DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621623-outlander-starz-season-1-thread-8-9-14-developed-ronald-d-moore.html)

Superman07 08-05-14 09:25 PM

Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

I didn't see any threads for this yet. Apparently it's getting some pretty good buzz. Came out of Comic Con strong as well. I'm not familiar with the book's, but I'm intrigued by the premise and like Ronald Moore's previous works.

http://outlandertvnews.com/wp-conten...68731850_n.jpg

Airing: August 9, 2014
Sassenach
In the series premiere of this cable drama, a married British combat nurse time-travels from World War II to 1743 Scotland, is kidnapped by Highlanders and tends to an injured young warrior.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hkizwJUiVjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also the premier appears available on many channels. It's on official You Tube channel. I checked FIOS on demand, but not under free weekend.

DJariya 08-05-14 10:16 PM

Re: Outlander -- Pilot / Sassenach -- Starz -- 8-9-14

For those unaware, this is produced by Ronald D. Moore of Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Helix fame as Superman just stated.

It's a 16 episode 1st season order. 8 will air this summer/Fall. The 2nd half will air next year

It officially airs Saturday at 9pm, but is already available On demand.

I'm honestly not sure how much time/interest others here will have for this. It's a period time traveling drama with some romance storylines. Starz isn't a really popular premium channel in these parts either.

flashburn 08-06-14 07:49 PM

Ronald Moore is the only reason I'm interested in this. Otherwise the synopsis alone sounds like a cheesy romance movie.

Josh-da-man 08-06-14 10:30 PM

I am aware of the novels; they seem to be sort of popular, but the premise sounds really fucking boring and not something I would be interested in. Never mind that there are something like ten books (and counting) in the series.

birdseye 08-06-14 10:42 PM

I'm not too familiar with the novels but it looks good enough to check out.

Geofferson 08-06-14 10:43 PM

I'm not terribly familiar w/the novels either other than knowing they exist. The wife seems interested in checking this out so I'll likely tag along.

flashburn 08-07-14 06:25 PM

Meh, watched the first episode. Found it pretty boring and sappy. If someone told me it was based on a Danielle Steel album I'd totally believe it.

Iron_Giant 08-07-14 09:10 PM

Watching it now with my wife at a friends house.
-Seattle/Denver football game on Lightning Delay.

resinrats 08-07-14 11:35 PM

My theory
Spoiler:

She marries the guy in the past that is the ancestor of her 1945 husband and she gets knocked up. So in 1945, she was married to her own great, great.....grandson.

Superman07 08-08-14 09:56 PM

I thought it was interesting, but agree it was much slower than I anticipated.

I actually felt the 1945 portions were more interesting, which probably wasn't the intent. Those portions actually felt more alive. Much like our central character the past felt wobbly and unsure. I think the past would have benefited from some urgency or obstacle to overcome. Bit of a climactic moment.

My guess is this followed the book closely, because it literally felt like a chapter was ending.

I'll have to see about Starz access. I wasn't wowed, bit I'd at least watch season 1 to see how thing progress. I definitely like the idea. I'd be curious if we get more present scenes with Frank trying to find out what happened. I imagine all of his historical digging would turn something up.

Do any of the streaming services have exclusivity to Starz?

DJariya 08-08-14 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 12194301)

Do any of the streaming services have exclusivity to Starz?

Starz, like HBO, has their own streaming service called Starz Play, but you need to be a Starz subscriber. I have Starz and it's just about as good as HBO Go (streaming wise) with what Starz has in it's library.

starseed1981 08-09-14 11:38 PM

That was not very good.

MrX 08-10-14 12:33 PM

I was interested in it enough to give it a few more tries, but it was really slow.

I thought the background music playing during the scenes from the 1700s was incredibly annoying.

PhantomStranger 08-10-14 01:13 PM

I presume this is a series intended for the female demo that likes historical romance. With her future knowledge, she'll become the most important person in the village. I thought parts of it were very slow, almost languid. That was strange for a pilot meant to hook viewers, but I guess they are closely following the novel. I did like the lead actress in her role.

The one stylistic problem I had was the constant, and I mean constant, voiceover narration.

mrhan 08-11-14 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 12193387)
My theory
Spoiler:

She marries the guy in the past that is the ancestor of her 1945 husband and she gets knocked up. So in 1945, she was married to her own great, great.....grandson.

:lol: It almost sounds like Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann with your description.

covenant 08-11-14 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12195302)
I presume this is a series intended for the female demo that likes historical romance. With her future knowledge, she'll become the most important person in the village. I thought parts of it were very slow, almost languid. That was strange for a pilot meant to hook viewers, but I guess they are closely following the novel. I did like the lead actress in her role.

The one stylistic problem I had was the constant, and I mean constant, voiceover narration.

I'm reading the book and I'm up to the events of the show so far. The show is more interesting than the book imho, and hotter. Personally I like the narration, which is line per line with the book.

Maxflier 08-11-14 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12190976)

8 will air this summer/Fall. The 2nd half will air next year

Shit like this just reminds me why I quit watching shows as they air and just wait until they are done. With the exception of Game of Thrones.

MScottM 08-12-14 09:55 AM

Re: Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

Just watched the first show. Thought it was pretty good and I will be watching the rest. Never heard of the books before and I am an avid reader of time travel stories. Will have to check them out.

DJariya 08-13-14 11:55 AM

Re: Outlander (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 8/9/14 -- developed by Ronald D. Moore

I finished this last night and yes it was super slow, but the 2nd half of it I found quite compelling. Even though it's from a big Sci-Fi producer like Ronald D. Moore, this is obviously geared more towards a female demographic like a romance novel. I can see how not too many men would be attracted to this show. And most period shows like this don't seem to get alot of geeky buzz that forums like this thrive on.

It's definitely a different take on the whole time traveling premise. I think once Claire was transported to 1700's Scotland, things picked up with the adventure and fish out of water premise. I enjoyed hearing Gaelic dialogue being spoken and how the Highlanders were baffled at the language Claire was using and her medical knowledge.

I have Starz, so I'll at least watch the 1st 8 episodes airing this summer and see where it goes. I'm not in love with them doing the split season though.

dex14 08-15-14 09:45 AM

Already renewed for Season 2... so most likely wont go passed that if you follow other Starz shows. ;)

http://tvline.com/2014/08/15/outland...renewal-starz/

johnnysd 08-15-14 11:32 PM

I thought it was pretty terrific. Guess I am in the minority.

tasha99 08-17-14 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12195302)

I read the first 3 books--Outlander got me back into reading about 20 years ago. They'd only be "historical romance" to people who don't read genre historical romance, but I do think they're adventure/ historical books with a lot of romance in them. I loathed the voiceover narration as well. It seemed at times like a book on tape with some moving pictures added. Hope it improves, because I loved the books. Funny how I couldn't get through the Game of Thrones books when they came out, but love the show. This one seems to work much better as a book for me so far.

flashburn 08-17-14 10:18 AM

I'm finding the second episode excruciatingly boring, and the horrible voiceovers never seem to stop. Unless something crazy happens at the end of this episode, I think I'm out. I'm so disappointed that this is what Ronald D. Moore is spending his time on. He's better than this.

johnnysd 08-17-14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 12202369)
I'm finding the second episode excruciatingly boring, and the horrible voiceovers never seem to stop. Unless something crazy happens at the end of this episode, I think I'm out. I'm so disappointed that this is what Ronald D. Moore is spending his time on. He's better than this.

I glanced at your Blu Ray collection, lots of great stuff but not really surprised you don't like this.

I thought the second episode was terrific. The pacing does not bother me at all.

flashburn 08-17-14 04:19 PM

The pacing would be fine... if there was even anything remotely interesting going on. There isn't.