Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Partners (FX) -- New Comedy with Kelsey Grammer & Martin Lawrence -- Premieres 8/4/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Partners (FX) -- New Comedy with Kelsey Grammer & Martin Lawrence -- Premieres 8/4/14

Old 08-04-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The series premiere of FX's newest 10/90 comedy, Partners starring Martin Lawrence and Kelsey Grammer has been set for Monday, August 4. FX will air two back-to-back episodes of the show from 9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT for five consecutive weeks. Also beginning August 4, Anger Management will move to Mondays and air back-to-back episodes from 10:00-11:00 PM ET/PT immediately following Partners. In Partners, Grammer and Lawrence play two Chicago lawyers from vastly different backgrounds who unexpectedly meet in court as they each face a personal crisis. Marcus Jackson (Lawrence) is a kind-hearted community activist going through a heartbreaking divorce when he meets Allen Braddock (Grammer), an elitist lawyer who has just been fired from his father's firm. Brought together by fate and desperation, they develop a partnership and friendship, forcing each other to find the balance between the ethical and the unscrupulous in both their professional and personal lives. Other series regulars include Telma Hopkins, Rory O'Malley, McKaley Miller, Edi Patterson and Daničle Watts. Bob Boyett and Robert Horn serve as Executive Producers and Showrunners. Executive Producers also include Martin Lawrence, Kelsey Grammer, Brian Sher, Stella Bulochnikov, Michael Green and Sam Maydew. The series is produced by Lionsgate Television in association with Grammnet NH Productions and You Go Boy Productions.

Key thing to note:

FX ordered 10 episodes of Partners as part of a unique syndication model crafted by Debmar-Mercury for multiple sitcoms. As is standard with the 10/90 model, if the series meets designated ratings thresholds over its first 10-episode run, the network will trigger an additional 90-episode order.

Premieres tonight

I don't know how many here is interested in watching this. Most of you hate sitcoms formatted like this.

Episode 1 synopsis:

Episode 1 / Production #1003- "They Come Together" (Airs August 4, 9:00 pm e/p) - Meeting in court on the worst day of their lives, do-good community lawyer Marcus Jackson meets unscrupulous corporate reject Allen Braddock, forming an unexpected partnership. Written by Bob Boyett & Robert Horn; directed by Kelsey Grammer.
Old 08-04-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Partners (FX) -- New Comedy with Kelsey Grammer & Martin Lawrence -- Premieres 8/

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't know how many here is interested in watching this. Most of you hate sitcoms formatted like this.
Huh? The format has nothing to do with it. These shows are the bane of what most multi-camera sitcoms are today -- unfunny and poorly written. Anger Management is garbage and Saint George was painful.

This will most likely fall in to this same category. I just wish Kelsey Grammer would get a break. Boss was canceled too soon.
Old 08-04-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Partners (FX) -- New Comedy with Kelsey Grammer & Martin Lawrence -- Premieres 8/

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Huh? The format has nothing to do with it. These shows are the bane of what most multi-camera sitcoms are today -- unfunny and poorly written. Anger Management is garbage and Saint George was painful.

This will most likely fall in to this same category. I just wish Kelsey Grammer would get a break. Boss was canceled too soon.
Does this show have a laugh track?
Old 08-04-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Does this show have a laugh track?
Yup, sure does
Old 08-04-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, sure does
Pass. No laugh tracks for me, ever. I'm done.
Old 08-04-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had me at "Martin Lawrence"... and by "had me" I mean that it sold me on NOT watching.
Old 08-04-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just know the commercials I keep seeing during Married and You're the Worst look terrible.
Old 08-05-14, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This looks largely like TV executives throwing two disparate fan-bases together and hoping there is enough demographic pull to earn a full commitment. I don't think anyone working on this project has any illusions they are working on the next great sitcom.
Old 08-05-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Completely dead on arrival. Moreso that Anger Management was.
Old 08-05-14, 09:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Would check it out because of Grammer... but I'm guessing it sucked?
Old 08-05-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I taped this last night but don't have high hopes.
Old 08-05-14, 11:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this was awful. Martin Lawrence seemed out of it the whole time. i was strangely fascinated by what a train wreck this was. awful, awful tv from 2 pretty likable stars...
Old 08-05-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Would check it out because of Grammer... but I'm guessing it sucked?
Yeah, it was incredibly bad. I'm a big Grammer fan too, I even liked that bad fox sitcom he had five years ago. It's a trainwreck. I already deleted my season pass.
Old 08-05-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Yeah, it was incredibly bad. I'm a big Grammer fan too, I even liked that bad fox sitcom he had five years ago. It's a trainwreck. I already deleted my season pass.
Saves your from recording the 90 episode 2nd season. Unlike George Lopez's show, which didn't reach that goal, I'm betting with this will get the 90 episode greenlight.
Old 08-05-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I haven't watched a conventional sitcom in ages, not even "good" ones like Big Bang Theory... but this was downright awful.
Old 08-28-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell has happened to Martin Lawrence? Did he suffer a stroke? He looks and sounds like a punch drunk former fighter; I wonder if perhaps he is under the influence of some sort of psychiatric medication. He was such an energetic performer that It's painful to watch now (aside from the dismal writing).

Last edited by mike7162; 08-28-14 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-28-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saves your from recording the 90 episode 2nd season. Unlike George Lopez's show, which didn't reach that goal, I'm betting with this will get the 90 episode greenlight.
It's get lower ratings....so I can't imagine FX renewing this.
Old 08-28-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't sleep last night and threw on one of the more recent episodes; I haven't deleted the season pass yet and they're all on my DVR. What a train wreck...I never imagined something so bad with those two as the leads.
Old 08-28-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The ratings for this are half of Married and You're The Worst, both of which are also a toss up for renewal at best. This is a goner.