Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Food Truck Race Season 5 (Food Network, premieres 8/17/14)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will win the Great Food Truck Race 2014?
Beach Cruiser (Venice, Calif.) - healthy SoCal
0%
Chatty Chicken (Chattanooga) - Southern classics
0%
Gourmet Graduates (Providence) - gourmet dining hall
20.00%
Let There Be Bacon (Cleveland) - bacon
20.00%
Lone Star Chuck Wagon (Houston) - Texas
0%
Madres Mexican Meals (Norwalk, Calif.) - Mexican
20.00%
Middle Feast (Los Angeles) - Middle Eastern
20.00%
Military Moms (Fort Drum, N.Y.) - comfort food
0%
It's a toss-up for me
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This summer, The Great Food Truck Race returns for Season 5, premiering Sunday, Aug. 17 at 9|8c, with host Tyler Florence and eight brand-new food truck teams. This season’s high-stakes culinary road trip will take the hopefuls on a new route beginning in Southern California and culminating in a triple-city finale in Florida. None of the teams are current food truck operators — they’re hitting the ground as rookies. But they do have food skills, fresh concepts and entrepreneurial spirits, which they’ll need to rely on if they plan to make it to the end for a chance at winning their own food truck business and $50,000 in seed money.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the...ruck-race.html

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,124,0" width="400" height="323"><param name="movie" value="http://www.foodnetwork.com/etc/designs/food/clientlib/snap/snap-4.1.2-embed.swf?channelurl=h0225891-VIDEOhttp://www.foodnetwork.com/content/food/shows/t/the-great-food-truck-race/videos/season-5.videochannel.xml&channel=0225891"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"/><embed src="http://www.foodnetwork.com/etc/designs/food/clientlib/snap/snap-4.1.2-embed.swf?channelurl=h0225891-VIDEOhttp://www.foodnetwork.com/content/food/shows/t/the-great-food-truck-race/videos/season-5.videochannel.xml&channel=0225891" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width="400" height="323"/></object>
Old 08-17-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Great Food Truck Race Season 5 (Food Network, premieres 8/17/14)

I guess I'm pulling for Gourmet Grads -- I have a cousin with CP, so the fact that one of the guys on that team has it helped me connect with them. But I can't say I was impressed with their performance tonight.
Old 08-20-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was cool that the kid was out there in front.

Not overly thrilled with any of the teams, but the Mexican and Texas places look good. And of course there's always the eye-candy factor.

Zooey Deschanel's career must be sinking if she's working on a food truck.

at the gourmet guys making stuff with American cheese.
Old 08-20-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I'm only vaguely aware of the show and have caught random episodes in the past here and there, but is this the first time they've done newbie food truck people opposed to "established" ones? None of the groups stood out to me either, so I don't know who to root for yet.
Old 08-20-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I believe it was last season that none of the people had a food truck prior to the race and they yanked the trucks lent out to them back when they lost.

Either way, my interest in this show has gone way down with each passing season.
Old 08-20-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah cool, I just remember in the past seeing trucks that were fairly popular already here in California.
Old 08-21-14, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the Nom Nom truck and some others were very established, and they might have thought that was too much of an advantage. And of course there was the infamous disqualified truck (Korilla?). (Wikipedia says they put $2700 of their own cash in the till--"citation needed"). Maybe a combination of those factors led them to switch to rookie trucks. I know they've done that for at least one season.
Old 08-21-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the Middle Feast group so far.
Old 09-22-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So we're down to the finalists. I can't say I have a particular fondness for either team (or for any of them for that matter), but then none of them were annoying either (villain fail).

I thought the Middle Feast girl was kind of hot in a swarthy way.

It's been a perfectly decent season, but maybe food trucks are too 2011.
Old 09-22-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't watch yesterday's episode, but caught up on the one before that. While there might not be a villain, I hate what appears to be a huge ego from the dude on the Beach Cruiser team. There's been a few times where he's thrown out snide comments about the other trucks, and I thought him commenting on losing to a quesadilla was pretty douchey so I was glad to see them lose.
Old 09-22-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I didn't watch yesterday's episode, but caught up on the one before that. While there might not be a villain, I hate what appears to be a huge ego from the dude on the Beach Cruiser team. There's been a few times where he's thrown out snide comments about the other trucks, and I thought him commenting on losing to a quesadilla was pretty douchey so I was glad to see them lose.
Yeah, they got the losers' edit that week, talking about how they were priced lower than other trucks because of their "integrity," etc.
Old 09-22-14, 09:41 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Used to love this show, I spent most of last nights ep fast forwarding to the end. I'm just not into 'lets throw this bacon truck into a shrimp contest' anymore. Let them cook and stop with the road blocks and challenges. I'm done after this season.
Old 09-29-14, 02:21 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

I fast forwarded the finale, didn't care at all who won but my ocd needed to see it. Now I can delete this off my season pass.
Old 09-29-14, 09:51 AM

I'd have to say poll fail since there's no "I stopped watching and don't really care" option. After watching for 4 seasons I just couldn't be drawn back in again. I'm not sure the best trucks win. Too much is left to chance with the challenges and even the city they go to. Those citizens may just not be into that type of food where another city they'd just kill it.
Old 09-29-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I was slightly rooting for the Texas team because I got tired of the Middle Feast chef's persecuted attitude, but it didn't matter that much to me. At least Chuck Wagon can now take off their annoying cowboy hats.
Old 09-29-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed the finale and the season. Happy with The Middle Feast winning, that one bitch on the Texas truck was cocky and thought they weren't gonna have any trouble with them.