TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Blood (S7E10) -- Series Finale -- "Thank You" -- 8/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: True Blood (S7E10) -- Series Finale -- "Thank You" -- 8/24/14

True Blood after the finale:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NLLo8K9oWXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-25-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
She didn't want to lose her fairy powers.
Difference being?
Old 08-25-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by superdeluxe; 08-25-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
They were regularly bleeding from the ears this season when they were up during the day. It happened to Bill during Jessica's wedding. That wasn't forgotten.
The scene that bothered me was Eric and Pam at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), which is only open during the daytime (the opening bell is at 9:30am and the closing bell is at 4:00pm), yet neither one of them was showing any effects of being up during the daytime.
Old 08-25-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Eric Northman. Just looking at that gif makes me happy.

It's a shame we spent most of the finale listening to Bill whine instead.
Old 08-25-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I thought Sookie was going to go full on

on Bill. Too bad we didn't get to see that. The coffin scene was pretty hilarious, though.

Well, it's over. Thankfully. It was a long road to get here. Should've ended at season 4. Nothing happened this season other than just character shit. There was really no point of this show these past few years, honestly.
Old 08-25-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Everyone would've lived much better and in some cases longer lives without Sookie Stackhouse's presence....
Old 08-25-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by professor chaos
At least now I know that the finale could have been worse.

That line is vintage Sookie to the point I can hear her saying it in my head. Not to mention that's the ending about 99% of the people I see posting wanted to see, so idk what your problem with it is?
Old 08-25-14, 03:33 PM

Most of us wanted to see Bill turn human and end up with Sookie? Not unless you are at a Bill & Sookie website. Him dying was the only good thing in the episode, outside of Eric of course.

If they had both turned human, then it would definitely be a worse ending than Dexter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...source=twitter

Brian Buckner's interview trying to defend the finale. I am definitely ok with Bill dying, just think it could've been wound up in 5 or so minutes.
Old 08-25-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

One good thing in the episode outside of most of Eric and Pam's scenes (not all because I didn't care for their jump forward scenes) was that they sprung for paying the $$$ to get Led Zeppelin's "Thank You" song, which alone made that final big get-together scene easier to watch (...well, easier to listen to).
Old 08-25-14, 03:51 PM

Holy crap. I literally just finished watching this, haven't even read any other reactions to it yet. Holy. Crap.

I feel like this will sound hyperbolic, an exaggeration ala Comic Book Guy from someone who probably says this all the time. Believe me, it isn't and I don't. That was the worst finale I've ever watched. Ever. I even enjoyed the Sopranos finale and thought it wasn't bad the same night it aired, while everyone else was ripping it a new one.

I really don't even know what to say. This show was in my top three all-time up to S5, and a good deal of S6, too. This had always been can't miss, stare at the clock every five minutes on Sundays waiting for 9pm TV. What's more, I don't skip through *any* shows I watch - if I did that, I'm not going to be watching the next episode.

So I just cannot believe I fast forwarded through a good 20-25 minutes of this show's *final* episode!!! Can't. Believe. It.

Looking back, I wish I'd skipped even more of it. As soon as it was wedding dress time, that wedding? Yeah - 8× FF. Awful.

This show/season/episode just sucked. Hard. So much so I feel like I'm giving it more attention/merit than it deserves by saying much specifically about last night's episode, but regrettably I can't help myself... what the hell was the point of glimmering Hoyt at all then? Seasons and seasons of character development and plot building the relationship, eliminating all of it, before leading to that the final hour?

Just one night and boom! A Hoyt who has absolutely zero memories - oh, save for the fact he hated her/was so miserable with her that he didn't want to remember *anything*, and, oh yeah, also the fact she was cool with violating his mind so much as to mentally... well, "rape" him by stealing away all those bits of him upon a heat of the moment request. Yeah, one hot and steamy night together with her and definitely, totally! Marry that one, she's perfect for you!

I don't even know what to say about the Sookie and Bill BS. I forgot to mention this last week, but I was waiting for Robert Patrick to show up and rip her goddamn head off. I mean... she'd been living with Alcide, totally happy in a relationship with him. Then.. he dies because of more Sookie BS, and it was like what, literally a week later in show-time (was it even that long?!) and the Emo-Bill TwiBlood travesty took place? L. O. L. Seems to me that Sookie was able to have relationships just fine besides Emo-Bill's glittery ass, for as long as they stayed alive.

Which gets me to the one last thing: This show has always been about the Big Bad. That town was bloody well cursed as all get out, none more so than Vamp-less Sookie. Every time you turned around there wasn't just danger lurking about, but apocalyptic, end of the world $#!t! Sookie should be dead a trillion times over by now without Emo-Bill around every corner.

Whoops! Did the shipper-loving writers forget that part? Yeah, totally, having Sookie kill you, and then Eric off on the other side of the planet making the big buck$$$ (a hundreds of millions-aire, and still sitting on his shoddy throne? 'Kay.)- that should've worked out *reeeal* well for her. So, so well. Let's face it - short of 'writer fictional tripe lala land', Sookie sans Bill Compton and Eric = dead in under a week.

Oh, I'm sorry, she's still got Jessica - Ms. Fae-massacress herself - left in charge of the protection detail, which ought to have turned out just dreamy.

Crap, the way this season began and last ended? It seemed as though their whole world (America, at least) was near abouts destroyed with roving bands of Hep-V vamps laying waste to and fro. This fictional world was not a safe place. Period.

Need I even mention Lilith/etc.? Bill was supposedly 'special', especially after that. We're to believe that just a good old stake to the heart and presto!? That all that vampire mythology and supernatural hullabaloo, and the spiritual/powerful powers that be just let him kill himself?

Not only was this just so off-base from the TB I watched and loved, it almost reached out of the TV and hit us over our heads quite literally with a 'preachy' message: The only thing in life that matters is finding someone to knock you up and have a bunch of kids crawling around. Sookie preggers in the final scene, Jason with a brood already... that last scene, to me, was "You'll never have any happiness if you don't have a passel of young'uns running amok."

Then, add that with the Bill-suicide nonsense (unable to procreate with a vamp'er - which leaves Hoyt I don't know where... adoption?), and in my mind it seems irrefutable that was what the writers here were going for/intended to convey. Serving as a contrast to that you had Eric, largely alone but with all the money in the world, who still appeared as miserable and misanthropic as ever in the closing scene. If the message was *just* "Family+loved ones=everything in the world!", then Bill's deed doesn't work with that very well... he, with Sookie, Jessica, etc. I definitely got the impression that it was kids/new life which was what they were going for.

I think I spent more time tearing this episode apart just now than the writers spent plotting and scripting this whole freaking season, so let me shorten it dramatically to emulate their efforts with but a single word summary/review: Horrid.

At least, if nothing else, with the Strain something excellent has already emerged in my mind to fill the void. I just wish I'd watched this finale first, so the Strain could've washed the taste out of my gray matter.

Last edited by Coladar1; 08-25-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
Most of us wanted to see Bill turn human and end up with Sookie? Not unless you are at a Bill & Sookie website. Him dying was the only good thing in the episode, outside of Eric of course.

If they had both turned human, then it would definitely be a worse ending than Dexter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...source=twitter

Brian Buckner's interview trying to defend the finale. I am definitely ok with Bill dying, just think it could've been wound up in 5 or so minutes.

Sorry, I didn't mean posting here. On Facebook there is an overwhelming number of people who wanted to see the ending I posted.
Old 08-25-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I love how this show was created with this huge gay rights allegory and yet that whole thing got tossed to the side as their most up front gay character, Lafayette, didn't even have a single line of dialogue in the finale.

I still don't get why Sookie had to be the one to kill Bill. Especially if she just wanted to move on, it's not like this is his first puddle melting anyway. But if he was so concerned about Sookie moving on and having a normal life, how about you tell her to use those powers to... I don't know, Not be a fairy any more. Because being a fairy is what has made her life so difficult and chaotic.

You know what else lets someone live a normal life? Not having PTSD every time you see a jar of raspberry jam taking you back to the time when you staked your first love in the grave right outside your house.

"Really Sookie, I love you so much that I want you to literally stake me and have my blood go all up in your mouth and what not, because I love you so much."

It's also rather insulting that the only way that Sookie could ever be happy is by having a baby. Because apparently that's very important to her. And with the "A few years later", I guess they just proved it correctly.
Old 08-25-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I love how this show was created with this huge gay rights allegory and yet that whole thing got tossed to the side as their most up front gay character, Lafayette, didn't even have a single line of dialogue in the finale.
Uh, Jessica's wedding, one of main things that happened this episode, and the legality of it, was a huge gay rights allegory.
Old 08-25-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I guess I just want to forget the fucking mess that is Jessica's ham fisted wedding into the finale since when we last left the characters, their relationship was complete shit and Hoyt hasn't acted like the Hoyt we cheered for in seasons.
Old 08-25-14, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JTH182
Sorry, I didn't mean posting here. On Facebook there is an overwhelming number of people who wanted to see the ending I posted.
Ahh that makes sense.

Of course, mine is full of people celebrating Bill dying so I guess it is based on who you follow.

One thing that is probably consistent, is that few really loved the finale. It was a hot mess.

I guess I just want to forget the fucking mess that is Jessica's ham fisted wedding into the finale since when we last left the characters, their relationship was complete shit and Hoyt hasn't acted like the Hoyt we cheered for in seasons.
That was such BS I am hoping to forget it asap. Hoyt leaving was one of the most heartfelt moments of the series, and then they go and ruin everything with that mess.
Old 08-25-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The scene that bothered me was Eric and Pam at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), which is only open during the daytime (the opening bell is at 9:30am and the closing bell is at 4:00pm), yet neither one of them was showing any effects of being up during the daytime.
I don't think there are any windows in the NYSE main floor. If there are, they certainly could have closed the blinds.
Old 08-25-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But again, they'd be bleeding or acting completely injured. It use to be something to the show that they had to be in their coffin during the day light hours or they'd get fucked up. This season really played fast and loose with that whole notion.
Old 08-25-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac

Maybe they ate a Faerie right before.
Old 08-25-14, 05:55 PM

Sookie married Dexter!
Old 08-25-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

The thing that gets me the most is there was never any real reason given for Bill wanting to die. There were about 1000 different motivations thrown about but none of them felt real. To contrast, that character Godric who only appeared in 2-3 episodes seemed far more believable and had more of an impact with his own "suicide" several seasons back. Was Bill dying because he was tired of life, missed his real family, to help Sookie, to "de-fairy" Sookie or what? Embarassing.

It's a shame that the series hadn't shifted focus to be entirely on Eric and Pam a few years back. The 10 minutes or so of them in this episode was like it came from an entirely different, better series that had some of the potential and satire TB did back when it was a better show in the first 2-3 years.
Old 08-25-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And let's be honest, there's no reason why Eric and Pam couldn't have killed those people in just the same amount of time in the past situations of this very season.

It's as if the writers just remembered who these characters were for these last 10 minutes of screen time for them.

The "big bad" or even just sticky situations they put in front of these characters this season makes you think they don't even know their own character's background anymore.
Old 08-25-14, 06:35 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

And let's be honest, there's no reason why Eric and Pam couldn't have killed those people in just the same amount of time in the past situations of this very season.

It's as if the writers just remembered who these characters were for these last 10 minutes of screen time for them.

The "big bad" or even just sticky situations they put in front of these characters this season makes you think they don't even know their own character's background anymore.
It's the Christopher Nolan school of screenwriting. Just use whatever plot device you need at that time to set up the scene you need whether or not it makes any sense or is at all consistent with plot elements or world building rules you created earlier.

So if you need Eric and Pam captured they just give up when guns are pointed at them, but when they need the Yakuza use the fact that they can move so fast that they can kill all of them before they react. It's infuriating.

Stay true to the mythology you created.
Old 08-25-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The finale had two good parts. One was Eric driving the Evo. The other was Eric and Pam's ending. The rest? Meh.

It doesn't even make sense that Bill was okay with Sookie not killing him with her power, since his reason was so that it would make her human and the other vampires wouldn't come after her.

Ultimately, this was a show that was ruined by taking itself way too damn seriously. It was always at it's best when it was silly and fun. Oh well, it's over now, and at least there were a few good moments this season.
Old 08-25-14, 06:44 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Really painful episode to get through, Only good bits were Eric and Pam

How come Jason and Brigette's daughter looked well older than 3 years ?

I think it was cool Sookie ending up with generic Joe Bloggs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.