Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever Rewatch Serial Shows Cancelled Prematurely ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do you ever Rewatch Serial Shows Cancelled Prematurely ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Do you ever Rewatch Serial Shows Cancelled Prematurely ?

Serenity was enough resolution for me to keep rewatching Firefly.
Old 08-19-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I revisit Pushing Daisies on occasion.
Old 08-19-14, 11:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I loved Surface and Invasion as they aired; bought the DVD sets planning to re-watch them but it's been years now and they're still sealed as far as I know. I still look forward to viewing them again, but with so much backlog who knows when I'll get to them.
Old 08-19-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Agree about Human Target and Firefly. I rewatch those every so often. Others I like include Moonlight, Miracles (Skeet Ulrich can't get a break) and even tho it had a resolution, Kidnapped. And in the pretend the 2nd season never happened category, I would add Dark Blue.
I watched Moonlight when it originally aired. I bought the DVD set last year and rewatched it over two weeks. I didn't watch Miracles when it originally aired, but a friend had the set and I watched that one.
Old 08-19-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Nope, but was planning on rewatching Surface. Enjoyed it the first time around despite the bizarre ending.

I thought Surface was underrated, and the final scene in the show certainly set up what could have been an interesting second season. If the show popped up on a basic cable channel in HD I would probably revisit the series.
Old 08-19-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adventures of Brisco County Jr
Alien Nation
Alphas
Birds Of Prey
Blade
Cleopatra 2525
Crusade
Dark Angel
Dresden Files
Early Edition
Earth 2
Eerie Indiana
Eli Stone
Firefly
Gravity
Harsh Realm
Invisible Man
Jack Of All Trades
Jeremiah
Jericho
Joan Of Arcadia
Keen Eddie
Life
Life On Mars
Logan's Run
Moonlight
Night Stalker
No Ordinary Family
Odyssey 5
Planet Of The Apes
Pushing Daisies
Quark
Reaper
Stargate Universe
Space: Above and Beyond
Surface
Tales Of The Golden Monkey
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Voyagers!
Witchblade
Wonderfalls

I think all of these fall unders the listed requirements. I own all of these and I watch all of them occasionally. I will be adding Almost Human to that list when I get it.
Old 08-19-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I do go back and watch Terriers.
Old 08-19-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched Crusade without watching B5 so I'm not going to rewatch till I see that.
Old 08-19-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I enjoyed Invasion on DVD but can't really envision watching it again when there's so much else to watch. Surface has been lingering on the edges of my awareness, but I'll probably never get to it.

I heard enough good things about Almost Human that I'll probably watch it someday.

Yeah there is so much on right now and year round, I just don't have the time to re-visit any old cancelled shows that I already saw. I'd rather watch a new episode of The Strain, Dallas or The Last Ship than sit through something again that never finished. Most here already have thousands of hours of backlog from cheap shit they bought on sale. I have more then plenty to watch on my DVR and all of it is new content. I don't need to see Human Target, Invasion, Jericho again.
Old 08-19-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah there is so much on right now and year round, I just don't have the time to re-visit any old cancelled shows that I already saw. I'd rather watch a new episode of The Strain, Dallas or The Last Ship than sit through something again that never finished. Most here already have thousands of hours of backlog from cheap shit they bought on sale. I have more then plenty to watch on my DVR and all of it is new content. I don't need to see Human Target, Invasion, Jericho again.
There is alot of "good" new stuff out there. But if I liked a story or the characters of a series, I like to revisit the story once in a while. I also re-read books that I particularly like and that takes much more time than watching a show.

To each their own.
Old 08-19-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I do go back and watch Terriers.
Thankfully Terriers was largely self-contained. I would still love for them to get the movie follow-up done.
Old 08-19-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Thankfully Terriers was largely self-contained. I would still love for them to get the movie follow-up done.
Yeah, tho the door was open with the introduction of a character at the end.
Old 08-19-14, 02:12 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I've watched Rubicon three times now. Shame the balloon heads at AMC never released it on home video.
Old 08-19-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I actually tried to watch Jericho a few month ago but since I know it doesn't really go anywhere, I dropped it.
I binged on Jericho last year for the first time. While it doesn't come to a complete resolution, I don't feel it leaves everything up in the air. There are a few plot points introduced that don't get resolved, but it really is satisfying on an episode to episode basis. Some of the episodes can get a little silly, but it does a decent job of exploring what society in a town would become without communication to the outside world.

I'll add one more to the pot for discussion: Dead Like Me. This is the one I have probably watched most often over the years (and yet I didn't think of it right away).
Old 08-19-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This can be true some of the time. I'll agree right now there are more shows that I want to see than I can keep up with (I wanted to watch The Last Ship, but will have to wait for video). However there are also times when everything on is crap and I like to break out these "old" shows.
Old 08-19-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I occasionally re-watch Miracles, the short series starring Skeet Ulrich that got canceled. That show had amazing potential, the few episodes we got felt like a more religious version of The X-Files. That show would easily survive today on a cable network. I strongly recommend getting the DVD.
Old 08-19-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I've watched Rubicon three times now. Shame the balloon heads at AMC never released it on home video.
That would be on Warner moreso than AMC wouldn't it?
Old 08-19-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I thought Surface was underrated, and the final scene in the show certainly set up what could have been an interesting second season.
I liked Surface too. I wonder if it came out just a few years too early. Since it was cancelled, we've had popular giant monster from the sea movies like Pacific Rim and Godzilla.

Even though V ended incomplete, there's some pleasure to be gotten from where it left you.
Spoiler:
Having the annoying teenage brat get eaten by his lizard girlfriend was quite unexpected and satisfying (though I don't think the producer's were going for the latter reaction). And if you look at the aliens as the protagonists, then their entire plan came together perfectly at the end!
Old 08-19-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brainee
I liked Surface too. I wonder if it came out just a few years too early. Since it was cancelled, we've had popular giant monster from the sea movies like Pacific Rim and Godzilla.
Wasn't it trying to piggyback on the Lost/sci-fi phenomenon?
Old 08-19-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When people decide to write a new serial show, how far out are they thinking of story arcs? Are they just looking for season 1 and they'll figure out season 2, 3, etc if the show gets renewed? Are they thinking right away of what will happen in seasons 4-5-6?

Or do they simultaneously think of both? If the series isn't a hit and will likely only last a year, do they have an emergency story arc that won't kick in if they're clear the show has staying power?
Old 08-19-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
When people decide to write a new serial show, how far out are they thinking of story arcs? Are they just looking for season 1 and they'll figure out season 2, 3, etc if the show gets renewed? Are they thinking right away of what will happen in seasons 4-5-6?

Or do they simultaneously think of both? If the series isn't a hit and will likely only last a year, do they have an emergency story arc that won't kick in if they're clear the show has staying power?
David S. Goyer said he planned a 7 season arc for FlashForward. Look what happened to that show.

When Sons of Anarchy premiered, Kurt Sutter said from the very beginning that it was going to be a 7 season show and he got his wish.
Old 08-19-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It must suck to start a new show and expect to go seven years and treat season 1 as just setting the table for later season awesomeness and having your show cancelled because people thought the table setting was too slow.
Old 08-19-14, 04:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I binged on Jericho last year for the first time. While it doesn't come to a complete resolution, I don't feel it leaves everything up in the air. There are a few plot points introduced that don't get resolved, but it really is satisfying on an episode to episode basis. Some of the episodes can get a little silly, but it does a decent job of exploring what society in a town would become without communication to the outside world.

I'll add one more to the pot for discussion: Dead Like Me. This is the one I have probably watched most often over the years (and yet I didn't think of it right away).
Love the first season of Dead Like Me, never finished the second season or movie, but they're in my pile.

Fwiw, they did a "fourth season" of Jericho in comic book form to tie up the loose ends I hear.
Old 08-19-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If it ends on a true cliffhanger, not really yet if it ties up that story and kind of does a what next then it can be okay depending how it's done.
Old 08-19-14, 09:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah time definitely is an issue

I've been meaning to rewatch Jeremiah for a while now.

Dark Angel was one of my fav shows when it first aired (hence my username on dvdtalk) but i didn't think it aged well and when in tried to rewatch it a few years ago, i couldn't do it

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.