Reload this Page >

Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-05-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't see any threads for this yet. Apparently it's getting some pretty good buzz. Came out of Comic Con strong as well. I'm not familiar with the book's, but I'm intrigued by the premise and like Ronald Moore's previous works.

Airing: August 9, 2014
Sassenach
In the series premiere of this cable drama, a married British combat nurse time-travels from World War II to 1743 Scotland, is kidnapped by Highlanders and tends to an injured young warrior.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hkizwJUiVjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also the premier appears available on many channels. It's on official You Tube channel. I checked FIOS on demand, but not under free weekend.

Last edited by Superman07; 08-05-14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Re: Outlander -- Pilot / Sassenach -- Starz -- 8-9-14

For those unaware, this is produced by Ronald D. Moore of Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Helix fame as Superman just stated.

It's a 16 episode 1st season order. 8 will air this summer/Fall. The 2nd half will air next year

It officially airs Saturday at 9pm, but is already available On demand.

I'm honestly not sure how much time/interest others here will have for this. It's a period time traveling drama with some romance storylines. Starz isn't a really popular premium channel in these parts either.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-05-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronald Moore is the only reason I'm interested in this. Otherwise the synopsis alone sounds like a cheesy romance movie.
Old 08-06-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I am aware of the novels; they seem to be sort of popular, but the premise sounds really fucking boring and not something I would be interested in. Never mind that there are something like ten books (and counting) in the series.
Old 08-06-14, 10:42 PM

I'm not too familiar with the novels but it looks good enough to check out.
Old 08-06-14, 10:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not terribly familiar w/the novels either other than knowing they exist. The wife seems interested in checking this out so I'll likely tag along.
Old 08-07-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh, watched the first episode. Found it pretty boring and sappy. If someone told me it was based on a Danielle Steel album I'd totally believe it.
Old 08-07-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching it now with my wife at a friends house.
-Seattle/Denver football game on Lightning Delay.
Old 08-07-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My theory
Spoiler:

She marries the guy in the past that is the ancestor of her 1945 husband and she gets knocked up. So in 1945, she was married to her own great, great.....grandson.

Old 08-08-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was interesting, but agree it was much slower than I anticipated.

I actually felt the 1945 portions were more interesting, which probably wasn't the intent. Those portions actually felt more alive. Much like our central character the past felt wobbly and unsure. I think the past would have benefited from some urgency or obstacle to overcome. Bit of a climactic moment.

My guess is this followed the book closely, because it literally felt like a chapter was ending.

I'll have to see about Starz access. I wasn't wowed, bit I'd at least watch season 1 to see how thing progress. I definitely like the idea. I'd be curious if we get more present scenes with Frank trying to find out what happened. I imagine all of his historical digging would turn something up.

Do any of the streaming services have exclusivity to Starz?
Old 08-08-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

Do any of the streaming services have exclusivity to Starz?
Starz, like HBO, has their own streaming service called Starz Play, but you need to be a Starz subscriber. I have Starz and it's just about as good as HBO Go (streaming wise) with what Starz has in it's library.
Old 08-09-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

That was not very good.
Old 08-10-14, 12:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was interested in it enough to give it a few more tries, but it was really slow.

I thought the background music playing during the scenes from the 1700s was incredibly annoying.
Old 08-10-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I presume this is a series intended for the female demo that likes historical romance. With her future knowledge, she'll become the most important person in the village. I thought parts of it were very slow, almost languid. That was strange for a pilot meant to hook viewers, but I guess they are closely following the novel. I did like the lead actress in her role.

The one stylistic problem I had was the constant, and I mean constant, voiceover narration.
Old 08-11-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
My theory
Spoiler:

She marries the guy in the past that is the ancestor of her 1945 husband and she gets knocked up. So in 1945, she was married to her own great, great.....grandson.

It almost sounds like Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann with your description.
Old 08-11-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I presume this is a series intended for the female demo that likes historical romance. With her future knowledge, she'll become the most important person in the village. I thought parts of it were very slow, almost languid. That was strange for a pilot meant to hook viewers, but I guess they are closely following the novel. I did like the lead actress in her role.

The one stylistic problem I had was the constant, and I mean constant, voiceover narration.
I'm reading the book and I'm up to the events of the show so far. The show is more interesting than the book imho, and hotter. Personally I like the narration, which is line per line with the book.

Last edited by covenant; 08-11-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

8 will air this summer/Fall. The 2nd half will air next year
Shit like this just reminds me why I quit watching shows as they air and just wait until they are done. With the exception of Game of Thrones.
Old 08-12-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

Just watched the first show. Thought it was pretty good and I will be watching the rest. Never heard of the books before and I am an avid reader of time travel stories. Will have to check them out.
Old 08-13-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

I finished this last night and yes it was super slow, but the 2nd half of it I found quite compelling. Even though it's from a big Sci-Fi producer like Ronald D. Moore, this is obviously geared more towards a female demographic like a romance novel. I can see how not too many men would be attracted to this show. And most period shows like this don't seem to get alot of geeky buzz that forums like this thrive on.

It's definitely a different take on the whole time traveling premise. I think once Claire was transported to 1700's Scotland, things picked up with the adventure and fish out of water premise. I enjoyed hearing Gaelic dialogue being spoken and how the Highlanders were baffled at the language Claire was using and her medical knowledge.

I have Starz, so I'll at least watch the 1st 8 episodes airing this summer and see where it goes. I'm not in love with them doing the split season though.
Old 08-15-14, 09:45 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Already renewed for Season 2... so most likely wont go passed that if you follow other Starz shows.

http://tvline.com/2014/08/15/outland...renewal-starz/
Old 08-15-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was pretty terrific. Guess I am in the minority.
Old 08-17-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

I read the first 3 books--Outlander got me back into reading about 20 years ago. They'd only be "historical romance" to people who don't read genre historical romance, but I do think they're adventure/ historical books with a lot of romance in them. I loathed the voiceover narration as well. It seemed at times like a book on tape with some moving pictures added. Hope it improves, because I loved the books. Funny how I couldn't get through the Game of Thrones books when they came out, but love the show. This one seems to work much better as a book for me so far.
Old 08-17-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm finding the second episode excruciatingly boring, and the horrible voiceovers never seem to stop. Unless something crazy happens at the end of this episode, I think I'm out. I'm so disappointed that this is what Ronald D. Moore is spending his time on. He's better than this.
Old 08-17-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
I'm finding the second episode excruciatingly boring, and the horrible voiceovers never seem to stop. Unless something crazy happens at the end of this episode, I think I'm out. I'm so disappointed that this is what Ronald D. Moore is spending his time on. He's better than this.
I glanced at your Blu Ray collection, lots of great stuff but not really surprised you don't like this.

I thought the second episode was terrific. The pacing does not bother me at all.
Old 08-17-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The pacing would be fine... if there was even anything remotely interesting going on. There isn't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.