires who're the leaders of their respective hive minds and form their own clans. The Master is plotting to destroy them and become the only vampire. A sub-collective, known as The Ancient Ones, are a particularly aristocratic set of vampires very specific about who they allow to be turned and immortal. They prefer to remain in secret and not have the world know about their activities, though their influence goes widely into business and other places. Obviously, The Master's plans to subjugate humanity and unleash thousands of vampires to spread the plague are an affront to this, not to mention the fact that he eventually wants to destroy them, so they send a hunting squad out to try to eliminate his spawn and do damage control. They aren't doing anything for the good of humanity, they just want to restore the status quo. As such, they recruit Gus as one of their "day-hunters," since though not immortal or super-strong or telepathic like they are, he has the obvious advantage of being able to walk in daylight. He then recruits several other criminal gang members to become an anti-Master spawn hit-squad. Gus does of course eventually become part of the intrepid squad of good ties we follow through the books-Eph, Nora, Setrakian, Fet, and Mr. Quinland, the last of whom we won't be meeting until far later on.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-29-14 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the hunters are vampires? They look so different from the Master and Eichhorst that I wondered if they were a new faction of supernatural beings.
Old 08-25-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Not much went on, but that ending was definitely badass.
Old 08-25-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A frustratingly inconsistent series, it has a hard time stringing together back-to-back great scenes. The stuff with the vampire squad at the end was most intriguing.

I was hoping for an older age to the Master's coffin but the backstory was interesting. That was a clumsy confrontation between Setrakian and Eichhorst. What exactly was a man nearing 90 going to do with a superpowered vamp?

I am already rooting for Rudy to get killed off.
Old 08-26-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Caught up and had a blast. The vampire-vampire hunters were fucking dope and I really liked the flashbacks between Setrakian and Eichhorst.

Funny enough, I have zero memory about the vampire-vampire hunters from the books that I may need to go and re-read them again, or at least get the graphic novel adaptation. Me and a friend watched the episode and let out a collective "oh shit" when they made their badass appearance.

#mindblown
Old 08-26-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by randian View Post
So the hunters are vampires? They look so different from the Master and Eichhorst that I wondered if they were a new faction of supernatural beings.
They're a different strain of vampires.
Old 08-26-14, 02:27 PM

Will the pure stupidity of the cabbie ever be topped in this series? We shall see.
Old 08-26-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Will the pure stupidity of the cabbie ever be topped in this series? We shall see.
It was very stupid but I forgave it, because he was packing heat and blasted on one of them before getting eaten. If he hadn't I would have groaned. The episode just had great momentum moving forward even with the awesome flashbacks.
Old 08-26-14, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It was very stupid but I forgave it, because he was packing heat and blasted on one of them before getting eaten. If he hadn't I would have groaned. The episode just had great momentum moving forward even with the awesome flashbacks.
Valid point. He did go out OG-style and gained some street cred. Pouring my 40 right now.

The cab scene (among others) is frustrating but I enjoy this better than The Walking Dead soap opera.
Old 08-26-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some people take shows like this way too seriously.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.