Reload this Page >

Intruders (BBC America) - S: Simm, Sorvino -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 8/23/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-22-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

From writer and executive producer Glen Morgan (The X-Files), Intruders is about a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others. A contemporary, chilling, paranormal tale set in the moody Pacific Northwest, the eight part series spins a fascinating and complex web of drama. As strange, apparently unrelated events start happening, multiple story-lines – a missing wife, an assassin covering his crimes, a child on the run – begin to intertwine to reveal a conspiracy that will forever change our understanding of human nature. Produced by BBC Worldwide Productions, the series is based on British novelist Michael Marshall Smith’s ‘The Intruders’. Intruders premieres Saturday, August 23 at 10/9c on BBC AMERICA.

Jack Whelan (John Simm), a former LAPD cop with a troubled and violent history, finds the quiet idyllic life he has crafted with his wife, Amy (Mira Sorvino), shattered when she vanishes. Jack is drawn deeper into the mystery when his high school friend, Gary Fischer (Tory Kittles), shows up on his doorstep asking for help with a murder case. Initially dismissive of Gary’s claims, the more Jack investigates the more complex and surreal his discoveries become. What Jack uncovers leads him down the dark path of his own past and closer to the terrifying revelations about a secret society known as Qui Reverti.

In order to conceal the truth, an assassin named Richard Shepherd (James Frain) is embarking on a series of lethal executions and is in pursuit of a seemingly innocent nine-year-old girl, Madison (Millie Brown) – a run away with a score to settle who could be the end of them all.

With Gary’s help, Jack is determined to find and save the wife he loves, at any cost…

“Because in the beginning, there was death.”

Simm previously starred in the hit BBC AMERICA series Life on Mars, State of Play and Doctor Who. He is joined by Sorvino, whose multi-award winning body of work includes Mighty Aphrodite, Norma Jean & Marilyn and Human Trafficking. BBC AMERICA welcomes James Frain (The White Queen, Tron: Legacy, True Blood) and Tory Kittles (True Detective) to the channel, and 10-year-old Millie Brown (Once Upon a Time in Wonderland), making her debut in a series lead role.

Under the direction of Eduardo Sanchez (The Blair Witch Project, Exists) and Daniel Stamm (13 Sins, The Last Exorcism), the creative team includes acclaimed production designer Mark Freeborn (Breaking Bad), and the series has music by Bear McCreary (The Walking Dead). The series is executive produced by Jane Tranter (Criminal Justice, Getting On, Da Vinci’s Demons) and Julie Gardner (Getting On, Doctor Who, Torchwood) for BBC Worldwide Productions, Glen Morgan and Rose Lam (The L Word). BBC Worldwide distribute the series internationally.

Intruders is part of BBC AMERICA’s slate of dramas including original series Orphan Black, The Game, A Poet in New York,Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Ripper Street, In The Flesh, Atlantis, and Doctor Who.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mQw0rwf8xkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8 episode season. Premieres tomorrow night on BBC America. This isn't an import series, so this is airing for the 1st time. Thought I would post this early since this is essentially the last new summer scripted show debuting. And I'm guessing some of you probably aren't aware of it.
Old 08-22-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Intruders (BBC America) - S: Simm, Sorvino -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 8/23/14

So Mira is jumping back and forth to shoot this and Fallen Skies?
Old 08-24-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Intruders (BBC America) - S: Simm, Sorvino -- Season 1 Thread -- Starts 8/23/14

I found episode 1 kind of slow, but intriguing. I didn't love it, but I'd like to see how next week goes if it really hooks me in. The good thing is its a super short season with only 8 episodes. The A plot with Jack and Amy along with her disappearance was pretty interesting. I guess the wife isn't who she seems.

Not sure I really understood the B plot with the Assassin and strange little girl. I did when she abruptly drowned the cat. It doesn't seem like the two plots are really connected.

Glen Morgan is a really good writer/producer. He did X-Files, Millenium and Final Destination, so this genre is up his alley.
Old 08-24-14, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not as captivating as the Orphan Black S1 premiere, but interesting enough to keep watching.

My assumption while watching the premiere was that the Madison/Shepherd plot was as important as, and related to, the Jack/Amy plot.

Based on the scenes between Shepherd and Madison at the beach, and Shepherd and the radio conspiracy guy, there are people who have learned to cheat death by jumping into other bodies. Madison definitely has someone else inhabiting her body (can't remember the man's name, but she said it at one point), I assume something similar is happening to Amy (based on Amy's apparent changes, like her sudden love of old jazz music).
Old 08-24-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

My assumption while watching the premiere was that the Madison/Shepherd plot was as important as, and related to, the Jack/Amy plot.

Based on the scenes between Shepherd and Madison at the beach, and Shepherd and the radio conspiracy guy, there are people who have learned to cheat death by jumping into other bodies. Madison definitely has someone else inhabiting her body (can't remember the man's name, but she said it at one point), I assume something similar is happening to Amy (based on Amy's apparent changes, like her sudden love of old jazz music).
Pretty much my thoughts. I liked it more than I thought I would. Although I did kinda wonder why the conspiracy theorist would open the door to Shepard, since he was already suspicious of him.
Old 08-28-14, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they gave it away with the mention of the Bilderberg Group in the background. It's going to be about a group of wealthy people from the Jazz Age that move from body to body to avoid death.
Old 08-28-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 2nd episode which is streaming online right now fleshes out the story a bit more. This should have been a 2 hr premiere on TV.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/intruders/...u-must-listen/

Last edited by mrhan; 08-28-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the Shepherd character. He seems to work for the intruders, since he's giving out intruder logo business cards, but then he's killing them and searching for the girl for no clear reason.
Old 09-03-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there are probably factions within the intruders with different agendas. I haven't seen anything in two episodes that has blown me away, the idea of a little girl with an adult male mind is shocking but has been explored in other places.

I think the conspiracy theorists are a little ham-fisted in this series.
Old 09-14-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep watching, but it's not very good. Anyone else sticking with it?
Old 09-14-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
I keep watching, but it's not very good. Anyone else sticking with it?
I am at the end of my rope after four episodes. It's a mystery series without a compelling protagonist and I've grown bored of the adult male speaking through the young girl.

It's a clumsy show that didn't reveal enough concrete information in the beginning. You will lose an audience if you hold too many cards in reserve and that has happened in Intruders. The concept probably would have worked better over a three-hour movie.
Old 10-13-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the finale, I hope we get a second season.
Old 10-14-14, 03:26 AM

Ratings were awful and it had no critical acclaim. If they didn't renew Utopia, I can't imagine they'll renew this. If they renewed it, I'd watch it, but I'm ambivalent about its return.