DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Play It Again, Dick - Veronica Mars spinoff series - starring Ryan Hansen (CW Seed) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621747-play-again-dick-veronica-mars-spinoff-series-starring-ryan-hansen-cw-seed.html)

dex14 01-15-14 04:16 PM

Play It Again, Dick - Veronica Mars spinoff series - starring Ryan Hansen (CW Seed)

The Veronica Mars comeback continues. On the heels of the long-gestating movie finally getting made this year through a kickstarter campaign, Veronica Mars also is getting a spinoff series, for now online only. The CW made the announcement at the top of its TCA presentation. No details were given about the series, which will be for the CW’s digital platform CW Seed, but it hails from Veronica Mars creator and the movie’s co-writer/director Rob Thomas. “He is very excited about it,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said, noting that Thomas will focus on the digital series after he completes work on the Veronica Mars movie as well as on a hot drama project he has at the CW, iZombie, which I hear looks very good for a pilot pickup. Pedowitz said the spinoff originated with the digital division of Warner Bros., the studio behind the original series, which reached out to CW Seed. The deal was sealed with a phone call by Pedowitz to Thomas who committed to the project. Thomas has concept ideas and plans for “potential people who could be involved” but nothing has been locked in yet, Pedowitz said. Since CW Seed is designed as an incubator that launches shows that could transition to TV, it is not inconceivable to see Veronica Mars back in primetime.

dex14 08-12-14 04:38 PM

Re: Veronica Mars - Spinoff series - starring Ryan Hansen

The Whole "Veronica Mars" Gang Is Coming Back For A New Web Series
Exclusive: Kristen Bell, Jason Dohring, and a dozen other Veronica Mars alums will co-star in Play It Again, Dick: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwiesel...r-a-new-webser

sven 08-12-14 06:12 PM

Re: Play It Again, Dick - Veronica Mars spinoff series - starring Ryan Hansen (CW See

I'm in!

madcougar 08-13-14 10:42 AM

Re: Play It Again, Dick - Veronica Mars spinoff series - starring Ryan Hansen (CW See

Hell. Yes.

Goat3001 08-13-14 10:55 AM

I'm in. Dick is a great character and the set up sounds promising.

What does 'web series' typically entail? Of course I know it means it won't be on TV but does it mean that something like Netflix/Hulu/Amazon can pick it up? Can you download the episodes and watch them on TV or are you stuck watching it on a computer screen?

mwbmis 08-13-14 11:53 AM

It all sounds a little too meta for me. I would be more enthusiastic about a straight Dick Casablancas web series.

Groucho 08-13-14 12:21 PM

"Web series" implies 10-minute chunks viewed from a website.

Original Desmond 08-13-14 02:59 PM

Man isn't Ryan hansen this generation's Ted Mcginley ?

he seems to be on sooo many cancelled shows but always survives to be on another.

Easy 08-13-14 04:14 PM

Bell plays a slightly skewed version of herself who has — begrudgingly — agreed to reprise her role as the titular sleuth for Hansen’s spin-off.
This doesn't sound good. If a series comes back to TV I would want it centered on Bell's VM character. If it isn't... no sale.

Gizmo 08-13-14 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12199115)
This doesn't sound good. If a series comes back to TV I would want it centered on Bell's VM character. If it isn't... no sale.

It's not coming back to TV. It's a web series.

sven 08-14-14 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 12199041)
Man isn't Ryan hansen this generation's Ted Mcginley ?

he seems to be on sooo many cancelled shows but always survives to be on another.

Not really. McGinley was known for joining well established shows and killing them.

Ryan Hansen has been on a couple of cancelled shows that nobody even knew about.

Easy 08-14-14 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 12199406)
It's not coming back to TV. It's a web series.

I know what it is.
This is the last sentence of the first post:

Since CW Seed is designed as an incubator that launches shows that could transition to TV, it is not inconceivable to see Veronica Mars back in primetime.
Hence my comment that any TV show should focus on the VM character.

mwbmis 08-14-14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12199802)
I know what it is.
This is the last sentence of the first post:

Hence my comment that any TV show should focus on the VM character.

I read the quote you bolded as the "Kristen Bell" character begrudgingly returning to make appearances in the show.

The latest I read from last month, they were still deciding what format to try to continue the Veronica Mars portion of the franchise. Bell as always was enthusiastic about doing it.

Easy 08-14-14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12199853)
I read the quote you bolded as the "Kristen Bell" character begrudgingly returning to make appearances in the show.

The latest I read from last month, they were still deciding what format to try to continue the Veronica Mars portion of the franchise. Bell as always was enthusiastic about doing it.

Well, Buzzfeed wrote it and they said "begrudgingly". I agree that contradicts enthusiastic... but either way I don't care much about the "Dick" show. Bring back Veronica Mars as the main character; I'm there.

Goat3001 08-14-14 02:25 PM

"begrudgingly" was meant to describe her metta character on "Play It Again Dick". Not that she actually begrudgingly accepted the role.

...I think

dex14 08-14-14 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 12200011)
"begrudgingly" was meant to describe her metta character on "Play It Again Dick". Not that she actually begrudgingly accepted the role.

...I think

Correct.

Easy 08-14-14 03:51 PM

So if I finally have this right, the actors are playing versions of themselves thinking about reprising their VM characters in a spin-off. Yeah... no thanks. Wake me for the next VM movie.

madcougar 08-14-14 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 12200103)
So if I finally have this right, the actors are playing versions of themselves thinking about reprising their VM characters in a spin-off. Yeah... no thanks.

:wave:

sven 08-15-14 04:40 AM

Just Blaze being Blaze.

dex14 09-06-14 07:50 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XB0aEonzPl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jimmy James 09-06-14 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sven (Post 12199524)
Not really. McGinley was known for joining well established shows and killing them.

Ryan Hansen has been on a couple of cancelled shows that nobody even knew about.

So the male Paula Marshall.

ETA: Wow. I never knew she was related to the worst, most bigoted member of the whole Virginia General Assembly.

dex14 09-11-14 03:25 PM

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="450" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=3780031840001&playerID=673439623001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1xMuE8k5NwJJtM9th7ul TVssP1QI3cp&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=3780031840001&playerID=673439623001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1xMuE8k5NwJJtM9t h7ulTVssP1QI3cp&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="450" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>